Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Reviews: 988 | Ratings: 3,421
4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to Ughsmash for this one!

Pours a murky apple cider golden brown into a snifter. Short one finger head leaves spotty lacing. Smells of cherries. Shocking, I know. Bits of caramel and spice here and there, bit the cherries almost completely dominate the nose. The first few sips are like liquid cherry candy. After a bit of warming, the caramel and spice pull out for a better balance. I kinda wish I hadn't chilled it at all. Medium body & carbonation make for a smooth drink. Too sweet to want more than one bottle, but the one is damn tasty. A very unique brew, perfect for a summer evening.

4.23/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL red wax on numerous occassions. Pours a bright, translucent deep pink to red with a small, pink, creme head. Aroma is cherry Sucrets, cough medicine, thankfully moving to maraschino cherries and clafoutis/cherry pie. Taste is sweet, black cherries, cherry pie, rich and viscous with a major spiced note of cinnamon and nutmeg. Palate is rich, creamy, dessert like, not oily or watery. It’s not the show stopper that NG Raspberry Tart and NG Apple Ale are, but it is evident that if you like true cherry beer and aren’t in the mood for kriek, this is the ultimate non-sour cherry fruit beer. Just impossible for anyone to compete with New Glarus in the fruit beer category.

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle into a snifter.

A: Certainly a nice reddish hue, but there's enough transparent, malty brown to qualify this as beer. Very carbonated, with a pop-like fizziness. Head dies down quickly to a thin white head.

S: Cherry, cinnamon, clove. No bitterness, and next to no malt on the nose.

T: Sour, sweet, spicy, and with a bit of biscuity barley in the end. Agree with the earlier reviews--cherry pie and Christmas-y flavors abound. I don't think it's too overwhelming, but I'm a bit of a NG fanboy, and I really like cherries, beer, and cherries in beer.

M: A very nice carbonated zip, and otherwise, a light feel to the beer. Not a thin beer by any means, despite the low ABV, but far from a full feeling. The taste lingers on the tongue everywhere except the bitter back end.

D: Too sweet for session quaffing, of course, and certainly a nicer dessert or pairing beer.

Overall, this is easily one of the better fruit beers out there. Number 1? There are some poorly-executed cherry beers out there, and this trumps them. I'm glad this is a pretty regular NG offering, but perhaps its rank is just a bit high--but only a bit.

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

Amber/reddish colored with an off white head. This has really good retention and good lacing.
Smells like cherry ludens cough drops, so sweet and so pleasant.
Semi sweet cherry flavor with a little tartness, and very delishious.
It's light bodied for sure, crisp from good amount of carbonation and a really good sweet aftertaste.
A very tasty beer, great flavor and aroma.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

(From Notes)
Picked up a growler from Casanova's in Hudson, Wisconsin to share with relatives while opening Christmas presents last December.

Poured from the growler into a flute glass. Pours a deep, murky red with billowing pinkish head that leaves attractive lacing. Beautiful.

Smell is all cherries- wonderful tart cherries with a dusting of sweetness.

Taste is a melding of beer and wine as the bottle claims. Light and fruity while still complex. Loads of fruit but you can still tell it's a beer.

Mouthfeel is enticing. Massaging the tongue with tiny dancing bubbles.

Drinkability is insane. I'm so glad I picked up a growler as a bomber may have not been enough.

The best non-sour fruit beer I have had to date- absolutely phenomenal- seek this stuff out.

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Surprised that I have not rated this one to-date and since I just split a bottle tonight watching college football, why not rate it now.

A - Poured from the wax topped bottle into my waiting New Glarus flutes, supplied by one of the best cheeseheads I know and have the pleasure of trading with, wisconsinbeer1. Pours a beautiful garnet red with a fizzy white fluff that quickly settles down.

S - Tart cherries and cherry pie. Beautiful!

T - Tart cherries and cherry pie. Not overly sweet as it has a slight tart sensation with subtle oak accents from sitting in the barrels for a period of time. Really a sensational taste.

M - Highly carbonated and thin but not a problem.

D - Really good but you have to remind yourself that you are drinking a beer. Really, it is a cross of beer and wine.

