Schlafly Coffee Stout | The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room
Missouri, United States
schlafly.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Our Coffee Stout is a classic combination of a traditional stout and premium French roast coffee from St. Louis roaster, Kaldi’s Coffee. Roasted barley and coffee dominate the aroma, with the sweetness from the stout balancing the acidity of the coffee. We use a unique cold toddy extraction process to brew a less acidic coffee for the beer.

In the 1990’s, Kaldi’s staff started visiting the Schlafly Tap Room, asking for a pint of stout and a shot of espresso. Both Schlafly and Kaldi’s realized this was a match made in beer heaven, and soon started working together to find the perfect coffee blend to mix with our Oatmeal Stout. This collaboration continues today, with regular tastings to perfect the Coffee Stout.

Added by maxpower on 11-11-2001

Reviews by JerzDevl2000:
3.69/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked this up in Totowa earlier this week. I had no idea that this was a Oatmeal Stout until I looked up this beer on here, since it wasn't as full as others that I've had in the past. As others have commented on here, this was quite thin and more like carbonated coffee rather than actual beer. On its own, it was fine but I expect an Oatmeal Stout to have the taste and body of actual oats and I think that this beer spread itself thin just a bit here.

The pour was as to be expected - cola brown with just a hint of garnet around the edges, with a fluffy tan head that quickly settled and a fair amount of lacing on the side of my pint glass that I drank down the side of. Lots of coffee and espresso in the nose but not a lot of oats. The look and mouthfeel of this beer was of the aforementioned cola without the sugary stickiness as the burnt notes of the coffee ended up taking over to a large degree here. If Starbucks brewed a beer, this would be it (although this would be a better buy for the buck!) and the hop bitterness really couldn't be found here. There was a faint bitter chocolate undertone to this as well with just a bit of vanilla extract and molasses to give this some bite. A fair presence of carbonation was here as well but not enough to scrub my palate clean after each sip.

At the alcohol was light here, as there was hardly any booze to be detected as I did "shots" of this coffee, er...beer. While I like something that pushes the edge a bit, something was missing here. Maybe it was the oats, some more powder to the chocolate, or some more bubbles to give this some life. Espresso tends to be watery, flat, and bitter and that's what this was too. If that's your thing, drink away! It will save you a trip to the place with the long lines, green aprons, and hum of the coffee machines.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Dark brown but it does let some light in around the edges. Tan head that leaves uniform specks of lacing. The aroma is sweet and bitter coffee with some roastiness. The flavor is sweet roasted malt with tons of coffee and bitter char. Fairly thin for a stout but it is pretty tasty.

4.16/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a near opaque black with subtle garnet highlights and a thick, bubbly tan head that laces deep into the glass.

S: Strong aromas of roasted grain, coffee, minerals, and earthy hops fill the nose.

T: Notes of coffee, cream, vanilla bean, roasted grain, leather, bitter chocolate, and earthy hops fill the mouth before a smooth finish of leather, coffee, and cream takes the reins.

M: Thinner than one would expect for a stout, I would say this ale is closer to being medium-bodied than full-bodied. The texture in the mouth is silky and smooth. Carbonation is very airy and delicate. This ale is almost too easy to drink.

O: An excellent stout. While I would have preferred a thicker, heavier body and more complexity on the nose, this is still a very good beer. Unlike many coffee stouts, this one really showcases the aroma and flavor of the coffee used. Highly recommended.

3.43/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. It is very drinkable because of its low IBUs (bitterness). Just about anyone could drink this and enjoy it (even people who don't normally drink beer).

Look:
It has an outstanding look to it. Very dark black/brown when poured out into a glass mug. No head formed when pouring out though.

Smell:
Lots of coffee bean and malts in my whiffs of this beer. Smells wonderful!

Taste:
It grew on me the more and more I sipped it. The flavors just linger in your mouth for minutes after each sip. Lots of coffee beans and malt. The coffee is very smooth and not very acidic tasting. This is a really pleasant beer. The more I sip this and type this review, the more I'm liking this brew.

Feel:
Not heavy on the tongue but certainly not watery either. It sits somewhere in the middle. I feel carbonation on my tongue which gives it a smoothness to it. I think people will want a beer like this to have a lot of body to it but I don't mind it being somewhere in the middle. My first reaction when drinking it was: "I wish it had more body" but then as I continued to drink it I sort of forgot about that since the flavors just linger in your mouth for such a long time. I think it being a little thinner makes it more drinkable as a session beer which you could certainly do with this brew.

