Wailua Wheat | Kona Brewing Co.

Read the review
Wailua WheatWailua Wheat

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
konabrewingco.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Spring

Swimming in a fresh water pool at the base of a cascading waterfall is what we all imagine we would find in paradise. On Maui, follow the old Hana Highway and you will find such a place – Wailua Falls. This plunging cascade of clear water is the inspiration for our Limited Release Wailua Wheat Ale. This golden, sun colored ale has a bright, citrus flavor that comes from the tropical passion fruit we brew into each batch. Sit back, relax and enjoy paradise anytime.

Added by rowew on 05-01-2007

Ratings: 1,001 |  Reviews: 385

Very light in color. Crisp and easy to drink. Lovely overtones of tropical fruit. This the perfect summer brew in. my opinion.

4.79/5  rDev +43.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Love the passion fruit aftertaste, great warm weather beer

4.74/5  rDev +41.9%

My first review, and keying it on my Blackberry... So bear with me.

Was a bit reluctant to buy Wailua, because fruity beer is not my thing.
But Kona has impressed me in the past, so gave it a try.

Served cold (about 45F) found it quite refreshing.

Drank from the bottle, so can't fairly judge appearance.

Smell is inviting, with a bit of hops and a distinct tropical fruitiness.

Mouthfeel was pleasant... Crisp and light with a comfortable prickle of carbonation
No puckering, and it goes down VERY easily, especially on a hot day.

Taste was surprising. It"s a good wheat beer, but there is no mistaking the passionfruit. The flavors work very well together.
It's not sweet... That is why I liked it. They've managed to carry the fruit flavor without a sugary or syrupy taste. I've never before experienced a fruity beer like this.

Short; it would be very easy to drink too much of this. Will definitely buy more!

4.67/5  rDev +39.8%

A side note about this, and all of Kona's beers. Kona brewing only makes kegs at their brewery in Hawaii for local consumption. The only place to get the beer actually from their brewery is on tap in Hawaii. They contract out with Widmer Brothers for all their bottled beer and kegs on the West coast and redhook on the east coast. So yes, if you drink this beer in a bottle in Hawaii it came from Widmer and rode a boat to get there, and if you drink it in a keg in the states it isnt from hawaii. That said the recipe is the same and they visit a few times to check on the process but some of the ingredient sources are different. Source: the tour at the brewery in Kona.

On to the Review
Appearance: Has the color of a pilsner, a golden straw, pours a very light head that dissipates into a faint ring.
Smell: The nose is dominated by the sweet and floral passion fruit with some hints of wheat.
Taste: Crisp with citrus and other tropical fruits fading into a little bit of wheat than a floral finish.
Mouthfeel: Exactly what I'm looking for in a summer beer, its light crisp smooth and refreshing, almost has the feel of white wine/champagne. The kind of beer I could sit on the beach and drink all day.

Overall: This is a great Hawaiian beer, it s welcoming, easy to drink tropical refreshing and complementing the island climate and cuisine. I do think I might like this beer more if it were unfiltered however. I have had this beer in the bottle since I came back and still enjoyed it although I found the taste and nose were much weaker and would lower them a point each if I was grading the bottle. Its still a good beer for a hot day and I'll take it any day over a corona at the beach but it lacks the character to where I'd pair it with food. Maybe things just taste better in Hawaii but drinking this at their brewery is one of my all time favorites

Serving: On tap @ the brewery on the big island.

4.57/5  rDev +36.8%

L: Pours a clear golden yellow color with a tall and medium bodied white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet wheat malts, hints of citrus and another sweet fruit that I can't put my nose on.
T: Tastes of a really light toasted malt base followed by a nice citrus/passion fruit flavor and a light hint of hops at the end of the taste. Passion fruit was the flavor I couldn't identify before. But I couldn't identify it until after I read the bottle, then it all clicked haha.
M: Very light, biscuity, fruity, refreshing, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, I loved it, especially on a hot spring day sitting in the sun. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a sessional summer beer.

4.54/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

What can I say. This beer was unique and exciting and those are qualities I look for in a beer.
Both my boyfriend I weren't quite sure what to make of it at first, but after the first couple of sips of it's sweet seductive magick we were under it's spell.
I (we) only rated this a 3.5 for appearance, we both poured our beers into frosted glass and his had a head on it whereas mine did not. His glass was narrower than mine so I attribute it to that. Both bottles tasted the same. I look forward to having it on tap (if any of the bars or distributors local to me get it that way.)
I'm going to help myself to another...

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

I only picked up one bottle of these when I went shopping this morning. since I was on foot in the Waikiki area I couldn't carry much, and I found some other beers too. This is unfortunate, because I wish I had more of these.

This is exactly what a specialty beer is supposed to be. Something unique and tasty. The aroma is authentic passion fruit with that wheat beer smell. It's pretty and light in the glass (unfortunately, I still don't have decent glass to drink out of).

The taste is smooth and relatively simple. Clean. Creamy, like all the Kona beers seem to be. It's a perfect addition to an afternoon in Hawaii.

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

You had this beer. Write a review.

Wailua Wheat from Kona Brewing Co.