Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Reviews: 988 | Ratings: 3,421
4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to dhchatfield for sending me this in a trade last year. Shared on New Year's Eve with my wife. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a Lindemans tulip. Beer was a hazy, ruby color with a medium sized, frothy, off-white head. Left lots of lacing around the glass.

Aroma was sour cherry, apple and was also mildly earthy.

Taste was cherries. Not overly sweet, which makes this pretty easy drinking. Slightly bitter finish.

This is a superb beer. It's nice to be able to enjoy a full bottle at home, rather than the 2oz. samples I've gotten in the past at the GABF. My only complaint is that they don't distribute outside of Wisconsin.

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

I just revisited this beer after dinner tonight and, WOW!

I pretty much echo the rest of the reviews... cherries galore. It looks like you just opened up a maraschino cherry jar and strained the juice. Of course, it tastes like farm fresh cherries in all it's syrupy goodness.

It's much less sweet to my palate than the raspberry tart, and therefore more drinkable. It's like a fine cherry wine that quenches any thirst. This could be a fabulous drink in the summer!

This brew is well worth the effort to acquire. I still this the size is too much for one person, but I had my sister helping me out with this one. Thanks New Glarus for a lambic to remember!

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

L: An amber red through out. Light fizzy head that dsiapates quickly.
S: Very sharp trat cherries fill my nose immediatly followed by a nice sweet candy.
T: Cherries covered in vanilla at first. Sours apples follow which turns it in to a sweet and than sour.
M:Big fizz makes it feel nice and round
D: Awesome!!! Certainly a great fruit beer.

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Wow. This was good. Poured from a champagne bottle; it has a garnet color with a small slightly pinkish head. The beer is light in carbonation although this meshes well with the sour and sweet tastes that are imparted from the cherries. Has a tremendous and complex cherry taste. This bottle was gone way too fast.

3.9/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a light pink to reddish color with a small white head. In the aroma small sour cherries. In the taste, cherry, very cherry with a small sourness lingering behind. A smooth medium body mouthfeel and a dry cherry aftertaste. Cherries feel a bit medicinal, kind of like cough drops. A small tartness, and big in cherry.

4.09/5  rDev -6.2%

No bubbles and hardly any no head. But the color is just a dark, cherry red. Reminds me of fruit punch and wine mixed together. The aroma is almost a buttery cherry aroma. Very unique, and still pretty funky. The taste is a medium tart cherry juice. A little odd creaminess somewhere upfront, but very quickly fades. Strong, funky cherry flavors hit the mddle hard along with a slow lasting sweetness.

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Dark, slightly cloudy ruby colored brew with a slight bit of head that last for a good bit of the glass.

Smell: Cherries. Sweet and tart cherries with maybe a hint of oak in the background.

Taste: Cherries again. You get a sweet cherry flavor at the front, which becomes slightly tart and sour. There is a bit of the oak from the nose at the end of the sip that mingles with a tart, spicy cherry aftertaste. There is a nice warmth as you go.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy. Good carbonation as well that makes the beer feel very nice while you are sipping.

Drinkability: Very high. This is a tasty, smooth beer with a nice complex fruit flavor. Not a beer that you would drink several of but a good sweet beer to enjoy after a meal.

Pours a cloudy dark red into with little or not head. The smell is crisp and has a tart cherry smell to it. The taste is great. You can taste the fruit but it is not too overpowering. A nice carbonation in the mouth gives it a clean and fruity taste.

I enjoyed this beer but I could probably only do one of these every now and then. Any more than one in a sitting would kill my tastebuds.

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into two tulip glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to Bernie for the hook-up!

A: Pours an opaque, black cherry red. Small, bubbly, pinkish-colored head that leaves a bit of lace.

S: Big aromas of black cherry and sweet fruit.

T: Wonderful spicy black cherry. I also noticed a hint of yeast or wheat lurking in the background.

M: Creamy and prickly, too.

D: So easy to drink. What an incredible beer!

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Reviewed from notes
A - Pours a darkish red with a pink head.

S - Cherries, Cherries, Cherries and oh more Cherries

T - Amazing, here are those cherries again. Sweet with a decent tartness.

M - Light bodied and refreshing

D - Drinks well for a fruit beer. Not cloying.

Best fruit beer I have had so far. I look forward to trying the Raspberry Tart and hopefully the Apple Ale (2008 release?)

4.94/5  rDev +13.3%

Deep garnet pour with a light pinkish head that leaves very little lace. Head retains nicely for a fruit beer.

Aroma is pure, incredibly fresh, beautiful cherries. Fresh, plump, and sweet. My mouth is watering just writing this review. There are hints of other dark fruit and a hint of vanilla.

Flavor is like drowning in fresh cherries. So juicey and real, perfectly tart and sweet. Flavors of cherry pie and subtle almond. If fresh cherries only tasted this good. Perfect and impossible to put down the glass. I want to quit my job and drink this for a living.

Body is medium and slick with juice. Just the right amount of carbonation. I could drink gallons of this beautiful example of beer.

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

I got this bottle in a great trade with joe1510. Thanks a bunch, Joe!!

