Longboard Island Lager | Kona Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Longboard Island LagerLongboard Island Lager

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
konabrewingco.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Longboard Island Lager is a smooth refreshing lager fermented and aged for five weeks at cold temperatures to yield its exceptionally smooth flavor. A delicate, slightly spicy hop aroma complements the malty body of this beer.

Added by Bierman9 on 08-07-2002

Reviews: 691 | Ratings: 2,700
3.05/5  rDev -9.5%

For a lager I think this Longboard fell short. Its a sub par lager.

A: Light golden color but cloudy. No real excitement building from carbonation. Seems light even for a lager. Head fizzles away quickly and it literally fizzes.

S: Yeasty and piney.

T: bland and boring. Bitter like a pale should be, but not really smooth like a lager. More like a failed ale with the yeast flavors.

M: Light bodied and leaves the mouth cleanly.

D: Nothing horrible about this beer. If I ever had a reason to drink a lot of beers this would be one of my top choices. Won't get it to enjoy a beer.

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Not particularly the greatest beer, but very solid and one of my favorites believe it of not. I usually don't drink beer in a frosted glass, but for the Longboard, it is very good super cold. O.K. so, the color is average, like most lagers, not a lot of head but good longevity with the ring left on top. The smell wasn't very strong, just clean. The taste was clean and refreshing. Just a great beer to drink at the Kona Brew Pub at KoKo Marina on the back deck in the mid afternoon. Just a bit better than average in most aspects, but when drinking it, it is just great for some reason I can't explain.

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%

Label: Talks about paying tribute to Waikiki beach as the birthplace of surfing. I find that appropriate as I see this beer paying tribute to Hawaii, even though it's not brewed there. It's my understanding all bottles of Kona in the US are brewed state side. Held this bottle longer than anticipated, laser date on neck MAR0508 (sampled FEB1509).

A) Pale yellow, as it should be, with a thin white cap that holds for a while and leaves strings of lace.

S) Mild sweetness and a basic grain profile, clean, and a mild orange hop.

T) Has some flavor to it, this isn't a standard macrobrew. There is a nice bitter grapefruit and earthy hops even though this bottle is pretty old. There is a little grainy finish, almost wheat, that keeps a malty vibe going.

M) Body is about medium, carbonation level is subdued but keeps the beer lively, finishes fairly dry.

D) Not bad at all. I'd choose this over a standard Macro, but I don't feel the need to buy any more.

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance: Typical lager with a big head.

Smell: Basic lager, some hops

Taste: Some malt and hops, standard fair

Mouthfeel: Good execution - firm body, nice carbonation

Drinkability: You could drink a couple - not sure why you would want to though. Lawnmower/football beer. An average lager, but at least they didn't mess anything up. I can see someone loving this on vacation, then finding out it wasn't that special after discovering it at a bar or local store.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

a: This was a slightly cloudy straw colored yellow. It poured with a short, creamy white head.

s: Clean bready malts and a little prickly sweetness. Just a whisper of something bitter as well.

t: Not bad, sweet grains up front and some flowery bitterness at the end. Not a lot of either, but more than I expected.

m: Decent body, crisp carbonation.

d: Nothing wrong with this one.

3.56/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Crystal clear, straw colored. Slight head that goeas away fast.

Smell: Smells of malts. No hop aroma. Some corn aromas in here typical of an american lager.

Taste: Tastes as it should More flavorful than BMC. Some hop flavor that is a pleasant surprise.

Mouthfeel: Heavier than expected. Nice

Drinkability: I'd drink this over BMC anyday.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

I'm not a big fan of hanging out at the beach, but if I was, I can see myself putting down a few of these to cool myself off.

This brew has the classic golden yellow lager color, with a good foamy white head and decent lacing on the glass. Slightly grassy and skunky aroma. This brew has good complexity, with a decent amount of malt, a slight amount of sweetness, and a skunky note that I thought rounded out the flavor, rather than detract from it. Good grassy hops bitterness at the finish. Hits the right level of carbonation, and a really drinkable brew.

There are times when the best beer in the world is a good, drinkable thirst quenching lager, and this is a really solid one.

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%

Drinking this at work right now...good times. Poured into pint glass

Appearance is very clear yellow with a bright white head that faded fast and left a white film. Smells slightly of pears and rice. Taste pretty good but nothing special. This is a decent lager that I could drink a lot of on a hot summer day on the lake.

