Schlafly Coffee Stout | The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room
Missouri, United States
schlafly.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Our Coffee Stout is a classic combination of a traditional stout and premium French roast coffee from St. Louis roaster, Kaldi’s Coffee. Roasted barley and coffee dominate the aroma, with the sweetness from the stout balancing the acidity of the coffee. We use a unique cold toddy extraction process to brew a less acidic coffee for the beer.

In the 1990’s, Kaldi’s staff started visiting the Schlafly Tap Room, asking for a pint of stout and a shot of espresso. Both Schlafly and Kaldi’s realized this was a match made in beer heaven, and soon started working together to find the perfect coffee blend to mix with our Oatmeal Stout. This collaboration continues today, with regular tastings to perfect the Coffee Stout.

Added by maxpower on 11-11-2001

Liked:
3.86/5
Alströms:

4.69/5  rDev +21.5%

This beer pours dark brown with a creamy head. The head fades somewhat quickly leaving few laces. As soon as the beer is poured, you are assulted by a very strong coffee aroma. Hidden is a malty aroma, but the coffee aroma is dominant. It tastes very coffee like. I guess that is because it is a coffee stout. It tastes just like cold coffee with alcohol. It is very impressive. Other coffee stouts only have a mild coffee flavor, but this one has very strong flavors. It leaves a coffee taste in the mouth. It is rather pleasent. It is carbonated just right. This beer would be a great session beer. It is very tasty and it doesnt have too much alcohol. If I could get this beer where I live, I would drink it all the time. The rating it has doesnt give it justice.

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A - Dark brown with no head.

S - Simply put smells like coffee...as it should!

T - This is by far the best "coffee stout" that I have tasted. Many stouts and porters have "hints" of coffee among other flavors. To me it tasted like I was drinking a delicious iced coffee...if you like coffee you will love this beer. However, this is only for coffee lovers, if you are only an occasional coffee drinker this probably won't be the stout for you.

M - Smooth with minimal carbonation. Certainly not a chore to drink.

O - I think I covered it in "taste" but I had this on tap a week ago and craved it all week. I manged to find the last 6-pack in one of my local spots and while the bottle isn't quite the experience the tap was, I would still recommend this beer to all lovers of stouts and coffee.

4.6/5  rDev +19.2%

4.57/5  rDev +18.4%

This one poured a very dark brown with a fluffy off white head that quickly dissipated. The smell was amazing. I love Starbucks and coffee altogether so this one is great. There is also some sweet caramel malts and milk chocolate in there as well. The taste is slightly sweet chocolate and a robust espresso. The coffee is not dominate which is good for this. There is an amazing balance between all the flavors which make it a great brew. If the coffee was overpowering it would just be coffee and not beer. The mouthfeel was a little thin. I would have liked this to have a little bit more of a creamy texture. Maybe I should put some half and half in it. Overall I am impressed and would like to have another.

4.56/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +17.4%

This is an outstanding brew!!! Got it as part of a trade from wcudwight who got it from dertbert. Thanks to these guys.

Wow!! I don't know where to begin with this beer. Poured out the color of a very dark porter. Not totally black but almost. A thin head with little lacing. The smell is of roasted oatmeal and coffee. The taste is incredible. You first notice the oatmeal with a coffee taste left for the finish. The mouthfeel is very smooth. Nothing detracts from this brew. The only thing keeping me from driving to St. Louis to get a case is I am kinda tired. But I am thinking of calling in sick in the morning. So you could say I think this is a worthwhile beer. I will cross paths with this brew again.

4.52/5  rDev +17.1%

I poured this Schlafly's Coffee Stout from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The first thing you notice is great carbonation that explodes into a creamy white head. Decent head retention. The color of the Stout is a shade less then pitch black. This Coffee Stout has an Oatmeal Stout as a base and it is brewed with locally roasted Kaldi's Coffee. The aroma is wonderful. If you are a coffee lover, this is the perfect fusion of beer and coffee. As you drink the foam clings to the glass. This beer tastes like it smells, balanced, with the taste of coffee and slight hints of chocolate. Best Coffee based beer I have had- I think this is The Saint Louis Brewery's greatest victory. The only problem is that this is a seasonal beer. I could drink this year around. Now if I can only get my employer to put this on tap next to the coffee pot! Prost!

Schlafly Coffee Stout from The Schlafly Tap Room