Coffee Stout

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Coffee StoutCoffee Stout
Notes: Our Coffee Stout is a classic combination of a traditional stout and premium French roast coffee from St. Louis roaster, Kaldi’s Coffee. Roasted barley and coffee dominate the aroma, with the sweetness from the stout balancing the acidity of the coffee. We use a unique cold toddy extraction process to brew a less acidic coffee for the beer.

In the 1990’s, Kaldi’s staff started visiting the Schlafly Tap Room, asking for a pint of stout and a shot of espresso. Both Schlafly and Kaldi’s realized this was a match made in beer heaven, and soon started working together to find the perfect coffee blend to mix with our Oatmeal Stout. This collaboration continues today, with regular tastings to perfect the Coffee Stout.

Reviews: 341 | Ratings: 1,004 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
timobkg from New Jersey

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Dark brown, like black coffee, with a thin, off-white head. The head is thin, but lasts for hours.

The strong aroma of coffee invites me in to take a sip.

Sipping, I get the taste of rich, robust coffee with a pleasant sweetness. The stout is very much relegated to backup, but helps accentuate the coffee by providing added roasted character and sweetness. The combination is a delightful match.

Mouthfeel is rich and robust.

Overall, I am really impressed. I honestly wasn't expecting much, and was very surprised. This is a delightful coffee stout, one of the best I've had. I compared it side by side with Cape May's Coffee Stout, which I thought was pretty good, and it blew Cape May's away - Schlafly's had a much stronger coffee aroma and a much richer, sweeter, more robust coffee taste. I will definitely pick this up again, and use this as my benchmark for judging other coffee stouts against.

Nov 19, 2021
hopsputin from New Jersey

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

a: silky, slick black color. almost like an oil slick. no light is penetrating. 1/2 finger tan fizzy head that fades pretty quick

s: fresh coffee, caramel, and dark chocolate upfront. charred wood, roasted malts, and milk chocolate. more roasted coffee and some brown sugar. very pleasant aroma

t: bitter roasted malts and dark chocolate upfront. baking chocolate and burnt caramel behind that. espresso and coffee subtly make their way in now with a bit of milk chocolate sweetness. the oats bring a nice smoothness to this at the back as well

m: creamy smooth medium mouthfeel with low-moderate carbonation

o: heavy on the roast in this one which brings a bit of bitterness. coffee is subtle, but it has a real nice mouthfeel being an Oatmeal Stout. good, not great flavor

Apr 23, 2021
rudiecantfail from Pennsylvania

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle poured into a snulip glass.

L---Darkest black color. Medium, tan head that had good retention and left very good lacing.

S---Truth in advertising...this has a strong coffee aroma. Not much else, though.

T---they hit what they were aiming for here. Very strong coffee taste. Not much else, though.

F---Lighter than the strong coffee would make you think. But just about right for a 5.7% beer.

O---A bit of a one trick pony, but they hit the mark on that one trick.

Mar 16, 2021
barnzy78 from Illinois

4.09/5  rDev +5.4%

12oz bottle
bottled with love on 12/23/2020
sadly it’s been years since I had this one
L: creamy khaki head caps a dark brown stout
S: coffee, roasted barley, chocolate, nutty grain
T: fresh ground medium coffee, chocolate, dark grain, nutty grain, roasted barley, earthy hops
F: fuller body, creamy & smooth, moderate carbonation, balanced finish
O: much better than I remember. Coffee is excellently infused into this one!

Feb 23, 2021
Taybeh from Minnesota

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

into a snifter from a single 12 oz bottle. Looks good, straight black with a finger of khaki colored head that reduces to a ring fairly quickly. Nose: lots of bitter roasted coffee/espresso, a little dark baker's chocolate, some smoke. Taste follows. Fairly thin and a little watery in the mouthful, which makes it a little less enjoyable. All in all, though, this is very nice, and very much delivers on the coffee promise.

Dec 28, 2020
Brutaltruth from Ohio

From the 12 oz bottle in a snifter. This old favorite of mine and
the little lady was found at Party Town in Ky. This excellent straight
up brew pours a dark blackish brown with thin cola highlights and a
nice head of off white foam that settles to a thick ring, thin clumping
layer, and sports some nice light lacing. Nose of dark rich coffee, char,
touches of smoke, and dark baker chocolate. Flavors follow on the nose
with dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, char, woodsy / earthy malts, and
touches of dark fruit with faint cream. Nice mouth fee; medium full body,
smooth, coating, medium light carbonation, and a char and roast driven
finish that is moderately dry.

