Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Koko Brown | Kona Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Koko BrownKoko Brown

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States | website

Style: American Brown Ale

Koko Brown's distinctive, nutty aroma and flavor comes from real, toasted coconut blended into each brew. One sip of this smooth, mahogany colored ale and you'll feel like you're on a warm, sun drenched beach in Hawaii. Crack one open!

Added by julian on 02-19-2011

Reviews: 327 | Ratings: 1,406
2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into NB Globe.

This beer pours with a relatively thin off-white head. Translucent, deep brown in color.

Smells include light nuttiness, general syrupy sweetness and maybe a hint of coconut.

Taste is underwhelming; toasted malts, light grains, some sweet coconut essence. Tastes to me like a weak brown ale, nothing really standing out.

Highly carbonated and thin. Not mellow or smooth as one would hope to get from a brown ale.

The thought of coconut in a beer was very enticing but overall pretty disappointing effort. Won't buy again.

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

Smells about like a typical brown ale. I get yeast and a bit of mild malt, but no coconuts.

Dark ruby appearance, clean and clear.

Not really any coconut on the tongue, either. It just tastes like a brown ale. There is a presence of toasted malts, but thankfully not burned malt. Hops are lightly present, more so in the after taste.

Typical mouthfeel, about like a Newcastle.

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

Appearance: Dark Brown with out the blackness raining in. There is a copper tingle running through this beer.

Smell: Littlw on the low side of things. It is fine just not that powerful.

Taste: I was blown away by the taste of this beer. It was powerful but wonderful. It rolled through the mouth with a wonderful chocolate flavor mixed with carmel. I love this beers flavor.

Mouthfeel: Little to much carbonization.

Give it a try. You will enjoy...

Presentation: Very eye-catching label with awesome graphics, color scheme, and font that gives a real tropical island feel. Label gives a small description of the beer, web info, a bit of brewery info, states “Aloha Series”, and bottled on date 3/12/2013. Neck label gives a description of the beer, backstory on the brewery, and states “ Aloha Series”.

Appearance: Allowed to warm for 10min before aggressively poured from its 12oz brown bottle into a 16oz nonic pint led to a 3 finger light tan head of a light airy density that was the very rocky and resting atop a slightly chill hazed chestnut brown beer. Head retention was 3min 16sec before fading to a thick rocky rink and coating with excellent lacing.

Smell/Aroma: Smells of nutty maltiness with hints of milk chocolate sweetness and a toasty coconut aroma with hints of caramel.

Flavor/Taste: Taste is of roast nutty malts along with a toasted coconut flavor on the front-end. Milk chocolate, caramel, and toasty coconut dominate midpoint before turning to a toasted coconut finish and roasty aftertaste. The coconut comes out as this warms.

MouthFeel/Drinkability: Medium bodied with a slightly creamy mouthfeel and a low carbonation. Very drinkable and tasty.

Overall/Comments: A very good brown ale that is very drinkable with a tasty flavor profile that is worth a try. I would def drink again but wouldn't seek out and buy this. Classified as an American Brown Ale @ 5.5%. Consumed 9/8/2013.

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Remarkable color and clarity. Transluscent light brown with a tinge of red. Small white head that dissipates quickly and leaves behind a bit of lacing.

Aroma is weak. Should be fruitier and maltier with more toasted coconut presence. Smells like Sam Adams Irish Red... bready, light caramel, old crystal malt.

Flavor is much better than the aroma. Nice and smooth. Not overbearing with the coconut. Just the mildest notes remain. Easy drinking with a good balance of bitterness. I could drink a few of these at a party. It is rather balanced with not too much sugar and therefore it doesn't give me a headache.

The mouthfeel is thin and lackluster. With better aroma and mouthfeel, this would be a very solid coconut beer.

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

12oz bottle from a 6-pack. Bought it since Kona's Pipeline porter is so good and it is out of season.

Filtered, dark with a tall head poured vigorously in a goblet. medium sized bubbles.

smell is dark and roasty,to match a good brown or even a dry porter. I feel like I can smell a little coconut, but only since I am looking for it.

Taste is a little odd, it dries up on the tongue quickly to a flat earthy flavor, after that you have a pleasant roast. Initial taste of each sip has a pronounced sweet coconutiness, but the transition from that flavor to the darker flavors isn't smooth. The main flavor is a little "dirty" not clean, and it just isn't quite right.

mouthfeel is a little too dry actually, and I like don't like sweet beers. Drinkability is pretty high, but overall preference for this beer is low. I won't be buying this again, but I still look forward to Pipeline Season again!

