Schlafly Pumpkin Ale | The Schlafly Tap Room

Missouri, United States
schlafly.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Our Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie. Pounds of pumpkin form a malty foundation that supports the fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

While pumpkin beers were produced in the early days of the American colonies, they were different from the pumpkin beers we know today. Colonists used pumpkin and squash as the fermenting medium, since malted barley was scarce. Once malt became more readily available, it replaced these alternatives to grain. In the 1990’s, American craft brewers reintroduced the style to the delight of pumpkin beer drinkers.

Added by maxpower on 09-16-2006

Reviews: 557 | Ratings: 2,235
4.07/5  rDev -2.4%

Big thanks to the trader who sent me these, Bill right?

A- Fantastic butter-cream crust head formation, finger-height, with tons of little emulsive bubbles. It quickly devolves downwards, but it makes a showing of this at least. Simmers at about the half-finger mark and gives me time to enjoy the pumpkin orange body. Its not red, its not amber, it is pumpkin orange. It matches the label in hue with a gentle yellow mixed in.

Lots of singular bubbles make the journey from bottom to top to fuel the skin and minimal collar.

S- What a treat. The first pumpkin beer that really lets the clove stand out. Its very sweet on the opening, but halfway through the inhale you realize that pumpkin aroma is infused with something spicy that just isn't cinnamon and nutmeg this time. I find it amusing, as well as enjoyable, that the brewers would force the cinnamon nutmeg to take a backseat as the clove rides shotgun on this drive-by.

T- Opens spicy, very spicy even. The cinnamon and nutmeg are too close in flavor strikes to really give them credit as singular entities. They remind me of two glass slides, slick with water, stuck together.

The spiciness does fade as the sweetness of pumpkin erupts in the second verse. It is mild, but definitely a welcome change from the flavor missiles. The finish is interesting. It lets the pumpkin meander for a minute, but its more spice than anything else. You'd imagine its a recreation of the nutmeg and cinnamon, but it is predominantly clove with tints of sweet malty pumpkin.

M- Pretty decent body, nothing too full or too thin. Lots of carbonation on the mouthfeel, bordering annoyance. Leaves nice treats all over my lips and palate, so that is a definite bonus.

D- This is up there. If I had to pick five pumpkin beers off the top of my head as my favorites, this is in there. I may be forgetting one, but as of this moment I like this one. I would definitely drink it again. Goes down easy enough, the opening had some prickly alcohol problems, but they went away as the beer matured pretty quickly so I felt them unnecessary to note. It isn't like other breweries openings where you want to smack them.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

The beer pours a deep, clear orange, almost brown color into my snifter. An off-white head of foam exists that dissipates down to a very thin head.

The smell is very spicy-the usual suspects: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and a very sweet something, possibly caramel.

The taste is sweet up-front, and the spices follow after. A slight bitterness, interestingly enough, lingers in my mouth after swallowing. Also a touch of fruitiness.

Mouthfeel is soft and creamy. Some carbonation.

A very drinkable beer. Does not taste like 8%, and each sip invites me to have another. Very impressive, and it's too bad I cannot get it when I'm in Chicago.

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%

A thin head after pouring this dark copper brew into my mug. The aromas come pouring out from the start. Pumpkin pie all the way....the cinnamon, nutmeg, spice and pumpkin are quite evident. The taste, like the smell, is pure pumpkin pie in a glass. Outstading flavor profile that balance nicely with the crispness of the hops at the end of your sip. The high ABV is barely noticable and the great balance of flavors make this a session a beer in my opinion. Easily my favorite pumpkin offering of the season!

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

I got this beer in a trade with Tilley4. Thanks Jason!

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - hazed orange/rust color with a creamy beige head that stayed a thin layer leaving speckled lacing.

S - the pumpkin pie aroma jumps up your nose.

T - pumpkin pie in a glass.

F - medium/full bodied with a creamy feel.

D - although it is quite tasty, just one is fine...
but then again I can usually only eat just one slice of pumpkin pie too.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Label introduces me to the following quote:
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself,
then be crowded on a velvet cushion."
- Henry David Thoreau

I like this Ale already.

Served in a 12 oz. brown bottle and poured into a Samuel Adams Turbonator -- silver anniversary edition. Pours an antique brass with a generous two-finger head that fades to a slim rimming of foam. Aromas of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice and caramel malt.

Amazing opening: authentic pumpkin pie flavor and nothing artificial about it. A blast of cinnamon is soon surrounded by waves of gingerbread, brown sugar, caramel and cloves. Sweet malt backbone is held in check by assertive bittering hops on the back end. Thin to medium-bodied; slick and creamy with expressive carbonation.

Smooth, artfully balanced, expertly spiced and rewardingly drinkable, Schlafly may well be my fave pumpkin harvest of the season.

