Wisconsin Belgian Red | New Glarus Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Reviews: 992 | Ratings: 3,463
4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

An absolute cracker...

The appearance of the beer is simply gorgeous. A shade of brownish red, perhaps a mahogany red. Whatever color you would call it, it is beautiful and not far short of perfect. Wonderful smell, with cherries and oakiness, a touch of hoppiness and malt coming through in harmony. The taste is even better. Cherries dancing on the tongue with the smooth oakiness balancing perfectly. A touch of sourness adds some contrast as well with the traditional beer-like tastes of hoppiness and malt delicately coming through towards the end. A long and smooth finish that is about as delicious and drinkable as beer gets. Exquisite.

4.84/5  rDev +11%

Poured from a very big wax sealed mag, to a pint glass, the liquid is dark red like a burgundy wine with nice carbonation. The head is small with tiny bubbles, no lace either.

The smell is awesome best cherry beer ever.

The taste is enormous, wow what a great tasting brew, lots of semi sweet tart cherries, I'll just close my eyes and I'm back in Door County.

The mouthfeel is realy big and meaty, the carbonaton might not be most beer like but this is a special brew to be sure.

The drinkability very good really a great brew.

Prosit, und Zum Wohl. MK

4.84/5  rDev +11%

I thought my first review should be the best fruit beer I have had to date.
A. Ruby red with tiny bubbles well carbonated.
S. Like McDonalds Cherry pie. I want to smell this beer as much as drink it.
T.Like Sara Lee Cherry Pie in a Glass def taste the "over a pound of Door Cherries per bottle".
M.Carbonated ,like champagne, sweet.
O.Fantastic,light ,fruity, cherries really come thru,crisp a great early morning riser due to the low alc% gladly pay 20$ to get a bottle shipped now and then.

4.84/5  rDev +11%

750 ml bottle poured into Efes tulip. Thanks Cheesemoose! Leathery brown in color, small head, low retention. Clear, sticky lacing. Aroma dominated by cherry (of course). I suppose that it would be easy to screw this flavor up but its done perfectly. Not medicinal, not cough syrup. Splendid. Taste is fascinating, unique and certainly delicious. Cherry sweetness and tartness is front stage and center and just awesome. Amazing and unique beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This drinks like a big beer despite the 4% abv
Looks like sone one took a frozen juice concentrate and cutoff the end of it and plopped the juice sickle in my glass where it melted
Smells of fruit skin and tannins reminds me of a grape or cherry you that has been washed and air dried you don't smell the juiciest yet but you know ow it's right around the corner waiting to fill your mouth and take you on a trip you may be ready for but at this point it's too late and this is happening like right fuckin now
Taste is a cherry pureé big rich perfectly ripe cherry stuffed in a blender obliterated for my drinking pleasure it is so thick and juicy it amazes me there isn't a category for just New Glarus fruit beers because no one does it quite like this fills your mouth like over excited high-school quarter back on prom night and it coats everything and it's a flavor that lasts. Great mouth feel
Overall great beer would revisit at anytime it's put in front of me it's a little rich but oh so worth it once you get a hold of it and try it for the first time. I'd bang this again and again.

4.84/5  rDev +11%

This beer poured a dark glowing red with a few light purple highlights. It was very clear with little bubbles clinging to the inside of my glass. The head was thin, off white and pink that left a thin and delicate lace. Smells initially of sweet cherry pie filling that, for an instant, is rather disappointing. Fortunately, the smell is then backed up with a musky sourness that adds a terrific amount of life and wholesomeness. Along with this fantastic cherry, there seems to be a musky lambic-like yeast. Tastes of powerfully tangy wild cherries. This is not just cherry sweetness, but the flavor clearly reflects actual cherry skin! This, combined with (what I’m guessing to be ) the musky wild yeast creates a smooth and tangy cherry experience that is absolutely amazing. This is quite an accomplishment for the people at New Glarus. (thank you!) The mouth feel had a light soft body with a medium tingly carbonation that’s a wonderful compliment to the tangy aspects of the flavor. I think that the mouth feel plays a crucial role in the delivery of the flavor, earning a high rating form me.

