Foster's Lager | Foster's Group Limited

Added by kbub6f on 07-10-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,113 |  Reviews: 669
1.72/5  rDev -32.3%

Classic oil can, that is attractive in its own unique way. "Australian for Beer", as their many tv ads proclaim, the can says this was brewed in Toronto. Pours into a pint glass a pale yellow color, with a slight, chilled haze. A large, rocky, white head is impressive, and leaves glops of foamy lace on the side of the glass.
Aroma is very skunky hops, worse than a Heineken. Some metallic aromas are also present.
Mouthfeel is well carbonated and light bodied. Bitter hop bite on the tongue.
Taste is bitter in a skunky kind of way. Very light bodied, almost watery. No malt taste, possibly some grain presence, but it's bitter and unpleasant. Metallic aftertaste is sickening, and long lasting.
I haven't had a Foster's in years. Tonight's experience ensures that I won't have another one in the next decade. I'm reluctant to trash a beer, but most of this was poured down my sink. Hopefully, a SNPA will clean my palate, and get rid of the aftertaste of this swill.

2.51/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a clear golden brew.

Smell is mostly just grain with a mild amount of malt smell.

Taste is mildly sweet and a bit of grain. There is a little malt and hop present but you have to let it sit on your tongue to bring it out.

Mouthfeel is good.

It is OK drinkable if you are in need and US Macros are the only choice. There are better brews for the price like a Sam Adams.

2.05/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours a light yellow with a short lived white foamy head. You can smell the malts with slight hints of hops and the yeast is very funky smelling in this beer. The taste is sub-par. Tastes like a to sweet of a malt that doesn't have enough hops to round out the sweetness. Feels light and flat in the mouth and is not a drinkable beer. Go with other lagers.

2.95/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance:
LIght yellow thin head, nothing too special.

Smell:
Wheaty smell with typical macro beer scent.

Taste:
Taste is better than a Bud or Miller. Has a wheaty bite to it which i enjoy... but the flavor is simple and shallow.

Mouthfeel:
A bit too thin and watery on the tounge with some harsh carbonation.

Drinkability:
Easy to drink, not a great a beer but an ok brew to drink when the bar only offers macro beers.

2.46/5  rDev -3.1%

It pours a lightish gold, crisp and clear, with a fluffy white head that expands and retains well. There is spotty, light lacing.

There's a thin aroma of mild malt, along with a yeasty sourness. There is a very definite adjunct character in the air.

A thin wash of malt comes at first sip, followed by an almost vegetal sweetness. A fleeting glimpse of corn quickly gives way to a dull, lingering dryness. There's not much of a ballance, because there's not much TO balance.

It's very light bodied with very little mouth presence besides carbonation. Most noteable is a lingering dry bitterness on the tongue at the finish.

Ay, mate, it is drinkable, but then, so is water. And I don't want water when I want beer. Look, it's not truly vile, but it's so unsubstantial that everything about it just seems to fall short. And it's the lack of any real gravity that makes it drinkable. But just because I can drink more than one doesn't mean I will. If I ever make it Down Under it won't be in pursuit of beer, but I do hope there's better than this waiting for me if I want one.

3.59/5  rDev +41.3%

Drank the big can.Really liked it.Its a beer when your really thirsty.I thought it was a little bit heavier than a light beer, and at the end when you swaloe it taste like a dark beer for a second.Way better then mgd Coors light.More flavor.But you must drink this beer ice cold. Keep the can.As soon as this beer gets hotter, it is awfl to drink.

2.8/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Background: Snowed in on Monday with my 22 month old daughter. She's watchin' the Wiggles on Disney (why she loves those dorks I'll never know), and they keep talking about Australia Day. Crikkee! I'll have to go walkabout when it thaws and get me some Aussie beer, mate! This is one of the two I found. Foster's Australian for Bee-ah (made in Canada).

Appearance: Golden, typical macro lager head.
Smell: Slightly grainy, a little malty, no noticeable hop character.
Taste: Just slight on many things, nothing overpowers (typical of a macro lager). Slightly malty, slight hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Light bodied and fully carbonated, plenty of bubbles. Drinkability: Easy to drink a six.

Like a typical American macro, I probably could not tell it apart in a blind taste test, and I had to pay more for this? I used to like this, and probably will still buy a big oil can now and then (for the coolness factor, impresses people at BBQ's). At least the store didn't have light.

2.47/5  rDev -2.8%

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a thick frothy white head. The aroma is average or slightly less than. It is of pale malts and lager yeast. It is dry and musty. It must have something to do with the can from which it came. The taste is weak and bitter. The musty flavor is bold. It is a bit grainy and simplistic. I sense the presence of brewing adjuncts. The mouthfeel is decent. Like most commercial lagers the body is low and the carbonation is high. It drinks awful. I must admit this one was had only for the beer karma.

