Schlafly Pumpkin Ale | The Schlafly Tap Room

Missouri, United States
schlafly.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Our Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie. Pounds of pumpkin form a malty foundation that supports the fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

While pumpkin beers were produced in the early days of the American colonies, they were different from the pumpkin beers we know today. Colonists used pumpkin and squash as the fermenting medium, since malted barley was scarce. Once malt became more readily available, it replaced these alternatives to grain. In the 1990’s, American craft brewers reintroduced the style to the delight of pumpkin beer drinkers.

Added by maxpower on 09-16-2006

Ratings: 2,284 |  Reviews: 570

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

4.14/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Original on tap, re-review bottle dated 08/06/2014:
Pours auburn with no head retention (some head retention in bottle pour). Midway through drink, it looked more like a red wine or bourbon. The smell has berry and plum notes along with the pumpkin spice notes. On re-review, I have to add that the beer had a very nice pumpkin pie spice balance. I am not sure I get plum, but I do get some raisin, so not too different.

My first sips were enjoyable, even though the fruitiness noted in the nose was just as present in the taste. The fall spiciness was nice, pretty balanced without being over the top. There are some hints of dark fruit, and a light tartness in the end - almost like a squeeze of lemon was added to the grander taste for an accent.

Original:
As I sipped it more, it seemed to lose its effervescence and tasted more like it looked, like a fortified wine. Because it's "beeriness" faded, I rated it down. My initial tastes had me rating it about .5 higher. Maybe I had a glass from a bad keg. I will have to mark this for a re-try.

Re-review:
I might not have had the best available beer when I originally reviewed this. On my re-review, I am getting all of the good from the original review, and almost none of the bad. The beer is perhaps a little on the light side, but I think the pumpkin spice is perfectly balanced against a background of a familiar beer taste (dark fruit tones), with a light amount of carbonation, but definitely not the flatness I got in the first review. I actually bumped up my review over .5 on the re-review.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz bottle, bottle is dated 8/14/2013 (I assume this is bottling date. If this is the enjoy by date, the whole pumpkin-beers-in-the-summer angst just got even more ridiculous). Poured into an unlabeled snifter today, 10/7/2013.

Pours a dark brown-amber body, somewhat opaque and when illuminated, it becomes more of a dark burnt orange colour. Comes with a nice white head, around 1cm that looks substantial and slowly dissipates into a thick film and reasonably sized collar. Lacing comes up as the beer disappears, but slowly drops back into the collar. We got a great looking pumpkin beer here.

Smells like friggin' pumpkin pie mix. Tons of pumpkin spices balanced out by a nice bready malt backbone that reminds me of sweet potatoes. There's definitely nutmeg mixed with some cinnamon. Maybe some molasses or brown sugar-like sweetness on top of the bready malts. Phew!

Tastes just like pumpkin pie as well. Fall spices being some mixture of cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon are a bit less dominant throughout than in the nose, whereas the sweet potato-like bready malts shine a bit more. The spices do come back with a vengeance on the backend, but there is a mild bit of earthy bitterness that balances it out. Delicious.

Medium bodied, smooth, well-carbonated. Slight alcohol burn. Dessert-like beer that is sticky on the lips and palate.

Lip-smackingly good. One of the few pumpkin beers I've really enjoyed this year. This is up there with Good Gourd in terms of how much this smells and tastes like pumpkin pie. The smell is really something on this one. Highly recommend if you are interested in pumpkin beers and haven't tried this one yet.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

A-orange amber color with a decent cream colored head and little lacing

S-toasted malt, pumpkin, cinnamon, hint of brown sugar

T-pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, toasted malt, mild bitterness in the finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-solid pumpkin beer, but lacks depth of flavor and complexity of some others

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

The best pumpkin beer I have had....Hands Down. I Will admit I have only had a few different pumpkin beers some good some not so good. But I recommend this pumpkin brew for anyone who has not tried one as well as Veteran pumpkin boozers. Pick this up n stash it for later in the year.

4.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours with the expected color of amberish orange. It looks like pumpkin ale. The aroma is a nice pumpkin pie smell--not just all-spice but actual pumpkin too. It smells like pumpkin ale.
Flavor is a nice citrus or tangy finish after the spicy-sweetness of the first sip. A little clove and cinnamon but not too much. I just wish it where unfiltered. I had a tasted a home-brew years ago at a beer fest that was cloudy, almost chewy and tasted like liquefied pie. It rated a 4.5 to 5.

This is very good but not the greatest. An easy rating of 4 to 4.25 Very smooth and drinkable for 8% ABV.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

Finally! Ive wanted this pumpkin beer for a good while, so glad to be having this.
Bottle > Chimay glass.

A - Pours a nice dark orange color, thin and fizzy light tan head, no lacing.
S - Ohh my good lord, what an outstanding, aroma. This is the most balanced aroma of any pumpkin beer I've had. If you took a fresh pumpkin pie out of the oven and put it next to this, I wouldnt be able to tell the difference. Fresh baked crust, toasted caramel malts, pumpkin puree thats fresh, and a slight roasted pumpkin hint to it, traces of vanilla scattered through, fresh ground cinnamon and nutmeg.
T - Lots of fresh pumpkin flavor, baked. Sweet potato, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, some really nice tartness to it as well, almost like an apple, an underlying hop presence that is really good. The roasted traits take a back seat, and allow the main characters to take stage here. The tart fruitiness was unexpected, but makes a nice balance.
M - Crisp, and clean, creamy and lush without being anywhere close to boozy, in fact you can barely tell the 8% is there.
O - Incredible beer by all means, this and Alewerks take the trophy home for pumpkin beers this year, and probly all years to come. This lives up to expectations, and might even surprise you. I wish I would have bought more now.

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale from The Schlafly Tap Room