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Pour: Clear, dark reddish-brown color. Two fingers of off-white head that had average retention and some nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Coconut is the forerunner of the aroma. Supported by a bit of roasted malt and coffee. Rather interesting.

Taste: Once again, the coconut is very much the star of the taste, though it doesn't dominate everything. Tied together by some molasses/caramel in the front, a nutty quality in the middle, and a coffee-like back end. Quite good, I think.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but a little overcarbonated I think. Makes for a rather prickly feeling on the tongue.

Drinkability/Overall: Drinks like a fizzy soda due to the carbonation. Good flavors, and very sessionable. Not too filling.

Final Notes: A rather interesting experiment by Kona, but it paid off. This Brown Ale is both interesting and unique, and tastes great. The coconut adds a little something special, I think, and would serve to make it a great semi-sweet beer to pair with some dessert. I dig it.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

I don't know. On the one hand, this isn't a bad beer. On the other, I don't quite get that coconut island taste.

Its definitely a brown ale though. Good nutty characteristic, sweet malt and a creamy taste. The flavors are solid, if a little lacking.

I was really expecting that coconut flavor here. I mean...I don't know if I should've gotten the oddest note of chocolate out of the flavors.

Taken on its own, its fine enough. Just don't expect anything too special and its a decent brown ale from Kona Brewing. If you're looking for a brown ale thats promising an extra bit of flavor, compare this to Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Ale and you'll see why I'm kinda disappointed here.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep brown in color. Really small head - less than one finger - that dissipated a little too quickly. Almost no lacing. Kind of disappointing, really.

S: Toasty nut aroma. You can easily pick up hints of coconut. I wasn't getting coconut per say, but my friends I was drinking with were raving about the strong coconut scent. Maybe I just don't know what coconut tastes like, but I wasn't getting much coconut.

T: Hmm. Trying to figure this one out. Again, I get a roasted nut flavor, but not necessarily coconut. You get a huge malt profile. Not necessarily complex. Very rich, robust toffee flavor, but that's really the overpowering flavor in this brew, to me anyways. Not very bitter at all, but at 28 IBUs I wouldn't expect that. Completely different from the beers I'm used to drinking.

M: Very crisp on the mouth. Not too dry. Most of the time when I think of browns or darker, heavier beers, I get the feeling of the beer blanketing my tongue. Not the case here. Pretty smooth and easy drinking. Starts to coat the back of the mouth, but for most of the drink it goes right down.

Overall: Maybe it's because I'm still not the biggest brown ale fan, but this beer just wasn't my jam. I wouldn't say this is a bad beer, but it's not necessarily one I enjoy. Very very malty. I'm really trying to expand my beer repertoire and want to start drinking things other than APAs and IPAs and start appreciating browns, stouts, and porters. This wasn't too daunting to me. I honestly think I just have to get used to not being assaulted by hops with each drop. I don't think that would really change my opinion of the beer, though. I don't want to say it's a bad beer, because it's not. This is one of the few browns/darker I've been able to finish. I just don't think I'm fully able to appreciate this beer yet. Hopefully one day I'll be able to really appreciate browns and darker.

Poured this into my snifter because my pint glass was no where to be found :(

3.87/5  rDev +6.9%

12oz bottle with bottle date 3/18/11, poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/8/11

A: Pours a deep, dark brown with a thin head that quickly dissipates into a thin film on top of the beer.

S: Big coconut aroma, some nuttiness, possibly almonds as well. The strength of the coconut smell overpowers any malt or hop aromas.

T: Coconut and almond dominate the taste of this one, a touch of toasty malt, some hop bitterness and a bit of chocolate combine wonderfully. You can taste the coconut as soon as this hits your lips but really lingers in your mouth for quite a while after swallowing.

M: Medium-thin bodied with good carbonation, smooth with a nice hop bite to even things out.

O: I think Kona really achieved what they were going for with this one, the coconut flavor and aroma are both quite bold but don't completely overpower the beer, tasty stuff.

12oz. bottle into mug.

A: Dark brown with a minimal head, resulting from an overly gentle pour. There's some good lace on the top, though.

S: Sweet chocolate, toasted coconut, pastry.

T/M: Sweet, nutty, toasty. Coconut is strong in the finish, while the front is sweet and chocolatey. No bitterness. Mouthfeel is fairly heavy, which is not surprising for how sweet it is. Tastes like a cake.