One of the really great fruit beers that is always a pleasure to have. Regularly supplied by maximum12 and wisconsinbeer1 so I don't know who to thank for this particular bottle. I guess I'll just have to thank you both.

Get this one and make yourself popular.

2.69/5  rDev -38.3%

Been wanting to try this, I do like cherries and Founders Cerise is a beer I enjoy. Had it with a monster tasting of the New Glarus fruit beers.

Pours a darker pink. white head. looks like what I expected a fruity cherry beer to look.
Good carbonation.

Smell is a little off-putting. given reviews thusfar, was hoping for a rich, real cherry vibe. literally smelled like cough syrup or some sort of cherry flavored medicine to my nose.

taste backed up the smell. too sweet. medicinal fake cherries dominate. Compared to the Cran-bic (excellent) and the Raspberry tart (decent), this beer rated the lowest.

Mouthfeel was fine for a medicinal oversweetened cherry beer.

Move along, this isn't the fruit/cherry beer you're looking for. I'm certainly surprised at the ratings around these parts.

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Had this out of the bottle on Friday night, celebrating the finishing of college. Thanks erocks for the trade, much appreciated!

Appearance: Hazy red-pink with a pinkish head and lacing that is sticky and wavy. Looks unlike much other beer I've ever had, and I really fail to see where the beer is in the appearance, but it still looks quite nice.

Smell: Very, very cherry. Sweet, sour, puckering cherry. Sugars still seem pretty present, and quite heavy in the fruity aroma. Wow, no hop presence nor any real maltiness, either, just fresh, flavorful cherries.

Taste: Identical to the smell, except more soda-like than beer. If I had not known better, I'd swear this is a cherry soda with no alcohol and certainly no hops. They just aren't there. Sour but not over-the-top, very sweet, and highly intense cherry flavors. I know this is the style, but man this is a very sweet beer, and it's tough to remember that it is, indeed, beer.

Mouthfeel: A little too syrupy for my liking, but also effervescently carbonated, a little too much so. It was like carbonated cherry syrup, which made it feel more soda-like once again. It could actually be a little scaled back and probably still be okay, but still, the sourness covers a lot of ground and makes up for a lot of that by giving a distinct and memorable mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Not excellent, for me anyway. Too sweet to really be consumer en masse, but not bad, either. Paired with the right dessert, I'm sure it's exquisite, and with the right lady, I'm sure it's even more so. An experience for sure, and worth trying.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to DrewHamm on this one.

A: Pours a Brownish/Pink body(Ruby) with an inch of off white pinkish head. Leaves a pretty nice lacing on the sides of the glass as I spin it around.

S: Smells like glass of cherry Kool Aid. I hope it's not too sweet.

T: Full cherry flavor, as if I were eating a cherry which had a slightly tart finish.

M: The body is full and juicy, with a hint of tartness to the finish.

D: Extremely drinkable. I have no desire to share the rest of the bottle I opened with anyone. Yes I will have this beer again.

4.87/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 750 into an Allagash Tulip. Red, with a slight brownish tent. Small amount of carbination with a small head, poured very, very cold.

Fresh Cherry pie filling on the smell, really awesome. Does not smell like cherry cough syrup, this is fresh pie filling. Such a sweet smell that it is almost cherry candy by the finish.

Taste almost exactly as it smells. Predominately cherry pie filling. Fresh and sweet with a small amount of tartness. Very small hints of alcohol at all, especially for a fruit beer

Smooth with the perfect amount of carbonation. This is refreshing, especially for the amount of sweetness that it has in it. Almost perfect as far as taste and mouth feel good.

This beer is very tasty, as close as a desert beer as I would think you could get. There is really no malt characteristic to this at all, Its like you are drinking a fruit soda, that is the only downfall

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

Wow. Everytime I have this beer I just have to savor it. (Especially since it's so tough to get for a North Carolinian!!) Special occasions...like Thanksgiving...are great times to break one of these out.

Sorry I had to give this a relatively low score in appearance, but this bottle poured a very hazy rusty red, but still had the nice pink head. I think I may have jostled the beer a bit before pouring it.
edit --> after trying two other bottles of this beer, I have to raise my appearance score. They have looked clear and very inviting.

