Foster's Lager | Foster's Group Limited

Added by kbub6f on 07-10-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,127 |  Reviews: 672
3.8/5  rDev +49.6%

Pretty good brew i think. havent had a lot of this but what i have had was good. Pretty deep taste, not gormet, but not bud light. smells ans looks normal, goes down pretty nice and does not leave a bad aftertaste.maybe somethign good does come from australia, i would try another of their beers, way before i would pick up a french beer.

1.68/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Served in a plastic cup at "Top of the Park" in Ann Arbor. It looked pretty good, if a bit yellowish. Decent head. Lacing. It went downhill from there.

Slight smell of grain wasn't very appealing.

Taste started out grainy but turned a bit chemical and lasted for hours. I've tasted worse beers but not by much.

Light and bubbly but strangly dry feel.

I finished it but I wouldn't have another.

Last time at "Top of the Park", I had a Linny's Red. I should have stuck with that.

2.46/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Had this at happy hour down at Applebee's. I have fond memories of getting smashed drinking "oil cans" of Foster's in college, so I figured why not?

Decent presentation on the restaurant's part. Large pilsner glass that was unfortuantely pulled out of a freezer before the pour so I let it warm a bit before sampling.

The beer is your basic straw-gold, under a frothy white head that hangs out more than most pilsners. Heavy carbonation throughout.

Aromas of corn, rice, and a smattering of hops, little else.

Taste has more character than a Budweiser, but just barely. Thin mouthfeel, but drinkable, especially on a hot day when there's nothing else lying about but domestic macrobrews. but there's little to distinguish it from US macros.

1.79/5  rDev -29.5%

When I was a kid I had a beer can collection and the Foster's 'oil can' was one of my favorites. I've never had the beer though and I'm interested to see what the stuff tastes like. An Australian beer was pretty cool (at least I thought so) in those days, but I see that Foster's is now brewed in Canada, as is Sapporo. Is nothing sacred?

Perfectly clear bright amber with a dirty white, medium-sized head. The cap is a little more substantial than expected. It's actually firm, stays humped in the middle as it falls and leaves a fair amount of lace. Will wonders ever cease? Standard macro lager nose with a pungeant, skunky smell that is way below average while stopping short of offensive.

The flavor has little to recommend it. Foster's Lager is worse than the vast majority of lagers I've had recently and I've had some pretty bad beer. It isn't horrible at first, but once the beer leaves my mouth, a foul, sour, chemical flavor starts to seep across my taste buds, causing me to wince. Only Bud Light has had that effect on me of late. Thin, watery body.

Sorry to say, this is a drain pour. The label on the back of the bottle says that Foster's Lager is 'the definitive Australian beer'. I've had very few beers from the land down under, but that has to be the biggest load of bollocks that I've heard in a very long time.

2.46/5  rDev -3.1%

Foster's is an Austrialian company, but the label on the beer I had tonight said mine was brewed in Canada. I guess eventually its cheaper to buy a plant in north america than ship accross the planet.

Appearance- Standard pale golden lager color. Fairly large and fluffy head.

Smell- The beer smelled alright at first, but after I started drinking I noticed some moderate skunky smell.

Taste- Fairly watery, but drinkable. Comparable to many American macros.

Drinkability- I could drink these on a hot summer afternoon or at a party, but they aren't something I'd buy again for personal consumption.

I guess Foster's is Austrialian for "mediocre". I didn't like this brew much and would probably rather save the money and buy a similair tasting American macro for less.

2.18/5  rDev -14.2%

well yesterday was the big memorial day bbq. after a few hours, my personal stash was depleted and since im never one to turn down a free beer, i hit up the fosters. this stuff is your basic golden yellow, leaning a little more towards golden than yellow. big super foamy white head. smells like a cheap lager, some grain. tatse? hella corn, esp. if it warms a bit. cooked corn, veggies, very light hop bite. eh. pretty crisp in the mouth, served ice cold, it was refreshing. its not a good beer, but its a beer. and i like beer.

2.68/5  rDev +5.5%

From the oil can pours a light golden clear liquid with a white foamy, almost fluffy head. This was more colorful than other pale lagers. The head actually stayed for a little while, but there was no lace on the glass. Smells slightly skunky and metallic, but there could be trace amounts of hops here. Taste is very sweet and grainy at first, followed by a subtly amount of hops. Thin, but true to style and highly carbonated. Overall, there are worse beers than this. It was sort of refreshing. I wouldn't buy this from a store, but that is all that is available, I would probably choke one down again.

