Wee Beast (Cuillin Beast) | Isle Of Skye Brewery

Wee Beast (Cuillin Beast)Wee Beast (Cuillin Beast)
3.61/5
Wee Beast (Cuillin Beast)Wee Beast (Cuillin Beast)

Isle Of Skye Brewery
Scotland, United Kingdom
skyebrewery.co.uk

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 06-10-2004

3.77/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours amber, small head. Bright.

Aroma of toffee, pear, bit of sweet nail polish remover - not in a bad way - , coins.

Taste is apple, pear, fruityness, light dundee cake, raisins. cinnamon, cloves are there

little bitterness, light body, a bit sweet. mid/low carb. touch of a dry finish.

It's pretty good and I can't think of many other beers that are similar.

3.72/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.11/5  rDev +13.9%

33 cl bottle of Cuillin Beast purchased at the brewery store in Uig.
The clear copper body is topped by a weak, off-white head.
This has an exceptionally nice aroma with traces of vanilla, spices, soft ripe fruits and caramel.
The flavor follows but doesn't have the balance or complexity of the aroma.
Smooth, full body with light carbonation and some alcohol warmth.

3.83/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

$ 5.09/16.9 oz ($ 0.301/oz) from State Line Liquors, Elkton, MD
Undated bottle at 42 degrees into snifter
Aroma of malt, somewhat sour, fades away
Head small (Two cm, aggressive pour), light brown, creamy, rapidly diminishing to three mm ring and partial thin layer
Lacing - none
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor – malty with a hint of smoke, slightly sweet; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.75, Aroma 3.75, Flavor 4.25, Palate 4, Overall 4

3.81/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

2.34/5  rDev -35.2%

Okay, so I don't believe in reviewing an infected beer. However, after reading several other reviews of this beer, and also doing some research on other published opinions, I feel the need to write about my impressions. This beer pours a very clear amber-golden color with a modest white head. Not a bad looking beer, for sure. But, the smell certainly has something off...acetic acid is strong in this one...wild yeast or bacteria have done some serious munching on the sweetness. The company's website describes this beer as 'sweetish', not lambic-like tartness. There is a musty, earthy, moderately fruit-like scent that's not completely bad (in the right context, I kind of like it)...I'm just pretty sure it's not intended. I also believe that most other drinkers are tasting the same thing. The beer is quite dry, with no malt flavor at all. The finish is lingering and vinegary. Moderate mouthfeel, and very mouth-drying. Unfortunately, this experience lead me to be quite skeptical of the beers from this brewery.

2.58/5  rDev -28.5%

500ml into a tulip. Pours a hazy dirty honey. Minimal head receded quickly to none.

Malts and more hops than typical.

Tangy taste, some sour and again more hops than typical. I don't know what to label this brew as it sucks at being a wee heavy. Not that it is necessarily a bad brew but in the context of a wee heavy it fails. I'd say it would fit as a Scottish Wild Ale in which case I would rate it a B+. My rating here on BA is rating to classification.
cheers
jd

3.25/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

No date or lot code on the bottle. Sampled on July 18, 2010. I think I have to preface this by saying this is not a style I tend to drink regularly. The pour was yellow-copper with a haziness that made me think it was unfiltered. There is a puffy white head and pretty good lacing. The main thing I get in the aroma is yeast, yeast and more yeast. It felt like it hadn't fully fermented. There was a distant hoppiness but the yeast was a bit much. The taste really puckered up my lips because it was just so tart and sour although it did tend to remain dry throughout. Sorry, not something I could do again.

3.66/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

As with most Scotch ales, there was very little head on this beer; what was there was a very noisy, bubbly mass that released loads of sweet malt and half a bushel of lemons and a handful of berries. The color was a little lighter than other SAs I've had, with an iced-tea hue that had some attractive edges the color of oak boards. The fruity nose was more than I expected, as was the fruity taste-- it was a bit sour at first from the lemons, but as it warmed up the malt took over until, at halfway through the bottle, the fruit had minimized and the malty tones strode to the front, leading the way to the bottom of the glass. There was still the tang of sour fruit, but it merely assumed its proper place in the drama. The usual peaty flavors were there as well, nicely placed in the background for balance. Minimal carbonation and a smooth, flat body. Overall a good Scotch ale-- not the best I've had, but one to respect.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a nice really hazy amber with a light one finger thick head that lasts for some time, leaving little to no lacing.

I get the same thing in this beers nose that I got in the other beers from this brewery, and it is a fruity fudgeness from the malts, strawberryfudge almost, but this has some other qualities to it than the others, as I get a little hint of white wine, a little almond and a mixed bowl of fresh forest berries.

Taste is along the same lines, with the strawberryfudge up front, but it's backed up by some burnt wood and a bitterness that I cant say coems from the hops, as I can barely detect any at all. Taste carries on with red wine, sweet fresh forest berries (with their inate tartness) and caramellized white sugar.

Mouthfeel is okay, with a soft and almost too humble carbonation, would have liked a little more fizz. Body is medium and filling.

2.67/5  rDev -26%

Pours a mild amber/golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. A bit lighter than I expected but good presentation.

Aroma is full of a gentle hint of peak smokiness and sweet malt with a raisin-like essence. Not bad to start with.

Taste is kind of sour (?) with only a hint of smokiness and sweet malt. Raisin is still here but I can't get over the sourness. I don't think this style is supposed to be anywhere near sour.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering sourness/smokiness and not much else. Again, very disappointing.

I certainly hope this is just a bad bottle but I'm not one to waste beer. It could be many things but this style is most certainly not supposed to be sour.

3.18/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured into a Thistle.

A: Very cloudy red oak with active carbonation. A puffy lemon peel tinged cap has nice retention and leaves good lace.

S: Alcohol really struck me at first; which seemed odd for a beer with this ABV. Letting my nose linger revealed chocolate, smoke and a bit of peat, plus a mild lemon scent. Perhaps even a hint of salt.

T: Different, if nothing else. Quite sweet and tart. Almost sugary out front, with a mild chocolate undertow. A powerful sour lemon tartness comes on quick. Alcohol adds a touch of warmth. A little raw earth is in the background. Finishes extremely dry and tart.

M: The medium body is grainy and has way too much carbonation for my tastes.

D: This was one of the more, if not the most unique takes on this style. The extreme tartness didn't really work for me. Once past the tartness, there is a bit of a toned down single malt theme here that's interesting. But the overall experience wasn't that joyful for me.

Wee Beast (Cuillin Beast) from Isle Of Skye Brewery