Tecate | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

poor
poor
Read the review
TecateTecate

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
cuamoc.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by pezoids on 05-20-2001

Reviews: 578 | Ratings: 1,977

The 5 star rating may be confusing, but compared to other Mexican beers, this deserves 5 stars. If your like me, you like bolder beers. Tecate, bold? I know your thinking, what the hell is wrong with this guy??? But as I mentioned before, I am comparing this to other Mexican beers (Corona, Sol, Modelo, Dos Equis) this is definitely on the bolder side. I can actually taste a little bit of hop. It's watery compared to beers I REALLY enjoy(Dales Pale Ale, Laggunitas Brown Shugga, Starr Hill Northern Lights IPA) but those beers are in a COMPLETELY different category. I love good beer, but I am no beer snob. Most weeks I can't afford the good stuff. So I drink a lot of lower end beer. And as awful as it sounds, I don't think its that bad. I actually enjoy the taste of an AAL. So yes, it gets 5 stars from me, because compared to other Mexican beers this actually tastes like beer.
Look-golden amber, looks good for what it is
Smell-Like a corn adjuncted aal
Taste-typical aal with some citrusy hop, and some sweet grainy malts
Feel-bubbly, smooth, grainy dry finish
Overall-my favorite Mexican cerveza yet!

Haha I'm a bit of a beer snob but tecate....tecate and I go way back. This beer is the best cheap beer in the market. Tied up with PBR. Best party beer when you don't wanna break out the good stuff ;) rub a little lime, salt, and cayenne on the rim of the can and have a good time. Best when chasing tequilas.

4.7/5  rDev +80.1%

i go down to mexico every december and this is the most popular beer in the town, trevino. which is located right outside of monterrey where it's brewed so it's always fresh. This beer is amazing, it is way better when bought in mexico than it is in america. even the ones in texas don't taste the same. never buy in a bottle you will be disappointed. canned is the way to go. at five dollars a 6pack you cant beat it. by far my favorite beer and mexico's finest. i wanna brush my teeth with it

4.58/5  rDev +75.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I only drink beers with a dash of bloody mary mix, in this case it was delicious! I haven't enjoyed it at home yet, I tend to go for the cheaper beers to mix at home. Pints & Quarts in Lacey, Wa is where the bartender recommended tecate for red beer.

4.5/5  rDev +72.4%

Tecate. The Black Bird. Mexican!
I like this beer a lot. It's great to drink straight outta the can/bottle or adding some lime and/or salt to the rim. I love it with tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, chalupas, rice, nachos, beans, re-fried beans, tortillas and salsa, and so much more. It is a perfect beach beer. Cold from the cracked styrofoam cooler as you lounge with some hot babes and the suns in your eyes. Drink some Tecate and then go boogie boarding. You'll love it.

4.44/5  rDev +70.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The beer is very light with a slight sweet taste of corn, but the bitterness of a lime easily balances this beer out to give it the distinct flavor of a Mexican lager. I consider it a daytime, summer beer. The head is thin, with large bubbles that dissipate quickly. The hue is more of a transparent pale yellow, than light gold with adequate carbonation. However, the taste, smell and feel redeem this beer and put it on par with or better than the much more heavily marketed and thus popular and slightly heavier Corona. I was originally introduced to this beer in a small town outside of Nuevo-Laredo, Mexico many years ago from a distinctly Mexican run-down but quaint "hole in the wall" that only sold Tecate and therefore I have a special fondness for this beer. No matter where I am in the world, if I go to a Tex-Mex or Mexican restaurant for lunch or early dinner, Tecate is my first choice of beer, if the establishment is authentic enough to carry it, as it brings the ambiance of a quaint Northern Mexican village to my dining experience. As such, It automatically makes the food and experience seem much more authentic. This beer goes great with Tex-Mex or popular traditional Mexican dishes and the sweet finish brings out the flavor in traditional Mexican dishes.

4.4/5  rDev +68.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm surprised at the number of low ratings for this beer. IMHO, this is probably the best beer of any large scale brewery. Certainly the best of the Mexican beers, which are generally underrated as a whole (though I don't care for Corona; nor do the Mexicans). I spend about half my time in Mexico, so I will assert that I've thoroughly researched the latter opinion. :-) Good all around beer; excellent price/perforance value.

4.23/5  rDev +62.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I think Tecate gets a bit of a bad rap by many American beer tasters who have recently discovered dark beers. I weighTecate against some of the best lagers and pilsners around the world, and Tecate is among the very best. It has a nice look with a wonderful mild flavor with a touch of sweetness.

