Schlafly Oatmeal Stout | The Schlafly Tap Room

good
good
Read the review
Schlafly Oatmeal StoutSchlafly Oatmeal Stout

The Schlafly Tap Room
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Our Oatmeal Stout is a classic British-style stout brewed with flaked oatmeal and roasted barley. Freshly-roasted coffee beans, cocoa and touches of raisin and dried fruit dominate the aroma of this super dark ale. The richness of the grain blend is balanced by the nutty character of the roasted malt, the creaminess from the oatmeal flakes and a dose of hops.

Before the 19th century, all barley was malted over wood-fired kilns and the resulting dark roasted malt defined the browns, porters, and stouts of England. Near the end of the 19th century, brewers had introduced oats for their purported restorative and nourishing characteristics, producing beers such as oatmeal stout and milk stout. By the 1950’s, Oatmeal Stout had nearly trickled out of existence. Following the beer’s literary rebirth in the articles of English beer writer Michael Jackson in the 1970’s, British and American craft brewers are once again promoting the style.

Added by maxpower on 07-09-2002

Reviews: 256 | Ratings: 714
4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance - no light getting through any part of the Belgian glass. A thick finger of light tan foam holds at a partial cover, leaving dotted lace behind.

Aroma - good roasted crystal malt nose, a robust grain staying around after things settle.

Taste - a good roasty level, minimal char. Not very intense but quite flavorful. Solid espresso notes, just a touch of burnt flavor, rather nice!

Mouthfeel - even, smooth, average body, right on. Carbonation is up there.

Drinkability -a most sessionable stout. Not overly filling but very tasty.

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

This beer poured with a thin head, and caramel color.

Aroma is sweet, caramelly, and porter-like.

Mouth-feel is thick but not creamy, tasting a little of cocoa, a little sweet, and finishing rather bitter. This beer was incredibly fizzy for a stout as well.

As we drank this beer, I thought it was a little strong for the style - a little research on BA shows that it is 5.7% ABV.

Its ok, but with better oatmeal stouts available, I wouldn't buy it again.

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to unclejedi for sending this one my way. Poured from a 12oz. brown bottle into my shaker "pint" glass. Appears a dark translucent brown color with about two fingers of bubbly, dark tan foam. Smells of roasted grains, coffee and a touch of sweetness. Tastes of lightly roasted coffee, and a hint of bittersweet cocoa. Medium in both body and carbonation. A pretty tasty example and one I'm glad I was able to try.

3.63/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle

have had this many times, and as is my last bottle until another trip to MO, I suppose I should review it.
pours a nearly black color, with a half inch of tan head. Decent retention. Random patterns of lace spot the glass here and there.

nose is a little lighter than desired. A little sweet, but with a fleeting roasted aroma and more coffee than expected (well, at least more than expected the first time - after this many times, I am hardly surprised by it!)
There is quite a bit of flavor here, but I find myself short of satisfied. Some earthy and even smoked malt flavors here. Nutty and some chocolate. Very lightly bitter, and subdued carmelized sugar sweetness. This is tasty, although maybe a touch below the residual sweetness I have expected from an oatmeal stout.

A little drying in the finish, and just short of the silkiness I have come to expect from the style. Pleasant carbonation on the low side, but the body feels a bit thin - too bad, as with the full flavors of this beer I think it could be very good with a little more to it.
Not available locally, and I never make a special trip for it, but I could session this oatmeal stout. If at the Taproom, I probably would session this stout. Haven't experienced it on cask, but can't wait to do so.

3.41/5  rDev -6.1%

A - Nice pitch black with a huge billowy light tan head.
S - light roasted barley malt with an underlying hint of oatmeal sweetness.
T - similar to the nose but with a bit of a chocolate note rounding out the brew.
M - medium bodied, nicely carbonated, smooth.
D - Nice with a barbeque chicken and potato dish.

A respectable local stout when in the area.

3.71/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz brown bottle with a bottled on date. Good amount of tan head that drops a stick lace on the glass. Pitch black more or less, dark enough to not let the light through. Aroma of soft charcoal and silky oats. Full bodied with a smooth and creamy dextrin mouth feel. Slight roasted character that grows to a streamlined char flavor. Mild hop bitterness plays off of the oat sweetness. Good malt base with a faint yeast and fruity note. Finishes semi-sweet, this one is an obvious chocolate pairing. Not bad at all, above average compared to the rest.

