Schlafly Pumpkin Stout | The Schlafly Tap Room

schlafly.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Added by AlCaponeJunior on 09-21-2012

4.36/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap at Schlafly Bottleworks in Maplewood. According to the beer list there, it is a mix of their well-respected pumpkin ale (8% abv) and their oatmeal stout (5.7% abv). The end result is a truly delicious and unique stout (6.8% abv). Would definitely drink again.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4/5  rDev 0%

3.99/5  rDev -0.2%

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this at the Schlafly hop in the city festival in my sampler glass, and loved it so much I bought a growler of it. This review is from a growler that is a few days old. The beer maintained its quality very well in the growler. Schlafly growlers seal tight and keep the carbonation well.

The appearance is pretty good, especially for a growler serving. It had a lightly tan one finger head that dissipated into a thin sheen on top, with ok lacing.

Aroma is wonderful, but not too over the top. You can really tell that it's a pumpkin beer, spiced, and a stout. Pumpkin aromas are subtle and a little sweet (I can see this may have been made with butternut squash too, at least that's what it smells like to me). The spices are absolutely perfect for a fall/holiday/pumpkin beer, not too over the top but obvious and delicious, with nutmeg and clove standing out, and most importantly (at least to me) not an overload of cinnamon. Roasty stout aromas complete the olfactory experience!

The taste follows the smell quite closely. Roasty malts are followed by a nice spiciness and a moderate pumpkin flavor. There's just a tinge of hops bitterness to complete what is a very balanced and delicious beer.

Mouthfeel is medium, with a lightly roasty and spicy aftertaste. Carbonation is light but ample, creamy, and not inappropriate for the style.

Overall I think this is a wonderful pumpkin beer and a very nice fall treat. I recommend trying a glass if you can get some before it's all gone. Anyone who loves pumpkin beers should find this one quite interesting. The thing I like most about it is that it's NOT over-spiced (a trait that I feel kills a lot of holiday beers).

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Presentation: 64oz Schlafly growler into a Schlafly APA glass. Brewed with pumpkin, butternut squash, and pie spices. This was around $10 for the growler, plus a $2 tip.

Appearance: Dark brown, nearly black, though a bit of light gets through when held up to a bright light. A nice tan head actually sticks around for a bit (even though we picked up this growler last night). Overall, nice.

Smell: Lots of pumpkin pie spice right up front, along with a molasses-like sweetness which reminds me of my late grandma's old-fashioned oatmeal cookies...man I miss those! Simple, but really nice.

Taste: I noticed that some reviews on that 'other' site complained that this tasted just like Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale and I was prepared to be a bit bummed out. No worries on that account. The spices come first, along with a touch of warming alcohol, medium bitterness (from a combination of hops, roasted grain, and spices, I think) and a dry, roasty finish. Just a touch of malt sweetness through the middle.

Mouthfeel: Shockingly (after a day in the growler) this is fairly highly-carbonated. It could be just a touch less, honestly, but it's not quite over-carbonated. My wife and I both felt that this felt a bit more like a porter than a stout though, especially in terms of weight.

Overall: This was a nice surprise. I'd seen that this was one of the 'special' beers at 2012's Hop in the City. I didn't think I'd get a chance to taste it, since we couldn't make it down from Hop, but Taproom put some on after the festival. Overall, I'm rather impressed!

This would probably go for about the same price as the regular Schlafly Pumpkin Ale ($10-11 a sixer) if it were bottled. For that price, I'd gladly pick up a sixer or two of this per season.

89--B+ For what it's worth, if this was called a 'pumpkin porter' (or was a bit richer/weightier, with the 'stout' designation) and had just slightly less carbonation, it'd probably be a point higher.

3.87/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Black in color with no penetration to light. There's a fingernail of beige resting on top. The aroma is cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin pie spice. I taste pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, black licorice, and dark malt. The mouth is moderately chewy and creamy.

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%