Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) | The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)
4.25/5
Outstanding
Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room
Missouri, United States
schlafly.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

Added by Megahertz on 10-12-2012

#801

Ratings: 1,687 |  Reviews: 285

4.99/5  rDev +17.4%

This is my new favorite beer. I love Galaxy hopped beer and this on tested so fresh. I drove all over town searching for more but could not find any. I am waiting until next Fall to get more. This is a hop fruit forward beer with light malt and mild bitterness.

4.99/5  rDev +17.4%

There is nothing I don't like about this beer. It looks great, brightish orange with a white foamy head. The smell is insane, it's just bursting with fresh fruit aroma's laced with honey...or something out of this world smelling like that.

Taste - Perfect, I wish I could drink this beer every day. I had it last year and remembered liking it, but this years version seems a lot better. I hope they can replicate it next year, I really wish they sold this year round.

This is my first review, so I don't know a lot of technical terms or anything fancy. I'm a beer nerd, I have been for about 4-5 years now and all I can say is this beer is as good as any I've ever had. I put it up there with Lagunitas Sucks,Gandhi-Bot and Hopslam (when it was still good), and would even put this above one of my all time favorites Nugget Nectar. If you like your IPA's full of fruity juicy sweet delicious mellow nectar, that go down way too easy, you will love this beer. Buy it, smell it, drink it, love it!

*UPDATE - The batch that was brewed on 9/26 is representative of the review above. I got my hands on a case which was brewed on 10/11/13 about a week ago and man was I disappointed. In fact it was a soul crushing blow because this beer neither smelled or tasted anything like the one brewed on 9/26. I'm bummed because I gave Six Packs to a few beer loving buddies promising them the best beer they've ever had and it didn't come close. I've seen Hopslam change and get worse from year to year, but I've never seen this with the same years batch. I don't know if some got infected or what, but this beer isn't good in any way. How can you go from loving a beer so much one week, to literally dumping it the next. Something happened and it's a shame, because when properly brewed and bottled this is the best beer I've ever had.

4.96/5  rDev +16.7%

4.94/5  rDev +16.2%

This is the kind of IPA that many breweries would sell as a $10-$13 4-pack or $9 bomber. Instead, Schlafly packages this as a regular (though "limited edition") 6-pack, for a more-than-reasonable $10.99. In 12 years of beer nerdom, I cannot say I've seen a better value. This is like getting a brand new Stingray for the price of a 2-year-old, six-cylinder Camaro. One of the breweries (and beers) that makes it good to live in this part of the country.

4.93/5  rDev +16%

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

4.86/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I'm definitely not an IPA lover, but I absolutely loved this. Bartender at the tap room let me try it when I told him I didn't like IPA. Then he had a good laugh when I told him to pour me one. Outstanding!

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Notes from glass had from tap six months ago at Mekong in Richmond.

A sterling example of hoppy but not bitter. My friend, who usually steers clear of IPAs, and I, a hophead, enjoyed this one equally.

Reminiscent of Stone Enjoy By but zeroes in more on the pineapple, with notes of lemon and wheatgrass.

Had never heard of the brewery or beer. A very pleasant surprise. Yum yum yum.

4.84/5  rDev +13.9%

A- Pale yellow with a nice, white head. Ring of foam remains throughout the drink, leaving behind white lacing throughout.

S- Sweet citrus, passion fruit, slight Simcoe-like cat box. Very faint toasted malts, and the faint smell of alcohol.

T- Very sweet passion fruit, and a huge range of citrus. I also catch a bit of a melon flavor in there. The bitterness is smooth and it hangs around. Slight boozy taste as it warms. The slight malt taste eventually starts to come through, but the hops are front and center.

M- Feels sticky and oily, coating the mouth. Feels great, and really enforces that sweet taste.

O- I am a huge fan of this brew from Schlafly. One of the best IPA's I've had to date, as the bitterness isn't oppressive and the hops taste absolutely fantastic. Well done, in my opinion.

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

4.81/5  rDev +13.2%

4.81/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Golden yellow color. Aromas of grapefruit, pine, and maybe even peach. Has a bit of a bite to it. This beer strikes a wonderful balance between the hops and the fruit, with notes of grapefruit and other citrus fruits prominent. Changes from bitter to sweet on the palate, with a delayed finish that is a bit earthy and leaves an almost velvety feel in your mouth. The finish reminds me of rooibos tea. Marvelous IPA, with all the complexities of a Schlafly. Each sip I take, I notice something new.

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) from The Schlafly Tap Room