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to Vancer for this brew.

Pours a nice clean/clear dark brown color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, leaves some nice sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is of sweet malts, and caramel. The taste is nice sweet malts, and caramel. Light-Medium body. Very drinkable, a nice little oatmeal stout.

3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz. bottle, bottled on Sep 19 2006. Very dark brown in color with only slight ruby edges. Thick tan head, which holds together well. Roasty aroma, a bit of chocolate, caramel, and fruit. Roasty flavor, but not very strong, or bitter. Hints of vinous fruits. Pretty smooth. Seems thin and a bit watery. Dry finish, with just a touch of bittersweet chocolate. A few scattered patches of lace are left on the glass near the end. Flavors seem very weak and mild in this one, which could make it a session ber, but not very exciting. Rather disappointing to me.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

pours an insanely dark black, barely any light can be seen through it, the head is thick and frothy and remains for the life of the beer, smells like rich coffee, maltiness is very apparent, only hops i can detect smell spicy. tastes is complex, chocolate, toffee, malt are mixed together, the longer i let it sit in my mouth, the more chocolate i taste. very good beer for a winter night, but not something i'd want to drink at a bbq.

3.48/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a five finger head that fades slowly to thin layer leaving some lace. Deep mahogany color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Roasted coffee nose. Starts sweet roasted coffee/chocolate flavor some bitterness at finish. Little thin for a oatmeal stout. 12 oz bottle part of mixed 6-pak for $7.99 from Friar Tuck's Peoria, Il.

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

Served in a pint glass, the beer pours dark brown with an inch tan head. There's also a good amount of lacing on the glass after drinking the beer. It smells like roasted malt, oatmeal and coffee. It tastes pretty much the same to me, except that it starts out with malty/oatmeal sweetness, and then has a bitter coffee-like finish. The mouthfeel is on the medium side, but creamy. The drinkability is good too, this is a smooth beer that's easy to drink. Overall I think this is a decent beer. It's not the best stout I've had, but it's certainly drinkable and I would buy it again.

3.57/5  rDev -1.7%

Well brewed beer, but a little timid--caught somewhere between a porter and a stout. The roasted malts add character and depth, but still allow the base malt sweetness to pronounce. The color is dark, but not opaque, and has a light head retention, carbonation, and lacing. The dark grains and light hopping rates give a complex bittering, but lightness with the oats never rounds the beer out properly. Though light and drinkable in the body, the smoothness and slickness doesn't show. Thins a bit toward the finish, but a nice drinkable beer nevertheless. Thanks again Beer Dave.

3.11/5  rDev -14.3%

S - 12 oz. Bottled with love on Aug. 09, 2006.

A - Pours a deep brown with hints of deep deep red around the edges. Head is about 2 fingers at first and takes about 5 minutes to get down to a thin unbroken layer covering the surface.

S - malty, caramel, roastiness, hints of coffee that arent overwhelming, slight sour note. Hint of fruit, something like plum or some other darker fruit. Not bad besides the sour hit, which was pretty offsetting, at first smell I thought I smelled hot dog too? I dont know, it went away after a few seconds, maybe a fluke.

T - Malty sweetness, little fruity note, prominent coffee character, a nice finish with slight hoppy bitterness. Caramel also makes an appearance but isnt that significant. Really not that impressed. Average to below average.

M - A little watery for an oatmeal stout. Expected it to be creamy but it was much more watery than that. Wasn't that impressed, pretty average.

D - Considering the lightness of this stout, I would say you could easily down a sixer of these no problem besides the taste flaws that may stunt that. Decent beer at best, overall.

3.06/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The first thing you notice upon pouring this beer is just how dark it is. Almost black, there is no transparency through the glass. The head is dense and rocky that was about 2" thick. It took a while for it to dissipate to finger-width, and then lingered to a thin lace. Not much smell, but what is there is nice and faint. It doesn't smack you in the face like many other brews. The taste left me a little dissapointed. At first, there is a nice oatmeal sweetness, but once that fades there is a very strong taste of unsweetened coffee - which I don't like. The mouthfeel is on the thin side, but it has a nice coating. Drinkability is high if you like the taste of coffee, but if you don't it is very hard to drink just one. I made that mistake.

