Koko Brown | Kona Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Koko BrownKoko Brown

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
konabrewingco.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Koko Brown's distinctive, nutty aroma and flavor comes from real, toasted coconut blended into each brew. One sip of this smooth, mahogany colored ale and you'll feel like you're on a warm, sun drenched beach in Hawaii. Crack one open!

Added by julian on 02-19-2011

Ratings: 1,464 |  Reviews: 340
4.2/5  rDev +16%

I poured this beer into a pint glass. It has a nice dark brown color body with a little head that lays down quickly. The smell has some vanilla notes and some coconut hints to it. The taste is down right awesome. I get that toasted coconut flavor up front and then the richness of the brown ale on the back of the tongue. It has a nice mouth feel and overall a darn good beer.

4.09/5  rDev +13%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 5/13/12
*From notes

A: Rich, robust bootstrap brown. A standard pour yields a 2.25 finger head that lingers for a while. Decent lacing and a colid collar follow.

S: It smells like it's been aged in bourbon barrels for months. Warm toasted coconut is king, and it's all over the bouquet. I get some vanilla and brown sugar as well. Lovely, lovely stuff.

T: The Brown Ale base is a great way to deliver what is all coconut all the time. The malt isn't too toasty, and it's easy to pick up on what the brewmaster wanted: toasted coconut. It's pretty prevalent from top to bottom, but then I dig coconut. If you do too, then you should peep this asap. A bit like a liquid Mounds bar.

M: Thick enough, sure. The carbonation is spot on, and the weight is surprisingly generous. Plenty of density and complexity.

O: What a find. I grabbed a sixer to share with my Pops, and he now proclaims this his favorite beer of all-time. Me? It may not be my GOAT, but it's worlds better then I was expecting. You can bet your ass that I'll be reaching for this one anytime I wanna split a beer with my Dad. My thumbs are certainly up for what is Kona's finest bottled brew to date.

2.48/5  rDev -31.5%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Bottled on April 3rd.

A-Pours a brown orange color with hues of red. There was a tan head that dissipated within 2 minutes and left a little white ring around the edges. It eventually goes a flat.

S-Smelled nutty, sweet, and a hint of toasted coconut.

T-This beer tasted like someone dumped coconut tanning oil into it. The coconut taste, along with carbonated water, were really the only tastes I could sense. The aftertaste reminded me of what my mouth feels like after I vomit (not to be gross).

M-A little too heavy on the carbonation.

Overall-I will not drink this beer again. I love coconut, but not in my beer. The idea surrounding coconut in beer sounds interesting, but when it comes down to drinking it, I'll take another brown beer instead. Nice try.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a dark, lightly hazed and reddish tinted brown, minimal cap of off white head. Scent leads with toasted coconut, hints of vanilla and toasted crusty bread, mellows into notes of toasted nuts and grain, light brown sugar and caramel. Taste of toasted coconut is quite intense in the first sip, brings more vanilla, rounds into a full toasted bread profile with light brown sugar notes. Medium bodied, slightly low in carbonation, lacing heft found in the style. Im torn with this beer, the idea is better than the execution, I love coconut and this beer has more of it than many similar beers, but a few short commings.

2.75/5  rDev -24%

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

12oz bottle, seemingly available at every little convenience store in Waikiki - awesome sauce!

This beer pours a clear, medium over-steeped black tea colour, with two chubby fingers of puffy, foamy and frothy beige head, which leaves some random specks of broken web lace around the glass as it gently recedes.

It smells of earthy, nutty, and creamed caramel malt, some roasted, fibrous fruity character - coconuts well represented - and a gently bittersweet cocoa powder thing. The taste is fairly prominent nutty coconut, semi-sweet caramel malt, biscuity toffee, subtle medium chocolate, and further mild leafy, grassy and somewhat spicy green hops.

The bubbles are nice and sedate in their trilling frothiness, the body a solid middleweight, and genuinely smooth, with a small airy creaminess nearly sealing the virtual deal. It finishes still quite nutty, still very coconut-falling on yo' damned head, and yeah, still more than a bit sweet.

Overall, this is indeed a nice enough brown ale, though one duly overshadowed by the guest coconut fruitiness; however, as a first-time visitor to this tropical locale, that seems a-ok to me, though I would be limited to a couple, as the sweet/bitter balance herein does indeed suffer my palate's choosiness, as it were.

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance: Clear, medium brown, pours a dense but small head.

Aroma: Caramel, malt, fairly mild.

Taste: Coconut, caramel sweetness, toasted coconut.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied.

Overall: Interesting. I wonder if the toasted coconut might go better with a lager though.

2.75/5  rDev -24%

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

I don't know. On the one hand, this isn't a bad beer. On the other, I don't quite get that coconut island taste.

Its definitely a brown ale though. Good nutty characteristic, sweet malt and a creamy taste. The flavors are solid, if a little lacking.

I was really expecting that coconut flavor here. I mean...I don't know if I should've gotten the oddest note of chocolate out of the flavors.

Taken on its own, its fine enough. Just don't expect anything too special and its a decent brown ale from Kona Brewing. If you're looking for a brown ale thats promising an extra bit of flavor, compare this to Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Ale and you'll see why I'm kinda disappointed here.

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.