Koko Brown | Kona Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Koko BrownKoko Brown

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
konabrewingco.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Koko Brown's distinctive, nutty aroma and flavor comes from real, toasted coconut blended into each brew. One sip of this smooth, mahogany colored ale and you'll feel like you're on a warm, sun drenched beach in Hawaii. Crack one open!

Added by julian on 02-19-2011

Reviews: 336 | Ratings: 1,449
3.8/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle.

Golden maple syrup brown. Clear. Small, wispy, light beige head. Not much lacing. Toffee, brown sugar, figs, and toasted coconut on the nose. Not bad--definitely plays up the whole coconut thing.

Toasted malt. A little nutty. Toffee and dark fruit sweetness fill in. Nutty, toasted coconut flavor develops and gets pretty strong toward the finish. Hints of vanilla and licorice. Lingering coconut and toffee sweetness in the finish. Medium to moderate body with a somewhat slick feel. Not bad, but not one I would want more than one of in a sitting.

3.24/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Beautiful amber color and semi-transparent. Cream colored head is thick on the pour and retains well. Good lacing.

Tangy tropical plants, grass and wheat toast in the aroma.

Wheat flavor. Coconut. Mild toast character. Hops are grassy and leafy. Has a sour off taste.

Medium bodied. Grainy texture. Dry finish. Solid carbonation.

Eh. Not the best brown ale out there. I appreciate the creativity but this one was a flop in my opinion.

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours a clear, deep amber medium brown color with ruby highlights when held up to the light. The slightly off white head is about a inch thick when first poured before eventually settling to a big tick ring lining the inside of the glass and nice swirls of foam on the beer's surface. Pretty decent lacing. Aromas of caramel and molasses malts along with nice hints of coconut, chocolate, and nut. Flavor wise it has a nice sweet caramel and molasses malt sweetness upfront followed by the aforementioned hints of coconut, chocolate, and nut. The slight taste of oak is also present, and it is all rounded out with a slight hop presence of the back of the tongue. Very nice blending of all the various flavors going on here. Has a crisp, smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation and a nice clean finish. Easy to drink in the way a well crafted beer should be.

Eric

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: Dark amber/light brown, good head.

Smell: Sweet roast malt, coconut oil, vanilla.

Taste: Artificial vanilla, coconut come through strong. Mild roasted flavor and very light coffee. Kind of weird tasting.

Overall: Kona recently showed up in MN so I picked up a single of this. The coconut flavor does come through but there's an artificial vanilla flavor that just takes over too much of the palate. Having a little more roast or coffee base with the coconut could be very good. Just missed the mark here.

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured a light coppery brown, like a top shelf whiskey. Nice little cap of white foam that quickly dissipates save for a ring around the perimeter.

The smell was light notes of grain and toast and a good whiff of coconut.

Taste was excellent. The coconut was subtle, which is good because it could easily overpower a brew. Nice and smooth to drink, if a bit thin for the style. Great beer, easy to drink. Definitely worth repurchasing. Glad to see it finally available here, I'd been wanting to try this.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

(Served in an American pint glass)
A- This beer pours a slightly dense but clear brown body with a thin film of light tan that soon is gone and a gentle carbonation gliding to the surface.

S- The buttery coconut aroma has a syrup quality that grows as it opens. There is a mellow kona coffee brown malt aroma that grows just a bit as it warms.

T- The kona coffee note and buttery coconut is a bit artificial tasting and the soda pop finish has cola and brown malt flavors that are a bit sweet.

M- The light mouthfeel has a tight full soda pop fizz in the finish.

O- I was really looking forward to a good commercial coconut brown ale and this was not it. Lots of artificial flavors and more like a soda pop than a beer made it a bit hard to finish the bottle.

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Took a chance on this because I friggin love coconut.

Served in a Port City shaped glass.

A: Dark, dark reddish brown, with a sticky off-white head.

S: Definitely buttery coconut. Think coconut cream pie with WAAAAYY too much dairy.

T: OMG. This was totally not what I was expecting. Coconut Extractz R' Us. This sort of had a vomit aftertaste to it.