I'm sure there are much better stouts out there.

3.92/5  rDev +8%

Pours a mostly-opaque black color with a cocoa head that is impressive. Delicate lacing in the pint glass. Nose is of sweet chocolate, mocha, and oat bread. Palate is on the sweet side up front, then finished a bit drier. Good round mouthfeel and perfect carbonation. Hop backbone balances this beer nicely. Everything a good, standard ooatmeal stout ought to be. One of my favorites from Schlafly.

3.47/5  rDev -4.4%

This stout pours the darkest shade of brown bordering on black and has a very slight amber hue around the edges when held up to the light. 1/2 finger creamy head fades to a haze of smoke over the brew.

The nose is sweet, rich, creamy, and very bready...but not thick. I smell cola and rootbeer along with a deep red fruit. Maybe a bit like cherry cola. Also a bit of vinous grape is evident.

Tastes dark and smokey at first, then...salty roasted meat, whole grain breads, oatmeal. This really tastes alot different than it smells. IMO a bit to salty and overly bitter for the style.

I enjoyed the aromas much more than the taste, and IMO the carbonation is a little overdone. This is really not very smooth or creamy for an oatmeal stout.

Oddly enough my girlfriend, who (like alot of non-BA's) has "dark beer fear," really liked this one. That kind of suprised me. Overall, I don't think I would come back to this one as there are much better oatmeal's out there.

3.09/5  rDev -14.9%

I had this fresh from the Schlafly brewery aka The Tap Room. It poured w/ a foamy head and was a deep black liquid. I took a deep breath and it smelled light, very little smell. It is highly carbonated though, reminded me of a pepsi for a moment. The taste is mild, i've had much better oatmeal stouts. I would drink it again, but it didn't win me over like I had hoped. It had the aftertaste of coffee grinds, overall I was a bit disappointed. As you can see from my rating above...

3.49/5  rDev -3.9%

Had a pint at "The St. Louis Brewery."

Roasty and yeasty but has a bit of a "sour" aroma. Not a Guiness sour, but kind of an unpleasant nose.

Deep black with a thick lasting head that leaves nice lacing as I drank it.

Very sweet and malty flavor. There's a little bit of roast and some toffee flavors as if lots of darker crystal malts are used. Hop bitterness comes through strong on the back end but the overall impression is dark malts.

Full bodied and creamy with good delicate carbonation.

Overall a pretty nice easy drinking stout.

2.48/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured from a brown bottle with a weathered-looking yellow label.

A: Poured with a fairly small head. Dense and tan. The beer itself is a dark brown. Almost like a very dark root beer. Still allows quite a bit more light through it that I would have expected. Head dissipates quickly. No lacing.

S: Smells of sulphur. Metal smelling as well. Certainly sour, but not pronounced.

T: Roasty flavor with a touch of acidity initially. Has some chocolate tones, but rather than becoming sweet and rich, it turns somewhat salty and has aspects of watered-down beef bullion. Does finish bitter, but also on the salty side.

M: Not only a lot thinner and with less body than I was anticipating, but the carbonation is much more pronounced and distractingly prickly.

Overall: I though I might have picked up a bad bottle, but from reading some of the other reviews of this beer I'm not so sure that I did. In drinking this I'm wondering where the smoothness is. Where's the sweet and full flavor? This bears a lot more resemblance to a lager than an oatmeal stout. It's not that the beer is necessarily bad, but for the style it really misses the mark by a mile and that's what my scoring reflects.

3.24/5  rDev -10.7%

Local grocery store started carrying Schlafly beer so I thought I would give it a try.

A: Poured into a tulip glass. Black like a stout should be. Slight reddish tint on the edge. I couldn't get a very big head on it, and it went away quickly. On my second bottle I did a hard pour and the head still disapated quickly. It did maintain some nice lacing though.

S: for the life of me, I couldn't get much aroma from it. The was a slight, slight hops bitterness and just a twinge of sweetness. My wife laughed at me because I had face buried into the tulip glass to get something. It didn't smell bad, it just didn't have much.