3.2/5  rDev +26%

A fine white collar on a pale golden color. The smell is very sweet, with lots of citrus, and maybe even some ginger. The taste is malty and round, very citric and sweet. The thin hoppiness is a bit skunky. Not a complex beer, but a drinkable one. A truly average beer.

2.73/5  rDev +7.5%

12 oz bottle, no freshness dating.
Pours clear and light, gassy/cabadgy nose. watery, no body, typical macro lager, no malt, no hops, tasts like alot of corn. Lawn mower beer from Down under, nothing more, nothing less. skip this stuff if you can. A shameful waste of good water.

2.06/5  rDev -18.9%

Served cold, in a pilsner glass, from a cold bottle: mid-sized, rocky head tops a golden, clear liquid. Moderate carbonation. Aroma is a mix of corn, sulfur, faint hops, with a bit of malt underneath. The foretaste is sweeter than an everyday macro, but nothing to get excited about. Very little malt character in the mid-taste. Finish is an underdone, crisp bitterness. The bottles I had may have been a little lightstruck. This beer offers nothing extraordinary. It was an utter disappointment.

I had free drink coupons on Southwest, so what the heck...

Poured into my plastic cup with minmal head that doesn't cover the beer's surface. Yellow. Clear. Big bubbles. Zero aroma. Taste is all obscured by the freezing serving temperature and the intense carbonation. Barely a hint of grain. Thin. Gaseous. I guess you could say this is balanced, if you're balancing zero hop presence with zero malt.

2.45/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours with a medium yellow hue, fairly good carbonation levels, thin airy head which has a fair bit of lacing on the glass

Smell is pretty much standard lager, although quite hoppy and sweet also

Taste is dry, little bit of corn coming through, too damn cold to taste

Pretty crap

No offence to the BA's in Australia, but this better not be the best beer you guys have. If so, I really feel bad for you.
It pours from the oil can a light transparent yellow with absolutly no head. The aroma, well, didn't exist. It was completly scent free. The taste was very watered down. There was a strong sweetness to it, but not any sign of hops to balance it out at all. I feel like I wasted my time on this.

3.51/5  rDev +38.2%

I had this beer on tap at, where else? An Australian-themed steakhouse. I haven’t had this beer in a long while and I always remember enjoying it. This was served in a nearly frosted mug, and was very cold. Light yellow color and fizzy with a small fizzy head. No real aroma to speak of since the temperature was holding it back, and there’s the fact that the pungent smell from a cheeseburger at the table next to me is wafting right into my face. I did pick up a hint of slightly metallic grains. The taste is pleasantly sweet and slightly malty. Sweet tang with some fruitiness. Crisp finish and overall surprisingly smooth. An enjoyable lager that complimented my steak nicely. I always dismiss this beer for something else, but it seems to be one I routinely enjoy.

1.72/5  rDev -32.3%

Classic oil can, that is attractive in its own unique way. "Australian for Beer", as their many tv ads proclaim, the can says this was brewed in Toronto. Pours into a pint glass a pale yellow color, with a slight, chilled haze. A large, rocky, white head is impressive, and leaves glops of foamy lace on the side of the glass.
Aroma is very skunky hops, worse than a Heineken. Some metallic aromas are also present.
Mouthfeel is well carbonated and light bodied. Bitter hop bite on the tongue.
Taste is bitter in a skunky kind of way. Very light bodied, almost watery. No malt taste, possibly some grain presence, but it's bitter and unpleasant. Metallic aftertaste is sickening, and long lasting.
I haven't had a Foster's in years. Tonight's experience ensures that I won't have another one in the next decade. I'm reluctant to trash a beer, but most of this was poured down my sink. Hopefully, a SNPA will clean my palate, and get rid of the aftertaste of this swill.

2.51/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a clear golden brew.

Smell is mostly just grain with a mild amount of malt smell.

Taste is mildly sweet and a bit of grain. There is a little malt and hop present but you have to let it sit on your tongue to bring it out.

Mouthfeel is good.

It is OK drinkable if you are in need and US Macros are the only choice. There are better brews for the price like a Sam Adams.

2.05/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours a light yellow with a short lived white foamy head. You can smell the malts with slight hints of hops and the yeast is very funky smelling in this beer. The taste is sub-par. Tastes like a to sweet of a malt that doesn't have enough hops to round out the sweetness. Feels light and flat in the mouth and is not a drinkable beer. Go with other lagers.