M: Carbonation was fine. Pretty thin stuff. Lots of lacing.

O: This was basically toasted coconut butter in a glass. If that's your thing, knock yourself out. I'm not a vegan, so I only sample the stuff from time to time.

4.01/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This one is deep dark brown but super clear for the style. Smells like toasted coconut, blackstrap molasses, and sweet, nutty malts. The taste does bring a slight pine and resinous hop flavor to balance the roast and caramel malts. The coconut seems almost burnt in the mouth, which is pleasant, surprisingly. The mouthfeel is far less full than the typical brown ale. There is a distinct flavor that I have trouble pinpointing.

After about eight of the twelve ounces poured from this bottle have been consumed, I finally got it. It smells like whiskey! Jack Daniels and brown sugar. This is not a note that I have before experienced in a brown ale, but it works in this one. Whiskey and toasted kokonut make this a unique brew--and unlike many sweet ales it tastes as if it is stronger rather than weaker than the actual alcohol content. It tastes like hard alcohol--whiskey--but instead it's only...wait it does not say what percent on the bottle. BeerAdvocate says it's 5.5% but the spot on the bottle where the ABV was listed on other Kona brews is just empty space on the Koko Brown label. I guess I should be ready if I start feeling hammered, since it did taste just like JD.

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Red-brown. Short lip of head. Some visible bubbles.

Toasted barley, toffee malts, whiff of coconut, and some sort of berry. A little oaky, a little chocolaty.

Toasted coconut, unsweetened chocolate, oakiness, toffee, roasted grains, and herbal hops. Nice cold spring day warmer.

Simple in body. Active carbonation. Dextrins present. Not burly, but a little chewy.

A solid brown ale with an island twist. Great toasty flavor.

2.99/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a standard pressure-cap bomber into a shaker pint glass in high elevation Libby, Mont. Reviewed live. Bottled Dec. 20, 2012.

A- Finger and a half thick off-white head. Auburn color body with high clarity. The retention is substantial, about five minutes and leaves thick white lacing. Looks pretty good.

S- Toffee, caramel malts and coconut. Sweet, chocolatey and warm. Not cloying. Pretty fair smelling brew.

T- Chocolate and coconut, like a Mounds bar. Sweet, perhaps too much so.

M- Feels thick on the tongue, but the body is light. It's odd.

O- I rather enjoyed this beer. It's maybe a bit too sweet and has sort of a strange, syrupy feel.

4.06/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked this up as part of a variety pack at F4L on sale for $13.

A- This beer pours a nice deep clear brown with a persistent tan 1" head with nice lacing down the glass.

S- Strong caramel malt with toasted coconut. I really didn't pick up much hops...

T- If you like toasted coconut - this is your beer! It has a delicious toasted coconut flavor with strong caramel malts.

M- This was a medium heavy beer with a very nice full mouth feel.

D- This beer was delicious ...but I LOVE coconut so... I found it to be somewhat on the sweeter side with nice malt and toasted coconut dominating. I honestly didn't find any hop bitterness, aroma, or flavor. But I don't care - I LOVE coconut!

I really enjoyed this beer and would get it separately or on tap. Yum! Desert beer!

4.09/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - nice dark brown cola like color. Bubbly head that lasted for a short while.

Smell - the roasty toasty of the beer is the most prevalent scent here. Smells really good actually. A great cool weather beer.

Taste - I actually really like this beer. It is unlike anything I have ever had before. I can really taste the toasted coconut.

Mouthfeel - good

Overall - greater I am going to have again.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Koko brown is a standard color for the style, pretty much a straight-up medium brown. It's crowned by a head that rises to very close to three fingers. It settles to a drinkable height but remains large; retention is excellent. The thick foam that remains leaves good patching on the glass as the beer falls.
The smell offers malts with both a bit of bread and some sweetness, though not as strongly as I'd expect. The coconut is implemented exactly as I would have hoped. Overall I'd expect just a little bit more strength. Otherwise, it integrates well, it's malt-forward with a gentle sweetness, the coconut has the strength I've want without overpowering everything else, and there's a nice nutty character coming out as well.
Moving into the flavor, it's easy to appreciate the balance in this beer and the fact that it isn't too sweet. Coconut is integrated as well as it could be: it offers plenty of its flavor without being too much. It's difficult to hit that place where it's not too subtle but not too overdone on the other hand. Koko Brown gets that.
While I think it might have slightly too much bite, it's a well-rounded mouthfeel with a good creaminess and ample carbonation is a body hefty enough to hold it together without being too thick or heavy.

