Schlafly Kölsch | The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly KölschSchlafly Kölsch

The Schlafly Tap Room
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Kölsch

Our Kölsch is a classic golden ale that uses a centuries old yeast strain sourced from a famous Kölsch brewer in Köln, Germany. Fermented at 62 degrees, then cold conditioned, it has the delicate fruity aroma of an ale with the crisp, clean finish of a lager. It is brewed with lightly roasted malt and 100% German Noble Hops: Perle for bitterness and Hallertau Traditional for flavor and aroma.

In 1918, the term Kölsch was used to describe the ale brewed in Köln, a city on the Rhine River in western Germany. The style began to rise in popularity in the 1960s and now, many American craft brewers brew variations of the style, labeling it a golden ale. Our Kölsch is unique to the Schlafly brewery because Ulrike, a native of Köln and wife of brewery co-founder Tom Schlafly, connected Schlafly Beer with the Gaffel Brewery of Köln. Schlafly Beer won the Gold Medal for Best German-style Kölsch in the World Beer Cup in 2010.

Added by Thrasher on 07-09-2002

Reviews: 218 | Ratings: 722
4.55/5  rDev +22%

12 ounce bottle into bicentennial Mason jar.

A: Hazy honey-straw color with a 2 finger white head. Decent head retention and lacing.

S: I love the lemony grain aroma. Grassy herbal hops and clover-honey.

T: I believe these types of brews are quickly becoming my favorite. I would have to say this beer reminds me of my favorite brew Landbier brewed by Brauerei Kapsreiter; however, the Landbeir is considered a German Pilsner, I think it tastes very Kolsch-like. In the Schlafly Kolsch I love how the malts and hops work together. This beer is more refreshing than lemonade. Grassy hops with some lemongrass notes ends with a nice tart dryness.

M: Light to medium with a nice bubblyness.

D: I almost didn't buy this because I wasn't expecting it to be so good. I'm glad I did. This beer is super refreshing and when summer breaks I will schedule a camping trip just so i can pack a case of these.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a Sam Adams BL glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with about a half inch white head. Head retention is decent, lacing is good. Aroma is grain, grapes, green apples, lemon and some floral hops. Taste is similar to the aroma, but with the grainy and lemon flavors being the strongest. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's crisp and clean with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and goes down easy. I think this is a decent overall brew, and not a bad choice as a session beer.

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

Nice clear, golden color, just slightly darker than a lager. Poured with a nice head. Not much of an aroma, although I do detect a little citrus. Very similar nose feel to a lager with malt and hop subleties pulling through. Taste is very malty, with a slight hoppy, citrus aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a bit lighter than I'm used to, and maybe a bit watery, but is perfect for warmer weather when you're looking for a good, smooth, refreshing, flavorful beer. Seems slightly under-carbonated to me (I wouldn't go so far as saying it's "flat"), but that doesn't ruin its appeal. Drinkability is very good. I could see myself easily throwing back several of these with no problem.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

On Tap at the Schlafly Bottle Works on Southwest Ave.

A - Pours a strong golden straw color. With a nice 2 finger head that is quick in leaving. Leaves a thin film if anything.

S - Smell of grains and fresh bread. With some hints of citrus fruit.

T - Taste of sweet bready malt wiht some citrus aftertaste from the hops. Some leafy character to it that is mild but appealing. Not much to this beer but a good Schlafly effort.

M - Light and thin with lower carbonation.

D - Very high

3.42/5  rDev -8.3%

Appearance- Nice light pour with a tiny bit of head. The colour is not the most appealing.

Aroma- Smells sweet and almost a bit orangy.

Taste- Light and well balanced. The hops compliment the citrus nicely. A bit watered down but fairly well balanced

Mouthfeel- Thinner then I would like but leaves a sweet taste on my tongue

Drinkability- Very enjoyable. Light and mildly carbonated making it an easy drink

2.74/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured into a perfect pint glass from Sam Adams

A-Very Very pale yellow with no head or lacing looks liek apple juice to be honest.