Overall:
Ok, so this beer is actually really good for the money spent. I was able to get a bottle at my local beer store for $1.99 and for that amount of money I'd be a repeat buyer. Of course you save money if you buy a 6 pack and next time I'm at my beer shop I might just do it. I'm loving Schlafly's beer bargains. I might not have tried it if it was more expensive. I loved their pumpkin ale and this coffee stout is another great of theirs. I'm no expert in stouts but I've had some good ones over the years. We all know someone who enjoys Guiness, this would blow their mind if they drank this. It is so much better. Heck I've had Guinness' Foreign Extra Stout (the imported version from Ireland) and I'd take this Schlafly's Coffee Stout every time over that. The drinkability of this stout makes it great for someone dipping their toes into the craft beer world.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

3.61/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours deep mahogany with a light brown head.

Has a lighter aroma of coffee bean, oats, and chocolate.

Once again, the flavors are lighter but the body is full. Not the cleanest blend of coffee roast and chocolate, but it still works. The finish is slightly astringent and dry with some noticable hops.

It has a nice quaffable quality, i've been known to drink around six of these at a time. More of the session coffee stout, if you will. I have drank my fair share of this beer and will continue as it's on tap at my weekend pub.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Served from a growler provided by my brother and sister-in-law as a Christmas Gift. Served in a new English pint glass; a gift from my sister.

Poured a dark, dark karo syrup brown with garnet highlights. Head tan and fine. Nice lace. The aroma is good roast coffee. Very faint hops if any. The taste is delicious coffee and chocolate. No harsh bitterness, just the right amount to meet the style. A little thin on the mouth feel, but a nice finish. Extremely drinkable.

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, bottled on 11/2/10. Pours brown with a smallish off white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is grains, some chocolate and coffee.

The flavor is bready malts and slightly stale acidic coffee with a burnt bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with spritzy carbonation.

Overall, an OK coffee stout. There's decent coffee presence but the flavor is a bit off for me.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.34/5  rDev +12.4%

I am enjoying this greatly.
Nice creamy head, webbing to glass.
Wonderful coffee aroma!
Not overpowering, good blend, easy going down.
This one has a future in my fridge.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz brown bottle with a bottled on date on the label. This stout is brewed with Kaldi's Coffee.

Head retention is fine, some good stickage on the glass. A shade lighter than pitch black the liquid is. Smells of mocha iced coffee with a hint of sweetness from the oats. Very smooth and creamy with a semi-slick mouth feel. Chocolaty roasted malt with a big tone of coffee flavor, mild hop bitterness. Finishes with a long lingering chocolate / coffee flavor.

Very tasty and balanced, and balanced is what I look for first in a coffee stout espsically if the acidity is too much which is not the case here. Paired well with a handful of chocolate cover espresso beans.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Excellent appearance poured into the glass, with an opaque dark chestnut body topped by a tan head that rises about an inch before falling to a lasting cap. Lacing is in chains and sheets.

Aroma is very nice. Lots of roasty coffee, just a hint of bitter chocolate. No hops are discerned.

Mouthfeel is light medium. Carbonation is above average for style.

Taste is bitter, dark roast malt, as per style. Lots of roasty coffee Columbian coffee bean flavor here. Maybe, some grassy hops in the background. Finishes bitter roasty malt, as the style dictates.

One of the better products from the nice folks at Schlafley. A very well put together American stout that is a pleasure to sip.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Black in color with with a fingernail of beige on top. Brussels lacing. No light seeps through. aroma of dark coffee and hints of chocolate. The flavor is initially bitter dark coffee and then it switches over to a chocolatey sweetness. The mouth is thick and viscous.

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Sent to me in an awesome package of generosity from rsyberg01 for the holiday sponsor a BA. Thanks again!

Appearance- Pours a ruddy dark brown with some light and a touch of crimson showing through the bottom of the glass. Only about a finger of fizzy, light brown head accompanies the beer and dies back in short order. Little to no lacing but some mild carbonation beading up the side.

Smell- Pretty straightforward roasted malt and burnt coffee on the nose. Pleasant enough but not much else going on.

Taste-Again, fairly one dimensional here. Mild flavors of roastiness enriched with some bitter coffee. A little to understated for my tastes without a whole lot of coffee coming through.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel comes across a bit thin and fizzy but not too bad. Drinkability suffers for me on this one as the flavor was just a little too uninteresting to make me want to session it.

Overall, an unoffensive, mild beer. I am partial to coffee stouts and found this one just a little lacking in the flavor and body department to make it a home run for me.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

4.04/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle with a bottling date of Sept. 2015.

The body looks like black coffee with unusually red edges. The head is too fizzy and short lived.

Aroma: cold pressed coffee and fainter dark roasted grains.

Flavor. lightly sweet up front; mildly bitter by the finish. Coffee dominated but with a solid base of dark roasted malts. High quality coffee flavor.

Feel: smooth, near full body with light carbonation.

Schlafly Coffee Stout from The Schlafly Tap Room