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

What a nice surprise this beer is. I didn't expect much since I'm not a huge fan of coconut, but this was good.

The appearance is dark with amber reflextions, a thick light brown head that disappears in a few seconds.

The smell is nice but weak. The tastes is obviously sweet, with vanilla, chocolate and coconuts. But not too sweet, the malts compensate very well. After a couple of seconds the roasted coconuts overwhelm the other flavors (in a good way), leaving you craving for more.

Considering this is not a heavy beer, I finished the bottle way faster than usual.

Medium body and medium-high carbonation.

3.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a brilliantly clear copper color topped with a small, but sticky and lush looking head. Ample lacing. Rich coconut enveloping aromas of toasted malt, hazelnut, and a wee bit of chocolate. The toasted coconut, of course, continues into the flavor. Nutty caramel, mild cocoa, maple, and vanilla. Pretty good...crisp, drinkable, not too sweet, not too clean. I think I'd actually bring some along to the beach if it was available in the summer months.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Picked up the Aloha Series variety pack from Walmart of all places. Price was good, didnt realize it had a brown ale until I popped it open..I have been looking for a brown ale to replace the discontinued one at my bar I tend at.

light appearance, carmel color, light carbonation. appeares less than it is.

smell, same fairly light, carmel and coconut rule, but not bold or bursting

At first sip, I was like whoa that's pretty good. A light to medium body, not overwhelming in flavor (mostly coconut, maple, hazelnut and toffee/coffee but light) it sits fairly flat, but when you take a nice sip it opens up and is very creamy and burst in your mouth, and fully opens up washes down clean and refreshing, and leaves your mouth wet and ready for more. Not overly swee or filling and is very drinkable. I'll have another..

3.14/5  rDev -13.3%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear, but dark auburn with ruby hues shining through. There's a nice off-white head that sticks around and leaves really nice lacing. The aromas aren't impressive at all. It's not that it smells bad, it basically just smells like nothing. I'm picking up some caramel malts and subtle hints of maple and hazelnut. The coconut is noticable in the nose, but not really in the flavors. Tastes much better than it smells. More maple in the flavors. I'm picking up some hazelnut and expresso notes in the flavors as well. Mouthfeel is very nice, it's light, but creamy and smooth. This is a very easy drinking beer. Alcohol obviously goes unnoticed.

Kona just recently started distributing to Ohio, so I'm confused why we'd get bottles born in November 2012. I'm assuming this isn't the freshest, but it's still solid. The potential is there to be something unique for the style. I'd like to try this fresher because I'm assuming the coconut would be more prevelant. This could be awesome when fresh.

3.21/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

If I ever go back to Hawaii this will be the beer I drink.

This is not my personal taste preference in a beer, however it does capture the Hawaiian feel very well. This is definitely the kind of beer you have try for yourself to see what you think, I know my taste but not yours, and I can see why this one would be very good to some people.

Dark like a porter, coconut, brown sugar, toasted malt.

4.99/5  rDev +37.8%

Wow, I wasn't expecting this. Every time I sample a brown ale I am disapointed. They tend to look like they will have good flavor but are generally bland and mostly flavorless. However I found this wonderfully expressive brew on tap while attending the EIWA Wrestling Championships in a small local tavern in Piscataway, NJ. I almost didn't try it, but it looked like the only beer on tap that looked at all palatable.

Boy was I pleasantly surprised. The color looked like any other Brown Ale. I didn't take the time to spend time with the smell as I was with some people I hadn't seen in a long time and I did not have a lot of extra time and like I said I wasn't expecting it to be anything special. I took a sip not expecting much but I was wonderfully surprised! The taste was rich, sweetish and complex.

