Schlafly American IPA | The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room
Missouri, United States
schlafly.com

Style: American IPA

Our American IPA gets its bold hop flavor from 100% American hops and its deep gold and full body from pale and crystal malted barley. A blend of Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe hop varietals imparts AIPA with bitterness and prominent aromas of citrus and fruit. Our brewers select these hops on an annual pilgrimage to the hop farms of Pacific Northwest.

IPAs (India Pale Ales) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

Added by Vancer on 09-20-2009

Ratings: 1,097 |  Reviews: 259

Thx to Wilkins44 for this one. I got a nice variety of Schlafly brews from him.
Pours a gold to amber color. Lots of carbonation that stays all the way down.
Balanced nose with a bit of grassy hops on top of malts that are popping more than I would've expected.
Sweet up front heading into tropical flavors. Mango and grapefruit. Finishes bitter with a lingering breadiness.
Easy to drink and tasty. More bitter than you might expect up-front, but the other flavors round things out.
A good 'ol fashioned American style IPA, and a fine one at that.
This is a solid go-to IPA for all occasions.

(Bottled 1-17-13)

Clear, bright orange, lots of bubbles streaming away for form a modest head (that does leave some lace).

I can smell the hops before I even put the glass to my nose. But once I do put the glass to my nose, I am surprised by the noticeable pale malt smell. I like it! But the hops are there in abundance. Big, typical American aroma hops. Nothing surprising or necessarily exciting, but it certainly still smells good.

Flavor thankfully has a good malt profile, which adds to the beer’s complexity a bit. Otherwise it’s a pretty straight forward American IPA. Just big citrusy hops with a lingering hob bite. But the malts are for the most party a doughy flavor with just a hint of caramel. Again, I think they add to an otherwise solid but possibly forgettable beer. Body is ample, so no complaints there.

After the Tasmanian IPA, I had my hopes up pretty high to be blown away again. Sadly, I wasn’t. But I will still really enjoy this beer and would gladly have it again in the future.

Schlafly American IPA from The Schlafly Tap Room