Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Tecate | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

TecateTecate
2.53/5
Poor
TecateTecate

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
cuamoc.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by stirgy on 05-20-2001

2.8

Ratings: 2,055 |  Reviews: 584

3.5/5  rDev +38.3%

1.26/5  rDev -50.2%

Pale yellow color with a two finger head with low retention. Light unpleasant corn aroma, and booze with metalic notes.
Likewise, sweet corn taste, lots of cardboard and butter. Dry aftertaste.
Light body with low carbonation.
Below average adjunct lager, sweeter, more use of corn, high on off-flavors and less crispy given lack of hops and low carbonation. Stay away, hard to get worse.

2.07/5  rDev -18.2%

12 oz can at fridge temp poured into a pint glass.

Clear straw yellow color, actually holds a decent thin layer of white head with some decent lacing.

Sweet corny grains, almost skunky? Sour?

Creamy Corny grain, hose water, hint of mineral water.

Slightly prickly high carbonation, watery thin mouthfeel.

I just had 3 Mexican adjunct lagers and they all tasted almost exactly alike, only saddle differences. These were even worse than the American versions. I would definatly avoid both at all costs! Don't waste your money even if you are in Mexico.

2.05/5  rDev -19%

Poured from a 12oz can into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow/gold with barely a finger's worth of head and almost no lacing at all.

Smell: Hardly any smell at all. Very light whiff of corn and somewhat sour grain.

Taste: First impression was like I was drinking club soda. The aftertaste is what reminded me that I was drinking beer. Again, corn, malt, and that's really it.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery, below average amount of carbonation.

Overall: It's a cheap way to get drunk with a group of friends or wash down some barbeque or party food. Not something I'd drink if I'm trying to savor the beer.

3.5/5  rDev +38.3%

3.49/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I wasn't expecting much from this beer, but boy, was I surprised at how much I liked it.

At first, pouring it out of the bottle is none too impressive. It has an adverse yellow look although it does create a fluffy white head with some lacing down the pint glass. The smell also we your average hoppy scent. Now for the interesting part - for pouring such a head the beer had very little carbonation feel in the mouth. It also had very little after taste, where I expected quite a bit. Speaking of taste. I enjoyed it immensely. Plenty of barley, a nice mix of malt (which these Mex beers specialize at, it seems to me), and just an overall taste that left me wanting for more.

2.25/5  rDev -11.1%

2.91/5  rDev +15%

Appearance: A pale gold body that boasts some lacing as a finger of head sticks around well enough.

Smell: There is a grainy smell to it that is for sure, and a touch a sandy hops. Warming didn't help it's case either way.

Taste: It's a pretty generic lager to be honest, as subdued malt gives way to a stronger straw and surprisingly unsweet corn, which is rounded off by sandy tasting hops.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation isn't pulling it's weight here, as the beer tastes a bit too watery for my liking. The sandy taste also accentuated itself more and more as the beer went on to my dismay.

Drinkability: Well, I will say this, if it was sweltering outside, I'd grab this stuff fairly quickly. It's incredibly light, and while I wouldn't say it's the easiest drinker, it certainly has more character then other adjuncts.

Final Thoughts: It might not be a fair comparison but this stuff to me is Corona done right. Make no mistake, an award winning beer it is not, and I'm honestly a bit perplexed at how they managed to give the hops that sandy accent, but all in all you could do worse.

1.77/5  rDev -30%

I've never had Tecate, so here's my first thoughts from a 24 oz can.

A- Poured into a glass mug. A little darker yellow than most BMC beers. Good amount of head but then fizzles away quickly to a ring around the glass.

S- A sharp corny/hop smell. Sour.

T- Grassy, crispy hops. Some corn comes through. Metal taste. Slight malt at the end. Bitter, not much sweetness in this beer. Reminds me of Miller High Life.

M- Semi-light. Slick on the tongue. It leaves a slippery feeling in the mouth. Lots of carbonation.

Drinkability is so-so. Seems like a chore to drink at times.

O- Overall, it's a below average beer. The smell and taste gave me a headache, not sure why. Other people might like it better.

3.25/5  rDev +28.5%

2.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Tecate from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 2.53 out of 5 with 2,055 ratings