The aroma is pure cherries. Pounds of cherries. Fresh cherries. Very clean.

The taste is what makes this beer. Sip and experience this; don't simply drink it. The cherries come through and the yeast adds a complexity along with a slight sourness.

Light and enjoyable, some effervesence.

A truly enjoyable beer. If you know about lambics and belgian beers, you'll appreciate this all the more. I wish I had another bottle!

3.93/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The cherries predominate, and it tastes almost like a cherry-flavored soda or sparkling wine. Straddles the divide between beer and wine, to paraphrase the label. Interesting, quality product, but not sure I'd call it a beer.

Beautiful dark tan with a hint of red color, bursting with cherry aroma. Taste of tart cherries, balanced by the sweet malt. Better than a cherry wine.

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

What a beer! Big bottle with wax opening into a champagne flute with the aroma of Door County. A pie crust colored head appears and grows to colossal size on top of a slightly brownish red body that looks like cherry jelly. The taste is sweet and then tart bringing me back to chopped cherry preserves on toast. It's like breakfast. The mouthfeel is lighter than expected but if it were heavier the jelly thing would take over the experience. This is a very drinkable beer. I don't like fruit beer much but this is always on hand.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

This beer pours a nice dark red color. The head was fairly thick, and a nice pink color. The nose is very strong with cherries. The taste is outstanding. It has a strong cherry profile. It doesn't feel like you're drinking beer, but a delicious glass of juice. If it were a higher ABV, that could be dangerous.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a cloudy rusty cranberry color with significant sedimentation. Small, light cream colored head turns to film quickly.

Smell. Smells like cherries on crack! Sweet and tart cherry smell somewhat alternating. General vague spiciness and oakiness. Perhaps cloves, vanilla, and apple also present. It smells so good I can't wait to get my lips on it. As it got warmer, it developed more of a musty-venous quality.

Taste. Tastes as cherry as it smells. Excellent transitions from tart to sweet and back. Great balance between malt and hops, although, the hops are down played by the fruity spicy goodness.

Medium bodied. Nice dry, refreshing finish. Not syrupy or watery; just right. This ain't no kool-aid! Very drinkable, provided you wanted a cherry bomb. I thought I would get sick of the cherry taste, but I wanted more. Maybe a little too easy to drink.

4.54/5  rDev +4.1%

#100th Review

Poured and shared with friends, as part of bday celebration for a work buddy and myself.

Poured into 4 seperate glasses. Body is dark red, near amber. Has a hazy hue that is rather glowing when held up to light. Faint head, with a finger post pour, but which quickly dissipates. No real head to speak of.

Wow. Umm...wow. The nose reminds me of (dare I say it?)...watermelon jolly ranchers. Seriously. I mean, I thought I was crazy, but it is so dang potent. I think it is more of an insult to Jolly Rancher than New Glarus, but so much candied cherry comes off the nose it is divine. Mild dryness, but the cherries are the main attraction.

More of the same. Watermelon Jolly Rancher. Seriously. Oak notes come in through the mid body, which leaves a mild tingling sensation through the finish. Incredible cherry domination though. Cherry, cherry, and more cherry. Sweet, light and playful. Not cloying in any sense. The beer is there, but the cherry flavor is most pleasant. So well done and balanced, even for the amount of raw cherry flavor that is there.

Mild carbonation, with an oily mouthfeel that lingers well into the next sip.

I am super impressed. An exceptional beer. Makes me look forward to their Raspberry Tart with much more anticipation and longing.

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Thanks brdc for sending me fresh bottles.

This beer is close to absolute perfection.

The coloring is a festive red with a wimpy pink head. The flavor and aroma is of course cherry. Fresh cherries and not "cherry" flavor or artificial.
An ever so slight tartness begs you take another sip. A little fizz adds to the fun of drinking this. Thick and creamy.

This isn't overly sweet so drinkability is pretty high. Really an occasion beer. One of the best fruit beers I've had.
I hope to always keep this one on hand.

Outstanding beer experience.