2.95/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance:
LIght yellow thin head, nothing too special.

Smell:
Wheaty smell with typical macro beer scent.

Taste:
Taste is better than a Bud or Miller. Has a wheaty bite to it which i enjoy... but the flavor is simple and shallow.

Mouthfeel:
A bit too thin and watery on the tounge with some harsh carbonation.

Drinkability:
Easy to drink, not a great a beer but an ok brew to drink when the bar only offers macro beers.

2.46/5  rDev -3.1%

It pours a lightish gold, crisp and clear, with a fluffy white head that expands and retains well. There is spotty, light lacing.

There's a thin aroma of mild malt, along with a yeasty sourness. There is a very definite adjunct character in the air.

A thin wash of malt comes at first sip, followed by an almost vegetal sweetness. A fleeting glimpse of corn quickly gives way to a dull, lingering dryness. There's not much of a ballance, because there's not much TO balance.

It's very light bodied with very little mouth presence besides carbonation. Most noteable is a lingering dry bitterness on the tongue at the finish.

Ay, mate, it is drinkable, but then, so is water. And I don't want water when I want beer. Look, it's not truly vile, but it's so unsubstantial that everything about it just seems to fall short. And it's the lack of any real gravity that makes it drinkable. But just because I can drink more than one doesn't mean I will. If I ever make it Down Under it won't be in pursuit of beer, but I do hope there's better than this waiting for me if I want one.

3.59/5  rDev +41.3%

Drank the big can.Really liked it.Its a beer when your really thirsty.I thought it was a little bit heavier than a light beer, and at the end when you swaloe it taste like a dark beer for a second.Way better then mgd Coors light.More flavor.But you must drink this beer ice cold. Keep the can.As soon as this beer gets hotter, it is awfl to drink.

2.8/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Background: Snowed in on Monday with my 22 month old daughter. She's watchin' the Wiggles on Disney (why she loves those dorks I'll never know), and they keep talking about Australia Day. Crikkee! I'll have to go walkabout when it thaws and get me some Aussie beer, mate! This is one of the two I found. Foster's Australian for Bee-ah (made in Canada).

Appearance: Golden, typical macro lager head.
Smell: Slightly grainy, a little malty, no noticeable hop character.
Taste: Just slight on many things, nothing overpowers (typical of a macro lager). Slightly malty, slight hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Light bodied and fully carbonated, plenty of bubbles. Drinkability: Easy to drink a six.

Like a typical American macro, I probably could not tell it apart in a blind taste test, and I had to pay more for this? I used to like this, and probably will still buy a big oil can now and then (for the coolness factor, impresses people at BBQ's). At least the store didn't have light.

2.47/5  rDev -2.8%

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a thick frothy white head. The aroma is average or slightly less than. It is of pale malts and lager yeast. It is dry and musty. It must have something to do with the can from which it came. The taste is weak and bitter. The musty flavor is bold. It is a bit grainy and simplistic. I sense the presence of brewing adjuncts. The mouthfeel is decent. Like most commercial lagers the body is low and the carbonation is high. It drinks awful. I must admit this one was had only for the beer karma.

2.06/5  rDev -18.9%

This beer comes a no supprise but I was still hoping for better. It poured a pale straw color with a small head that faded very quickly into a thin layer of foam. The smell was grain all the way with not much else detectable. The taste was not quite as sweet as a Coors or a Miller but was still overly sweet with just a slight hint of bite at the end. I have not had this beer in quite a while untill tonight and I think I can go the rest of my life without having another one. Thumbs down.

2.35/5  rDev -7.5%

Canadian for beer... Pale straw colored, white lacing. Subtle carbonation. Malt, rice and hops noticable. An off metallic twang to it. Pretty lackluster. But I've put my lips up to worse. It's mostly sweet and finishes with crisp with evidence that the brewers use less than quality hops (kind of musty, not so fresh).

2.21/5  rDev -13%

Well not much to this one, but it doesn't disappoint--meaning that for a macrobrew you could do A LOT worse.

Medium golden color, decent head and a keggy kind of smell.

Regular hoppy taste, with a little bit of a keggy taste too. Nothing spectacular, but if I went to a barbecue I'd much like seeing this beer in the cooler than Coar's Light!

Foster's Lager from Foster's Group Limited