Shout out to Jeff for bringing this back from St. Louis.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured a clear orange/ copper with a small off-white head with very little retention.
Aroma dominated by the pumpkin with a hint of cinnamon spice.
The taste was , yes very dominated by the pumpkin with cinnamon and a hint of clove. Very sweet, just like drinking a piece of pumpkin pie without the whipped cream.
Mouthfeel was very smooth and creamy, a light towards medium body. The alcohol was well hidden, which was surprising at 8% ABV.
This was a nice festive beer for the fall, just a little too sweet for my taste.

3.84/5  rDev -7.9%

12 oz bottle, bottled on 08/24/10. Pours a clear amber color. White fizzy head disappears almost immediately.

Some vegetable, pumpkin-like aroma. Cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe allspice. Caramel malt. Not much in the way of hops.

A good malty backbone to this one. A good dose of spices, without being overwhelming. Cinnamon and nutmeg seem to stand out. A little sweetness stands out after the spices, however it dries out closer to the end. A hint of a pumpkin pie, but slightly lacking here.

Lighter body, with too much carbonation. A bit of alcohol is felt. This was a little lacking for me, but it wasn't overspiced as many are. Also, there is a good malt character here as well. Worth trying.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks to Dave P for bringing a bottle of this back from his hometown of St. Louis. It poured a hazelnut in color with a off white/khaki head. It smells very richly of cinnamon and also has a good deal of nutmeg and other spices. It also has some light roasted malt aromas. The taste is pretty spectacular. The pumpkin and cinnamon are upfront followed by the nutmeg, maltiness, and other spices. It is a little sweet but more alcoholic than most pumpkin beers. It begins smooth and finishes with a crisp tingle of carbonation. It's a very, very good pumpkin beer. It's probably put it right up there with the DFH Punkin, and light years ahead of Pumking. Excellent pumpkin beer by Schlafly!

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

12oz bottle into pint glass

A: Dark hazy copper color, about a finger & a half of yellowish head, that fell quickly and settled to a nice ring with little lacing.

S: Wow, it is like pumpkin pie in a bottle.... Strong cinnamon & nutmeg right up front.

T: Just like the smell... cinnamon and nutmeg up front, with touches of pumpkin and clove. Overall sweet and spicy... Not much of an aftertaste, but there is a little alcohol burn at the end.

M: Med bodied, not as heavy as I was expecting... Overall feel is creamy and smooth. Good level of carbonation.

D: Great flavors here, great smells here.... Sit back and enjoy kind of brew.

Reminds you of the holidays.... very much worth looking for....

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up in KC-MO on a Giants road trip. Let sit from October through August. Would only say the taste improved in that time. Easily my favorite pumpkin, and have had well over 15 assortments. The clove would have to be Schlafly's clinching note to put this at the top. Such a mouthfeel - warm, whole and entirely perfect for winter really. Finishes long and lingers. Solid head throughout, medium amber body. Pick it up were you to find it. Can't say there's a better pumpkin..yet.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

I'm not a big fan of pumpkin, but I'm going to review it to style, not preference.

Dark honey in color, thin tan head. It's pretty much what a good pumpkin ale should look like.

Smell is loaded with spice, breadyness, nutmeg, sugary cinnamon.
Smells like a pumpkin fruitcake.

Taste is much of the same. It's really like a fruity, pumpkin bread loaded with spices and cinnamon.

Feel is slightly creamy, slight upper-light in body.

The drinkability is above average, but I think pumpkin beers don't make a good session beer, and the spiced-ness is best in small doses.

Though not my thing really, this is a pretty excellent pumpkin beer for what its worth.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into Standard Pint Glass, Clear.

A - Copper orange color. No haze at all, can see right through it. Super thin head when poured, but dissipates very quickly leaving almost nothing on top of the beer.

S - Remembering this is a pumpkin beer, thats all you get. Not bad, but not much else. Possibly some clove, cinnamon and a slight tinge of honey, but 99% pure pumpkin.

T - Kind of sweet, but I guess that's to be expected. Definitely pumpkin, but more complex than I thought it would be. Nutmeg, cinnamon, clove spice, a some berries that I didn't detect in the nose at all. The berries are some of the sweetness that I didn't see coming, and it's quite a nice surprise. Nice bitter hoppy finish, but nothing too strong. The base amber would be quite good on it's own, but the pumpkin aspect makes this one a real winner.

M - Going to have to say this is one of my favorite parts of this beer. Carbonation lets you really taste it, without tearing your pallet. ABV is extremely well hidden, and I would have guessed 4.5-6%, but no where near 8. Mouth full of pumpkin pie and then a bitterness right at the back of your throat.