Delicious! Absolutely delicious! This is so easy to drink and just dripping with quality and care. There’s a quality here that makes me wish there was a NA version of this available to have with breakfast every morning. I think I’ll never be able to tolerate fake cherry flavors ever again. This is hands down a fantastic beer! The only shortcoming on its drinkability is the sweetness. It’s necessary for the flavor, but I wouldn’t want to split more than one bottle at any one sitting.

750ml bottle thanks to nflmvp

Pours a hazy red color with a small white head that fades. Mild lacing on the glass.

Big, tart, fresh cherry aroma. Mild hints of sweetness peek through now and then.

Immediate slightly sweet fresh cherry taste that rushes into a puckering tartness. The tartness lingers and creates a mouth watering effect, which makes me eager for the next sip.

Full body, mild carbonation.

Wow, this is a fantastic fruit beer. Once I got started on the bottle, I couldn't stop until it was finished. Truly a pleasure. Not a daily drinker, but certainly one to enjoy on a regular basis. I've never tried anything that I could even remotely suggest as a substitute.

4.84/5  rDev +11%

A- Pours a great ruby. A nice light pink/whitish head forms, but recedes quickly. A little lacing but not as much as I would aspect.

S- Very strong on the cherries. That's the overwhelming profile is slightly tart cherries. I get a slight malt flavor but this beer is designed to showcase the cherries and it does a great job.

T- I love the taste of this beer. No matter how many times I drink it, I always want more. The cherries shine through but in a balanced why so the sweetness is tempered and it's just a perfect complex cherry taste. Every time I drink it, I get new notes out of it. Very fresh with a nice tartness. Absolutely my favorite dessert beer.

M- Medium bodied with a good carbonation. Very delicate on the palate with a little stickiness but very full bodied.

O- Very outstanding! Easily one of my favorite beers. The beer is so unique and so well done that I sometimes am stunned that a cherry beer could be this delicate, fresh, and such a fun drinking experience.

4.84/5  rDev +11%

Thanks to drseamus for bringing this.

A: Cloudy bright red. Minimal white head.

S: Cherries big up front with some sweetness. Tartness in the back.

T: Cherries and tart. The raspberry tart has me dreading this but the tartness was not nearly as strong. Amazing the amount of flavor for such a low ABV ber.

M: Light body making this even more drinkable.

D: Tons of flavor for such a small beer. As a brewer this is one of those beers that toally blows my mind. How did they do this?

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Bottle to Founders tulip.

A - Poured cherry red with a slight glow around the edges. One finger of light brown/cream coloured head formed and receded to a thin layer full of big bubbles.

S - Dark cherries dominate the nose but the aroma is very fresh and not artificial. Lighter notes of spice and sweet bready malts in the background. Almost smells like fresh baked apple pie.

T - Huge fresh baked cherry pie flavour full of dark cherries and sweet flaky pie crust. A touch of spice is present as well. An amazing flavour profile.

M - Almost full bodied. Creamy and thick. Light carbonation.

O - This was by far the best fruit or vegetable beer have had.

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Viggo was nice enough to share this truly excellent beer. huge thanks eric!

750ml bottle, topped in dark red wax.

pours hazy pinkish red with a bit of dense pink head. some spotty lace.

aroma is fantastic. tons of cherry. at a distance it seemed vaguely cough-syrupy, but up close it is great. sour cherries with a nice fresh earthy character. light sweetness. bit of sourness. excellent.

taste is excellent. wow. lots of cherry, but not at all cloying or syrupy. slight sour cherry. bit of spiced cake. hint of brown sugar and spice. truly great stuff.

mouthfeel is awesome. super silky smooth carbonation. nice body, but not at all cloying.

drinkability is excellent. this is a truly excellent beer.

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours deep opaque red/brown. Thin raspy head quickly dissapears, leaving only a solitary island in the center of the glass which slowly vanishes.

Nose is incredibly rich fresh sour cherries over earthy, slight apple-cidery, barnyard and bisquity-grain notes. Hints of chocolate and kirsch develop. Wow.

Even better in the mouth. Simply beautiful and rich on the palate with a penetrating sourness that leaves the tongue tingling. Great body, with a touch of residual sugar to take some of the sting out of the acidity. I'd prefer it to be a bit more sour, but its still an easy "5" as it is.

Great fine carbonation scrubs sourness away at the end of the incredibly long finish. A lick of the lips results in waves of sour cherry echoing across the palate. A tremendous beer.

