Big Wave Golden Ale | Kona Brewing Co.

Big Wave Golden AleBig Wave Golden Ale

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
konabrewingco.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Big Wave is light golden ale with a subtle fruitiness and delicate hop aroma. A smooth, easy drinking refreshing ale. The lightly roasted honey malt contributes to the golden hue of this beer and also gives a slight sweetness that is balanced out by our special blend of hops.

Added by Sixpoint on 03-19-2005

Liked:
3.58/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,901 |  Reviews: 331
4.33/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really, really liked this beer!!

(L) It looks like your typical blonde ale, so no surprise there.

(S) I didn't really notice to much of a smell, which is kind of misleading because what I think it lacks there definitely makes up for the taste.

(T) The taste wasn't overly sweet or hoppy it was really well balanced, but the hints pinapple and mango and honey shine through and personally they are some of my favorites. It still keeps to the true blonde ale taste, so it doesn't taste like you're drinking fruit juice. I've had those and this isn't it!

(F) It's light and refreshing, goes down smooth and easy, perfect for a hot summer day.

(O) I recommend it, excellent beer for any time of year. I like it and would love to see more places get this on tap. Any way you can find it I suggest you try it!

4.32/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 2 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The bottle and label looks plain, but the beer taste delicious. Reminds me of a rebel IPAA.

4.31/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a fluted pilsener glass.

Look: Clear golden body with slowly rising bubbles. Foamy white head that leaves massive sudsy lines of lacing.

Aroma: Spicy hops that bring a woodsy cedar note, with lots of citrus in the way of lime and subtle grapefruit peel.

Taste: A little more subdued than the aroma, but the same bright citrus zest with more of an orange flavor coming through. A softer malt presence brings down the sharpness of the hops as compared to the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Clean, bright, light bodied.

Overall: Quite delicious, very refreshing with loads of citrus zest.

4.3/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77. This is not a bad way to begin the day - with a Blonde!

From the bottle: "Since 1994, Kona Brewing Co. has been committed to making handcrafted ales and lagers of uncompromised quality."; "We invite you to visit our brewery and pubs whenever you visit Hawaii. Mahalo!"; "Fresh, Responsible, Always Aloha"; "Catch a Wave! Year-round, the waves that roll onto Hawaiian beaches are some of the best in the world. Catch the crest of a breaking wave and ride it all the way in. Our sun-drenched Big Wave Golden Ale is a smooth, refreshing brew, inspired by what makes Hawaii great."; "Liquid Aloha".

The Blonde and I were both beginning to sweat in anticipation, or maybe it was just attributable to the heat and humidity, but I was quick with the pour. The pseudo-cascade died down, creating two fingers of rocky, bone-white head that began to fall, leaving nice lacing in its wake. The color was a bright, sunshine-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4), like liquid sunshine in my glass! This would be far more heartening on a dreary winter day, but it was already hot and humid here in my kitchen. Nose was very fruity - peaches, mangoes, papaya, guava, even coconut. Aloha, honey! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was entirely fruity, like Juicyfruit chewing gum or a roll of Tropical Fruit Life Savers. My my. I stand behind all of the fruits that I mentioned on the nose with the exception of coconut. I may have been hallucinating on that one. Finish was semi-sweet, not quite semi-dry, but quite refreshing on this occasion.

4.29/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very easy drinking beer. Very light in the glass, but it didn't get a nice, foamy head. Flavor has a bit of a tang that comes across as grapefruit at first, but as you drink it seems generally tropical. It's not heavy on the smell and the feel is smooth and light in the mouth.

4.29/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.28/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Great drinkin beer!

4.28/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Citrus smell and taste, lighter bodied with a hint of peach, goes down easy. Great beer for a hot summer day. This has become my go to beer of the summer.

4.27/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

One of my favs, easy drinking, good modest taste, good all year round...works for both rookies and inspired craft lovers. Try one, even better on draft in the sun.

4.27/5  rDev +19.3%

A-Pours a beautiful light golden brown, a white head but the retenation isn't great goes away after a few seconds, not much lacing at all

S-Smell of citrus, hops, honey, and I even get little hints of pineapple

T-Roasted grains, hops, honey, it finishes a little bitter than turns sweet

M-Not very carbonated, very smooth but not light thats for sure

D-Very drinkable, This is a beer that I could drink all night long

4.26/5  rDev +19%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

1st beer in Severna Park

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

Big Wave Golden Ale from Kona Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 39% out of 100 with 1,901 ratings