D - Pumpkin beers get a bad wrap, but I think if people gave some of the better ones a try, things could change. I normally don't like a "pumpkin pie" beer, but this one is well done, and will be drinking it all fall, or at least until I run out.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance: This pumpkin ale pours a clear rusted orange color with 3 fingers of light tan head. It reduces down fairly quickly and ends up with just a small amount of lacing.

Smell: Pumpkin spices, as well as nutmeg and all spice. Some very distinct floral hop notes as well.

Taste: Mmm....very similar to pumpkin pie. Cinnamon and nutmeg, with some nice floral hops at the end. Due to becoming preoccupied I let this beer warm up quite a bit as I was drinking it, and honestly it got twice as good when it was warmer. The spices were really allowed to come out as the beer warmed.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium mouthfeel, a bit lighter than I was expecting considering the 8% ABV. Also, there was maybe a bit too much carbonation but the beer was pretty smooth overall.

Drinkability: This beer does taste really good, and it hides the alcohol extremely well. It's definitely an awesome beer to sip on during the autumn season. Potentially dangerous because I'm sure the alcohol will creep up on you pretty quickly.

4.67/5  rDev +12%

I've tried a lot of pumpkin ales. This is by far my favorite to date (and remains so after drinking it for the 2nd year in a row). Really amazing....

A: Poured into a crystal beer mug. Has a dark reddish orange color. Looks exactly like I would expect an autumn ale/pumpkin ale to look like. It just has that fall "hue" about it.

S: Definitely get the cinnamon and nutmeg. Lots of pumpkin too and a little brown sugar. Smells like "fall in a glass." The sweetness comes through as well, complimented nicely by the faint hints of malt. I can't keep my nose out of the glass!!

T: This is the kicker: best tasting pumpkin ale I've ever had. Sweet...but not too sweet. Cinnamony...but not too much so. Nutmegy...just enough. I just sat outside on my deck on what is so far the coolest night of the year and this beer made me feel like fall had finally arrived. Lots of brown sugar too. Mild hops. Lots of malt. Tastes like they stuffed a pumpkin pie in a blender, added some alcohol, and poured it into my glass (which is exactly what I want in a pumpkin ale).

M: Easy drinker. ABV well hidden. Goes down smoothly.

D: As much as I love it, I think 2 at a time would probably be my limit. Definitely one to be "savored." Plus, I have been drinking it primarily as a "dessert" beer or just on its own so after about two I'm good to go.

All in all an outstanding pumpkin ale. Highly recommended. SO happy that I have access to it every fall!!

3.84/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into my flying dog pint glass.

Pours into a deep amber color with a one finger head that leaves a lace down the glass as you drink it.

Has a very strong smell, very distinctive, smells like pumpkin pie. Pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Has a strong carbonation taste that is a tad on the strong side. I could also taste the alcohol in it. Has a very good taste, just like Pumpkin Pie.

Mouthfeel is medium at best.

Has limited drinkability because of the strength of the alcohol and the strength of the pumpkin taste.

This would make a great beer with a dessert but can't pound many of them because of the combination of the taste and alcohol content.

3.43/5  rDev -17.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Yazoo pint glass.

A: Poured a deep amber/orange color with a great, one finger tan head. Very aesthetically pleasing and inviting.

S: Very distinct aroma, smells like pumpkin pie and autumn. Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg.

T: Good taste, tastes like pumpkin pie (my favorite dessert) with a touch of alcohol and some malts and floral hops to finish.

M: A lot of carbonation but it's not overpowering. Medium bodied with a clean finish.

D: Very drinkable, doesn't seem like it is 8% ABV.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. It's a great autumn offering and one I'd drink again, but not the best thing I've ever had.

3.37/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep orange-ish brown color. Maybe an inch of head that disappears quickly with no lace at all.

S: The aroma of this beer hits you like a ton of bricks. You don't even have to get your nose close to it to smell cinnamon, allspice and pumpkin. Outstanding.

T: Really a letdown after such an intense aroma. There's just not a whole lot going on. It's sweet, you can still taste the pumpkin and the spices, but there's not much beer to back it up: no hops, nothing to balance out the sweet spices. The whole flavor just kind of falls flat. Can really taste the alcohol, too. This just isn't a very well balanced beer in any way.

M: Pretty good mouthfeel, some nice carbonation, goes down smooth. The alcohol really sticks in the back of my throat, which is unusual for a beer, but not entirely unpleasant.

D: Definitely easy to drink. Hard to miss the alcohol. I would drink one if someone offered it to me, but I wouldn't buy it because I don't think it's worth the price.