T: Very standard stout flavor. More bitter than sweet. Nothing really stands out. I think this would be better served with a meal.

M: Mouthfeel does stand out. Very smooth, almost silky. Not over-carbonated.

D: Overall, this is a pretty standard stout. You drink one and it's "Yup, that's a stout." I doubt I'll buy another 6er, but I might try it again if I eat at one of the Schlafly brewpubs the next time I'm in St Louis

3.61/5  rDev -0.6%

Stark onyx. Nearly bleached white head. Fine lace vertibrates preen against the glass.

Nose is metallic, acridly roasty with an almost hazelnut impression.

All negatives of the aroma seem to disappear on the tongue. A well-balanced stout, not noticably dissonant in anyway.

Velvet silk mouthfeel, this goes down pretty easy. Great session contender, but nothing shockingly awesome. Seems to have a great deal of conversion potential as well.

3.51/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle freshly delivered from the St. Louis brewery by my wife's mother.

Appearance: Tiny to medium sized bubbles pack a one finger high khaki/tan head. Carbonation bubbles quickly rise to the surface. It pours a deep, dark amber, almost black. I cannot see my hand behind the glass. Slight lacing traces its way down the glass as it is consumed.

Smell: Roasted, fresh malt. Slightly sweet hints.

Taste: Roasted malt. Hints of coffee, charcoal. Missing the smooth oatmeal that I expected and remember from previous bottles. Drying hop notes in the finish, more bitter than expected.

Mouthfeel: Small popping carbonation on the tongue. Surprisingly thin, as if something were left out. Like the oatmeal.

Drinkability: This is an average beer, not fantastic. I enjoy it, but feel that it is not a great representation of the style. If you are looking for oatmeal smoothness, it is not here. I could drink a few of these, but if I was looking for an oatmeal stout, I'd have to keep looking.

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark reddish brown with tan head and some lace on the fest glass.
Aroma was weak malt.

Flavors were of sweet caramel malts and some hints of chocolate and coffee, little oatmeal. Medium body and mouthfeel lower carbonation (cask conditioned).

Bitterness from roasted barley somewhat smoothed by flaked oats but not as rich as expected. I am wondering if this truely is the base for their Kaldi Coffee Stout. Had to believe that the cold coffee toddy adds so much more complexity.

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%

Almost opaque, dark walnut brown with a lot of maroon in the mix when backlit. All stouts should be opaque. Period. The head is lightly toasted tan in color, has some substance to it and stays around for a while. There's an acceptable amount of lace, no more.

The nose is weakly roasted barley-like with the barest hint of cocoa and nuts. It's simple and is about as deep and rich as the color. I'm beginning to think that Schlafly bottled a porter and mislabled it as a stout. It isn't bad exactly, but it sure doesn't smell like the stated style.

Things improve a little on the palate. Like the nose, though, the flavor is a mite too muffled. This is one of the lightest, least hearty stouts that I've had in a while, but it's far from the worst. There's a pleasant dark maltiness with weak chocolate, weaker coffee and (surprise!) a touch of citrusy hops.

Just when things start to get interesting, the light mouthfeel makes sure the flavor is washed off the tongue like a squeegee across a windshield. Even though SOS is more porter-like than stout-like in the mouth, I suppose it snags the bottom rung of the style ladder. An understated bitterness lingers, conjuring up comparisons to an Irish dry stout.

Schlafly Oatmeal Stout isn't a total loss, although it's a mere shadow of the beer that it could be if more malt had been utilized. The skeleton is there, it just needs to be fleshed out.

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

(Served in an American pint glass)
A-This beer pours a deep hazel opaque brown body with a thick tan creamy head.

S- Nice soft roasted grain nose with some coffee notes and a very faint hop bitterness.

T- There is a nice roasted malt flavor with some sweetness up front. A hint of smoky grains and some tartness in the finish. A faint earthiness from the malt is a nice compliment to the light bitterness from the hops.

M-Medium mouthfeel but a bit of a watery texture. No alcohol warmth or astringency

D-This is a very tasty oatmeal stout. It has good complexity and nice depth of malt characters. The mouthfeel is a bit watery but the beer is a nice stout.

Schlafly Oatmeal Stout from The Schlafly Tap Room