Wailua Wheat | Kona Brewing Co.

Read the review
Wailua WheatWailua Wheat

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
konabrewingco.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Spring

Swimming in a fresh water pool at the base of a cascading waterfall is what we all imagine we would find in paradise. On Maui, follow the old Hana Highway and you will find such a place – Wailua Falls. This plunging cascade of clear water is the inspiration for our Limited Release Wailua Wheat Ale. This golden, sun colored ale has a bright, citrus flavor that comes from the tropical passion fruit we brew into each batch. Sit back, relax and enjoy paradise anytime.

Added by rowew on 05-01-2007

Ratings: 1,008 |  Reviews: 386

1.05/5  rDev -68.5%

Poured from bottle into lager glass, served at 46 degrees.

Palest yellow beer I ever saw, no head. Aroma was alcohol and skunky. Taste was alcohol and bitter, face puckering. Extremely thin and watery. No drinkability. Even if I don't like a beer I can usually finish it, not this one.

Overall one of the five worst beers I've ever had. It's a limited release so hopefully it was just a bad batch or lack of practice. Definitely NOT recommended!

1.25/5  rDev -62.5%

1.25/5  rDev -62.5%

1.5/5  rDev -55%

1.55/5  rDev -53.5%

A: Pours a clear golden yellow with a small, fizzy, off-white head.

S: Honestly, smell like vomit. Maybe some passion fruit and maybe some wheat, but it's bad and smell liked some puked up a beer.

T: Taste follows the smell. Watered down wheaty flavor with a sour passion fruit hint. There's a funky aspect to it that's just gross.

M: Light body, medium carbonation, watery texture.

O: Bought a six pack of this and between 3 people, we hated it. Ended up pouring the whole 6-pack down the drain. Not drinkable in the least bit and wouldn't drink it if it was free.

1.75/5  rDev -47.4%

I guess I just don't like passion fruit... the beer smelled pretty good... but once i took a sip of it I was turned off by the overpowering flavor. It was really a one note beer... just that nasty bitter passion fruit flavor... will never drink this again.

1.75/5  rDev -47.4%

1.8/5  rDev -45.9%

Pours a slightly hazy dark golden yellow with a half finger white head that immediately fades into a very thin ring. Not much in the way of lacing.

Slightly earthy aroma with some zesty spice, floral hops, bread and citrus fruit. Hints of pine, pepper and coriander along with hints of lemon and orange peel. I'm not very familiar with passion fruit but there is a somewhat prominent citrus character. All of these characteristics are kind of bland however and the nose isn't too interesting.

Medium bodied with a balanced of earthy hops, zesty spice, bready yeast and sweet citrus. The hop presence adds a slight dryness and earthy character. This is followed by a strong spice presence that overpowers the other notes. The bready yeast adds to the palate but the spice and passion fruit add an odd, unpleasant metallic flavor that lingers after the finish.

1.86/5  rDev -44.1%

My girlfriend bought a 6 Pack of this a week or so ago and has been telling me that she really likes it. Poured into a pint glass.

Half inch off white head. Medium to Heavy carbonation. Brightly colored yellow. Lacing is very minimal.

Aroma is more of a juice than a beer with strong fruity tones of passion fruit. Slight wheat aroma.

Taste's like it smells; passion fruit. This is a bit overpowering; not well balanced. The wheat flavor comes later. Not bitter at all.

Medium body, smooth, medium carbonation.

I could not drink many of these as they are very sweet.

I'll leave this one for my girlfriend who enjoys this beer.

1.94/5  rDev -41.7%

There was no need to add passion fruit to beer. I just can't see a compelling reason that would warrant bottling and multi-state distribution. That said, the beer grew on me a bit and has a nice look. The nose is slightly stale wheat, pale malt and passion fruit. The taste is similar. The pale malt gets entirely drowned out by sweet passion fruit. It tastes more like passion fruit syrup. I'm not commenting on the actual brewing ingredients, just the flavor. The wheat is too mild and lacks the spice of truly good wheat beers. I'm not a big fan of Kona. Sometimes, they tread a fine line between gimmicky and experimental, and this beer ends up gimmicky, in my opinion. The whole thing is just so sweet that I can feel my teeth getting sore. In my humble opinion, you need some subtlety and complexity to pull off a fruit-blended beer successfully. This beer has neither.

1.96/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours super clear and pale. Like a Bud Light. Not much head, seems very flat by appearance. Light and fruity aroma. Peaches, apparently passion fruit, and flowery scents. Juicy. Don't really get much malt, but it's light and barely there. I do sense some wheat when it warms a little. Nectary flavor starts things out. Flavor is light and stays that way throughout. Hardly any bitterness, but it does mellow out at the end a bit. Dry finish, thin feel.

This is very one note. Light and fruity with some wheat malt to bring it some body is how I would describe this.There really isn't much else.

2.01/5  rDev -39.6%

Bombee into standard pint, served cold.

A: super pale straw colored and very clear looks almost Kölsch-like. No head retention, pretty pathetic for any beer especially a wheat. No cap or ring, looks refreshing but kinda weak.

S: smells like wheat beer but also has that offputting AAL smell, like a bottle of Bud. Getting a bit of fruit, couldn't say if it was passionfruit or not though. No hops.

T: wheat beer for sure but with all sorts of weird about it. I can pick out a little fruit but it is faint. An unappealing aftertaste like a domestic macro. All the flavors are light, this beer is almost watery tasting.

M: super light and despite having the watery feel of a crummy AAL it is super gritty and not smooth at all. Leave the mouth dry and is only a little refreshing. If I wanted a watery session brew I would get a Full Sail Session Lager.

O: very unimpressive. Super light and all that but has nothing really going for it other than what little wheat flavor it has.

Wailua Wheat from Kona Brewing Co.