Excellence from one of our favorite breweries!

Cheers

Dec 05, 2020
Charles_Ball_Fuller from Missouri

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: Clear dark brown with a little bit of caramel/red-brown when looked at through light. Looks a lot like Coca-cola.
Smell: Smells quite boozy with trace amounts of espresso scent. Very toasty-roasty malt and coffee.
Taste: Light chocolate notes; the alcohol is quite noticeable, but not nearly as much as it smells; slight bitter aftertaste, but not nearly as bitter as I expected it to be. A lot of the reviews on here are saying that all they got was super strong coffee, and while I'm sure that was their experience, honestly I thought the coffee was more in the background than the forefront. I didn't find it abrasive or extremely noticeable. For a french roast, I also braced myself for a dark roasted flavor and didn't really get that either, which was a pleasant surprise, because I hate dark roast.
Feel: Medium body, not as heavy as I was expecting, but definitely coats and stays in your mouth for a few.
Overall: Actually a pretty pleasant and drinkable beer. Not very bitter and nothing is overpowering, so if you're looking for a coffee punch, I don't think this is the beer for you, but it's definitely enjoyable.

Nov 19, 2020
MikeWard from Pennsylvania

3.84/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz can into a pint glass. Canned 10/20/20, so 2-3 weeks old.

Looks pretty good in the glass. Black body, but dark burgundy when held up to the light. Loose bubbly pale tan head shrinks to a thick ring and covering. Some lacing.

Aroma of coffee.

On tasting, well, it's all coffee. There is a fairly strong roast on this one, but it's pretty one dimensional. Coffee. Not a bad taste, but no complexity.

Mouth around medium with a little bite. Finish unsweetened coffee.

Overall, I like coffee, and the overall taste is good. Wouldn't want more than one a session though.

Nov 08, 2020
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

These next several are going to be Bottles (Eeek!) of varying types, each one sort of dovetailing with the next. If past history is any indication, I'll be bound up better than eating a block of cheese after all of this!

From the Bottle: "Schlafly Coffee Stout is a classic combination of a traditional stout and premium French roast coffee from St. Louis roaster, Kaldi’s Coffee. We use a unique cold toddy extraction process to brew a less acidic coffee for the beer. Available seasonally."; "Stout with Coffee".

I Pop!ped the cap & being that is was a relatively recent purchase, I let it freely run from the bottle into the awaiting glass on a C-Line pour. This resulted in the formation of just under two fingers of fizzy, foamy, soapy, deep-tan/light-brown head with modest retention, quickly falling away to wisps. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34), with mahogany highlights throughout. Nose smelled like freshly-roasted coffee! Mmm. Now, you have my attention! Second only to beer is my love of coffee, dating back to a career in the Navy. I am down to (usually) one cup a day, but you had best believe that it is strong! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but on the approach. Speaking of cream, the taste was less intense than on the nose with a coffee & cream-like flavor. That is not to characterize it was "sweet", though. It may have been brewed to be less acidic, but it was still plenty bitter with a solid roastiness throughout. Finish was semi-dry to dry & will probably hold me over until tomorrow morning's coffee. YMMV.

Apr 18, 2020
Trailboss76 from Virginia

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice and dark brown. Thin, tan head. You get some serious coffee raostiness immediately from the aroma. I mean it's way more pronounced than most stouts I've tried. Flavor-wise it's got some roastiness going on, some bitterness going on. Finishes a little thin, however.