S-Nose is pretty delacate but sweet and grassy. Grains and a very small citrus note are noticeable.

T-Tastes like stale water...Has some light grain undertones with a hint of barely. There is a bitterness in the very back of the beer but I cant tell if it really has anything to do with the hops. refreshing beer but the small bitterness that lingers seems to defeat that pourpose as it feel like I need something else to drink.

M-Like stated above is like water very thin near no body at all

D-Dont see any reason why I would ever buy this beer again there are way to many refreshing beers that have far more to offer

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

A nice clear straw yellow with about 1 finger of white head on top. Smell is of muscat grapes and some citrus. A nice crisp flavor to it with more of that muscat taste. Some bread malt and lemon zest. A nice light mouthfeel that is quite refreshing. Not as dry in the finish as I would have liked, however. Drinkability is good. Goes down smooth and is real easy to drink.

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%

A. Pale golden color, finger+ length head.

N. Spicy smells, moderate/strong, interesting

T. No real individual standout tastes, little bit grainy, but overall solid.

M. Medium bodied, almost full. Very well balanced.

D. Could drink several in a row, especially in the summer.

Overall a solid, well crafted beer in my opinion.

4.09/5  rDev +9.7%

Inch thick white head that lasts very briefly leaving a light, nearly non-existant lacing.
A pure, golden color. Bright and clear appearance.
Crisp, light smell. Light floral.
Light, very crisp and carbonated mouthfeel. Easy to drink.
Malty. A little lemony and light peppery. Almost too crisp too taste an initial taste. Little sour on the back end.
In general, a good, easy drinking beer.

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Had 8/12/09 on tap at Schlafly Bottle Works in St. Louis
This beer pours a clear light yellow with a thin white bubbly head. Head receded rapidly on this beer leaving spotty lacing behind. Nose is grainy, some malts and a hint of lemon. Taste is grains and grassiness up front, moving in to a light but definitive malt bodied, in the finish there is a touch of lemon and pepper. Light to medium body, moderate carbonation, there is a clean crisp taste to this beer. If only Schalfy distributed to MA, this would FOR SURE be my summertime beer!

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from the bottle a slightly hazy lemon yellow color with a rich, foamy bright white head. Healthy lacing all around.

Aroma of earthy malts, lemon, and cloves.

The taste is bright lemon upfront followed by sweet grains, and a musty earthiness. Finishes clean with a hint of bitterness.

Lighter bodied, crisp and clean, and lightly carbonated.

An easy-drinking beer to enjoy in the summer months.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle

A- Pours a clearer golden pale yellow. Nice 1 finger fluffy white head that left nice lacing on the sides of the glass. Nothing to special about this beer but I expect that from a Kolsch.

S- Big malty smells upfront. Big bready smell along with some grassy lemony off tones to it. Some slight hop to this as well...light fruity citrus smell.

T- Big malty bready taste to this from the get go. Not a bad taste. The ending is more of a crisp hop bitterness to it. I keep getting a metalic aftertaste with this. It makes this beer not as good as it could be!

M- Light mouthfeel to this. Good clean carbonation is just enough to let the beer glide gently over the palate making for a easy drinker. Nice malty taste left on the tounge.

D- My only complaint about this Kolsch is the metalic tinge to it. Other than that this has been a very good tasting Kolsch. Not my favorite style by far but this was enjoyable.

3.89/5  rDev +4.3%

Light golden yellow color with a thinish line of foam, left quickly. Carbonation throughout the drink.
Smell of grain, just a hint of hops. Tastes great. Malt is a distinct flavor.
Tastes like a good German beer should.
A great addition to a hot summer day.

