Fire Rock Pale Ale | Kona Brewing Co.

good
Fire Rock Pale AleFire Rock Pale Ale

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
konabrewingco.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Fire Rock Pale Ale is crisp, refreshing “Hawaiian-style” pale ale. Its signature copper color results from the unique blend of specialty roasted malts. The pronounced citrus-floral hop aroma comes from the liberal amounts of Galena, Cascade & Mt.Hood hops added to each brew.

Added by xlperro on 08-30-2002

Reviews: 675 | Ratings: 2,356
3.3/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy orange color with a large flat white head that tapers off but sticks around. Good bouquet, pine and lemon zest with light notes of honey. The taste is decent, with some bidder citrus tones, a touch of coriander spice and some but it really lacks depth and aggressiveness. Pretty oily in the mouth but not excessively so, crisp and refreshing. Almost like you were chewing wood with tea-tree oil at the very end, thought without the numbing effect. Still not quite bold or interesting enough.

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Fire rock pours a light amber with a nice little head that sticks on top well. Smell is a nice interplay between caramel malts and hops that results in a fruity sort of impression. yeast esters and a slight citrus twang behind it all. the taste is a very nice balance of those rich caramel malts and a firm bitterness, and slight hop flavor. Full flavored for sure, with an emphasis on the malts, but the hops stick around as well. It's medium bodied and has a hearty feel to it. Overall, a well balanced, slightly malt forward, but hoppy enough pale ale. Quite good.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%

this was ok. glad i paid $2.50 for this pint, only a few craft beers left on chaps norristown pa 1/2 price craft menu. surprisingly went well with my hot wings.

pale copper appearance not my favorite. smell was just ok, bready malts, not much hops in the aroma. taste little better, bready malts up front, with a nice hoppy middle, dry finish. just enough hop flavor to make a nice, refreshing beer with dinner.

as i enjoy mostly big beers, this is like drinking a light beer now. could make a decent session beer for some i suppose.

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%

Date on the bottle says Apr 27 '10.

A: Very attractive beer! Poured into a glass, it looks like the beer that you would see a picture of in the dictionary under "beer". Orange tan color, a bit darker than the pale ales I'm used to seeing.

S: Smells like tropical iced tea mixed with beer. I can smell pineapples and oranges along with the yeast. Smells wonderful.

T: Sweet at first with that tropical fruits thing going on. Increasingly bitter hops as it sits on the tongue, maybe a little too much for its style. Overall, a very tasty beer. I can't give it a 5, but I've given lesser beers a 4, so its a 4.5.

M: Medium bodied so that the flavor coats the mouth, but not as crisp and refreshing as I would expect given the flavor. It could be my fault, since it seems like a beer that should be served very cold, and I'm drinking it at about 50F.

D: I could drink a good number of these I think. The flavor goes well with the sausage pizza that I am eating with it. At 6% alcohol, it's session-able for me.

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%

Light amber/orange color, quite a thick and frothy head with an aggressive pour.

Smell is feint, sweet and flowery.

Taste starts sweet and malty, malts have a light taste, white chocolate maybe. Subtle bite of hops underlying and clean and smooth all the way through.

This is a very drinkable beer, not lacking in flavor but close to a session beer.

Used to just find this in Hawaii visiting the wife's family but now this stuff seems ubiquitous, at least on the West Coast.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a medium amber. Decent top. Aroma is low -- "muted" used below is a good word. Just a little citrus. It has a decent start -- good representation of the style. The end is what's interesting. It has a lingering earth bitterness to it that's very interesting. Medium-bodied.

2.86/5  rDev -21%

Not bad, but not my favorite APA. And I really like APAs. Maybe my favorite. But I'd much prefer Sierra Nevada, deschutes or sweetwaters APA to this. It seemed to be lacking something. Or maybe it's that it was too malty. I'm too much of a green horn to know for sure.

4.26/5  rDev +17.7%

I first tried this beer in Hawaii so it has a special significance. Every time I drink it it takes me back.

Look: Poured a hazy amber honey color with a off-white light caramel colored head. I held it up to the light and it had glorious sunset orange hues with a solid gold core. It left thin lacing on the glass.

Smell: At first caramely and biscuity but then comes a rush of floral, grassy, and peppery hues from the hops which include the high-alpha classic Galena.

Taste: Bitter right upfront with grapefruit rind, lemon, white pepper, and herbs leading to a subtle malty swell of toasted biscuits and honey. There is a peculiar buttery quality throughout.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly crisp, and moist upfront. The finish is oily with a lingering bitterness but it is dry on the back of the palate.

