Longboard Island Lager | Kona Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Longboard Island LagerLongboard Island Lager

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
konabrewingco.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Longboard Island Lager is a smooth refreshing lager fermented and aged for five weeks at cold temperatures to yield its exceptionally smooth flavor. A delicate, slightly spicy hop aroma complements the malty body of this beer.

Added by Bierman9 on 08-07-2002

Ratings: 2,744 |  Reviews: 704
3.12/5  rDev -7.4%

Its ok I can find it pretty easy. It not the best Lager out there but it sure beats Bud Light.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L: Pours brilliant straw to gold under a 1” sudsy white foam cap.
S: Spicy hops, light grain with faint apple.
T: Drinks very crisp and clean with a firm malt backbone with just a hint of caramel and a moderately bitter hop accent.
F: Medium light body and medium to medium high carbonation.
O: Very smooth, refreshing easy to drink lager.

3.31/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%

I was feeling a little fuzzy when I had this as I had over-indulged with a load of Belgian trappist beers the night before I trying this! I found it very refreshing though, as a lager should be. Nothing really stands out in this one taste wise but I enjoyed drinking it with a pizza. I could session this on a hot day with a barbeque for example.

3.37/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.36/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.94/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

It's a beer. Nothing about this really stands out to me. It's not bad, but nothing I'd track down again.

3.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Looks amber colour with thin white head. Definite smell, very hoppy, grainy for a lager. Mild smooth flavour that carries the hops over from the aroma. Very clean taste. Taste more like a basic pale ale than a lager. Great summer beer. I'm not a big lager fan, (o.k. oktoberfest and bock excluded) but this one is very enjoyable. Prost!

3.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

3.67/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Second bottle from the Kona variety pack I picked up not long ago. Bottling date is February 17th, 2015.

Appearance is pretty much what you'd expect of a pale lager -- pours very pale yellow, slightly darker once it's all in the glass, very clear. Lots of bubbles rising up through the beer, and a fluffy white head of foam on top which is pretty big upon first pouring but rapidly shrinks to a coating on top over the next couple minutes -- but unlike some of the other pale lagers I've had, the foam doesn't ever disappear completely, at least not in the time you'd take to drink a standard pint glass's worth of this. Bonus points for great bottle design, both the label and bottle itself.

Smell isn't especially strong, but what's there isn't bad. A bit of a grain/bready sort of thing and a bit of that grassy pale-lager-hops smell (especially noticeable when first opening the bottle, but present afterward too) which I didn't notice when I had my first bottle of this last night, and a bit of an almost corn-on-the-cob type sweetness.

Taste has the features present in the smell -- grain, a sweet/starchy thing that's reminding me of corn even though I'm guessing no actual corn is present in the beer (as it's not classified as an adjunct lager), and again just a bit of hoppy grassiness which I for some reason wasn't picking up in the bottle I had last night. The flavors are on the milder side, but what's there is pretty nice, definitely nothing that seems "off" at all. Plays nice with food, too -- the later half of this glass is accompanying some mac & cheese with tomatoes and green chiles, and neither the food or the beer seem to be impacting each other's flavors in a bad way at all.

Mouthfeel is pretty nice, too. Light but not quite watery, and very, very drinkable. This is definitely a beer you can easily have two or three of with a meal (or without a meal, even.) I'd probably do just that if not for the fact that I've got to go to work at 4:00 and I don't want to be drinking multiple beers before I drive!

Overall -- this is actually a really nice little lager, and works really well for cooling off after a long summer day or having a beer (or a few) with a meal. I think I underrated this one a bit yesterday when I had my first one -- comparing to Nooner (as I had one bottle of each yesterday) the first thing that stood out is how mild it is, but comparing to others in the overall "pale lager" category (American pale lager/European pale lager/adjunct lager) that I've had, this is actually really good, easily the best of its category that I've had!
To summarize: basically an upgraded version of the Red Stripe, Tecate, etc. type of lighter island/tropical pale lagers -- all of the positive features of those beers, but with none of the negatives and a bit more flavor. If you're looking for something that's lighter without being "lite," I'd say this would be a great choice.

Longboard Island Lager from Kona Brewing Co.