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle, nice label, bottled on date clearyl marked...this is about 4 months old

Appearance: Nice bright dark gold ber with a fluffy stark white head with good retention and nice steady carbonation

Smell: Nice, clean, German lager-like aroma...quite fruity, light grain, with light grassy hops

Taste: Mild tart fruitiness up front, very mild grain (almost like fresh popped plain popcorn), light hay, clean taste, just a bit sweet for me

Mouthfeel: Pretty nice medium body

Drinkability: Medium-medium high; this would be a good hot weather beer

Conclusion: All in all a pretty nice summer beer...it's clean, lightly fruity, and a bit grassy/hay-like...it's a bit sweet in my book but not bad.

3.41/5  rDev -8.6%

Malty aroma with very little hops. Brilliantly clear pale gold color. No head present. Good malt with biscuit like quality. Light mouthfeel with mild, earthy, hop bitterness. Finishes clean with some residual malt flavor. Very light and tasty; a good summer session beer.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks to jfeger for this beer in our trade!

Presentation: Poured from 12oz brown glass bottle into Duvel tulip.

A: This beer pours about 1 finger of head, dissipates more slowly than soda but not too much slower. A pale yellow this is true to the style, but the lacing on the glass makes it more special and raises its score.

S: Pretty straightforward, some slightly sour apple maybe, some sweet malt, spices, and light.

T: Quite good actuallly. Very crisp like a lager, but lacks the bad bitterness I associate with that style of beer. Some good spices, very refreshing, maybe a light citrus, slightly bittering hops which are welcome.

M: Carbonation and weight are really just average. Nothing special, but not bad.

D: Extremely high I could drink this all night. No aspect lingers in a bad way, and it's a well balanced beer. Nice kolsch!

A highly recommended summer beer. I'm not sure this beer does anything exceptionally well, but then for a summer thirst quencher it's superb. Since most lighter beers do falter I consider this to be a very fine example indeed! Seek this out in the hot months if you can get it.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Had on-tap at the Tap Room.

Pours a perfectly clear golden-straw color with a one-finger white head. The head dissipates into a patchy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of slighlty grassy aromas with good amounts of floral hops.

Tastes good. Grassy flavors are joined by solid malt flavors that are just sweet enough to keep the hop bitterness balanced. There's also a light spiciness that comes out right before the bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I could have a few of these on a warm day.

Overall this beer is pretty solid and one I would have again - worth a shot.

2.93/5  rDev -21.4%

From notes 4-29-09

Eye: Pretty much looks like a fizzy yellow beer, head retention might be better than most fizzy yellows though...at a thick blanket comparable to a layer of sod that covers raw earth...about the average size of a suburban yard (keep the proportion intact though). Really nothing special, average I guess.

Nose: The first thing that strikes me about this beer is an aroma I can't quite put my finger on but know to be off for the style. At first I think its a bit skunky, but that doesn't seem quite right. Next I'm thinking it smells like a fermenting mash, as in bourbon. In connection with that I'm also thinking use of adjunct, corn especially. Lastly I'm thinking that it could just be overhopped with some noble hops. Perhaps a bit vegetal as well. Some diacetyl. Its odd, instead of finding subtlties that are positive, I'm only finding negative aspects of this beer, all subtle though. It doesn't smell bad, but I can't find anything positive about the way it smells. Every subtle aroma seems out of place in my opinion.

Tongue: This is nothing like other Kolsch beers that I've drank. This is much less complex and much more flawed for what I perceive to be the style. Nothing herbal, and too much, well nothing going on. This tastes more like a cream ale. Buttery maltiness with some dry hop character that is noticeable but completely overthrown by diacetyl. This just seems off. Slight spiciness from hops. Really not much flavor. This isn't a bad beer but for the price I'd rather go somewhere else. Like I said, I think that this would be better off if Schlafly were to call it a cream ale or perhaps just a light golden ale. I really don't think that this one represents the style very well.

Feel and Drinkability: The label says its medium bodied, I think that thats a bit of a stretch..medium-light at most with enough carbonation to make it feel that way without a doubt. Body and carbonation work well for the way that this beer tastes. Finish is dry. This isn't one I'd pick up again, though I would drink it again if I didn't have to pay for it. Its not bad, but I really don't think that its anything close to a Kolsch style. Perhaps I might buy it if I wanted something real bland, but then the price on it...well I could get something far better for less.