I always have high hopes for fall seasonals, but very few live up to my expectations. Coming out of the bottle this looks and smells great, it just doesn't deliver on the flavor.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured a darkish orange with decent head but no lace. A wonderful sweet aroma of caramel and nutmeg spice smell along with some spicy pepper and cinnamon as the obvious pumpkin. A thinner body than expected with a good pumpkin base for taste. Smooth and easy to drink, the sweet caramel and nutmeg spice are clearly evident but perhaps the only drawback of this beer to me is that the spices and clove are laid on a little thick and dominate the finish, giving off a slighly sour hop feel which is a drag considering the nice balance the pumpkin/sweetness and spices have up front. A very good pumpkin beer but not at the top in my opinion.

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

12 oz bottle poured into big BN army glass

A- Dark reddish orange color with a decent head.

S- very light spice notes, but in general not much on the nose.

T- Sweet and spicy in nice balance. This is pumpkin pie all around.

M- full bodied and very smooth and creamy

D- The sweet and spice characters are well balanced and certainly does not drink like an 8% beer. Drink with caution!

This is a great pumpkin beer if you like the style. Full bodied with great flavor. Well done, Schlafly!

3.94/5  rDev -5.5%

This beer pours a dark amber with a thin kaki head that dissipates quickly leaving almost no lacing.

The aroma has some strong nutmeg notes with a little clove. A great pumkin pie aroma.

The flavor has a good full malt profile adding some sweetness to a cinnamon and nutmeg flavor. The cinnamon seems to hide in the maltiness offsetting it just like hops.

The mouthfeel is a nice and round and rolls over the tongue with little effort.

This is a nice balance drinkable beer with a good spice flavor but an obvious beer as well.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Pretty amber color, clear with a one finger head that dissipates quickly but leaves thin but good lacing.

Smells like a pumpkin pie. Spices, pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slightly grainy smell.

Very tasty. Needs cool whip. Very enjoyable blend of spices, pumpkin, and just good ol' beer goodness. Tasted a little better on tap, but still very good.

Nice feel. Slick, wet and moderately carbonated. Not very bitter, but the aftertaste lingers oh so nicely with a spicy slick feel.

In bottles, and for pumpkin ales, this one rocks. I have yet to find a pumpkin this good that's this affordable (or even available).

And I do love pumpkins.

4.01/5  rDev -3.8%

Very deep amber color. Perfectly clear. Pours a mellow off white head that dissipates very quickly.

Very spicy smells nutmeg and cinnamon maybe a little vanilla. Reminds me of a baking pumpkin pie.

The taste is reminiscent of the smell. The spices are big here. I don't know if I actually detect pumpkin, but the spices are amazingly well done. Smooth vanilla rolls down the tongue as a hoppy nutmeg infusion fades to a crisp alcohol and cinnamon zing.

There's a good amount of carbonation to lift the spices, but not too much. A little more think maltiness may of made the mouthfeel a little creamier, but the lightness is nice too.

The flavors and alcohol are superbly done, but a little much for the drinkability.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Thanks to great trader birchstick for this one. A very good looking rich amber with frothy light tan head. Aroma is rich, sweet, spicy and nutty. Flavor is on the sweet side, but has great pumpkin flavor with a bunch of spice. Just like pie! Where's my cool whip? abv is well masked too.

3.76/5  rDev -9.8%

12oz bottle, goblet, 'Bottled with love on 08 23 2010'.

Deep bronzy orange. The head wasn't bad when poured, but faded just about completely. While nothing is wrong with the way this beer looks, it is unimpressive. Before taking a whiff this beer could pass as an amber with a crappy head.

The nose is candy corn, pumpkin pie, spiced cider, with the sharpness of clove and the roundness of nutmeg being individual aromas. I'm reminded of powdered spiced cider mixes. There is no heat, but the alcohol lurking in the background prevents over-sweetness.

And it is not all that sweet. The flavor gives more of a sense of pumpkin itself. That deep squash flavor is nutty and augmented with brown sugar, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. I still get a little apple cider and again there is obviously alcohol lurking.

The mouth is cidery. It seems like there was no reason other than the marketability and desire for quicker inebriation for the 8% ABV in this beer.

This would probably pair well with Thanksgiving dinner. In fact, I may save one or two for the occasion. For the most part this will fulfill expectations of a pumpkin pie-like beer without being very sweet at all.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

a: shaker pint, deep amber in color, dark maple syrup appearance with some orange hues, low head and retention

s: loads of brown sugars, caramel malts, pie spice - cinnamon and clove, sweet, rich pumpkin pie - smells great

m: heavy, slick body with a low level of carbonation

t: heavy caramel malts, brown sugar, trio of pie spice - nutmeg at the front with clove and cinnamon after, creamy squash, sweet and thick with pumpkin pie flavor

d: one of the top pumpkins out there, certainly a sipper, but by nature - more suitable for dessert application than a regular drinker

pint at the Galaxy Hut, Arlington, VA