Schlafly Coffee Stout | The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room
Missouri, United States
schlafly.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Our Coffee Stout is a classic combination of a traditional stout and premium French roast coffee from St. Louis roaster, Kaldi’s Coffee. Roasted barley and coffee dominate the aroma, with the sweetness from the stout balancing the acidity of the coffee. We use a unique cold toddy extraction process to brew a less acidic coffee for the beer.

In the 1990’s, Kaldi’s staff started visiting the Schlafly Tap Room, asking for a pint of stout and a shot of espresso. Both Schlafly and Kaldi’s realized this was a match made in beer heaven, and soon started working together to find the perfect coffee blend to mix with our Oatmeal Stout. This collaboration continues today, with regular tastings to perfect the Coffee Stout.

Added by maxpower on 11-11-2001

4.32/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

If you want a coffee beer that tastes and smells like cold pressed coffee without the bitterness, this is for you.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. It is very drinkable because of its low IBUs (bitterness). Just about anyone could drink this and enjoy it (even people who don't normally drink beer).

Look:
It has an outstanding look to it. Very dark black/brown when poured out into a glass mug. No head formed when pouring out though.

Smell:
Lots of coffee bean and malts in my whiffs of this beer. Smells wonderful!

Taste:
It grew on me the more and more I sipped it. The flavors just linger in your mouth for minutes after each sip. Lots of coffee beans and malt. The coffee is very smooth and not very acidic tasting. This is a really pleasant beer. The more I sip this and type this review, the more I'm liking this brew.

Feel:
Not heavy on the tongue but certainly not watery either. It sits somewhere in the middle. I feel carbonation on my tongue which gives it a smoothness to it. I think people will want a beer like this to have a lot of body to it but I don't mind it being somewhere in the middle. My first reaction when drinking it was: "I wish it had more body" but then as I continued to drink it I sort of forgot about that since the flavors just linger in your mouth for such a long time. I think it being a little thinner makes it more drinkable as a session beer which you could certainly do with this brew.

Overall:
Ok, so this beer is actually really good for the money spent. I was able to get a bottle at my local beer store for $1.99 and for that amount of money I'd be a repeat buyer. Of course you save money if you buy a 6 pack and next time I'm at my beer shop I might just do it. I'm loving Schlafly's beer bargains. I might not have tried it if it was more expensive. I loved their pumpkin ale and this coffee stout is another great of theirs. I'm no expert in stouts but I've had some good ones over the years. We all know someone who enjoys Guiness, this would blow their mind if they drank this. It is so much better. Heck I've had Guinness' Foreign Extra Stout (the imported version from Ireland) and I'd take this Schlafly's Coffee Stout every time over that. The drinkability of this stout makes it great for someone dipping their toes into the craft beer world.

4.31/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dark brown / black color and a thick consistency. There was a small amount of foamy, tan-colored head that quickly dissipated. Not a whole lot of lacing.

S: A pretty good aroma of coffee, roasted malt, light hops, and oatmeal as well.

T: Tasted of a fair amount of roasted malt, a good shot of coffee (to be expected), a bit of hops (mostly in the finish), a tinge of oatmeal, and light chocolate notes. For the most part, this is a decent flavor, mostly focused on coffee. Unfortunately, it could have used a boost with the other ingredients. not bad, though.

F: A decent amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Definitely not a perfect beer, but it's solid enough. Worth a try.

3.59/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.89/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

3.57/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

4.04/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Very dark, no light penetration, very thin 1/8" tan head that went away quickly. Smell of strong roasted malt. Very pleasant cold brew coffee taste. Not bitter at all. Pretty carbonated feel. Really liked it. I'll buy again.

4.21/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

4.26/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

I bought a bottle of this off the single shelf at Binnys. It poured an opaque black with no head and no lace. The scent is coffee. The taste is coffee with hint of milk chocolate. The Mouthfeel is medium in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it's a decent stout.

3.69/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.66/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.49/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was good, but I expected a bit more out of this since most every Schlafly beer I've had is excellent.

Schlafly Coffee Stout from The Schlafly Tap Room