Noche Buena | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Noche BuenaNoche Buena

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
cuamoc.com

Style: Bock

Added by UncleJimbo on 12-28-2002

3.29/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.13/5  rDev -6.8%

4.14/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is a winter season beer in Mexico and it is different every year, It would be great if this were all year available but no, stock goes fast, beer drinkers buy boxes to store at home.

3.49/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

No doubt the best beer produced in Mexico (with Negra Modelo or Bohemia Oscura being second with a bit of distance between the two). Wish it was available all year round but then it wouldn't be this special. I was only able to have a few bottles as I arrived in late January and the people kind enough to let me drink a few had some saved from the holiday season and it was no longer available in stores. A must try during the holidays!

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.1/5  rDev +22%

To clarify, I am giving my opinion on the new Bohemia version of Noche Buena.

First of all, let me say I am not sophisticated enough to truly comment on the look and smell. I mostly prefer to drink my beer from the bottle, but for this review I poured it in a glass.

I love Christmas beers. Noche Buena pours out the same color as the beautifully eye pleasing bottle. It looks dark cold, and promising. The gold foil brings with it a sense of festivity and grandness.

As I savor the aroma I detect the distinct odor of well...beer.

Not much of a fan of hoppy, piney and skunky beers, I seem to prefer lagers, high end and flavorful, but Lagers.

Noche Buena Bohemia delivers full flavor and a very satisfying delivery with something I love in my beer, a clean but strong finish.

We all have our regular go to beers, this one is a notch above like Christmas is a notch above a regular day. It adds a special dimension that makes the moment a bit more special. Christmas is not a day for any old beer.

I am NOT saying it's the best beer I ever had, simply that they pack a lot of fullness and flavor in a beautifully wrapped little bottle, and in a perfect balance for me. Merry Christmas!

3.13/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottle poured into a pint glass from a local brewery in Cabo San Lucas. I recall drinking this beer before my craft days, thinking that it was some sort of dark god. How times have changed. This reddish brown concoction may stand out a bit in a landscape of yellow fizzy beach brews but is an average bock at best, below average truth be told. Does show some light tan head but with a curiously fizzy thin body and an aroma that is strangely alcohol-forward, boozy and medicinal rather than richly sweet and fruity, although I do get a whiff of cherry cough syrup. The flavor is devoid of clear roasted or chocolate elements. There are some cherry, sultana raisin, and peach notes poking out here and there along with a brown sugar backbone that somehow manages to underperform compared to a brew like Negra Modelo. I am having to pay too much attention to taste the fruit notes and I'm simply not getting the big dark molasses flavor others are claiming. Like a Mexican Shiner Bock. Finish is on the grainy and medicinal side. Its not awful but I think I'll refrain from buying a 12-pack next time.

3.44/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -0.3%

3.64/5  rDev +8.3%

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a good, solid bock-type lager, quite enjoyable with pizza.

Brown copper, it has a big pale tan head slowly shrinking.

Aroma caramelised barley, caramelised bread crust, yeast, pine crust, woody herb, hint sulphur.

Taste is nice, sweet toffee, caremlised bread, hint of wine up front, drier toasty finish, light leafy-woody finish. It has a bit of a basic, mass-produced quality but it is very good, full-bodied in character and very enjoyable.

Noche Buena from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.