Overall: Delicious, complex, satisfying, rich, and well brewed. It has the robust character of a full blown IPA but the crisp drinkability and quaffable characteristics of a Pale Ale. Definitely give this Hawaiian style beauty a try.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

This beer poured a pretty nice amber color with about a one finger head. The foam disappated fairly quickly, but left plenty of lace on the sides of the glass. The beer was nice and clear with plenty of carbonation showing in the glass.

This APA is a little bit heavier on the malt than the others that I have had. The beer is a medium body beer that does not have a trace of hops or bitterness. There is a good hint of caramel in the taste of this beer and you get the same caramel in the aroma.

This is a pretty good APA. I really like how it is a little bit heavier on the malt than other APAs. This set its a little bit apart from others.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

A nice copper color, looks very enticing, but almost no head on the bottle I had.

Smell is really nice, fruity and a little sour.

Taste is quite sweet and malty, with a very fruity taste; there's definitely a hop presence, although somewhat subtle. The bitterness is subdued but pretty good in tone, and I think the hops lend to the fruitiness (it reminds me somewhat of Anchor brews in that respect). A slight mineral/metallic taste. While not a hop monster, it has what I think is a decent balance. Hmm, fruity!

Mouthfeel is thick, maybe a bit too thick (as someone noted, "syrupy" may be a good description), but it's pretty drinkable nonetheless.

Maybe not a prize-winner, but quite tasty and very easy to drink. Did I mention it was fruity?

[Somehow this strikes me as being halfway between American and British pale-ale tastes...]

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

this beer is you pretty average pale ale, it had good body to it. It was a little dry and bitter tasting but overall this was not a bad choice. It had good color to it with about a fingers worth of white head and alright lacing. This is one that im glad i tried but there are other that i would prefer over this beer

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a nice amber with white head. Smells very citrusy and a lot of hop in the nose. The tase has the same. Tons of citrus and plenty of hops to go around. This is a very well rounded beer. Its my first kona and I will be back for more for sure. So there you have it.

3.57/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle into a pint glass.

A- Deep amber, deeper and not as clear as I expected. A half inch of head that dissipated quickly and leave little lacing.

S- Biscuity roasted malts, balanced out by floral hops. Again, not what I expected.

T- Again, biscuity roasted malts with a slight sweetness. Balanced by floral, herbal hops but not much bitterness. Clean finish with a slight dryness.

M- Medium bodied with nice lifting carbonation.

O- A pleasant departure from typical pale ale. Could maybe use a little more bitterness; but it's clean, refreshing and sessionable. I reckon it'd make a good palate cleanser. If I ever am fortunate enough to find my self in Hawaii I know one beer I'll order with dinner.

3.76/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle marked September 14, 2015. Pours a beautiful cloudy orange with a little bit of head. Smells of hops and citrus. Smooth feel with some hop bitterness at the end. Very nice. Probably would have pegged this as an IPA if I'd tasted blind, but apparently they're calling it a pale ale.

3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

I had this beer with some nice fried chicken. It poured a nice amber color with a light lace. It has a light sweet hops smell. The taste is sweet with a little bit of bitterness. It has nice hops spiciness and a sweet finish. The feel is clean and refreshing with a crisp finish. This is a great beer for a hot summer evening. Clean and light with a good flavor.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a nice, slightly cloudy copper, head dissipates somewhat quickly.

S: Slight hops with bready malts, a bit fruity with some caramel.

T: Bready/caramel malt debuts first but is quickly pushed aside by a nice wave of citric and somewhat tropical hops. Ends with a nice balance and a slightly toasted character.

M: Light bodied and crisp. Very refreshing and drinkable. Without even realizing it i threw this down pretty quick.

Overall: Very enjoyable. An excellent session beer and great for warm weather.

3.54/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Very red for a pale ale. Light copper colored with an impressive white head. Long retention and good-looking lacing as the foam ever-so-slowly subsides. It smells a bit malty, and pretty weak. Perhaps I've poured it too cold, but I can hardly make out any real scent. Taste is upper malty for an APA; some roasted malts mix in to the caramel and pale malt foundation. Raisins, dark brown sugar, and some grassy hops make this worth drinking. There is a little bit of hay flavor as well.

Fir Rock Pale Ale is more of an amber if you ask me. But I won't judge based on that; it's a good beer. It is interesting and something different - "Hawaiian-Style" I suppose. I can appreciate a beer that breaks from the norms and even the definition of such a broad style. Notes that bring to mind sweet oatmeal with raisins are balanced out by just the right amount of hops. This is far less bitter, or refreshing, than your typical SNPA model.

