Koko Brown | Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown
Liked This Beer
3.62 w/ 1,467 Ratings
Koko BrownKoko Brown

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
konabrewingco.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Koko Brown's distinctive, nutty aroma and flavor comes from real, toasted coconut blended into each brew. One sip of this smooth, mahogany colored ale and you'll feel like you're on a warm, sun drenched beach in Hawaii. Crack one open!

Added by julian on 02-19-2011

Liked:
3.62/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,467 |  Reviews: 340

3.66/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a 12 oz brown bottle into a 16 oz nonic glass. Date printed on the label reads APR 10 13, but I can't tell if that's a bottling date or a freshness date, so this bottle is a couple months past its prime at worst.

Appearance - Aggressive pour yields a khaki one-finger head of small bubbles that dissipates to a rim of foam and a film of bubbles after about 60 seconds. Body is translucent brown resembling varnish, and when held up to the light, a rich jewel-tone red shines through. Lacing is spotty

Smell - Nutty earthiness is the base, perhaps some hazelnut. Toasted coconut is also easily recognizable as well as some notes of vanilla.

Taste - I was afraid this would be just another brown ale, but the coconut really shines through and in a pleasant way. Malty base works well with the burnt/charred characteristics reminiscent of toffee. Perhaps a hint of hop bitterness to balance out the sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Light-bodied and with a slightly cloying nature gives it a lingering aftertaste. Carbonation is present, but not overbearing.

Overall, I'm fairly impressed by this beer. Not something I'd drink all the time, but a solid change up from the types of beers that tend to be so popular these days. Surprisingly refreshing for a brown ale.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

4.27/5  rDev +18%

I am almost finished with the last batch of beer that my local, in-person trader, tone77, dropped off for me. It has been an interesting go, with lots of styles that I would otherwise eschew, but which allow me to keep my hand in.

From the bottle: "Koko Brown's distinctive, nutty aroma and flavor comes from real toasted coconut blended into each brew. One sip of this roasty, smooth, mahogany colored ale and you will feel like you are on a warm sun-drenched beach in Hawaii. Aloha!"; "Since 1994, Kona Brewing Co. has been committed to making handcrafted ales and lagers of uncompromising quality. We invite you to visit our brewery and pubs whenever you visit Hawaii. Mahalo!"; "Ale Brewed with Toasted Coconut and Natural Flavor Added".

My pour was creating a good bit of head so I backed off to allow it to settle a little before proceeding. I started with close to two fingers of foamy, light-tan head, but the intense carbonation caused it to bubble and burp its way out of existence. Truth in advertising strikes again! It was, indeed, a mahogany-brown with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see through walls. The neighbors need to let the dog out, apparently. Nose was rich with caramel and coconut and I was reminded of a "Peanuts" strip in which Linus or Lucy had a box of chocolates and inadvertently chose a coconut and then made a face. I remember thinking that I liked coconut as a kid and especially my grandmother's pound cake with coconut frosting. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was initially rich with coconut, but then the caramel and chocolate of the malt began to kick in and it was like liquid candy! Finish was decidedly sweet and you had best like coconut going into it because that was the lingering flavor. I can promise you that this type of thing is not usually my bag, but as an occasional step away from intense hops, I liked it. You have to decide for yourself as to whether it would be to your taste.

4.26/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a brown body with a off-white head.

Nose is dominated by toasted malts and coconut. You can really smell the coconut in this beer.

Taste is light to medium bodied with, again, lots of nicely toasted malt and a toasted coconut flavor. Very nice and malty and really runs that nice fine line of malty brown ale, with maybe even hints of german bock. Not really much in the way of hops other than to add a mild bitter background. This beer is all about the perfect balance of rich session brown ale with toasted coconut.

I was really not expecting to like this beer at all, but man. Homerun. The toasted coconut flavors and the toasted brown malt go together like peanut butter and chocolate. A perfect match. A great session beer, but could also go really well with dessert. (I'd vote for chocolate ice cream on a warm day) ;-)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

2.75/5  rDev -24%

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

2.75/5  rDev -24%

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 47.2% out of 100 with 1,467 ratings