2.8/5  rDev -16.9%

Reviewed on 8/25/08. Bottle, bottled 6/2/08. Pours a light clear orange with a small white head. Aroma of wheat and some faint melon rind. Flavor is also quite wheaty with some cardboard and bittery hops in the finish. Kind of flavorless. Not bad for a lager though.
6/3/5/3/11 (2.8/5)

2.28/5  rDev -32.3%

I walk by this beer in my local Bevmo regularly, always curious what this brewery can do with a lager, having tried and liked their Coconut Stout...a lot. I was in a Wahoo's tonight waiting for my order and saw they had it on tap. I had 10 minutes, why not?

After the pour, I felt instant dissappointment. Poured a pale, thin yellow, with little froth that quickly disappeared.

Smell was almost non-existant, I was reminded of a Budweiser.

The taste followed what I expected from the sight and smell, thin and watery with barely a hint of hops, maybe a tiny twinge of pineapple?

Good carbonation, little aftertaste.

Well, you could probably beer bong this one...

2.53/5  rDev -24.9%

An unimpressive, boring lager from Kona. This beer was just a half step above the big macro adjunct lagers. It almost tasted of adjunct grains, itself, but I'll just chalk that up to the general lackluster flavor. There's a little bit of spiciness but it's oppressed by the bland pale malt. There is little aroma, at least served cold from the tap. I had this at a fairly random bar and would have chalked some of the flavor problems up to freshness, but I saw other people ordering it and there was a weekly happy hour special on it (actually, I guess that could go either way on what it says about the keg's freshness. At any rate, it's certainly a lager. I kept writing boring after taking notes on this beer. There are certainly better lagers out there, and there are definitely worse ones. I just can't think of a reason to ever try this one again short of a convergence of great need and extremely limited selection.

3.61/5  rDev +7.1%

Longboard is a good all-American lager, crisp, refreshing, and easy to drink. It tastes moderately hoppy, with hints of hop spice and pepper, and a little astringent note on the back end.

Very drinkable, a perfect beer to enjoy a six-pack on the beach.

3.72/5  rDev +10.4%

$1.39 12 oz. single at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia. Packaged on July 3rd, 2008.

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a smallish, white head.

Smell: Aroma smelling of light pale malts, an incredibly light touch of caramel, and distinctive spicy hops. Oh, and a tiny hint of dinner rolls.

Taste: Light pale maltiness with a light, brief sweetness and hint of washed out caramel. Faintest hint of wheat chaff. Spicy, Saaz hops with a light, cleansing bitterness. Finishes quite crisp with a flutter of both carbonation of spicy hop character. Bits of dough in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Decent. I will say it certainly displays more malt and hop character than your basic macro lager.

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Not a bad beer. A little unimpressive. Worked OK tonight with some pasta, but wouldn't be my favorite with pizza. I'll drink this beer if someone offers it, but I won't buy it again.

If anybody figures out how the BCS is fair, please let me know.

2.94/5  rDev -12.8%

Nothing too impressive with this one, but I'm glad I tried it to get it out of the way. My wife used to like it but now that her palate is more refines, she hates it. :)

Pours clear yellow with a very fleeting fluffy bubbly white head.

Aroma is bland.

Flavor is bland.

Mouthfeel is light bodied.

Drinkable I guess if your into bland beer.

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

From notes.

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a pint glass. Label depicts a beach scene with some people surfing and a few longboards sticking out of the sand. Bottle on May1908. Under the cap is the Hawaiian lesson kanaka = person.

Appearance: Pours with 1 finger of nearly white head. This settles slowly to the barest of coatings; mainly a ring around the glass. Good lacing. The beer itself is the color of light honey with a slight chill haze.

Smell: Slightly sweet malt with hints of bubblegum esters and a slight metallic bite in the finish.

Taste: Decent carbonation bite upfront helps in delivering flavor. mellow bitterness rides on a backbone of biscuity malt. slightly basic feel in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is good.

Drinkability: A pleasant and flavorful lager. I'm liking Kona.

2.73/5  rDev -19%

Not much for head or lace which was odd because there are a lot bubbles in the body. A little line of lace does encircle the top. It has balanced aroma 50% hops bitterness and 50% malt sweetness. It has a crisp plain taste in all. The aftertaste is grassy and sweet. Light bodied with mellow carbonation.