2.06/5  rDev -18.9%

This beer comes a no supprise but I was still hoping for better. It poured a pale straw color with a small head that faded very quickly into a thin layer of foam. The smell was grain all the way with not much else detectable. The taste was not quite as sweet as a Coors or a Miller but was still overly sweet with just a slight hint of bite at the end. I have not had this beer in quite a while untill tonight and I think I can go the rest of my life without having another one. Thumbs down.

2.35/5  rDev -7.5%

Canadian for beer... Pale straw colored, white lacing. Subtle carbonation. Malt, rice and hops noticable. An off metallic twang to it. Pretty lackluster. But I've put my lips up to worse. It's mostly sweet and finishes with crisp with evidence that the brewers use less than quality hops (kind of musty, not so fresh).

2.21/5  rDev -13%

Well not much to this one, but it doesn't disappoint--meaning that for a macrobrew you could do A LOT worse.

Medium golden color, decent head and a keggy kind of smell.

Regular hoppy taste, with a little bit of a keggy taste too. Nothing spectacular, but if I went to a barbecue I'd much like seeing this beer in the cooler than Coar's Light!

2.13/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a bottle. Light yellow in color with a small head that doesn't last at all. There isn't much of a smell at all. Maybe some corn with a hint of malt. The taste is equally as disappointing. Seems to be very sweet all the way through. Creamy, but not in a good way.I can't pick up any hops what so ever. I can think of many other pale lagers that I would prefer. This beer reminds me a lot of PBR on tap. I wouldn't refuse it on a hot summers day but that is about it.

This brew pours a light golden colour with a small white head of foam. The aromas are all light zesty hops, and slight bready malts. The taste is very uncomplex, yet thirst quenching at the same time. The mouthfeel is light in the mouth, and the same as the canned version of this brew. However, For some reason I find the drinkability to be less from the bottled version. Go figure!?

2.68/5  rDev +5.5%

12 oz brown longneck. One of five mediocre beers served at my company’s annual Christmas Party.

Beer was the standard macro lager color (faded yellow), not a lot of head or lacing.

Beer had a grain aroma. If you strained you could get a bit of hops and some malt, or was that my imagination?

Taste was more on the sweet side as the hops seemed to take most of the night off. No real bad tasting stuff, but no real good taste either. Serviceable enough in a pinch I guess.

Really well carbonated as I’m guessing they want the bubbles to take your mind off the missing flavr.

At one time this was my wife’s favorite brew. I’m glad to say that she now likes IPAs, Hefes, etc. So at least it didn’t turn her off beer for good!

2.25/5  rDev -11.4%

I usually like just about any kind of beer out there. But this beer actually proves that the only good alleged thing to come out of Australia really does suck. Even a guy like Dan Grimaldi would not drink crap like this, and he is the kind of guy who would lick beer off of a floor. Very little head, mouthfeel is not so desirable, it kinda pissed me off that I even bought it.

2.2/5  rDev -13.4%

Brewed in Canada. I remember this as a beer that gave me a nasty headache the next morning. Not any more. An at least unoffensive odor. Taste is just a bit more malty than in a normal American beer. And I catch a bit of hop in the aftertaste. Had I not found much more interesting brewpub lagers, I might have rated this higher, but now I know better: there's so much more out there, and this is so much less.

2.66/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

25.4 oz. oilcan poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Crystal clear straw color with a healthy and frothy white head. A good layer of foam is left as the glass is emptied and a goodly amount of lacing is left on the glass.

Smell: Grassy and metallic aromas. Mildly hoppy, but just barely.

Taste: Grainy and grassy with a touch of malty sweetness. Some sort of corn aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Oh so light, oh so crisp, oh so ephemeral. Oh so blase.

Drinkability: I was fully expecting to slam this by saying the only really good thing about this is the manly sized container, but it's not all that bad. Does what a lager ought to do, hit's the right notes and all that rot. Too bad the notes make for Britney Spears when I'm looking for Velvet Underground.

why am i bothering to review the worst beer in this country next to carlton cold and hahn ice? because for the first time in over 10 years i saw aussies drinking this, at a restaurant i was at last night.

ive always found it amusing that 'foriegners' especially americans, think this is our signature beer considering we rarely drink fosters here. like all other beers carlton are involved with, its no different to anything else they brew, if you can call it brewing. im not even going to describe its qualities, because its just like VB, only worse. i dont know if the breweries that brew it under license internationally do a better job, but here its the epitome of swill. if aussie drinkers wont have it, whats that telling you?

im ashamed that we get lumped with this beer. alas, its deserved on some levels. if aussies in general knew anything about beer we wouldnt allow it. dammit that this is not the case.

