Longboard Island Lager | Kona Brewing Co.

Longboard Island LagerLongboard Island Lager
3.37/5
Longboard Island LagerLongboard Island Lager

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
konabrewingco.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Longboard Island Lager is a smooth refreshing lager fermented and aged for five weeks at cold temperatures to yield its exceptionally smooth flavor. A delicate, slightly spicy hop aroma complements the malty body of this beer.

Added by Bierman9 on 08-07-2002

Ratings: 2,768 |  Reviews: 710

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

3.54/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: pours a 1/2" white head that recedes quickly. Straw colored and clear with plenty of carbonation evident.
Aroma: nice and mild with sweet lightly toasted bread and some mild fruity hop aroma Mouthfeel: light and crisp with a refreshingly dry finish.
Flavor: sweet barley malt, some white bread, with a mild fruity hop bite and a little bitterness in the finish.
Overall: this is a very pleasant lager and seems to me closer in style to European pale lagers than American macros.

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

My local supermarket has a build your own six pack area where you can buy beer by the bottle. I try to pick up a new beer each time I go, and Longboard looked good.

I poured it from a bottle into a glass. It formed a small head which disappeared quickly. The taste was very good. It had body without being overly hoppy.

In short, this is a good beer that I would love to drink again.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Kona's Longboard Island Lager last week at The Lager Mill. I had this beer a long time ago and at the time I thought it was a solid Lager and I'm interested to see what I think of it now, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks looks nice, it got a similar style to the label on the other beer I have tried from them, I think the label goes good with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a very clear yellow color that was slightly pale and it took on more of a golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly creamy white head that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking Lager, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some sweet malt, very grainy, biscuity and grassy like aromas with some doughy yeast aromas showing up in the background. I can't pick up any hop presence. This beer had an ok aroma and I found it to be very average for a Lager.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same exact malty aspect that they did in the aroma with that same amount of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there's no bitterness with a nice grainy and biscuit like aftertaste that lingers a little longer than most Lagers. I thought this was decent tasting Lager, It was still a little bland like the aroma, but I liked the lingering aftertaste.

M- Smooth, clean, pretty crisp, slightly refreshing, light bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was just slightly prickly. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that was true to style and worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a pretty close to average example of the style, it was very true to style and it had pretty much all the aspects that I would expect from a Lager, but it still was a little bland and it felt like it was missing a little bit of something. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, pretty crisp, a little refreshing, not filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I could probably drink more than a few of these, but I think the taste would start to loose my interest so one or two would be enough for me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel. to me those were the highlights of this beer and I thought they were both pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it seemed just a little blander than the taste and I felt it was lacking something, but I don't know what that is. I don't think I would buy this beer again, there's a few Lagers that I enjoy much more than this one and I can't say I would recommend it unless your big a Lager fan. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, it wasn't a bad beer by any means and it didn't have any off flavors or off aspects, but it fell pretty much right in the middle in every aspect and it wasn't too memorable. This isn't my favorite Lager and Big Wave Golden Ale is still my favorite beer from Kona, but I don't see how this Island Lager is any different from any other Lager. I appreciate the attempt but this one could use just a little bit of work, better luck next time guys.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Longboard Island Lager from Kona Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.37 out of 5 with 2,768 ratings