Koko Brown | Kona Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Koko BrownKoko Brown

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
konabrewingco.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Koko Brown's distinctive, nutty aroma and flavor comes from real, toasted coconut blended into each brew. One sip of this smooth, mahogany colored ale and you'll feel like you're on a warm, sun drenched beach in Hawaii. Crack one open!

Added by julian on 02-19-2011

Ratings: 1,462 |  Reviews: 340

3.06/5  rDev -15.5%

Bottle poured in a pint glass. Smell is pleasant enough a little malty sweetness and some toasted notes, no discernable coconut however. Mouthfeel comes up short very thin feeling, makes me go back for another sip but has me looking for something more. Taste is nice, sweet malt is back again along with the toast, after really trying I get the coconut but it doesnt stand out at all. A decent brown ale but nothing special and if I didnt say coconut I probably would never have known.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

3.35/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Deep mahogany brown in color. A quarter inch of of white foam rests on top. Brussels lacing. The aroma is of coconut and caramelized malt. There's definitely a sweetness that dominates. The mouth is a bit carbonated and warm. There's bit of a cloying aspect between the caramelized malt and the intense sweetness from the coconut. The taste is an intense dark maltiness that is quickly overwhelmed by the sweet coconut.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

2.75/5  rDev -24%

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Brown. 1 1/2 head that fades and some lacing is evident.

S: coconut and cocoa

T: Was unsure if the coconut would come through on this but it really does. It dominates the flavor with some light chocolate in the background. A little one dimensional.

M: Fairly light bodied with a sweet finish

O: Tough to rate. As a brown ale, its not too good. But Kona went for a gimmicky beer and succeeded. If you like coconut, get it. If you want a well crafted complex brown ale, avoid it.

Points for nice coconut flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

3.14/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I really wanted to like this beer. The look was just the way I like: dark with a amber hue. The aroma wonderful dark, rich, with a hint of coconut. The beer poured well with a full 1" head in the craft pub glass I used. While I let it breath, I drank the last sip from the bottle. It was wonderful. Dark and malty with a believable hint of dark chocolate and the whiff of toasted coconut.

A few moments latter I sniffed the glass and swiftly took my first full sip. Wham. I was hit by the coconut. The more I drank the more the coconut overpowered. It was so good out of the bottle, I really wanted to like the glass. I couldn't finish. Maybe I'll give it another try but keep it in the bottle. Possibly I'm overwhelmed by the coconut aroma and I liked the first sip out of the bottle because my nose wasn't in the glass.

2.75/5  rDev -24%

3.96/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottle -> Craft Beer Glass

A: Rich dark brown with a nice red hue, 3/4" creamy tan head that hangs for a while, thick web lacing.
S: Bittersweet cocoa powder, roasted coffee, vanilla.
T: There's the coconut..., dark chocolate, toasty malts, creamed coffee, nice subtle bitter finish.
M: Medium-bodied, higher CO2 which adds to the creaminess, nice rich coating effect.
O: Tasty brew. I love coconut in brews - it adds a smoothness and cuts the bitterness in dark ales and leaves you with a creaminess & great drinkability. Not overdone, but well done.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.