Wisconsin Belgian Red | New Glarus Brewing Company

Ratings: 3,583 |  Reviews: 1,007

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

3.75/5  rDev -14%

4.39/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a Bell's tulip glass. A centimeter of head formed at the top and disappeared quickly.

A: At first this didn't look that great--lots of bubbles on the side of the glass in inconsistent patterns that just made it look spotty. After the bubbles mostly disappeared, it was a nice red color, notable because it's an unusual color for a beer, but not remarkable aside from that.

S: The smell is just amazing. No complexity, just a straightforward explosion of sweet cherry smell, like a whiff of cherry cobbler or something. Never smelled another alcoholic beverage of any kind with such an awesomely straightforward fruit smell.

T: Like the nose, the taste is almost pure cherry, but a little different than I expected from the smell, as there's a slight tartness to the flavor that isn't present at all in the smell. The sweetness is still big though, bigger than the tartness, but it all comes together into an amazing balance. Enough tartness that it isn't cloying or sickeningly sweet, but enough sweetness that you could drink this stuff like soda and never realize it was alcoholic (my girlfriend and I finished this bottle in record speed). Oh, and if I didn't make this clear already, the cherry flavor is HUGE. And really, really good.

M: Really light and well carbonated. Almost more like a fruit soda than a beer, but I mean that in a mostly good way (it is slightly odd).

Overall: Basically, after drinking this you're left wondering if New Glarus used any ingredients besides cherries. If you like cherries, you will love this beer, even if you dislike other fruit beers.

9.1/10

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from the bottle into a large snifter glass.

Out of the bottle the beer pours a little off red/orange, but hits with a great clear ruby body. Head forms a nice off pink and creamy texture and some spotted leopard like lacing while drinking. Looks real nice. Finishes with champagne bubble bath suds of red.

Bouquet is unique and distinct but mostly a surprise. Candy store cherry wrapper candy notes and spicy. A very big burst of cinnamon red hots sensations. Strong but not overpowering and completely tolerable. Incredibly impressive.

Taste follows the nose but brings some nice sensations. Very mild tartness with cherry candy store fruit. Finish with cinnamon red hot candy chews without the burning acid.

Texture is almost creamy from the head play with body, but it's still quite light in feel. Mouthwash like teeth coating effect as well.

Overall this is pretty easy drinking, an immense flavor profile, unique, and so refreshing. Well done.

3.38/5  rDev -22.5%

Pours an almost clear brown with red hues. Very thin tan head that doesn't stick around. Nose is cherry juice. Flavor is much of the same. Tastes like cherry cough syrup almost. Almost seems like a touch of apple cider on the back there as well. Eck. Feel is much like the flavor. Syrupy. Carbonation is a bit lower I guess. Good lord. What a disappointment. I think this is going to be a bit of a challenge to drink. I put this on the level of all those overly sugared fruit beers from Belgium. This just makes me miss Liefmans Kriek even more.

2.98/5  rDev -31.7%

Being a huge fan of New Glarus and pretty much everything I've had from them, I was pretty excited to finally try this one. I love cherries, so this has been a want for a bit.

The appearance and smell were awesome. Nice reddish hue and big cherry smell. Good carbonation. Not a huge head. Looking good so far.

Then....I tasted it and I felt like I was a kid again when Mom was trying to shove that synthetic flavored 'cherry' swill down my throat when I had a boo boo. I took another sip, then another, then another...then stopped. Wife tried it and like it...wife gets bottle of Belgian Red.

Really disappointed, esp after how much I love Raspberry Tart and Serendipity. This was not good, at least to me. Wife thought otherwise.

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark pink to red with pink, lasting creamy head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of ripe cherries.

The ripe cherries come across so fresh that I can sense biting it to avoid the pit (which I can almost taste). A touch of caramel is in the back. Sweet with a tart balance.

It has a creamy texture. Effervescent carbonation fits it almost perfectly. The aftertaste lingers in a pleasant way.

This is an exceptional brew. Again, the brewery created a fruit beer with no artificial taste. It has enough malt in the back to let you know it's a beer. Not too sweet, not too tart. A great dessert brew!

3.75/5  rDev -14%

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

A- Pours a clear, ruby red with a small white head. Good lacing and head retention.

S- Cherries, hints of vanilla?

T- More cherries...fresh and above all else, real. Tart. Dare I say orgasmic?

M- Dances on the tongue like its sister Raspberry Tart.

D/O- I've had many a beers in my day but this remains one of the best beers I've ever had. Light and fruity, its an easy drinker although I find myself taking small sips just to savor. The epitome of "world class".

3.76/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

4.39/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

The first time I sampled this brew was a blind taste test vs. Cantillion at a local bowling alley/restaurant/theater/music venue/beer and wine bar. NG came out on top!
Color is a rich, ripe, bright cherry red, with a short and soon departed head. Aroma is in a class of it's own: absolutely gorgeous! Rich, delicious, vinous, sweet, and sour, the perfect picture of cherries! It's utterly wonderful, and a joy to drink in deep with the nose!
On the palate, other tranformations occur: WOW! Dazzling, uplifting, and lovely! By tranformative, I mean that something new occurs in me, I am 100% happier by drinking this elixir, my mood is elevated, every atom has an energized attitude!
Several waves of sensation occur throughout the consumption of this ale, it jumps and jiggers in the mouth, surges in and sallies out. The taste continues, and the feeling wells up in and rides over every square inch of the body that is apt to perceive sensation! Finish is a bit tartish, but what do you want, it's cherries, man!
Wow...this was perfect, and I felt that the 750 ml wax finshed bottle was a bit stingy! Hook me up to a keg of this stuff!

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company