Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Koko Brown | Kona Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Koko BrownKoko Brown

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States | website

Style: American Brown Ale

Koko Brown's distinctive, nutty aroma and flavor comes from real, toasted coconut blended into each brew. One sip of this smooth, mahogany colored ale and you'll feel like you're on a warm, sun drenched beach in Hawaii. Crack one open!

Added by julian on 02-19-2011

Reviews: 327 | Ratings: 1,406
3.54/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle into a pint glass

Pours a orange-copper color with a 3/4" off white head.

The coconut smell hits the nose right away. Just what I was hoping for. The taste, however, leaves a little to be desired. A typical brown ale for the most part, with a slight coconut flavor in the aftertaste/swallow.

A silky mouthful (more like a milk stout), this is a very smooth drink. I would have liked a little more of a bite to it. The coconut aftertaste was good, but would have liked a little more on the front end.

I would have another, if offered.

3.42/5  rDev -5.5%

The basics: 5.5% ABV and super cheap for a sixer...

Actually it pours exactly what I would call a Koko Brown in color...Very clear...Very light carbonation...Thin ring of foam and no real lacing. A bit "mehh" at first glance...

The aroma is super cool. It's kind of like an Almond Joy candy bar, but a subtle version of it. There's a slight hop component, but it's faint. I also get a touch of cinnamon. Pretty cool but not very complex.

Flavor is very similar to the aroma - kind of like drinking an Almond Joy...The initial burst of flavor seems sweet, but it's not. I also get a macadamia nut type flavor in the late middle and finish...Finish has an off bitterness which I can only attribute to the hops that MIGHT be present, but I can't be sure. The main fighter in this match is coconut and chocolate, as the name implies. It delivers exactly what it says it will, but it's otherwise uneventful.

What I like most: The interesting Almond Joy notes in the flavor and nose.

What I like least: The rather pedestrian beer that backs it all up.

Verdict: Worth the price, and that's to say it's cheap.

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served in the bar at the Polynesian resort in WDW. Pours dark chocolate brown in glass. Little head retention and minimal lacing.

Lots of toasted malt and coconut in aroma.

Taste is toasted malt, nuts and coconut. Coconut flavor is present throughout. Mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied.

Overall this was good. Enjoyed the coconut very much.

OK, got duped by the bottle. Guys tricked me into buying a sixer beacuse from what I thought, i was getting a nice brown ale with a hint of coconut wafting in from the Hawaii shores...not so much. Way to much coconut on this, completely over-powers the beer, but then again, that is good, because as the coconut fades, the cardboardy beer comes through. I was hoping for something else, oh well..this will get a ton of sales from soccer-moms in the mid-west that just got back from a family hawaiian trip however, so they get the last laugh.

Amber color, no head. Has a sweet vanilla and coconut aroma and flavor. Body is a bit on the sickly sweet side, but the carbonation cuts that away in the finish. Has a creamy, medium-body feel. I’m glad I tried it, but I don’t think I’d go out of my way to get another.

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

EDIT 2/24/2011. Additional tasting, to check for carbonation difference due to bottle conditioning...see below.

Bought a 6 pack tonight. First review!

A: Dark brown in color, good clarity, about 75% opacity. Lackluster head formation that quickly dissipates. Pours a little thin, almost watery.

S: Lots of sweet coconut on the nose, vanilla, subtle roasty, nutty aroma. Mostly coconut.

T: Lots of sweet coconut up front, almost vanilla like undertones. Mild nutty flavors, and subtle roast. I'd have to say this is an average coconut ale.

M: This is very clearly under-carbonated. I doubt a brown ale should be bottle conditioned for any length of time, so this is a most probably a priming miscalculation. I would prefer it a bit thicker in body, and more roasty but this is a good attempt at a coconut beer. EDIT 2/24/2011: gonna have to give this a few extra points. Tonight's tasting was definitely much more carbonated. So something either happened to the bottle I had, or there's some bottle conditioning going on.

D: Apart from the under-carbonation noted above, I love the coconut taste (as I do in most coconut beers...and coconut in general). Wouldn't be too hard to sling back a 6er.

