Schlafly American IPA | The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room
Missouri, United States
schlafly.com

Style: American IPA

Our American IPA gets its bold hop flavor from 100% American hops and its deep gold and full body from pale and crystal malted barley. A blend of Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe hop varietals imparts AIPA with bitterness and prominent aromas of citrus and fruit. Our brewers select these hops on an annual pilgrimage to the hop farms of Pacific Northwest.

IPAs (India Pale Ales) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

Added by Vancer on 09-20-2009

Ratings: 1,097 |  Reviews: 259

2.06/5  rDev -49.3%

A standard aipa OK flavors one and done for me but drinks ok

2.06/5  rDev -49.3%

Used tulip glass. Pours light amber on the orange side. One finger off-white head. Head disappeared within one minute. Very little lacing.

Aroma is citrus mainly oranges. Also much floral tones hit my nose. Almost like perfume.

First taste is sweet along with its sweet aroma. Light body and not complex. Finishes with a little bitterness.

Overall, too floral for me. It seems sweeter due to floral aroma and it is sweet to begin with. At 7.2 ABV I didn't detect the alcohol. Not my taste in IPA's so I'll pass on future purchase.

2.58/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Edit: The remaining three bottles in this sixpack were strangely more palatable. Not as much a feeling of unbalancedness now, and I can taste more hop character and a slight drop in bitterness. A decent IPA I guess but the discrepancy in taste between one sixpack is unusual to me. I still wouldn't rate it over a 3/5 overall.

I would dissect how gross this is to me, but I love so many kinds of IPAs, dank, piney, resiny, floral, fruity.. This is really not a good balance. A strange vanilla mintish essence. Full frontal bitterness that stands immediately on your taste buds with the first sip. Not the kind of bitter I enjoy, it conjures more thoughts of chemical grass-taste; and something about the feeling overall drinking these gave me made me need an extreme palate cleanse.

Maybe this is personal taste but I swear I'm being as fair as I can be with the taste of this thing. 91 is baffling. And this is certainly fresh.

2.84/5  rDev -30%

I was hoping that A-B was not indicative of the type of beers coming out of St.L. Unfortunately, there seem to be a number of flavorless beers there. Schlafley's IPA is a case in point.

Poured to a nice light copper color with a decent head that left a healthy lace.

However, this is supposed to be an IPA, but there was no hop aroma to speak of. Just a faintly sweet malt and that was it.

The first taste did nothing to lift my expectations. Very mild, no bitterness and a weak finish. Mouthfeel was fine. The carbonation was where it should be, but with a lack of flavor, there really wasn't much left to say.

I had this in a bottle a year ago and was unimpressed. Saw it on tap and thought I would give it a second chance. Not again. If a friend brings some over, maybe. But I won't be getting my own in the future.

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

Sample at the brewpub. This beer is a pale yellow-orange color with a medium thin off-white head that diminishes steadily. Thin rings of lacing on the glass. Aroma of sweet malt and lightly floral hops. Medium-bodied with a borderlne cloying sweetness. Lots of malt and caramel flavor with a lesser degree of citrus hops to balance. The finish remains sweet and malty with a grainy aftertaste. Overall this beer is average at best, and didn't really work for me.

2.99/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Poured into glass from bottle. Bottling date was 1/17/2013 - I am getting a super fresh beer to enjoy here.

A: Pours a fluffy white head, billowy, but recedes after a minute and leaves a thin sudzy head. Golden brown body with solid clarity. Some lacing on the glass.

S: Grapefruit, tangerines, bready malts scents on the back end.

T: Grapefruit, tangerine, and believe it or not wild chive, i mean a really funky Finish, not sure what is giving it that.

M: Not bad, but nothing that impresses, wish it was a little slicker on the mouth.

O: Hmm, I was really excited about trying this beer. I even when out of my way to get a couple all that to say, I am disappointed. Underwhelming, and hard to get over the weird aftertaste.

Schlafly American IPA from The Schlafly Tap Room