Schlafly American IPA | The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room
Missouri, United States
schlafly.com

Style: American IPA

Our American IPA gets its bold hop flavor from 100% American hops and its deep gold and full body from pale and crystal malted barley. A blend of Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe hop varietals imparts AIPA with bitterness and prominent aromas of citrus and fruit. Our brewers select these hops on an annual pilgrimage to the hop farms of Pacific Northwest.

IPAs (India Pale Ales) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

Added by Vancer on 09-20-2009

Ratings: 1,085 |  Reviews: 257

(Bottled 1-17-13)

Clear, bright orange, lots of bubbles streaming away for form a modest head (that does leave some lace).

I can smell the hops before I even put the glass to my nose. But once I do put the glass to my nose, I am surprised by the noticeable pale malt smell. I like it! But the hops are there in abundance. Big, typical American aroma hops. Nothing surprising or necessarily exciting, but it certainly still smells good.

Flavor thankfully has a good malt profile, which adds to the beer’s complexity a bit. Otherwise it’s a pretty straight forward American IPA. Just big citrusy hops with a lingering hob bite. But the malts are for the most party a doughy flavor with just a hint of caramel. Again, I think they add to an otherwise solid but possibly forgettable beer. Body is ample, so no complaints there.

After the Tasmanian IPA, I had my hopes up pretty high to be blown away again. Sadly, I wasn’t. But I will still really enjoy this beer and would gladly have it again in the future.

My friends know that I am a self proclaimed hope-head and LOVE to try new IPA's.
I got a case of this as a 40th birthday present (yesterday) and with great anticipation had one straight from the bottle!
I don't remember ever actually spitting out beer, but I did dump out a beer called "blue moon" or some gross wheat beer concoction.
Anyway straight from the bottle and really cold, I may have spat it out had the "gifter" not been present to witness my faked response of "oh wow that's really good"!
I am actually drinking my second as I type this and find myself scrolling back up to better my rating.
I think what it needed was a better glass and a bit of time to breath.
the head, and nose are nothing special and the color looks like most IPA's.
The taste (today) is a bit on the crispy (my description), citrus side with a finish that battles between a bitter hoppiness, and a sweetness.
I think I quite like it, but wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again with all the other better IPA's around.
I better hit ENTER before I change my mind.

Schlafly American IPA from The Schlafly Tap Room