This isn't my first sample of this brew. I bought a bottle of it and the Raspberry Tart years ago before I started reviewing and have had samples of both every time I've been to the GABF. Boy am I thrilled to have it again!

Pours from capped and mimimally waxed 750ml bottle a cloudy red with a nice solid, be it small, head of foam with some good lacing.

The smell is of cherrries, cherries, and...more cherries!~ A +lb of cherries in every bottle will do that for you. ;^)

The taste...is of wonderful, semi sweet and sweet cherry. In the background, I can just get some wheat, more pronounced when I swish the beer in my mouth, and a slight woody flavour. Boy, is this a joy to sip on and yeah, it's very low in the abv department but when you get a brew of this caliber, sipping is the *only* way to go. The mouthfeel is almost chewy, nah, I'm going to say that it *is* chewy and the carbonation is very lively.. just the right level for me to make my drinking experience stellar. There's also a small hop presence there to add just a touch of bitterness; not too much, mind you, as the cherry flavour is what Belgian Red is all about.

I just poured some more into my glass and I have a huge smile on my face. Wow. Is this ever a satisfying beer.

Bottom line: This is a world class brew that hits my palate on all cylinders. Like I said before I got this in a trade and it certainly won't be the last time I trade for it. Thank again, Joe!!

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a rusty looking murky red with a nice pink head that takes its time. Smells mildly tark, the cherries come out to play along with some sweetness. Taste is mostly the sweet cherries, mildly tart with a smooth finish. Medium in the mouth, flat on the finish and a sipping fruit beer too enjoy.

4.74/5  rDev +8.7%

I've had this beer a million times before but never taken the time to rate it.

Deep red body with a small white head. The body is very opaque. The aroma is outstanding. Sour cherries blast out of the glass. The flavor on this beer is crazy good. Good sour cherry flavor with a bit of carbonation which seems to make the flavor pop. Ends on a pretty sweet note. The body is a bit heavy for the flavor but it's pretty light overall. This is a great beer. If I ever get married, I'll use this in place of champagne for the toast.

4.24/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Pours from the bottle into an imperial pint glass looking like cranberry juice with head. The body is a dark red with a pinkish tan head that rises quickly but disappears rapidly leaving some lace on the side of the glass.

S: Sour cherries are noticeable before the glass reaches my nose. There is an extremely strong cherry aroma with a hint of sweetness like a jolly rancher or a sweet tart.

T: The aroma carries well into the taste as the sour dark cherry hits the palate first and then gives way to the sweetness which tastes more like a jolly rancher than sweet tart.

M: This is one very heavy, syrup like beer that has a noticeable carbonation that leads to the crisp dry tart finish. It certainly carries some weight in the mouth as it is consumed.

D: This was an excellent after Thanksgiving Dinner treat. This is a beer with real good balance of sweet and sour, perhaps too sweet to drink the whole 750ml bottle at one time, but a great beer to share with friends. After the first few sip I had to break out some dark chocolate just to see….chocolate covered cherries! Every trip to Wisconsin will require at least one or two of these beauties coming back with me.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

750 ml bottle acquired from scoobydank in a trade, thanks for giving me the chance to try this great beer

This one kicked off my incredible night of beer drinking, shared this with my girlfriend, she loves sours and was a huge fan of the Raspberry Tart, so I decided to pop this open while we watched a movie and I am glad I did

Poured into my Duvel tulip glass with a deep red color that was a little on the pink side when help up to the light and a light tan head that mellowed quickly, left lots of lacing the entire time

Smell was full of cherries and sour aromas, strong smells of sweetness

Taste was fantastic, best sour I have had up there with Funky Barrel, smooth start with super sweet cherries that fades into a nice and subtle sourness, not overpowering like most others I have had, just a great fruity taste overall, could taste the small amount of hops that were thrown into balance the abundance of fruit, gave it a nice bitter side at one point, lots and lots of cherries in this one but they are nicely distributed, this fruit beer blew my mind

Only bad thing about this is the large amounts of carbonation, could be too much at times but still a nice body and mouthfeel

Could drink this all day if it was not so sweet, but other than that it is only five percent alcohol and does not fill you up at all, goes down really easy

Second beer from New Glarus and another winner, best fruit beer/wild ale I have ever had next to Supplication, highly recommended, wish I had more of this stuff, get some as soon as possible

This is definitely a beer that deserves to be towards the top of the list on the Best of BA

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a reddish brown color with a creamy, and frothy brown head on top that remains for quite a while with plenty of lacing along the side. Smell is strong on cherry, and a cider type smell fills the nostrils. Taste is ridiculously sweet, with some sour tart notes finishing. Mouthfeeling is filled with carbonation making this seem like a cherry Italian soda /cherry cough syrup/cherry wine cooler. I have not usually liked the tart, wild ales in the past, this one finally works for me. Maybe I'm not a huge fan, or maybe I am finally used to this hybrid type style.

4.23/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11/18/07- Received as a gift from former BA member Irishsnake.

Presentation- 750ml bottle with a nice coating of red wax over the cap and neck of the bottle. Not sure what vintage it is, but I've had it in my possesion for at least 2 years. Assuming 2004 or 2005. Poured into my Alesmith tulip.