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

A wonderful beverage, but I struggle a little to rate this, because it really doesn't have a lot of beer-like qualities. It takes a pretty vigorous pour to get much of a head. The aroma is a hedonistic cherry immersion, and the flavor is more of the same -- tart, fresh, delicious. Malt and hops are undetectable, as is the alcohol. Actually, even a little bit of an alcohol burn would push it to a higher level for me. Recommended, definitely, but I do have to rate it in the context of a beer.

4.24/5  rDev -2.8%

I'm torn on this stuff, because it's unrecognizable as beer. Nonetheless, I enjoyed drinking it.

Pours to a thin head with just a wee bit of lacing. The beer is opaque and a very natural ripe red color that goes amber around the edges. Smells like cherry pie -- down to the crust.

Tastes like rich cherry pie filling, with nary a hint of any typical beer flavors. Incredibly sweet, but rounds out with nifty souring in the end.

Despite the lack of observable bubbling this feels like it has some zippy carbonation. Maybe a watery feel, but Belgian Red jumps on your tongue so hard it's hard to get a good feel for it.

Yowsa. So sweet that it is best enjoyed in moderation. I will keep a bottle of this stuff around to haul out after dinner now and then -- or as a trap to snag the "But I don't like beer" people.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Got to try a bottle of this last summer thanks to a beer trade friend. The colour was cloudy and amber with a temporarily thick head. The aroma was cherries, cherries and more cherries! On the palate, it was like getting a cherry pie in the face, and thoroughly enjoying it! Loads of pie cherry flavour, and even pie crust with hints of cinnamon and baking sugar. What a nice beer!!

4.31/5  rDev -1.1%

Consumed 11/30/10

Poured into a Bruery tulip

A: Pours a DEEP ruby red that glows wonderfully in the light. Highly carbonated and pours a lovely white-pink head that fizzles out after a few seconds.

S: I can smell cherries when I open the bottle. All I smell are fresh, juicy, tangy cherries.

T: Wow! It's like sucking on a cherry Jolly Rancher, without the high fructose corn syrup. Bright, punchy fruity flavor comes at my mouth fast, and the 4.0% alcohol isn't tasted at all, but lends to the overall construction, letting me know this is a beer.

F: Glazes my tongue in a red bath with a few fizzles here and there. Goes down very smooth.

D: Certainly not a gulper, but it's not too strong to declare it strictly a sipper. My first glass I finished very quickly and my second glass I nursed a bit more, tasting all the nuances as it warmed.

Many thanks to ericfb18 for this bottle in a recent trade

750ml bottle with red wax cap
Pours deep ruby copper color into my New Belgium glass. Forms about half an inch of foam that quickly dissipates. I'm lsurprised by how much lacing is left on the sides of the glass as I drink.

Smells of cherries--no shocker there, but there's a lot of different "cherry" smells and tastes possible. This strikes me as true; cherries soaked in a sweet alcohol, brandy possibly. The cherries are the star of the show for sure.

The taste is also heavy on the cherries--a mix of sour and tart with some maraschino thrown in the mix for sweetness. Make no mistake, this beer is sweet, but it is not overpoweringly so. It would probably pair best with a dessert, or heck even be a dessert.

Silky smooth mouthfeel with some tart carbonation towards then end; just about how this beer should feel

This is such an easy beer to drink. It's not easy for me to obtain and I couldn't see myself drinking it every night, and that's coming from someone who likes things on the sweet side of things. A delicious beer overall though and a great example of the style

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

L: An amber red through out. Light fizzy head that dsiapates quickly.
S: Very sharp trat cherries fill my nose immediatly followed by a nice sweet candy.
T: Cherries covered in vanilla at first. Sours apples follow which turns it in to a sweet and than sour.
M:Big fizz makes it feel nice and round
D: Awesome!!! Certainly a great fruit beer.

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Drank this one while walking the swanky small craft - large scale brewery.

A: Pinkish head with good retention and lacing. Reddish brown hue. Sparkling wine-esque hue but darker in glass.

S: Tart. Maltiness notes but overwhelmingly cherry mash.

T: Pure raw cherries, no extract sweetness. Meaty cherry taste with light malts and little to no hops detectable.

M: Bites a bit on the tongue with the tartness and in the throat. But the lasting coating of the massive 1lb of cherries per bottle makes it linger for days.

D: Really enjoyed this as a special and unique brew. Desert anyone?

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company