Schlafly Kölsch | The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room
Missouri, United States
schlafly.com

Style: Kölsch

Our Kölsch is a classic golden ale that uses a centuries old yeast strain sourced from a famous Kölsch brewer in Köln, Germany. Fermented at 62 degrees, then cold conditioned, it has the delicate fruity aroma of an ale with the crisp, clean finish of a lager. It is brewed with lightly roasted malt and 100% German Noble Hops: Perle for bitterness and Hallertau Traditional for flavor and aroma.

In 1918, the term Kölsch was used to describe the ale brewed in Köln, a city on the Rhine River in western Germany. The style began to rise in popularity in the 1960s and now, many American craft brewers brew variations of the style, labeling it a golden ale. Our Kölsch is unique to the Schlafly brewery because Ulrike, a native of Köln and wife of brewery co-founder Tom Schlafly, connected Schlafly Beer with the Gaffel Brewery of Köln. Schlafly Beer won the Gold Medal for Best German-style Kölsch in the World Beer Cup in 2010.

Added by Thrasher on 07-09-2002

3.44/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Samuel Adams glass. Bottled on 05/08/2013.

Pouring a slightly hazy yellow, this Kolsch is topped by a bone-white head of foam about a finger high. Nice, sudsy lacing left behind on the walls of the glass. A pretty nice-looking kolsch,.

Most noticeable on the nose is the whiff of citrus and lemon. Hop aromas come in the form of grassy/floral scents, and the malt presence, barely detectable shows up with a dry grainy aroma of barley. It smells nice, but for a kolsch, I expected a little more balance between the malt and the hops. I like that this is more driven by the hops, but it's a little drier than I would expect for the style.

The front of the palate is greeted with a taste of grainy malt with a bit of caramel as it goes into the middle of the tongue. There's a hint of bread as well as the beer transitions into a dry, bitter finish with flavors of lemon and grass. The yeast contributes a slight apple/banana quality. Quite pleasing and refreshing on the tongue, and very drinkable.

Pleasantly carbonated and light body with a dry finish make this a definite thirst-quencher and easy to put down a few. Finish isn't as clean as I would like it, but it's still very pleasant.

I was let down by Schlafly's hefeweizen, so I didn't have great expectations for this, but I was pleasantly surprised by the refreshment and good flavor of this. Great summer beer.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The beer comes in a clear straw golden color. It’s actually quite light and looks a bit like white wine with the clear yellow, slight tinge of green color.

The aroma, you get tons of honey, tons and tons of sweet sweet grains, corn, a gentle amount of lemon grass, there’s a spiciness in there too, like juniper, along with lemon and citrus.

The flavor has a pop of fresh grassy hops. There’s a bit of sweet honey and then a good bready malt that introduces itself shortly after that.

It finishes pretty clean with a bit of grass and earthiness. It’s slightly bitter and lingers for a bit, but it’s nice. It’s a bit stronger than that kolsch grass you may get from the traditional brews.

This really hits the traditional kolsch extremely well though. I haven’t really hard many American attempts at the beer, but this is up there with the brews that I’ve had in Cologne. A bit stronger on the bitterness and less sweet than the others, but very very nice.

3.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - A decent level of carbonation just a 1/4 inch that settles to a mild lace ring. Color is a nice bright yellow with a hint of orange. Semi hazy.
S - Smells nice sweet grains, some corn and lemon grass. Mild hop presence.
T - Kind of hoppy and grains a bit harsh at first but it really grows on you. Some wheat and somewhat dry. Tasty summer brew.
M - Light to medium drinks a touch heavy than other takes on the style I have had.

Overall far from perfect I still like Dundee's and Samuel Adams version better. It's still very delicious.

4.55/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Can I have another please? This was my first kölsch. I wish I could try an import but this company seems to have a pretty good reputation, so, without hesitation, I bought a sixer. I recently made a kölsch but had intended to try one before making it. In any case, I couldn't find it locally and my wife was in St. Louis where it's made and had one for me by proxy. She raved, I bought the ingredients and when she got home we cooked up a 5-gallon batch. It's still fermenting on it's second week and I can only dream of making such a nice brew.(It's happened before so I'm still dreaming!) We found the beer at the local liquor store and they remembered us from when we asked for it 6-weeks ago and were proud to deal it up from the icebox for us. It would be difficult to compete with this subtle light luxury lawnmower brew. I was going to bring the rest to my father-inlaws this weekend but I may just go buy them their own sixer. No sense in bringing them just three beers. I'll bring them the other, Goose Island Summertime Kölsch and will rate it in a few days. Go try this beer if you can find it.

Schlafly Kölsch from The Schlafly Tap Room