Mar 24, 2020
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%

The Saint Louis Brewery, LLC "Schlafly Coffee Stout"
12 fluid oz brown glass bottle, "Bottled With Love on 10232018 09:29" and sampled on 03162019 16:40
$1.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: It's poured a typical stout appearance with an opaque black brown body beneath a short head of tan. Unfortunately the head retention is not that good, it's already dropped before I could even type this far, and thus I doubt there will be much in the way of lacing. (I know my glass is "beer clean" as I've just used it). The aroma displays some green pepper spiciness which is disappointing. How old is this? 5 months?... well, that is a little long so I guess that's to be expected. Over that, and dominating, however, is a pleasant fresh coffee bean aroma. Or, that of a freshly brewed cup of black coffee. Not the most premium of cups, mind you, but at least that of McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts quality. It's pleasant. On to the flavor... the coffee remains but it's not as bright, there's maltiness to dilute it, and it is, after all, a beer and not a cup of coffee. It's got some sweet grainy malt to it, some golden caramel, some medium dark chocolate (maybe half milk chocolate and half bittersweet dark chocolate), and the expected coffee like roastiness. A median bitterness balances it (the label states 30 IBUs) and it finishes dry and softly roasty with coffee and a delicate note of dark caramel and toffee lingering. In the mouth it's medium-light in body and gently crisp. As I thought, there's no lacing left behind, nor is there even a collar of foam left of the head. If that's it's only flaw I can live with it; it's a solid coffee stout that you could fall back on time and time again, and I'd imagine that i could probably drink three of these in a row before I'd get tired of it and move on.
Review# 6,526

Mar 16, 2019
Maestro0708 from Kentucky

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with a nice beige head that reduces to a film and leaves lacing along the sides of the glass.

Smell is almost entirely roast, combining coffee with big toasty malt.

Flavor boasts huge espresso character paired with those same roasted malt notes. There is enough sweetness to keep the bitter coffee from overwhelming the beer. The finish is balanced.

The feel is thinner in body than expected but it doesn't ruin the experience.

Solid coffee stout.

Feb 05, 2019
HoppingMadMonk from New Jersey

Solid black color. Very low carbonation with a below average body. This is not a thick bodied stout but was still a decent feel.
Aroma is black coffee, roasted coffee beans, roasted malt
Taste is everything coffee with some roasted malt as well. This is a coffee lovers beer. I actually had with dessert after dinner instead of coffee and it worked very well

Jan 20, 2019
jkblr from Indiana

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottled 11/8/18 (29 days ago) poured into a shaker pint glass at fridge temp 5.7% ABV. The beer pours dense black with mocha brown head. The head recedes to a thin film and leaves some lacing. The aroma is nice and dominated by cold brew coffee. The taste is roasty malts and baker's chocolate at first with the coffee beans coming through mid-palate on. There is some slight tang on the mildly bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied, adequately carbonated and dry in the finish. Overall, very good. This is a really good looking and smelling beer. It's a little one dimensional with the coffee, but it's all nicely done. I don't think this is an oatmeal stout at all, but I did fault the body for lack of fullness (very thin for that style).

Dec 07, 2018
Livyatan1996 from Missouri

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

living my stout season life to the fullest. poured into a proper schlafly tulip glass from goodwill, this beers a dark brown with a big sizzling khaki head, chunks of lacing left behind. the coffee that was promised is delivered immediately on the nose, with a bit of sweetness and earthiness baking it up. taste is straight up coffee at first, warming into more roasted malt with bits of chocolate and maybe hop flavors. lingering coffee flavor that just sits forever. drinks nice but is quite thin and carbonated, almost tingly. doesn't ruin the beer for me though and i'm gladly picking up more soon.

Nov 13, 2018
tone77 from Pennsylvania

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of black coffee. Taste is black coffee, some light chocolate, zero oats. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer if you like coffee, otherwise, give it a miss.

Nov 12, 2018
daliandragon from Maryland

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a big head and leaves behind copious frosted lace. Nose is indeed drenched in roast coffee aroma, and a touch of balancing hops.

The roasted coffee and espresso flavors dominate the taste as well, with late balancing hops and heavy baker's chocolate and medium nut notes. Texture is smooth but a little thin, and a little over carbonated. This beer also improves as it warms

Nov 11, 2018
wmscottsimpsonjr from Missouri

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

Fairly sweet, not too bitter and tastes like real coffee. A good coffee flavor, not something reminiscent that tastes eh. It’s light, not thick and creamy, so it’s easy to drink. It evokes a refreshing iced coffee rather than a rich steamy cup. The best real coffee stout I’ve had.

Jun 20, 2018
Guppy314 from District of Columbia

3.61/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle, pours s opaque lack with a frothy, lasting khaki head. Bold malt and coffee shop aromas. Rich coffee, roasted sweet malt, and caramel flavors with some chocolate and oat tastes. Bitter hops as an aftertaste at the end. On fairness, it's really drinkable, but more watery and less creamy than most oatmeal stouts.

