Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Schlafly American IPA | The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room
Missouri, United States
schlafly.com

Style: American IPA

Our American IPA gets its bold hop flavor from 100% American hops and its deep gold and full body from pale and crystal malted barley. A blend of Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe hop varietals imparts AIPA with bitterness and prominent aromas of citrus and fruit. Our brewers select these hops on an annual pilgrimage to the hop farms of Pacific Northwest.

IPAs (India Pale Ales) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

Added by Vancer on 09-20-2009

Ratings: 1,097 |  Reviews: 259

My friends know that I am a self proclaimed hope-head and LOVE to try new IPA's.
I got a case of this as a 40th birthday present (yesterday) and with great anticipation had one straight from the bottle!
I don't remember ever actually spitting out beer, but I did dump out a beer called "blue moon" or some gross wheat beer concoction.
Anyway straight from the bottle and really cold, I may have spat it out had the "gifter" not been present to witness my faked response of "oh wow that's really good"!
I am actually drinking my second as I type this and find myself scrolling back up to better my rating.
I think what it needed was a better glass and a bit of time to breath.
the head, and nose are nothing special and the color looks like most IPA's.
The taste (today) is a bit on the crispy (my description), citrus side with a finish that battles between a bitter hoppiness, and a sweetness.
I think I quite like it, but wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again with all the other better IPA's around.
I better hit ENTER before I change my mind.

Pours a golden body with two finger head and a lace ring that dies slow. Classic citric hop aroma with minimal sweet caramel and a hint of bread. Smooth, dry, the hops are juicy and a bit floral at times as citric flavors abound and there is quality balance with touches of both bread and sweet malts to keep hops from overpowering everything. Classic American style IPA that is a great, simple beer to relax with.

Schlafly American IPA from The Schlafly Tap Room