Overall: I like it, but it also doesn't resemble any other brown ale I've had. I can see how typical brown ale flavors play off and are enhanced by the coconut. I think the brewers could cut back on the sweetness, though.

4.19/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

For what it is, this is a tastey ale. Dark caramel with hints of coconut. A real winter warmer with liquid aloha island freshness. Bottled on DEC 23 2015 from Naples bottle shop.

4.15/5  rDev +14.6%

A great looking chestnut brown with a beige foamy head. The scent of toasted coconut really comes through and there is a slight boozyness in the background. There is alot of cocnut here, maybe more than I would like. Its a bit sweet but there is enough other stuff going on to keep you interested. It has a light body and retained a fair amount of chunky lacing. This is a good picnic beer or a beer for those that dont like beer? An interesting brew and one that should be tried, especially for desert with maybe some fried bananas and vanilla ice cream.

3.91/5  rDev +8%

Pours a slightly amber, Newcastle-ish brown with a white-tan, half finger thick head. Lacing is high and persistent. Nose definitely puts across the promised coconut, along with some biscuity malt and dry hop characteristics. The overall impression is almost a faint toffee. Taste is to the malty side for an ale, the toasted coconut coming through rather subtly-sweet (although I see how it could get cloying for some people). Finish is surprisingly crisp, with something almost like maple syrup left on the tongue.

Maybe it's because I warmed up with a few Magic Hat #9's, but I found this beer surprisingly good. Good spring pick, and I'd definitely buy it again to share.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

Tried on draft at KBC at the Honolulu airport. A very nice light brown pour with a generous 2 finger white head. Decent spotting and lacing throughout. Smell is toasted coconut, nuts and some fruits. Taste follows the nose, but thankfully it's not a coconut bomb. It actually accents the beer nicely and I'm not a huge coconut fan. Definately a unique spin on the style and I enjoyed the effort. This has been my favorite offering from Kona. Fruits and nuts blend into the taste well. Pretty complex which was a surprise. Feel is medium with good carbonation. Like my brown with a bit more body, but it's adequate. Overall- A good effort with a unique spin on the style, more of a sessionable brown. It works for me and will try out of the bottle back home-

3.92/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance-a deep brown with a light khaki head 1 finger of foam that leaves a thin cap on the beer

Aroma- chocolate and coconut some yeasty sourness

Taste- nutty with tastes of raisins toasted almonds and of course coconut. LIke a toasted macaroon actually I haven't tasted side by side but it may give that maui brewing coconut beer a run for its money. hops balance out and give you a bit of a poke at the end but the whole thing cleans up pretty well on the pallete.

Mouthfeel- medium bodied theres a lip smacking maltyness but it is not overly sweet or syrupy.

Overall- there may be some biased here but i visited Kona Brew Co on my honeymoon. Great beers. I especially like this one!

3.19/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Koko Brown is one of the first beers I ever tasted.
Time to revisit and review.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a medium mahogany brown. Clear as can be. Head settles and is all but gone.
Smells faintly of coconut, but little else. A little sweet Twinkie cake aroma.
There is a Twinkie cake sweet taste that doesn't last, followed by toasty nuttiness. A toasty taste lingers and some alcohol shows up at the end. A coconut taste comes and goes, but is subtle.
A light, thin body with some carbonation bite.

Overall a fun easy drink, but it lacks the complexity and body to be a stand out.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a clear brown-copper with a large off-white head. The aroma is coconut oil/suntan lotion and ocean. My first few whiffs took me to the beach in Hawaii! The taste is all toasted coconut. A lovely little coconut beer as a diversion - not sure I'd want more than one or two.

4.01/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This one is deep dark brown but super clear for the style. Smells like toasted coconut, blackstrap molasses, and sweet, nutty malts. The taste does bring a slight pine and resinous hop flavor to balance the roast and caramel malts. The coconut seems almost burnt in the mouth, which is pleasant, surprisingly. The mouthfeel is far less full than the typical brown ale. There is a distinct flavor that I have trouble pinpointing.

After about eight of the twelve ounces poured from this bottle have been consumed, I finally got it. It smells like whiskey! Jack Daniels and brown sugar. This is not a note that I have before experienced in a brown ale, but it works in this one. Whiskey and toasted kokonut make this a unique brew--and unlike many sweet ales it tastes as if it is stronger rather than weaker than the actual alcohol content. It tastes like hard alcohol--whiskey--but instead it's only...wait it does not say what percent on the bottle. BeerAdvocate says it's 5.5% but the spot on the bottle where the ABV was listed on other Kona brews is just empty space on the Koko Brown label. I guess I should be ready if I start feeling hammered, since it did taste just like JD.