3.06/5  rDev -15.5%

Bottle poured in a pint glass. Smell is pleasant enough a little malty sweetness and some toasted notes, no discernable coconut however. Mouthfeel comes up short very thin feeling, makes me go back for another sip but has me looking for something more. Taste is nice, sweet malt is back again along with the toast, after really trying I get the coconut but it doesnt stand out at all. A decent brown ale but nothing special and if I didnt say coconut I probably would never have known.

3.92/5  rDev +8.3%

Somehow manages to be both dry and sweet, which is kind of neat. That reminded me of cocoa powder but it's more of a caramel sweetness. It was sort of like I was drinking two different things at once. Very enjoyable.

Update: Now I've had one out of the bottle and it's not the same. It's still pleasant and I enjoyed it but on tap the flavors were so much fuller and richer. Leaving the scoring as the draught scoring.

3.33/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Taste: toasted coconut sweet malt, roasted coffee, brown sugar. Deep mahogany color and mostly clear. Sweet nose. Medium body with a delicate laced head. A dessert ale

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

Reviewed from notes.

Served in a weizen glass.

It's chocolate brown with a tan head that lasts all the way to the bottom.

Very sweet coconutty smell, almost like a candy.

This beer tastes like suntan lotion. The coconut seems artificial and is overpowering. It was more htan I expected and found it to be too much by the time I got to the bottom of my glass.

It's a creamy beer with a nice amount of bubbles.

This was my last beer on my vacation. I was sad to be heading back to Missouri. My wife and I had these at the Kona Grill in the Honolulu airport.

3.91/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I really, really want to like these Kona Beers, but something just keeps holding me back. Of all the Kona's I have had, this one is by far the best. The Koko Brown has a rich brown color with a frothy head that has staying power. The scent and taste is definitely strong in the roasted area and distant with regards to coconut - almost a good blend. The mouthfeel is bold and thick, complementing the full ale flavor. However, overall, I had to be honest with myself and grade them almost outstanding - close, but just no cigar.

3.26/5  rDev -9.9%

12oz bottle. Bottled on the 15 March 2012.

A - Brown reddish color. Small head with low retention and limited lacing on the glass.

S - Roasted coconut, malty, a bit spicy, and some gentle hop in the back.

T - At first, taste is dominated by coconut and malt. Hop progressively shows up to finish on a gentle alcohol warming touch.

M - Good carbonation. Medium body. Quite smooth on the palate.

O - Aromas and flavors are mild, but too discrete to my taste. Though, it's an unusual and pleasant beer!

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Off white head that lingers. Appears reddish brown. Aroma is light but very pleasant of toasted coconut. Taste of vanilla and light toasted coconut with light body. Caramel notes emerge as it warms. Fantastic concept but I wish there was more body or sweetness to enhance the coconut flavor.

1.93/5  rDev -46.7%

I read the name koko brown and stupidly didn't think of coconut and bought one when i hate coconut so naturally I didn't like this beer. If you do like coconut then i'm sure you'd enjoy this beer.

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a clear brown color, head faded fast but left some lacing on my glass.

Has a sweet coconut smell.

As expected, it has coconut flavor. It is sweet, but the coconut is not overpowering.
It has a buttery mouthfeel, and finishes with a slight bitterness.

It is a nice beer, the coconut flavors make it different. I think it is worth checking out, but not something I would want to drink on a regular basis.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a dark brown color with a nice 2 finger cream colored head that leaves a decent lacing in a 16oz pub glass.

Smell is really nice. Malts, as you would expect of a beer so dark. I can barely make out the roasted coconut that the bottle seems to be so proud of.

Taste is of malts with that slight taste of coconut right at the end. Second taste really gets that coconut taste.

Mouthfeel is alright. Nothing exciting and not much carbonation.

Overall a great beer in my opinion. I really like the maltiness of this beer and the coconut taste is wonderful. I would like more of the coconut taste to come out but still, this is a great tasting beer.

2.48/5  rDev -31.5%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Bottled on April 3rd.

A-Pours a brown orange color with hues of red. There was a tan head that dissipated within 2 minutes and left a little white ring around the edges. It eventually goes a flat.

S-Smelled nutty, sweet, and a hint of toasted coconut.

T-This beer tasted like someone dumped coconut tanning oil into it. The coconut taste, along with carbonated water, were really the only tastes I could sense. The aftertaste reminded me of what my mouth feels like after I vomit (not to be gross).

