Noche Buena | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Noche BuenaNoche Buena

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: Bock

Added by UncleJimbo on 12-28-2002

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 91 | Ratings: 214
2.36/5  rDev -29.8%

Rich and clean Mexican beer smell.

Beautiful red orange appearance

It went downhill with the taste. It's as devoid of substance as a keystone.

The mouthfeel is bubbly, like champaign. It feels artificially carbonated. If you like bubbly water, you might like this.

Speaking of bubbly water, it tastes watered down.

I found myself just waiting for this beerish drink to be over.

3.34/5  rDev -0.6%

Got a bottle of this shipped to me by dear (now dearer!) friends in Mexico City.

Pours a darkish brown, slightly bronze, with a rapidly dissipating, bubbly head (though I'm drinking from a glass that's been washed in very hard Berlin water, so I assume no beer is going to perform like it should, head-wise). Streaming, constant carbonation gives it a nice appearance.

Smells really quite nice, with a distinct bit of yeast, tea-like hop, and honey-cake malt sweetness - much more interesting than your average Mexican lager.

In the mouth, medium-light, softened by carbonation - easy-drinking. Balance in the flavor is nice enough, though it leans a bit to the sweeter, breadier side of things. A light and slightly citric, apple-skin bitterness is in there too, especially in the dry finish. Caramel and toffee in the woody aftertaste.

Not life-changing, but I'd certainly not turn it down. A solid amber brew, if not a true bock.

3.26/5  rDev -3%

It's that time of the year again, and we get this beer again. If I didn't give it a shot, then i'd have to wait another year....

Sexy looks, brown mahogany with an off white foam that sticks around for a while.

Smells a nice balance of malts and hops, but nothing special..

Taste is the same, some sweetness and perfectly balanced. Yet again, not quite special though. Somewhat astringent aftertaste.

Very bubbly, lots of carbonation.

It's not a big deal, but it's very damn enjoyable, and considering it comes from a macro (with macro pricing)...it's actually good. For less than $10usd a 12-box.... there's no room for complaints.

3.64/5  rDev +8.3%

This is Noche Buena 2010 and came from a Variety Pack that I picked up at Sam's Club for what I thought a good price of $20.00. Not many imports at that price. I like Dos XX in general and thought this would be a holiday treat.

There are so many bock beers that you could get lost for the rest of your life just sampling bocks. This one is good, but I don't really think it has anything over any good American bock beer.

I liked it, it didn't take me "off to old Mexico", but on a cold night here in western Minnesota it will fill the void nicely

4.5/5  rDev +33.9%

I was finally able to get a 12pack in Monterrey a
few months ago had heard about it for years + the
price couldn't be beat either 55 pesos (about 5$)
which is cheaper than even Tecate!

Taste is excellent (like all GOOD mexican beers -
of which most are) you don't need lime/salt and I
like it being on the strong side 5.9% which makes
for a change from my everyday fave Indio which is
also distributed by Cerv. Cuauthemoc, this one is
a bit of a bock, a bit of an amber. Good hybrid!!
IMO it's best to enjoy during the holidays though
it'll be 100 tomorrow (well later today) so gonna
enjoy them as cold as my fridge can be (unless 2+
of y'all can convince me to keep my last precious
3 for summer drinking)

4.4/5  rDev +31%

A dark amber colored pour into a mug. With the kind of aroma in the nose that meant good beer, some 18 years ago, when I first sampled this Mexican holiday classic. A delicious presentation from start to finish. Wonderfully drinkable, with expert balance between malts and ample hops support.
First created in 1920, this is an outstanding example of Christmas bock... if only you are fortunate enough to find it.

3.47/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - It poured with a transparent amber hue with almost no head whatsoever

S - The scent is of toffee and caramel malts, but there is also a faintly skunky scent at the end

T - The taste follows the nose quite closely, but introduces faint earthy hops to the mix. They're subtle, but there. However, I can't tell if the earthyness is from the hops or if the brew is slightly skunky in general.

M - Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O - It's definitely a middle of the road, easy drinker. There is absolutely nothing about it that stands out as overly bad or good.

Reads 5.4% by Vol. on bottle. I have not seen this beer in the stores since the early 80's back then it was one of the best on store shelves. We used to go out of our way to buy this malty beer. I paid $13.99/12pk today oh well...