Goes down with the sounds of Brazilian jazz artist Airto Moreira and Flora Purim.

4.2/5  rDev +60.9%

Gotta love tecate logo!

A - Pale yellow color

S - Stock beer, no off smells, surprisingly.

T - Smooth, mild hop bitterness, nice hop aftertaste.

M - Full, carbonated.

D - these go down real nice when cold, perfect pairing with wings and pizza!

Overall for the price, which is really cheap, this is one of the best mexican beers I've had, next to Negro Modello, just a cheap, straight forward beer. Highly recommended!

4.08/5  rDev +56.3%

"In a town called El Paso, I fell in love with a Mexican girl."

That delectable cover of Marty Robbins' classic was playing by the Grateful Dead on my friend's stereo the first time I drank this delicious light lager back in the blisteringly hot summer of 2002 and as much as I love that song, if I had to choose between one or the other I would choose Tecate beer.

I tried to not rate this beer on appearance because I drink it straight out of the can with a lime wedge shoved straight down in it, but BA is making me give it an appearance score so I just gave it a 5. Although when I play that foul, foul game known as beer pong, a Tecate beer looks like a pretty little lady down at the bottom of my solo cup.

The smell is usually reminiscent of a fart a little bit. That may just be because the beer is skunked though I don't know.

For me the taste is the perfect little Mexican vacation from the world of big stouts and IPAs. It is crisp, light, and slightly bitter.n Don't listen to the haters--enjoy with a lime!

The mouthfeel is thin and just what I need on a hot summer day. Or miserable winter day. Or just whenever I'm craving a Tecate.

4.05/5  rDev +55.2%

¿Que onda güey?

Tecate, my favorite Mexican beer. Don't buy it in a bottle. Don't pour it. Drink it from a can.

If you want to know about the flavor and the color and the head, read the other reviews.

If you want a good beer with tacos, look no further. Tecate is made for easy drinking; to cool off that burn from the jalepeños. Drink it cold and drink it fast.

4.05/5  rDev +55.2%

Old picture you have. BUt anyway, a lot of people say it is nasty, but once again, the more close you are from the brewery the better it taste. In this case, t is brewed in Tecate Baja California, and for a sunny day, it worths. A little bitter the back taste for a lager, but tastes good after all, in some presentations.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am no connoisseur but I really like this beer. I like a thicker mouth feel and this seems to be just right. I also don't like very bitter beer and this has only a hint of bitterness, enough to let me know it is beer but that's just about it. I find a depth to the flavor I don't know how to describe Carbonation is on the light side and I would have liked a little more. Like others mentioned, head is light, but that does not matter when you like to drink out of the bottle.

Tecate brewed by Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V with an ABV of 4.50% This brew pours out a nice amber color with a thick, white head. Tecate is a filtered brew; you can see right though it. This brew looks an American style lager. I'm not saying that is bad thing. This brew smells like corn, grains and malts. There is also a hit of hops in the smell of this brew. Nothing bad, but not good. I would say the smell is decent to this brew. The taste to this brew is real nice. It goes nice and smooth. Tecate reminds minds me of an American style light lager. There is nothing overpowering about this brew, Tecate has a real nice balance to it. Tacate goes down nice and smooth. Mouthfeel is nice,clean, smooth and refreshing. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. This brew was better than what I was expecting. Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. did a real nice job with this brew. I will buy this brew again.

This is a stereotypical American-style lager, of which I'm partial, with a thick, white head, and a very clear, golden color. Carbonation is high. The aroma had a slightly off grain smell that I was unable to place. But, as I drank it it was not as prominent in the glass. The taste is okay, with a decent barley-grain-hop balance. Mouth-feel is light and watery and it finishes crisp and refreshing. Certainly, this is an ordinary type beer, but I'd say it's as good as other run-of-the-mill lagers. I think you should try it. I drank this sample poured from a 24 oz. can.

Had a couple of these ice-cold, and I do mean ice-cold, out of the cooler after a recent backpacking trip, and they were delicious. I am admittedly biased towards refreshing beers over heavier beers, though, and love me some cervezas Mexicanas as well, perhaps because I am a Southern California guy. At any rate, this is a nice beer for many occasions: the ballpark, after a hike, or to wash down a meal. Disfrutalo!