2.53/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap Canadian version - Clear yellow brew with a nice head. usual macro brewery taste of malt/sugar/water. Maybe a tad too much water. This is drinkable but overall a middle of the road lager for hot summer days. I get the feeling this might not even be imported ber bu brewed under license in Canada.

OK, I know, don’t believe the hype, “Foster’s Australian For Beer”!

The beer pours the archetypal lager golden yellow, the head impressive in size, frothy in texture and a bright white color; the lace forms a nice sealing sheet upon the glass. Nose is prototypical lager crisp, fresh and clean, start is malt laden and somewhat sweet, top is middling in feel. Finish is briskly carbonated, hops apropos to the style, dry aftertaste, but it is a beer when the temperature here in Phoenix hits 110 degrees Fahrenheit or higher taste pretty good, yes better than the “Unnamed Big Three”!

2.46/5  rDev -3.1%

My first review!

Appearance: An average-sized head that dissipated within a few minutes; lacing is average. Not having a colour spectrum for the measurement of beer, I have used a Single Malt Scotch spectrum and would place Foster's hue somewhere between Chardonnay and Sunlight, which is, I would think, quite normal for a pale lager.

Smell: Not much. I wish I could say more.

Taste: Very weak; relatively dry and bitter but not totally devoid of flavour.

Mouthtaste: There really isn't any of which to speak. Carbonated water, mostly but not particularly unpleasant.

Drinkability: It is obvious why most people would like this watery concoction - it has a lot in common with its macrobrewery cousins from North America and might be enjoyable enough with a barbecued hamburger or hot dog. On its own, it offers very little satisfaction, except, perhaps, as a thirst quencher on a sultry summer's day.

2.33/5  rDev -8.3%

So I’m on the plane flying to Indianapolis, my son has finally settled down, and my wife asks if I’d like a beer. Sure, I said, what’s available? 1) Miller Lite, 2) Amstel Lite, 3) Heineken, and 4) Fosters. Guess I’ll go with door #4.
Fosters arrived in a 12oz can and poured a clear golden color with a thin fizzy white head that quickly vanished despite the large volume of large bubbles seen racing to the surface. The smell was faintly of grainy malts and some corn. No other aromas could be lured out. The taste was a rather bland blend of grainy malts and grasses with corn. Kinda like a bowl of corn flakes. The feel was light, dry, and seriously carbonated.
Well, meet Australia’s answer to America’s unholy macro trinity. Foster’s is a lifeless brew drank by the exceedingly desperate (me, in this case) or those who think drinking an Aussie macro makes them cool. If Fosters is Australian for beer (as the advert goes), then there are some serious problems in the land Down Under.

3.42/5  rDev +34.6%

Pour this one straight in, and you'll get a crystal clear, pale yellow nectar.

This may be "Australian piss", but for a light lager, it's better than most others. This is Australian for "I'm thirsty, darnit!"

Poured directly into the center of my glass (no side action here) it forms a nice, tight, white head that dissipates in 30 seconds. This beer is an excellent "ice cold, lawnmower" beer. If served under 40F and drunk relatively quickly it is a great thirst-quencher. It has a nice wheat/rice character that is best experienced quickly. This is a dead-of-summer must-have.

Not for snobs, but excellent for what it is, this beer tops its category (light lager).

1.98/5  rDev -22%

Appearance – Thin yellow body with a cheap head that went down quickly.

Smell – The grainy skunk came out in force here.

Taste – The creamy nature of this beer can’t hide the Gummi-Bear sugars and hallow flavors.

Mouthfeel – Flat, watery, and unsubstantial.

Drinkability – The kangaroos are probably spitting this one out. Fosters adds a smooth style to the standard piss formula, but this ale has little else to offer.

2.35/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: Fizzy golden with a nice sized frothy white head with decent scattered patches of lacing. Aroma: Grassy hop character with a mild sweet tone, not bad just clean and decently hopped for most lagers. Taste: A trickle of bitter sweetness here some corn and rice is probably present doesn't seem all grain not a bad hop profile decently bitter for a lager, too bad this is the biggest knockoff of an Australian beer considering it's brewed in Canada. Other than that it finishes clean and unoffensively, take it for what it is a mass produced lager. Mouthfeel: Is thin and artificially carbonated not cloying pretty smooth just uninteresting. Drinkability: As much as you can put down before you can't handle the flavor anymore not filling and doesn't make me yearn for another yet I can't tear it apart.

Foster's Lager from Foster's Group Limited