M-A little too heavy on the carbonation.

Overall-I will not drink this beer again. I love coconut, but not in my beer. The idea surrounding coconut in beer sounds interesting, but when it comes down to drinking it, I'll take another brown beer instead. Nice try.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - A nice brown color, with a decent head.

Smell - a sweet tropical and coconut.; with malty smell as well.

Taste - It is a bitter malty flavor, with a strong coconut flavor.

Mouthfeel - It is a bit light, good carbonation.

Overall - Pretty good, even though I don't like coconut.

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance: This beer pours a crystal clear deep garnet color and is topped with a ½” of off white head that leaves faster than it appeared.
Smell I was not expecting a typical brown ale when I got this beer and by the first whiff it doesn’t seem to be. I get coconut and some roasted notes not much else.
Taste: The taste is not something that I am really enjoying it just seems just a bit off. There isn’t much to the flavor as I would expect out of a brown, it is just kind of blah.
Mouthfeel: This appear to pour on the thin side and my palate agrees with the pour rather thin and weak.

3.57/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am not the biggest fan of brown's but the allure of coconut on a cold snowy night was too much so I grabbed a single and gave it a shot. Sleek deep chestnut appearance with about half inch of head which receded relatively quickly with minimal, spotty lacing. Aroma was all of the coconut I was looking for. Mouthfeel was a little thin but smooth with the moderate carbonation and the taste was a pleasant blend of brown ale nuttiness, coconut sweetness and a lightly bitter finish. Overall I would say its a pretty tasty beer. Was a great way to fill a craving but not necessarily something I would run out and buy otherwise.

3.87/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

bought this at Krogers - just because I liked the idea of coconut beer

a just a tad lighter than cola - about 1.5 fingers of head clear but dark

s
nondecript really - not much to the nose - just a bit of maltiness

t about the same - sorry but I dont discern and coconut at all. slightly sweet - no hopiness

m standard

d: in the oft repeated words of
RUFUS THE STUNT BUM:
" call that a beer? Id rather have another!"

4.11/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Overall, a pleasantly balanced beer. I was afraid that the coconut flavor would either be non-existent or over powering. It was neither. You get a pleasant hint of coconut that blends nicely with the overall nuttiness of the beer. It's especially nice to drink during the winter, dreaming of warmer, tropical days.

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a brown color with a very dark reddish hue. It has a medium sized brownish head that fades quickly and has minimal lacing.

S: The smell is mostly of strong coffee and coconut. There is also some hints of chocolate.

T: It tastes similar to how it smells consisting of coffee and coconuts. It leaves a nice coconut aftertaste.

M: It is kind of thin for a brown ale, but drinks very smoothly.

D: Overall this is a very enjoyable beer. It's a unique twist on the typical brown ale with the addition of the coconut. If you're looking for a typical brown, look elsewhere, but if you're looking for something new and unique, give this a shot. I'd definitely buy this again.

2.68/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle generously given to me by Spanial's Beer because they "appreciate my business". Very cool. Bottle poured into my Kona "Liquid Aloha" pint glass.

A: Pours a light shade of brown, surprisingly translucent, but with a big frothy off-white head on top. Large pancake batter bubbles throughout.

S: Muted notes of biscuits and overly-sweetened malts, with just a touch of coconut underneath. The coconut notes become more distinct as the beer warms.

T: Coconut is by far the most pronounced aspect of this beer. The malts underneath don't remind me of a "classic brown", either. Bready sweetness, almost cloying. No hint of roastiness. No "nutty" character. Just a malt sweetness that reminds me of "scotch ale", and lots and lots of fake, *extracty" coconut flavor.

M: Unremarkable. Rather watery. Low carbonation. Nothing much to discuss on the finish.

D/O: This beer lacks balance. I like coconut, but not like this. It's not horrible, but there's nothing about this that would make me want to revisit it. I could finish it if I wanted to, but I don't need the calories, so down the drain it goes.

4.29/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

what a great beer a little bit of aftertaste but it goes down smoothed this is mr beach beer sitting on the beach drinking this would be heaven i use to drink brown ales but never found one that hitthe spot but oh baby does this hit the spot so find your beach and drink

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.