Hanalei Island IPA | Kona Brewing Co.

Hanalei Island IPAHanalei Island IPA
Liked This Beer
3.65 w/ 143 ratings
Hanalei Island IPAHanalei Island IPA

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
konabrewingco.com

Style: American IPA

This easy-drinking island-inspired IPA is Kona Brewing Co.’s homage to Kauai, “the most beautiful place on earth.” Passionfruit, orange and guava balance the subtle bitterness of aromatic Azacca and Galaxy hops to deliver a coppery laidback, session-style ale bright with tropical flavors.

Added by ConradKenney on 07-26-2016

Liked:
3.65/5
Alströms:

Reviews by timmy2b:
3.46/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle poured into a goblet. Golden color with a very small amount of white head. Passionfruit overtook any hop bitterness or bite. Smooth, but not a true IPA because of the overwhelming passionfruit flavor. Drinkable but would not rush to have again.

2.3/5  rDev -37%

Somewhat enticed by the flashy label and the promise of passion fruit and guava that offsets bitter hops, but that promise simply doesn't deliver. Weak, bitter, watery; Sour Corona effectively. 2nd fail I've had from Kona.

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Another recent major score at the FGBS in Lancaster, PA! You may get as excited as you like, chasing down your whales & standing in line for CANs, but I dig new beers to drink & review, even if it is from a bottle.

From the bottle: "Kayak the stunning Hanalei Bay and ease your way through the tropical paradise of northern Kauai. Refresh your senses with this crisp Island IPA - the subtle bitterness of hops is balanced by passionfruit, orange and guava. Easy does it."; "Passionfruit*Orange*Guava"; "Ale brewed with Passionfruit, Orange and Guava with natural flavor added"; "Liquid Aloha".

A Hawaiian Eye PA, starring Robert Conrad, Connie Stevens & on ukulele, Bro. Woody! Man, if you get that allusion, you are much older than you seem on here. I plan to investigate this beer in great detail. Daddy-O, I Pop!ped that cap & ran my comb through what's left of my kookie hair before stripping down in the 77 degree sunset. I had heard that there was combat! on Kona, but nothing happens without a pour. I gave it a heavy-handed pour, raising a finger of foamy, fizzy, bone-white head with limited retention. Hold on, a fugitive is knocking at my door! I just called LT Girard and let him know that Dr. Kimble is headed to Route 66, so back to my beer. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, prompting a visit, no surprise, from The Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus, all clamoring for a taste. Dang! I wanted it all to myself, but they have been very good to me, protecting me from the evil Minhas family, so I relented. Nose was riotous with fruit & I would have gotten guava & orange without question, but it has been a while since I last tasted passionfruit. Mmm. The taste was very reminiscent of the tropical fruit drinks that I was exposed to during my stint as a west coast sailor. I had a "girlfriend" in the P.I. with whom I routinely had public sex. One special evening, Mama-san & she fashioned a complete head-to-toe outfit from fruit! I ate as much as I could before we, ahem, started. We were so sticky, it was like we were glued together until the SPs arrived & I had to quickly extricate myself. This kind of tropical fruit combo always takes me back to those salad days. Honey West just called. She wants me to meet her & Peter Gunn at Surfside 6, so I need to begin wrapping this up. I am surprised to hear myself saying this, but it could have used more malt sweetness. It was very fruity and pretty bitter with citrus flavors, but it left it lopsided. 8=( Finish was dry and citrusy, but I felt like I needed a glass of water or to turn the channel afterwards. It just needs some minor tweaking.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Aroma definitely had some guava, not sure what passion fruit smells like but I detected some peachy tropical notes. The taste is tart, with some lemony accents, definitely not a big hop bomb - which is nice for a change given this is an IPA. Mouthfeel is light, carb is average, pours a golden straw color. A nice refreshing IPA with some bitter hops and bitter citrus. It does have a sour edge to be aware. Also the "malt backbone" is not exactly that strong since it is a defacto "session ipa." Regardless, it is a beer you should try if you dig Kona Brewing - my guess is this is way better on tap, served in their Kona Brewery. :)

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at Waterfront Ale House, New York, NY

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with short white head that died down, leaving a small collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of tropical fruits are present in the nose.
T: The taste follows the smell and has flavors of tropical fruits such as passionfruit. There is only a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This IPA isn't that heavy on the palate so it is easy to drink, particularly on a hot summer day.

Serving type: on-tap

3.98/5  rDev +9%

The fruit aroma and flavors are fantastic. Unfortunately, it drinks more like a pale ale as a whole. Hops are a hindsight. High in bicarbonates. Alkaline flavor in the back.

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Darker gold and near clear. Starts with a single finger head which settles to rim bubbles. Lots of small spots for lace.

Pineapple and other tropical aromas.

Starts with a toasted malt. The hop is strong in a white pepper way. Decent body with an elevated carbonation level. Overall, a pretty well balanced IPA.