Appearance- Murky and sludgly looking dark blood red pour. Ultra light spritzy head upon pour, fades quickly. Leaves light spots of lace behind.

Smell- Sadly..not much of any. Was expecting a blast in the face of harvested cherries instead I just get a tiny whiff. If you dig in you get some fresh cherries and a bit of malt, but it really doesn't assert itself.

Taste- Very sweet and a touch of a sour note. Fresh orchard black and bing cherries flourish in the mouth. Cherries...that's it. Simple and straight forward. The only thing that would make it perfect taste is a lasting flavor after the swallow.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, thick, viscous, syrupy. Almost like cherry cough syrup. Aftertaste is not much. It's like fruit stripe gum...great flavor that lasts for a few chews and poof!! Gone like that.

Drinkability- Very drinkable, but limited a tad because of the sweetness factor. Still blows most cherry beers away.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

Thanks to nflmvp for the two bottles of this. Served this chilled from a waxed 750ml bottle, into a tulip. Poured a murky, thisk, ruby color that had a brownish tint to it. Beer was capped off by a half inch of thin, tannish white head. Head faded almost immediately, and left virtually no lace behind. Smell was made up of mostly tart cherries. Black cherries, red cherries, dried cherries, they are all present in the nose. The taste was very one sided as well, but in a good way. All strong tart cherries. Definitely cherry pie in a bottle. Excellent tasting beer in my opinion. Had a nice thick, full, syrupy, tongue coating mouthfeel. Carbonation was right on as well. Awesome drinkability. Glad I have another bottle on hand. Another great New Glarus offering.

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer pours a murky, dark red color. It has a thin light tan head with a nice red tint to it. The head fades quickly, leaving a lot of lacing.

This beer has a sweet cherry aroma. It smells great. It has a slightly tart sour aroma also. It smells very sweet, but not overwhelmingly so.

This beer tastes just like it smells. Very sweet, with a great tart cherry flavor. Not much flavor other than tart, sweet cherries.

This beer leaves a tart cherry aftertaste. The carbonation is high, fitting the beer well.

This beer would probably make a good session beer. It is low in alcohol, and it tastes great.

Overall: Wow, thanks HimerMan for a great beer. I love it, and so does MrsOStrungT. I would always have a bottle of this if I had access to it. The only problem is that it might just be a bit too sweet.

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received this in trade from dirtylou and then a day later from initiative thanks guys.
Pours a ruby amber red color with a thin off white head that left quickly. Smell is overwhelmingly cherries yum! Dried fruit/prune in the background. Taste is tart cherries has almost a sticky syrupy feel to it. Leaves a tart cherry aftertaste. My mouth literally was watering with every sip. Not exactly a kriek as its not nearly that sour, but a damn fine brew nonetheless.

4.37/5  rDev +0.2%

Sample courtesy of a travelling fellow beer lover. This brew pours a lustrous brownish, purplish red with a medium thick and fizzy beige head that dissipates steadily. Small patches of lacing on the glass. Aroma of sweet cherries blended with other tart fruit, sweet spice, and wheat. Medium-bodied with a complex fruit character of fresh cherries and strawberries along with spices and malts. Light wheat and yeast undertones at times. The finish is richly fruity and tart and leaves a lingering cherry aftertaste. Quite simply the best Fruit beer I have had.

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

Closest there is to Lambic Kriek (that I'm aware of). This beer has a very tart cherry taste. It is reddish brownish in color, like a maroon. This is a good sipping beer. You will salivate soon as it hits your tongue. Not exactly something I would reccomend drinking all night long. It comes in a 750ml green bottle with wax covering the cap and upper half of the bottle. It is not corked, but a pry cap.
For my 29th birthday, I had 48 bottles to give out to all my friends, but we could not drink them all. 4 months later... I have a 12 pack left.

4.23/5  rDev -3%

Nice ruby red / auburn color. Nice, medium-sized head with excellent retention. Very pretty.

Aroma is sweet and strongly cherry. Taste is similarly very sweet with lots of cherry flavor, a little malt backbone towards the end and a slightly dry finish that hints of hops. Very tasty and interesting.

Mouthfeel is medium-light with good carbonation.

Too sweet for regular drinking, but very nice as a dessert and could be good with certain foods, maybe roasted chicken.

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

10-21-07
Thanks to umustdrink for this beer.

Poured into champagne flute glasses, poured a dark red with a more vibrant red shining through at the edges. The bubbly heads dissipated quite fast into nothing. The smell was quite simply of sour cherries. The taste was more of sweet cherry pie filling which also had the slightest tart aspect to it as well. The mouthfeel was pretty fizzy with carbonation but the body had a nice smoothness to it, probably from the wheat malt. The last glass of this poured from the bottle contained a lot of the yeast sediment and also gives a little different tasting beer- most muted on the sweet cherry and a slicker mouthfeel. Not a very complicated beer but a damn tasty one, and a great beer to drink while celebrating a USC win over the Irish.
___

11-9-08
This stuff is pure cherry juice. It seems less tart than before, and sweeter.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company