Big Wave Golden Ale | Kona Brewing Co.

Big Wave Golden AleBig Wave Golden Ale
3.58/5
Big Wave Golden AleBig Wave Golden Ale

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
konabrewingco.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Big Wave is light golden ale with a subtle fruitiness and delicate hop aroma. A smooth, easy drinking refreshing ale. The lightly roasted honey malt contributes to the golden hue of this beer and also gives a slight sweetness that is balanced out by our special blend of hops.

Added by Sixpoint on 03-19-2005

Ratings: 1,904 |  Reviews: 331

2.25/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.27/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Beer of the month for cheap at my local bar, tried in a tall Pilsner glass, darker than the longboard, just wasn't crazy about this beer, little bitter and harsh after taste for me.

2.36/5  rDev -34.1%

Pours yellow, large white head. Smell: pure macro lager. Ugh. Taste slight skunk, overly sweet, unpalatable, sickle, and there's little to nothing "blond" about it.

Just not a good brew, and I never would have guessed that I was drinking an ale. Watery, not very drinkable.

2.37/5  rDev -33.8%

Crisp, clean, yellow brew with white thick foamy head. Good lacing.

Papery, wet cardboard, bland.

Thin, wet, awkward dryness, missing much flavor from hops. Papery. Darn near water. Medium carbonation, substantial carbonation helps out the lack of flavors. Too wet and watery, not well balanced or complemented.

Initial drainpour, but then I wanted a crisp clean-ish brew. Cant recommend, but fits the summer profile. Kona can do better, a total miss.

2.38/5  rDev -33.5%

Let's pop the top and pow- a whiff off a pine needles in a week old laundry basket that neutralizes the appearance of a thick head, lacing that sticks to the glass and rising bubbles.

The aroma combined with the light honey, hint of tea and salt on the tongue doesn't do it for me. However it does finish clean. Tried one slightly warmer and another colder; sadly it does not get any better. Food pairing- I do think this might work in a steak marinade.

Maybe coming from half way across the globe adversely changed the beer. That being said I find it overhyped and not all that. Not recommended.

Honestly if this style is considered to be influential introducing people to craft beers, I'll go all the way over and say I'd prefer a passable AAL or Euro lager almost every time.

I feel so dirty.

2.39/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a very pale straw with a smallish head. The aroma is slightly yeasty, but I mostly smell white bread, and something that reminds me of shampoo. The flavor is of very pale malt, with hints of toffee and peanut, a quite sweet for how light the body is. The mouthfeel is somewhat insubstantial, but there is quite a syrupy afterfeel. Overall this was not an ejoyable brew, but my expectations were not too high.

2.4/5  rDev -33%

2.42/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.43/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

This beer poured an expected nice golden color and the smell had some hints of piney hops. The taste gave way to a quick taste of those piney hops however the after taste was weak and almost flavorless.

2.46/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Alright after not being able to get even halfway through 3 different American style ales this evening, I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like any significant amount of American hops. Supposedly this is the least bitter of the 3 that I tried tonight (Celebration Ale, Audible Ale, and this) and while that may be true, the aftertaste (hop) is still horrible to me. While I thought Pilsner Urquell was a tad more bitter than I like, I was at least able to drink the entire beer. The 3 mentioned, not even close.

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

Big Wave Golden Ale from Kona Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.58 out of 5 with 1,904 ratings