I am a malt man as my name implies not caring for most bitter hoppy brews. Maybe it was the surprise of not expecting anything really good as brown ales although far better than lagers, generally are non descript to me. But this brew not only got my attention, but ignited my taste buds to wanting more.

Generally I only have one brew at a sitting because what I like generally has a high alcohol content, but this is only 5.5%, so I FORCED myself to have a second one. It did not disapoint.

Since McEwan's Scotch Ale is not available in the US anymore I have been slowly sipping the case of Founders Backwoods Bastard Ale I was lucky to get when it was released in November. Now when that is gone I have found another beer to drink. Luckily upon doing a little research, there is a distributor only about 1.5 miles from my house that carries it.

KOKO Brown Ale is a real treat. Give it a try. It is not for those who drink so much commercial beer that their taste buds have rotted away or those who just want to get a buzz. It is for those who appreciate real flavor.

Who would have thought a coconut beer would be sooo good? And I just stumbled onto it at a little corner tavern. Go figure.

Stay thirsty my friends!

3.54/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured out a clear, mahogany color with a one-finger, khaki colored head of foam. It left sticky rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of toasty coconut. Lots of coconut aroma.

T - The toasted coconut is less strong in the taste. Nice toffee and caramel flavors. Slightly bitter.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is a unique brew. I'm not a huge fan of coconut but it works.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked this up as part of a build-your-own six pack for $9.99 at the Binny's store in Bloomingdale, IL. 12oz brown bottle with a bottled on date of 1/20/13 stamped on the bottom of the front label, making this bottle about 50 days old.

The beer poured a clear brown color with a 1-finger tan head that dissipated in under 30 seconds and left only small amounts of spotty lacing.

You certainly can smell the coconut along with small amounts of chocolate and malt.

While coconut is the main flavor here, it isn't overpowering. It blends well with a malty caramel sweetness and small amount of chocolate. Not exactly a melted candy bar, but close. There's also a mild hop bitterness and a touch of alcohol to balance out the sweetness.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation.

I never had a beer with coconut in it before, but then again before I started drinking craft beers, I never would have thought adding chocolate to a beer was a good idea either. I enjoyed this one, probably because they didn't over do it. Gonna try another one next time I have coconut shrimp and see how it pairs with that.

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served in the bar at the Polynesian resort in WDW. Pours dark chocolate brown in glass. Little head retention and minimal lacing.

Lots of toasted malt and coconut in aroma.

Taste is toasted malt, nuts and coconut. Coconut flavor is present throughout. Mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied.

Overall this was good. Enjoyed the coconut very much.

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Different, I'll say that.
Koko brown looks reddish amber and almost no head.
Smells bready with malt husky.
Coconut is quiet apparent on first sip, but tastes out of sorts. There is malty notes as well as vinilla too. A bit harsh feeling.
Perhaps the coconut flavor is a little too strong for me. I'll leave it.

3.84/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It pours a clear reddish brown. It has an off white head with nice lacing and decent retention. The aroma is filled with toasted coconut and hints of caramel. The coconut transfers over the the taste very well, but It's not overpowering like I feared it would be. Instead it collaborates with malt and bitter cocoa for a very nice, very well rounded taste. The finish is very mild with a kiss of bitterness. It's medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

3.67/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Good to see an old Friend has made it to Mizzou (Kona!) Bottled/Brewed in Oregon or Washington I'm guessing. Bottled on date ( I think ) of 1-29-13

Pours a scarlet tinged brown with a thumb of tan colored head. Stellar lacing, above average head retention

S: Toasty coconut & hazelnut

T: Toasty coconut, walnut shell dryness, a touch of hazelnut up front. Some general toasty malt as this warms, along with hazelnut & coconut. Finishes toasty, dry with coconut sweetness

MF: Medium bodied with firm carbonation, thins out a touch once warm

Very drinkable, found this an enjoyable brown with decent flavor. I could see me buying this again

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.