Feb 07, 2018
Fear4Beer from Pennsylvania

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. It is very drinkable because of its low IBUs (bitterness). Just about anyone could drink this and enjoy it (even people who don't normally drink beer).

Look:
It has an outstanding look to it. Very dark black/brown when poured out into a glass mug. No head formed when pouring out though.

Smell:
Lots of coffee bean and malts in my whiffs of this beer. Smells wonderful!

Taste:
It grew on me the more and more I sipped it. The flavors just linger in your mouth for minutes after each sip. Lots of coffee beans and malt. The coffee is very smooth and not very acidic tasting. This is a really pleasant beer. The more I sip this and type this review, the more I'm liking this brew.

Feel:
Not heavy on the tongue but certainly not watery either. It sits somewhere in the middle. I feel carbonation on my tongue which gives it a smoothness to it. I think people will want a beer like this to have a lot of body to it but I don't mind it being somewhere in the middle. My first reaction when drinking it was: "I wish it had more body" but then as I continued to drink it I sort of forgot about that since the flavors just linger in your mouth for such a long time. I think it being a little thinner makes it more drinkable as a session beer which you could certainly do with this brew.

Overall:
Ok, so this beer is actually really good for the money spent. I was able to get a bottle at my local beer store for $1.99 and for that amount of money I'd be a repeat buyer. Of course you save money if you buy a 6 pack and next time I'm at my beer shop I might just do it. I'm loving Schlafly's beer bargains. I might not have tried it if it was more expensive. I loved their pumpkin ale and this coffee stout is another great of theirs. I'm no expert in stouts but I've had some good ones over the years. We all know someone who enjoys Guiness, this would blow their mind if they drank this. It is so much better. Heck I've had Guinness' Foreign Extra Stout (the imported version from Ireland) and I'd take this Schlafly's Coffee Stout every time over that. The drinkability of this stout makes it great for someone dipping their toes into the craft beer world.

Nov 15, 2017
avalon07 from South Carolina

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dark brown / black color and a thick consistency. There was a small amount of foamy, tan-colored head that quickly dissipated. Not a whole lot of lacing.

S: A pretty good aroma of coffee, roasted malt, light hops, and oatmeal as well.

T: Tasted of a fair amount of roasted malt, a good shot of coffee (to be expected), a bit of hops (mostly in the finish), a tinge of oatmeal, and light chocolate notes. For the most part, this is a decent flavor, mostly focused on coffee. Unfortunately, it could have used a boost with the other ingredients. not bad, though.

F: A decent amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Definitely not a perfect beer, but it's solid enough. Worth a try.

Oct 17, 2017
Coolguy_chris from Tennessee

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Very dark, no light penetration, very thin 1/8" tan head that went away quickly. Smell of strong roasted malt. Very pleasant cold brew coffee taste. Not bitter at all. Pretty carbonated feel. Really liked it. I'll buy again.

Feb 11, 2017
WoodBrew from Ohio

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

I bought a bottle of this off the single shelf at Binnys. It poured an opaque black with no head and no lace. The scent is coffee. The taste is coffee with hint of milk chocolate. The Mouthfeel is medium in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it's a decent stout.

Jan 20, 2017
FriedSlug from North Carolina

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Dark brown but it does let some light in around the edges. Tan head that leaves uniform specks of lacing. The aroma is sweet and bitter coffee with some roastiness. The flavor is sweet roasted malt with tons of coffee and bitter char. Fairly thin for a stout but it is pretty tasty.

Dec 10, 2016
Act25 from New Jersey

3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

Beer & an espresso shot expresses my personality, my preference, and my past perfectly. So does this beer.

A: Outstanding, translucent for a stout, with a creamy tan head that lasts and laces massively.

S: Sharp coffee aroma, with shards of mocha, herbs, and oatmeal.

T: Lots of dark coffee flavor with a dusting of chocolate and oatmeal, and a bit of see-saw with a touch of bitter hops and mostly semi-sweet black coffee.

F: Lighter body and moderate carbonation.

O: As good as any coffee stout, front of the pack.

Dec 09, 2016