Schlafly #20, Volume 2: Hop Toddy | The Schlafly Tap Room

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by jsanford on 02-01-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.8/5  rDev -26.3%

Bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Slightly hazy, light amber body, with some orange hue. Two-finger off-white head. A little retention and a little lacing. Looks like a DIPA.

Very sweet aroma of floral hops and sweet honey. A little caramel malt but no notice of the bourbon in the aroma, even though the bottle says it is aged in bourbon barrels.

Yuck. Sorry, but this is sickenly sweet. I should have seen it coming as the label says it is meant to imitate a hot toddy. The honey is dominant and a slight note of the bourbon in the flavor mix. I let it warm a bit but there is still no real notice of the hops coming through in the flavor.

I am a HUGE fan of Schlafly and appreciate the experimentation, but this is so cloyingly sweet that I can't enjoy it. I hope fans of extremely sweet beers will like this. My expectation of American Strong Ales falls along the lines of Stone Arrogant Bastard. But, this one is not very drinkable. Good try but a miss for me.

4.32/5  rDev +13.7%

A: Nicely sized off white head on top of a orange/amber lightly colored ale. Average lacing.

S: Lemon and hops right up front. Super sweet/sugary floral scent. Kind of like a nectar.

T: Citrus zest hits me first followed by a spicy hop bitterness. Slight oak aftertaste but I wouldn't know it without them telling me. Almost tastes like an aged hopslam with the honey.

M: Thick, creamy, velvet, spicy, mild bitterness. Full mouthfeel from the carbonation.

O: Hops are huge for the 22ibu, excellent use of dry-hopping. The oak aged part seems a little uneccesary. I would like to have tried it without it being "oaked."

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Poured a clear orange/amber color with a small off-white head of bubbly foam. It left random rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of citrus and honey with a caramel sweetness.

T - Sweet wildflower honey hits you at first sip. There was a mild spiciness with sweet caramel backbone.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a sneaky, strong ABV.

O - This is very tasty strong ale. I'm glad I got to try it on tap.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last