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

I heard from a local representative that they "had this new beer from Hawai'i" just in. So immediately thought Kona Brewing company and sure enough I was right. I was very pleasantly surprised as I had wanted to try their beer for a while. After my first one I would say it was alright. Not worth the whole hype in my opinion. It pours a nice light/straw brown and has the aroma of malt with little hops. Has a nice head but died quickly with little lace. It tastes like your average lager, couldn't really pick up on any different flavors. But I guess when you brew in Hawai'i you don't get much of a selection for exotic ingredients besides fruit. Worth the extra price for a one time shot.

4.42/5  rDev +31.2%

This beer is in abundance on tap at pretty much every bar I was at in Maui. Overall I enjoyed the beer and ordered it several times. The taste is apparant, but not too strong. Good for anyone that doesn't like their beer being too dark or too heavy. I even went to the extent to find where they distribute Kona Brewing in the bay area!

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not my favorite lager, but it may be my favorite from America (lager that is).

It came out with little or no hop nose, the head is not abundant, a little unimpressive.

It is not crisp nor is it heavy, for a lager it has a lot of taste, and is not as "small" of a beer as I had thought it would be.

The mouthfeel is good, and this is a very drinkable lager. I am kind of a fan, and on the off chance that I was stuck somewhere with the choice of the Longborad, or some over produced american lagers, and light pilsners I would chose the longboard. Otherwise, Im good, and I will stick with the stouts, and pale ales America is becoming so good at brewing.

3.62/5  rDev +7.4%

Brought back from Virginia (!) by my brother. Thanks Bro! Bottle has a packaged-on date of August 14.

Appearance -A slightly cloudy pale, golden pour (into my Kona Brewery shaker pint). Not much of a head-no lacing to speak of.

Smell -Sweet lightly malty nose. A bit floral.

Taste - Pretty good. Malty, slightly sweet with a hint of spicy hops in the center (Saaz, maybe?). No discernable corn taste like in many beers of this style.

Mouthfeel - Pretty highly carbonated which, as I hear it, is a local preference (Kona being the locale).

Drinkability- Not bad for an American-style lager.

Comments- I've been a fan of Kona beers since my first visit to the Big Island. Not my favorite offering from them, but true to style and drinkable.

3.26/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Light golden brown like any typical american lager

S - Faint hints of flowery, yeast aroma

T - Tastes of a typical lager with hints of citrus palate to create a good mouthfeel.

M - Good mouthfeel not too heavy nor light.

They redesigned the bottle to bring interest to it. I think it is a good beer to have while sitting around shooting bull with friends.

3.74/5  rDev +11%

Perhaps the most interesting thing is that this beer was purchased in the Myrtle Beach, SC area. I typically stay away from lagers and this one was brought back to Ohio as a gift so I can't complain.

Considering it made the several thousand mile journey to South Carolina and was then driven to Ohio it tasted very fresh. The smell left a bit to be desired, but this is one of the best tasting lagers I have had. The mouthfeel was reasonably thick for being a lager. I definitely thought to myself I could drink 3 or 4 more as I was finishing the one bottle I had. I would definitely have it again IF I see it again.

3.62/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a bright gold color with a faint white head.

Aromas are floral, doughy, and a bit yeast like.

Taste is quite dry with some creamy and slightly sweet malts. There is an overall bready and yeasty flavor underneath, and the finish is crisp, with a mineral like hop bite.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Feels full and thick in the mouth, especially nice for a lager.

Drinkability is good, and one of this beers strong suits. All in all, a flavorful lager that I have had quite a few times before. Above average, and sessionable.

2.48/5  rDev -26.4%

Ventured out to the Beverage Warehouse in Mar Vista (or thereabouts) and brought home some goodies. Unfortunately, this beer was not one of them.

Appearance - Pretty beer-like. Can't really call it "golden" it's more like a dark orangish/yellow.

Smell - Easily the worst part of the beer. It smells like the catch basin in a crowded bar. Just terrible.

Taste - A little sweet upfront, but nothing serious going on. Maybe a tiny hint of malty-bread. Pretty bland, which after the smell is a blessing.

Mouthfeel - It's so watery it isn't even watery. It's just water.

Drinkability - As long as I don't have to smell it, it's as drinkable as any mediocre beer.

This beer was terribly disappointing. While cold it seemed fine enough, but the time it took to down a bowl of chili turned it into an only moderately drinkable bev. It's not like I'd never have it again, but it'd have to be ice-cold.

Longboard Island Lager from Kona Brewing Co.