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Pours a clear mahogany with reddish highlights. A finger of off white head quickly dissipates leaving only some trace foam on top.

S: Lovely aromas of toasted coconut sweet maltiness. Not overly complex, but good.

T: Toasted coconut with sweet malt character dominates the beginning of the flavor, and then fades to sweet toffee notes at the end.

M: Somewhat thin, but not so much that it negatively affects the flavor. It probably makes the beer a bit more quaffable than a heavier mouthfeel would have.

O: A pretty decent beer with some interesting flavors. This would probably go great with some roasted meat or chocolate desserts.

2.56/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured from the botlle into Sam Adams sensory pint glass.

A: Looks appealing nice saopy looking two fingers width head that sits atop a cherry mahogany colored brew, plenty of bubble scoming up looks nicely carbonated.

S: slightly pedestrian smell with musty graininess forefront with a slight malt sweetness and although the coconut was apparent when first poured it seems to have faded into oblivion by the second sip.

T: Although i had hopes that the coconut would provide this beer with a more tropical feel the coconut in my opinion leans the flavoring towards more of a burnt toast than a tropical beer.

M: Medium bodied and carbonated nicely.

O: The slight coconut taste in the beginning is what made this beer average when it faded after the second to third sip there was nothing that made this standout. I would not pass one down if offered (i guess) but i will certainly not seek out another. Another novelty flavored brew to check off my list and now to avoid..

Prost!!!

3.01/5  rDev -16.9%

A fair porter. The toasted coconut flavor is quite nice, but the general maltiness I've enjoyed in better brown ales is missing. Also slightly thin, a little dry, leaves an uncomfortable film on the mouth. It's fine, but nothing I would drink repeatedly.

4.09/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - nice dark brown cola like color. Bubbly head that lasted for a short while.

Smell - the roasty toasty of the beer is the most prevalent scent here. Smells really good actually. A great cool weather beer.

Taste - I actually really like this beer. It is unlike anything I have ever had before. I can really taste the toasted coconut.

Mouthfeel - good

Overall - greater I am going to have again.

3.36/5  rDev -7.2%

Thanks to the roommate for picking this one up. Don't know where she got it, but I guess it doens't really matter. Part of the Aloha Series.

A: A very dark brown, but you can still see through it. Minimal carbonation bubbles, and very little, to no lacing.

S: On the first smell, I couldn't pick up any aroma, but after a second smell, I got a face full of coconut. Very nice chocolate aroma as well.

T: Right away, you can get a taste of some dried coconut. It was very exotic, especially for a Hawaiian brewery. The aftertaste also had an explosion of coconut. The brewers knew what they were aiming for when they made this.

M: Just like the mint flavored beer I had a few weeks ago, it took me a bit to enjoy how this beer felt in my mouth. The flavor really catches you off guard at first, especially if you've never had coconut flavor in your beer. Nice medium body that went down pretty nice and easy.

D: Probably won't try this one again. Not a bad beer by any means. I don't really like fruity beers. But since this one is a nice brown ale, i'll let it slide.

2.52/5  rDev -30.4%

There's something about coconut that sings out to me, even if it is on the label of an unwarranted bottling by a relatively unknown brewing company. It's the mystery of the fruit, like a hidden jewel of milk and flesh hanging out of reach to those without either ape-like strength or a raging fire of human ingenuity.

I take mine in a glass.

Pours a disappointing absence of a head and... well...

It seems the conventions of beer have been all but burned at the stake in the making of this "brown ale." The coconut flavor is way over the top me. It smells okay, and even the aftertaste ain't bad, but drinking the thing provides the inescapable sensation of a lab-made flavor topped with Sweet 'n Low. Unfortunately reminiscent of the mask disguising your childhood antibiotics, this beer will be a drain pour for many.

As someone who will eat an entire coconut raw in minutes milk included, perhaps I set the standard too high. From what I remember though, Pipeline Porter doesn't bash you over the head with aggrandized "coffee" flavor, which is entirely the problem here. Ease off on the sweetness, let the malts take center stage, and retune the coconut and we'd have a desirable brown ale. As of now, it's a no go. Sorry.

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.