Appearance- is average deep brown and clear. Pours and holds a good head.
Smell- whisp's of alcohol and caramel
Taste- first taste was cheap alcohol, adjuct grain or sugar then malt finish
mouthfeel-First sip bites you a little, after that it gets a little smoother, finish is dry.
Overall- ok, I put in the american bock catagory not horrible but not of a german breed.
I think its a Dos EquisXX Amber with some boost added to it. It tastes like that exactly.
One of the best beers from mexico
Cheers!

3.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

smells clean in glass, malt.

red brown amber color through glass, filtered.

lacing is fine, head is not super prominent.

taste is sugary sweet, malty.

crisp on tongue.

no hop taste or smell that i can really detect...

This is an ok beer, but the overly sugary aftertaste detracts for me. Makes me think adjunct.

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

For whatever reason, this is the first I've heard tell of this stuff, found it in a holiday variety 24-pack along with both types of Dos Equis. It is light bodied for the style, which is what you'd expect from a Mexican dark. It's very close to rival Negra Modelo; this is a little richer and roastier, the Negra Modelo a little lighter and finishes a bit cleaner. If you like Mexi-darks, you'll like this just fine. It, or an equivalent dark from this brewer, ought to be available year-round, I'm somewhat surprised they don't really have anything to counter the Modelo unless it's Christmas season. While we're at it, this brewer really needs to get the Bohemia in 12-packs. A very drinkable and pleasant Mexi-dark.

4.77/5  rDev +42%

This may favorite winter beer

Appearance: Good cling, good cream compact foam

Smell: Mature Caramel malt and a little bit toasted bread

Taste: Great balance between caramel malt and bitterness (sweet and bitter)

After taste: grain, caramel and a little bit coffee note.

4.74/5  rDev +41.1%

I too am a sucker for mexican beers so i was at cotco and picked this one up. It comes in a 24 pack along with dos equis lager regular. It was exceptional .. I think i am a fan of cuauhtemocs dark beers they brew because this is the 3rd best beer ive had from here. Dark but smoooth !!!

This beer is a seasonal brew and only comes out during the Holidays. It is in par with what I think is the best Mexican beer; Bohemia.
A- The head is about 1 finger and lingers enough to get the first couple of drinks.
B- Aroma is good and pleasant.
c- Taste is better than expected. Especially if the only thing you have ever had is Tecate or Corona which is nothing more than the Bud and Coors of Mexico.
I look forward to drinking this when in Mexico during the Holidays. Maybe that is the aura that surrounds this beer. The fact that it is the Christmas beer.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

To clarify, I am giving my opinion on the new Bohemia version of Noche Buena.

First of all, let me say I am not sophisticated enough to truly comment on the look and smell. I mostly prefer to drink my beer from the bottle, but for this review I poured it in a glass.

I love Christmas beers. Noche Buena pours out the same color as the beautifully eye pleasing bottle. It looks dark cold, and promising. The gold foil brings with it a sense of festivity and grandness.

As I savor the aroma I detect the distinct odor of well...beer.

Not much of a fan of hoppy, piney and skunky beers, I seem to prefer lagers, high end and flavorful, but Lagers.

Noche Buena Bohemia delivers full flavor and a very satisfying delivery with something I love in my beer, a clean but strong finish.

We all have our regular go to beers, this one is a notch above like Christmas is a notch above a regular day. It adds a special dimension that makes the moment a bit more special. Christmas is not a day for any old beer.

I am NOT saying it's the best beer I ever had, simply that they pack a lot of fullness and flavor in a beautifully wrapped little bottle, and in a perfect balance for me. Merry Christmas!

3.96/5  rDev +17.9%

Some friends in Mexico City turned me on to this beer on my last visit. Its seasonal and more of a traditional Mexican / Vienna Lager (like Dos Eques & Negro Modelo). What struck me the most is the yeasty aroma. Being a home brewer it was refreshing to get that smell from a commercial bottled beer. I found the beer quite drinkable and a nice break from the other standard beers in one gets in Mexico.

And no need to worry, any bartender in Mexico knows better than to put a damn lime in a beer!

4.08/5  rDev +21.4%

This annual Mexican holiday brew is always a favorite. It is generally available November or December, but even then it is a little hard to find. Lightly spiced bock...though I would move it more towards a Vienna lager style. Worth smuggling a case north of the border ...sorry compadres de cerveza... you can't keep it all! Of course you can legally bring a couple up anyway!

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Noche Buena from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.