Schlafly Kölsch | The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room
Missouri, United States
schlafly.com

Style: Kölsch

Our Kölsch is a classic golden ale that uses a centuries old yeast strain sourced from a famous Kölsch brewer in Köln, Germany. Fermented at 62 degrees, then cold conditioned, it has the delicate fruity aroma of an ale with the crisp, clean finish of a lager. It is brewed with lightly roasted malt and 100% German Noble Hops: Perle for bitterness and Hallertau Traditional for flavor and aroma.

In 1918, the term Kölsch was used to describe the ale brewed in Köln, a city on the Rhine River in western Germany. The style began to rise in popularity in the 1960s and now, many American craft brewers brew variations of the style, labeling it a golden ale. Our Kölsch is unique to the Schlafly brewery because Ulrike, a native of Köln and wife of brewery co-founder Tom Schlafly, connected Schlafly Beer with the Gaffel Brewery of Köln. Schlafly Beer won the Gold Medal for Best German-style Kölsch in the World Beer Cup in 2010.

Added by Thrasher on 07-09-2002

2.58/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a clear golden color ale with a large white foamy head with good retention and some good lacing. Aroma consists of buttery notes with light cereal notes also discernible. Taste is also dominated by unrefined grainy notes with light buttery aftertaste. Body is about average with medium carbonation. Definitely not as good as most example of the style.

2.6/5  rDev -30.5%

2.7/5  rDev -27.8%

Skunky, overly fruity. I understand this is an American version of the German classic but what I think Kolsch this isn't what I expect. Took this a BJCP class to havae them judge and it got thrashed.
People compared it to Sam Adams Summer Ale.

2.72/5  rDev -27.3%

When poured into my glass, this beer poured virtually no head with fine sized bubbles that quickly dissipated.The body was clear and uncarbonated with a yellow hue.The nose was malty and hoppy with a medium bitter flavor.The mouthfeel was tingly and for the most part it was smooth.

2.74/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured into a perfect pint glass from Sam Adams

A-Very Very pale yellow with no head or lacing looks liek apple juice to be honest.

S-Nose is pretty delacate but sweet and grassy. Grains and a very small citrus note are noticeable.

T-Tastes like stale water...Has some light grain undertones with a hint of barely. There is a bitterness in the very back of the beer but I cant tell if it really has anything to do with the hops. refreshing beer but the small bitterness that lingers seems to defeat that pourpose as it feel like I need something else to drink.

M-Like stated above is like water very thin near no body at all

D-Dont see any reason why I would ever buy this beer again there are way to many refreshing beers that have far more to offer

2.78/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not alot going on here. Some macros are better.

2.9/5  rDev -22.5%

Unfortunately, this beer isn't close to being representative of the Kolsch style. It's not as nutty and dry as is representative of this style of beer, the beer I'm drinking also has significant hints of dicetyl taste and nose that are far too butterscotch tasting and smelling for Kolsch. It could just be the six pack I purchased. I would try it again on tap.

2.93/5  rDev -21.7%

From notes 4-29-09

Eye: Pretty much looks like a fizzy yellow beer, head retention might be better than most fizzy yellows though...at a thick blanket comparable to a layer of sod that covers raw earth...about the average size of a suburban yard (keep the proportion intact though). Really nothing special, average I guess.

Nose: The first thing that strikes me about this beer is an aroma I can't quite put my finger on but know to be off for the style. At first I think its a bit skunky, but that doesn't seem quite right. Next I'm thinking it smells like a fermenting mash, as in bourbon. In connection with that I'm also thinking use of adjunct, corn especially. Lastly I'm thinking that it could just be overhopped with some noble hops. Perhaps a bit vegetal as well. Some diacetyl. Its odd, instead of finding subtlties that are positive, I'm only finding negative aspects of this beer, all subtle though. It doesn't smell bad, but I can't find anything positive about the way it smells. Every subtle aroma seems out of place in my opinion.

Tongue: This is nothing like other Kolsch beers that I've drank. This is much less complex and much more flawed for what I perceive to be the style. Nothing herbal, and too much, well nothing going on. This tastes more like a cream ale. Buttery maltiness with some dry hop character that is noticeable but completely overthrown by diacetyl. This just seems off. Slight spiciness from hops. Really not much flavor. This isn't a bad beer but for the price I'd rather go somewhere else. Like I said, I think that this would be better off if Schlafly were to call it a cream ale or perhaps just a light golden ale. I really don't think that this one represents the style very well.

Feel and Drinkability: The label says its medium bodied, I think that thats a bit of a stretch..medium-light at most with enough carbonation to make it feel that way without a doubt. Body and carbonation work well for the way that this beer tastes. Finish is dry. This isn't one I'd pick up again, though I would drink it again if I didn't have to pay for it. Its not bad, but I really don't think that its anything close to a Kolsch style. Perhaps I might buy it if I wanted something real bland, but then the price on it...well I could get something far better for less.

Edit: The more I drink of this the less flaws I find with it and I find it to be exactly what the brewers were going for, dry with a wine like palate with some bitterness in the finish. This is one I'll definitely be coming back to in the near future. Till then the review must stand. I guess I will pick up a sixer after all. There's one for drinkability, intriguing.

2.98/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a short lived head. Body is pale and golden. Not too much carbonation. Smoot beer that goes down easy. One of schlafly's best beers in my opinion

2.99/5  rDev -20.1%