I first noticed Tecate in the movie Hellboy 2, of all places. Out of curiosity, I picked some up and tried it. Fairly tasty, but I thought it'd be stronger.

Well, like everyone else says, there really isn't much to this stuff. However, unlike everyone else, I really like this stuff. It's not super expensive, it's Mexican, and it's NOT Corona. It's the perfect cheap Mexi-brew. I order this every time my wife and I go out to a Mexican restaurant and really compliments the food well. It looks and smells just about like every other beer of this style, and can be enjoied with or without the lime. I always crush the hell outta the lime and then just toss the whole thing in. I think it adds something but that's just me. There is also quite a bit of a corn taste/smell, and a very, very faint sweet tone on the finish.
In the way of Mexi-brews, I am a staunch fan of Modelo Especial, too, but there is a HUGE difference between Modelo from the bottle and Modelo from the can, in that Modelo from the can tastes like the can. In Tecate, however, it really doesn't matter, which is why, I suppose, I always get one served to me in the can when I order it out. Cans cost less, and the folks eatin' and drinkin there will never know the difference.
Anyhow, everyone who gave this stuff a sorry rating, I suppose this was just not for them because personally, I drink a ton of this stuff by itself and with Spanish food and I think it's great.

3.9/5  rDev +49.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Really light hop bitterness. Bread and malts are present. Straw color appearance. Regular lager style. Better than Modelo and Corona. Its up there with Bohemia and Carta Blanca. Really good. Cheers!

3.88/5  rDev +48.7%

Reviewed to style, not personal preference!!

Average medium yellow color, but what puts it at good is that there is so much carbonation that it keeps a small but decent head after twenty minutes in the glass and even leaves some lacing.

I'm going to assume there are some adjunct here, but it smells like 2-row base malt more than anything, whereas most in this style smell like sweet corn or just...sweet. Slightly skunked, but I'm guessing this would be a 4 out of a can.

Again, it's very light, but it tastes more like barley than most all in this category. I'm really wondering if they use far less adjuncts than most, or none at all?

It's a good beer for the style, in all honesty. Certainly not my favorite style, but within it I would pick this one over most others. A great Lawnmower beer for BA's, as it actually tastes and smells like barley. I'll probably pick it up again if I need a light beer in a can for the beach or whatever.

3.88/5  rDev +48.7%

Appearance - Pours the typical yellow color but with a swirl I get a small creamy head and the appearance of liquid that is thicker than water, which makes this above average for the style listed.

Smell - Sweet malt and a slightly fruity aroma. Maybe a little corn.

Taste - Well rounded and crisp with a sweet malty flavors.

Mouthfeel - Feels like real beer! Definately not watery it has the feel of any respectable all malt lager.

Overall this is a very drinkable lager with a light but well balanced flavor. Easy to drink and a step above other American style lagers for sure, I would pick this abover most others of the style.

I give this beer a good rating because it is well above average as an American Style lager. If others give this a below average rating, I wonder what would make a beer in this style a perfect 5.0?

3.87/5  rDev +48.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass

A - Golden straw color. Big foamy head doesn't last long, but does leave some lacing.

S- grains and a touch of hops.

T - light breadiness and a pinch of hops. Light & refreshing. The hops give a dry spin. Love it.

F - Light and some dryness.

O - Very refreshing and sessionable lager. Cheers!

3.85/5  rDev +47.5%

This is my at home beer, living in southern california it gets pretty hot here, this is great for that.

I grew up in europe(almost 30 years) and was very much used to all the fine pilsners over there.

Coming to the US, I started the regular budweiser coors etc

This is a much better brew. Just a great every day beer.

Drink it in a can(not bottle), if you like put a lime in it and enjoy.

It goes down smooth and no hangovers.

Give it a try on a warm day.

3.83/5  rDev +46.7%

Pours a pale yellow color with a one-finger head and ample carbonation into my glass.

Aroma is sweet and full of malt in the nose. Seems like a typical example of the style, which can be a good or bad thing.

Taste is smooth and grainy with only a hint of sweet malt. Inoffensive and seemingly easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is smooth and easy. No inoffensive flavors to be found.

Not a bad beer. Simple and quite drinkable for the style. It's certainly one of the nicer adjunct lagers I've had.

3.82/5  rDev +46.4%

I like this one. Got kind of hooked on it when I lived in El Paso for nearly 5 years. Throw a lime in it and it tastes even better. Very moderately priced as well, I thought this was a good beer at the price point.

Tecate from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.