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

Light amber color, lots of bubbles, 2-finger creamy white head.
Surprised by the bready aroma with a light hop background.
Enjoyable hop tang right off the bat with a smooth malty follow through.
Thin mouthfeel with a slight lingering hop flavor.
Very smooth & drinkable. I can definitely see knocking a few of these down on a beach in Hawaii.
Enjoyable beer but not in the same class as the elite pale ales in my opinion.
The Kona beers seems to have a unique flavor and I'm not sure what it is, but I like it.

4.26/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours more of an amber-orange, with a flaccid, white bubbly head that recedes rapidly. Nice color though. Aroma is tangy/piney hops up front with a thick, bready backbone. The taste is well rounded, with toasty sweet malts dominating before a dry and citrusy hop finish. The mouthfeel is good and chewy with a slight oily texture that makes it a winner with spicy meals. Drinkability is absoutely tops. I could drink this all day...a new fave. This drinks a bit more like an amber than a pale, but I really like the sweet smoothness and balance.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, bottle date 4/23/09

A: Deep orange, immediately reminiscent of Anchor's Liberty Ale, but with almost no head retention.

S: A little floral hops and a pretty biscuitty nose. Yet, strangely weak, for the style.

T: An initial hoppy bitterness with that same bready yeastiness to the taste. The malts have a little bit of roast to them, almost as if this was just adding hops to an amber ale recipe. Slight astringency reminds me of some of my earlier homebrews gives me the feeling that the malts were slightly scorched in the boil.

M: Decent carbonation, light to medium body, but a rather noticable yeasty aftertaste that I'd expect to find more in a beligian ale than in the APA style.

D: Less drinkable than I'd hoped, I'm left slightly confused by this beer. It seemingly strays from the American Pale Ale malt profile, but is moderately enjoyable nonetheless.

Mild recommendation.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

Served from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass:

A - Carmel colored, with a slight head.

S - Notes of citrus smells in the hops, sweet malty scents as well.

T - Hoppy up front that fades fast into sweeter malty tastes. Well balanced.

M - Medium bodied, slight carbonation.

D - Not a bad session beer, I enjoyed it.

3.51/5  rDev -3%

I tried this at the 2009 Food & Wine Festival at Walt Disney Worlds EPCOT Theme Park. I was excited to find some beers that I had not tried before. I found this to be a bit fruity and piney from the taste I had at EPCOT and immediately picked up a 6 pack upon returning home.

Well - first of all, that citrus bite seems to be gone from what I remember. A little more malty , with a little bitterness from the hops at the end, but not a dry finish

Appearance - Amber colored, with a nice two finger head and good lacing around the glass.

Smell - A bit of a fruity aroma can be found, but not a strong aroma

Taste - Malts seem to hit me first, then more of the citrus quality comes up with a bite from the hops at the end

Mouthfeel - good solid mouthfeel from this beer, it is by no means heavy.

Drinkability - I have 5 more, and see no problem putting these away. I would have liked more hop bite in this beer, and for some reason dont get that citrus flavor I remember from my first try. After getting through the 6 pack, that citrus flavor appeared more than I thought on my first try. A decent beer

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

Had this beer on tap in Kauai a few times and I was very impressed.

Nice looking beer - a bit hazy with a bright copper color.

Aroma is earthy. Perfect American Pale Ale aroma. Balanced and not shy with the hops.

Tastes surprisingly spicy. Whatever hops they use are really shining through and complimenting the sweet, bready, light malt perfectly. The citrus is there from the hops, but the grassier notes are dominating. A bit drier than most APAs, which is nice.

Mouth feel is grainy and prickly, with the heat from the spicy hops coming through from front to back.

This beer has a lot of big flavor and is somewhat "filling," so the drinkability will suffer slightly. But I would drink it all day.

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler glass.

A: Pours a coppery orange liquid with a thin white head that reduces quickly to a ring. Very little lacing.

S: Malt, caramel, faint hops.

T: Malty on the front with a quick citrusy hop punch that disappears as quickly as it presents itself. Bitter finish.

M: A tad slick or oily IMO. Decent carbonation.

D: Very drinkale Pale Ale. Not the best for the style, but definitely worth a try.

3.33/5  rDev -8%

Pours very clear and copper colored. Small off-white head faded, but carbonation kept a lace of foam going steady. Aroma's of malt and hops. Hops jump out front in the taste, but this is a fairly malty beer. Nice american pale (more like amber) ale.

Fire Rock Pale Ale from Kona Brewing Co.