Edit: The more I drink of this the less flaws I find with it and I find it to be exactly what the brewers were going for, dry with a wine like palate with some bitterness in the finish. This is one I'll definitely be coming back to in the near future. Till then the review must stand. I guess I will pick up a sixer after all. There's one for drinkability, intriguing.

3.28/5  rDev -12.1%

this is an interesting brew, it says ale, but thats the only ale characteristic that i see, it looks and tastes like a lager, but whatever semantics right?

anyway like before it looks like a lager, has a really nice golden hue to it with a big white head and laces a little too

smell is kinda funky, has a pungent stinky skunky aroma, really odd but not necessarily bad

taste is like the smell, but not as pungent, the skunkiness comes through but it is a very easy drinking beer.

not a bad brew, probably my first kolsch but who knows

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

bottled 3/27/09

pours clear golden with a with a 2 finger white head taht leaves slight lacing down the glass

smells of lemon grassy hops and cereal grains

taste is light sweet grains and lemons

mouthfeel is light creamy and good carbonation

drinkability is perfefect for the summer - i think the germans own the summer brews light and poundable

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

Bottle from Sean9689 as part of a DLD trade. The beer is pale yellow color, very clear, with a thick slab of rocky foam that laces onto the glass. The aroma is subdued but spot on, unassuming malt with some grass or musky funk. The taste is classic kolsch, balanced between lightly toasted malt and grassy hops. Very well done, this is my style for "sessioning", the highest possible standard of drinkability.

3.3/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle poured into pint glass

A- pours a hazy golden color with 1 finger frothy head and no visible lacing.

S- aromas of citrus lemons and noticeable hop characteristics.

T- Quite refreshing with lots of citrus

M- Light bodied

D- Drinkability is moderate, not the best tasting brew but quite refreshing on a hot afternoon.

3.74/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours an effervescent straw/gold with 1 inch of pearl colored head. Minimal head retention & lacing

S: Bready with grassy hops

T: Lemony & grassy hops, breadyness/crackery dryness up front. Slight green apple skins as this warms, plus more lemony hops. Finishes dry with more lemon & some grainyness

MF: Light bodied, effervescent & good balance

Pretty drinkable, could knock back 3 or 4 before moving on to heavier brews. Not the best shot at this style, could use more fruittyness. One to consider on a hot Summer's day or while watching the game...

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%

I really like is Kolsch offered by my local microbrewer, Schlafly. Pours light gold in color with a medium white head. Smell of malt, yeast, and cream. Taste is good, malts, yeast, and slight hops. Mouthfeel is perfect for this beer but nothing my "ideal" mouthfeel (ie. no 5.0), smooth, fresh, and light-medium in body. This is a great beer to enjoy during the summer months. I will def have some of this beer in the fridge to enjoy over the upcoming months.

3.58/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - This one is a slightly hazy peach color with a big rocky three finger white head. Head retention is outstanding, and lots of nice lace is left on the glass. This pretty beer looks like apricot juice topped with fluffy whipped cream.

S - Grainy with a hint of salt water and some spicy hops. Smells mellow, malty, and mild. Saltine cracker and whole grain cereal.

T - Salty crackers with some flavors oddly reminiscent of white cheddar cheez-its. Some really nice balanced hop notes follow the grain and an estery-fruitiness comes out towards the end. Nice.

M - Light bodied, refreshing, thirst quenching, and expressively carbonated. This has all the prerequisites for a summer time brew.

D - A good, but slightly boring Kolsch (not a style known for complexity anyhow). I could drink a million of these. I would buy something like this if I planned on drinking more than three or four beers... like at a wedding or a lake party. This is way better than a macro lager, but mild and bland enough to toss back with a quickness.

Schlafly Kölsch from The Schlafly Tap Room