Wisconsin Belgian Red | New Glarus Brewing Company

newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Ratings: 3,572 |  Reviews: 1,006

Got this as a gift from wellestone. Thank you, Chad. Shared with gwuilliums on Friday night. Poured chilled from 750ml bottle into tulip glasses.

A: Burgundy/red color. Decent head formation and retention. Carbonation persists. Some lacing.

S: Holy Mother of All that is Cherry! This does not smell like beer. It smells like a jar of tart cherries straight from Traverse City. Wow. I can not believe what I am smelling, then I read the bottle. "Over a pound of cherries in every bottle." Yep, now I get it. The one thing that I will say is that the smell is of of clean/fresh cherries. No cough syrup qualities at all.

T: Tastes like cherries topped with cherries and further topped by cherry topping. Really, just clean, concentrated tart cherry juice. I am not sure that this has any beer qualities at all.

M: This has a very nice medium body and excellent carbonation. But man, it is hard to get your head to stop thinking about the uber cherry taste in your mouth long enough to get the feel!

O: This beer is not for me, so, in keeping with my previous methods, when reviewing a beer that I would never drink again, I am rating this beer as straight 3's.

3.01/5  rDev -31%

2015-07-05
750ml capped/red waxed green bottle. Arrived here indirectly via @mr-jj. 238 A3 2333 is printed on the bottom of the bottle. Wax is wrecked. Looks like this bottle endured some heat before arriving with me.

Pours ruby/pinkish with a small, very light pink (white with a slight reddish tinge) head. Smell is sweet, cherry, a little soap.

Taste is godawful sweet. Makes me think of Mort Subite, although not quite so bad. There is a little tartness to this (not so with Mort Subite). Sweet cherry, cough medicine. Cherry syrup. Seriously makes me think of the sweetened cherry concoction on the cherry kijafa crepes my wife likes to get when we go out for breakfast.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light and dry for the sweetness. Overall, it's OK. It's way too sweet to be great.

3.03/5  rDev -30.5%

The bottle looks great with its red wax seal over the cap. The beer pours nice with a decent head. The color is a burnt orange red. I would opt to drink this over many desert wines. It is not the type of beer that I would want to drink in larger quantities. I was surprised how strong the cherry flavor was until I read they put a pound of cherries in every bottle. Honestly I would have liked it better if it tasted more like beer.

3.04/5  rDev -30.3%

Split a bomber 3 ways; from notes.

Pours deep red, head has a slight pink hue. A very strange yet enticing look that really begs you to find out more.Smells like cherry syrup, kind of a "cherry burnetts (vodka) smell" as someone else around the table said. Unfortunately the cherries in the nose are a little bit too candy-like to smell fresh. Tastes like black cherry soda pop, fresh cherries, citrus rind, and bubble gum. Honestly it tastes closer to cherry soda then it does beer. Lively carbonation, medium bodied but a touch syrupy. Drinkability suffered for me, it was just too sweet and too cherry-y. A few people at the table were getting frustrated because they wanted to move to the next beer in our tasting and I was taking too long to finish my pour. I think that says something about its drinkability.

I fear this one doesn't live up to the hype for me. I was especially let down because I had just had New Glarus's Unplugged Cranbic the night before which really impressed me so I had especially high expectations.

3.06/5  rDev -29.8%

A - a dull red with a white head.

S - a ton of cherries. Also a bit of cinnamon

T - a ton of cherries, a bit of cinnamon. Slight tart/ sour.

M - thin side of medium.

O - yep it's a fruit beer. I'm glad I tried it? I will not be seeking this out again. Could not drink more than 1/2 a glass, just too much.

3.07/5  rDev -29.6%

I was quite surprised at this beer, surprised and disappointed. Normally I am a fan of all things new glarus but this beer was just too damn fruity. It smells like cherries, it tastes like cherries, it's cherry red. I mean, I like cherries and all but this stuff is like cough syrup. I wanted some beer with my fruit salad. One glass was enough, one bottle was far too much. For a brewery that ordinarily makes such well-balanced beers, this cherry thing has gotten a little out of hand. If I wanted juice, I wouldn't be drinking beer.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company