Wisconsin Belgian Red | New Glarus Brewing Company

newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Ratings: 3,565 |  Reviews: 1,003

Too sweet. The cherry flavor overpowers all other flavors.

2.12/5  rDev -51.4%

Notes cannot describe my complete disgust with this beer. I’ve tasted it several times and I am still flabbergasted that people actualy enjoy it. I can't stand the sweetness and I don’t want to taste pie crust in a fruit beer. I do love the raspberry tart though, but that is very balanced and succulent.

2.14/5  rDev -50.9%

Bottle thanks to Glouglouburp. Beautiful ruby pour with a bit of frothy pinkish foam. What can I say about this beer, let's see, at first the aroma was super intriguing, tons of real cherries. Very intense and inviting. Shortly after the initial whiff though, it starts to smell like cough medicine (still okay but not quite my favorite smell) and then it actually starts to literally smell sweet. Okay, taste now. The first few sips are like the first few whiffs of smell. Great real cherry taste, sweet and definitely not sour.
5 minutes in and I'm sick and tired of the syrupy flavor. Palate is flat and super sticky. I wanted to like this beer so bad, but in the end three of us ended up drinking a quarter of the bottle. I do believe it will make great ice cream sauce.

2.24/5  rDev -48.6%

Got this as an extra in a trade from TPatuto. Thanks giving me the opportunity to try this!

One of the bottles from New Glarus I was looking forward to opening on Thanksgiving.

This beer was a dark cherry color. I was expecting maybe a fiery red but the beer was kind of dark. My nose was engulfed in a storm of black cherries. That's about all I could smell. Not even a hint to it being a beer. I would think this is just black cherry soda.

The taste was very sweet. In fact, I thought it was way too sweet and a strong black cherry flavor overpowered the beer. There was a slight ketchup taste that I find in flemish sours. It was very hard to get through the bottle by myself. By the end I was in celebration that I was able to finish it.

I feel their Raspberry Tart is a much better fruit beer than this one.

2.24/5  rDev -48.6%

750 ml bottle poured into my lambic glass.

A- Body is beautiful. Its a nearly transparent, rich, dark, gem-like, cherry hue. Pours with a 1-2 finger foamy pink head. Head retains well at about 1/2 finger and leaves plenty of lacing down the glass.

S- Ripe cherry. Like when you open a jar of cherries soaked in cherry juice. Very rich. Cherry pits, cherry tartness, cherry sweetness. Not artificial whatsoever.

T- Taste is similar to the smell. Its very cherry all the way through. A hint more tart than sweet but there is a slight cherry pit woodiness to it as well. Taste is pretty consistent the whole way through and the flavor lingers for a while.

M- Low to medium carbonation with a rich, thick, and sticky mouthfeel.

D- In short I didn't really like this beer at all. I drank one lambic glass full and gave the rest away-which is easy because this is a very popular beer. To me it gave the impression of cough syrup without the medicinal aspect (which would have been an improvement...IMO). I really respect that this beer is all cherry without being artificial...which is why I am trying not to slam it too much...but this brew is just not for me.

2.25/5  rDev -48.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Basically soda

2.36/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

This screams cough syrup. It's a beautiful beer but too medicinal

2.4/5  rDev -45%

2.43/5  rDev -44.3%

A: cloudy reddish brown with a quickly diminishing light tan head receding to a collar of thin lace.
S: cherry cough syrup and some woody/earthy notes.
T: cherry cough syrup and some woody earthy notes as above. medium/full sweetness, tartness and sourness equally so. these two intermingle in a long sweet and sour dark cherry finish.
M: light to medium body, much bigger than the abv would suggest, i suppose from the residual sugars. kinda slick from the remaining sugars as well.
D: was excited to try this, but somewhat let down. a darkish cherry 7-up mixed with some children's cherry cough syrup would be an apt comparison. hopefully this review (with it's high rDev and low score on a high rated beer) won't get deleted.

2.45/5  rDev -43.8%

A- Poured a red color that was pretty bright and clear. I knew I was in trouble right then.

S- Smells like a cup of freshly mashed cherries, and some yeast thrown in there.

T- Big and strong cherry flavour and I'm not digging it at all.

M- Great for the style.

D- Way to sweet for me. Glad I got to try it and split this one with a few others.

2.5/5  rDev -42.7%

2.5/5  rDev -42.7%

2.69/5  rDev -38.3%

Been wanting to try this, I do like cherries and Founders Cerise is a beer I enjoy. Had it with a monster tasting of the New Glarus fruit beers.

Pours a darker pink. white head. looks like what I expected a fruity cherry beer to look.
Good carbonation.

Smell is a little off-putting. given reviews thusfar, was hoping for a rich, real cherry vibe. literally smelled like cough syrup or some sort of cherry flavored medicine to my nose.

taste backed up the smell. too sweet. medicinal fake cherries dominate. Compared to the Cran-bic (excellent) and the Raspberry tart (decent), this beer rated the lowest.

Mouthfeel was fine for a medicinal oversweetened cherry beer.

Move along, this isn't the fruit/cherry beer you're looking for. I'm certainly surprised at the ratings around these parts.

2.69/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

4/7/2012

Thanks!

A: Light red with some transparency and a long lasting beige head.

S: Strong cherry presence but the fruit comes across as artificial and medicinal, like cherry cough syrup. Malt is sweet and crackery.

T: Again, cough syrup. Candied cherry cough medicine. Very sweet.

M: Lower medium body with upper medium carbonation.

Overall: I recall liking this quite a bit when I've had it before, but this was too similar to cherry cough syrup. The Raspberry Tart blew it away.

2.73/5  rDev -37.4%

from 5/28/10

I've been very excited to try this beer but deciphering the label has been difficult for me over the past several weeks. After much interweb searching, I was finally able to determine that Wisconsin was indeed part of the Anheuser-Busch sale to InBev which is why this beer can legally be called as it is.
A clear ruby pour with negligible carbonation. I want a fountain of pink foam, but there is a pitiable white dust above the clay. Cough syrup? Ny-Quil? Ahhh, no. Ludens cherry cough drops. They never worked, they were childish and sugary candies. No reward should be given for coughing! That will never ameliorate the situation. As coughing children, we should've had ginger punched into our ears. A much more likely solution to the ole coughing epidemic.
The taste, however, is not bad, heavy, heavy on the cherries with a nearly cloying sweetness and not much else. As the beer warms, it becomes more tolerable, the cherries become more lively, and the experience much more pleasant. Maybe, again.

2.74/5  rDev -37.2%

Sampled through the efforts of 120/190 BIF and lostbearbrew.

Pours a completely opaque reddish brown beer with not a great deal of head. In the looks department this one looks like real crap.

Smell is sweet and sour fruit aroma of raspberries. Not much more in the smell here except the fruit and a lemon edge. Scent is very much like Raspberry Lemonade.

Taste is extremely sweet with the favor of raspberry and tobacco in the first sip. Shockingly sweet with a sour after taste to match it. The after taste of this is all pipe tobacco. Quite powerful and not all that complex.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Well this is official not a favorite beer of mine. Far too sweet and sour this is something like over sweetened Kool aid with tobacco thrown in it. Not recommended.

2.75/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company