3.09/5  rDev -15.3%

on draft, in a shaker pint glass

clear light golden in color, foamy white head. aroma is sweet grain and some mild tropical fruit hop aroma. taste is fairly bland - would not call this an IPA. thin bodied

2.53/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Haven't had a beer from Kona in awhile, so I thought I would give this a try.
A lot missing with this IPA, I got no hops on the aroma or in taste. Did taste some of
that orange they said was in there but it went away really fast. won't revisit

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%

Hmmm, an American IPA that’s 4.5% ABV?! Bit suss about this, shouldn’t an IPA be between 5.5%-7.5% ABV? [consults BJCP 2015 Guidelines]... yep: 5.5%-7.5% ABV... bit of a misnomer there Kona. Apart from that I’m slightly excited by the addition of passionfruit, orange and guava (mostly about the guava - don’t think I’ve had a beer with guava in it before). Ironically this Hawaiian brewer actually has their beers brewed on the continental US in Portland, OR, and Portsmouth, NH, two states which have a totally different climate to Hawaii... I wonder why Kona do that? Seems a bit odd to me... that said Sapporo is brewed in Australia under licence by Coopers so I guess it’s no different in that sense.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: It’s got a Tequila Sunrise look to it - cloudy orange with a splash of pink in the body and a light foamy white head that settles to a lace ring... interesting, wonder if the pink from guava is giving off that hue? Alright regardless. 7/10.

S: Upfront passionfruit and guava characters give it the impression that it is heavily hopped - well played sir. There’s a grassy note in there as well. Not really picking up any orange, though I’m not fussed and frankly I’m getting over orange flavours in APAs/IPAs. Not really detecting any malts, but that’s no biggie in an IPA - the “hop” flavours are there, that is what’s important. 8/10.

T: Guava comes through with a surprising tartness that works well with the grassy/passionfruit characters. Malt isn’t really there, apart from a hint of dry cracker. Finish has an almost Lager crispness with light bitterness. It’s light on flavour for an IPA, which both makes it quite sessionable and not really an IPA at all - kind of the antithesis of an American IPA really [IPAs should be in yo face]. 7/10.

M: Mouthfeel is expectedly light bodied and needs a little bit more weight IMO, carbonation is slightly gassy as well. 6/10.

D: This would be an excellent hot weather beer - it’s the middle of winter in Brisbane atm (not that it ever gets too cold here) but you can tell this would be a cracker of a brew on a hot day - I’m picturing a Hawaiian summer luau right now and I could probably scull a litre of this in that circumstance... as it stands now: I need something big, dark and malty. However I liked this better than I expected to - there’s always a bit of trepidation with fruit-addition beers but this one did it well and subtly enough not to overcompensate for a crappy brew. 8/10.

Food match: I did mention luau above - go the luau, no poi!

3.25/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bought a 6-pack Longs Drugs $7.99
Smell of passion-orange-guava
Slightly hazy golden color
Medium-high carbonation
Light mouthfeel
Slight tart taste, none of the bitterness you expect from an IPA, easy drinking, taste doesn't match the smell
Overall just ok. Not one of the better Kona Brews. Probably won't buy again.

3.59/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.66/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

3.25/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.89/5  rDev +6.6%

12 oz bottle served in a Leinenkugel glass.

This IPA has a slightly hazy amber body with tiny but visible suspended sediment, presumably from the fruits. Some carbonation is evident. The off-white head is moderate in size, durable, and leaves a temporary full coat of lacing on the glass upon tipping the glass.

The fruity and floral aroma carries way more tropical fruits than hops, but the flavor has more hop presence - to the level expected in an APA rather than an IPA. While the aroma has a particularly strong note of guava, the flavor features a more balanced blend of passion-fruit, orange and guava, with hints of grapefruit. Medium bitterness, at least by the finish.

Lively medium carbonation in a near medium body.

Overall: an easy-drinking, bright and fruity IPA is readily recommended to fans of hoppy ales with tropical fruit notes.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle - when they specify the fruit additions, and then have to say 'with natural flavor added', I get nervous.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium copper amber colour, with a teeming tower of puffy, rocky, and chunky off-white head, which leaves some random splattered and sudsy lace around the glass as it slowly and evenly subsides.

It smells of fleshy tropical fruit (guava, blood orange, peach, and passionfruit), grainy and bready caramel malt, and very subtle grassy, leafy, and floral green hop bitters. The taste is gritty and grainy pale malt, a lesser biscuity caramel sweetness, some much reduced exotic fruity notes (pineapple core, dried orange peel, and peach pits), a bit of earthy yeastiness, and more tame leafy, weedy, and dead floral verdant hoppiness.

The carbonation is fairly laid-back in its bored-seeming frothiness, the body a so-so middleweight, and mostly smooth, with nothing really a threat to the status quo here. It finishes trending dry, the malt going all crackery, and the fruit gasping its last breath.

Overall - well, this one started off oh so promisingly, but blew its load a little too prematurely. Yeah, the big tropical fruit aroma really pulled me in, and then BAM! It nearly disappeared - kind of underwhelming to say the least, so I'm not going to say more.

3.49/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bottling date of 02/07/17

Appearance - Pours mostly clear and golden in color with a white, finger width head. Good retention, resulting in a thin, broken layer of suds and a fair ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell - Very fruity aroma that delivers on the promise of the label - Passionfruit, Orange and guava. Hints of bready sweetness. Not much else.

Taste - Follows the nose. Flavorful, tropical fruit upfront with sweet orange, slightly spicy flavor of the passionfruit and some guava mellowness. Quick flash and then it's gone, leaving behind a hint of grain and faint lemon pith bitterness, leaving much to be desired in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Light in body with moderate carbonation, then quickly turns watery in the finish.

Overall - Decent flavor with the Orange, Passionfruit and Guava, but ultimately comes off very light and hollow when it comes to the hop and malt bill, leaving a watered down impression. Tastes more akin to a fruited up blonde than anything IPA. I'll finish the sixer, but I don't think I'll be coming back to it anytime soon.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Hanalei Island IPA from Kona Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 44.8% out of 100 with 143 ratings