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Perhaps the best dessert beer I've come across. Massive amounts of sweet cherry up front turn to slightly sour notes on the back end. A sublimely pleasant experience - enough to please even the most hardened IPA drinker. It can be tough to work through a full bottle on your own, but don't share with more than 2-3 people, or you'll feel shorted on your share.

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

This is by far the best fruit beer I have tried. Pours red...cherry aroma...high carbonation. The sweetness and carbonation give a great mouthfeel and I love the sour tart finish of the Door County cherries. I can't image getting any more cherry taste in this beer. Good with chocolate too.

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Thanks to oakbluff in Winterpeg for hooking me up with this. Sampled with some fellow BA's, DrJay, biegaman, and grub.

Pours a very murky red/brown, thick off white head forms, settles down to a think layer and ring, nice lacing on the glass. Smell is amazing, rich real cherries, very earthy, toffee, brown sugar, nice sourness from the cherries, quite amazing. Taste is cherry cake, toffee, nice sour cherries through the middle, spices, some ginger, more cherries and brown sugar. Mouthfeel is full bodied, very thick, silky smooth low carbonation. Fucking amazing beer, just insane, I can't wait to try again! Thanks Scott, I owe you for this one!

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

A- Pours a clear, ruby red with a small white head. Good lacing and head retention.

S- Cherries, hints of vanilla?

T- More cherries...fresh and above all else, real. Tart. Dare I say orgasmic?

M- Dances on the tongue like its sister Raspberry Tart.

D/O- I've had many a beers in my day but this remains one of the best beers I've ever had. Light and fruity, its an easy drinker although I find myself taking small sips just to savor. The epitome of "world class".

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours a brilliant auburn with a ton of tan foam. This smells just like cherry Tangy Taffy! The taste is sweet cherry with hardly any tart presence. Nice thin, bubbly feel and overall fantastic.

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer pours a nice rosey red color with a healthy 2 finger head over top that falls to generously coat the beer. The nose is huge cherry. Wow. It smells really nice, but not too big. The flavor is sour, sour, sour cherry. As soon as the beer departs the glass and crosses my lips, the sour grabs my tongue. As I swallow the beer, a sweetness and slight, very slight maltyness grabs me. The feel is super thick, almost sytupy, staying long on the tongue. This is a nice nice beer.

Edit: I still love this beer. So good. So balanced. A fine beer.

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

I got this bottle in a great trade with joe1510. Thanks a bunch, Joe!!

This isn't my first sample of this brew. I bought a bottle of it and the Raspberry Tart years ago before I started reviewing and have had samples of both every time I've been to the GABF. Boy am I thrilled to have it again!

Pours from capped and mimimally waxed 750ml bottle a cloudy red with a nice solid, be it small, head of foam with some good lacing.

The smell is of cherrries, cherries, and...more cherries!~ A +lb of cherries in every bottle will do that for you. ;^)

The taste...is of wonderful, semi sweet and sweet cherry. In the background, I can just get some wheat, more pronounced when I swish the beer in my mouth, and a slight woody flavour. Boy, is this a joy to sip on and yeah, it's very low in the abv department but when you get a brew of this caliber, sipping is the *only* way to go. The mouthfeel is almost chewy, nah, I'm going to say that it *is* chewy and the carbonation is very lively.. just the right level for me to make my drinking experience stellar. There's also a small hop presence there to add just a touch of bitterness; not too much, mind you, as the cherry flavour is what Belgian Red is all about.

I just poured some more into my glass and I have a huge smile on my face. Wow. Is this ever a satisfying beer.

Bottom line: This is a world class brew that hits my palate on all cylinders. Like I said before I got this in a trade and it certainly won't be the last time I trade for it. Thank again, Joe!!

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

I figure I'll finally review this since it's always at my house and we (my wife) drinks a ton of it.

This beer is fantastic! It pours a cherry red with a bubbly little head. The scent is awesome! Smells like a cherry juice with carbonation. Everything else on this beer is Amazing! It deserves the #37 spot in the top 100!

Everyone should try this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Cheers to Sprinkle for this awesome brew. Pours a murky brown shade of red, with nice lacing. Smells of sweet and slightly tart cherries. Cranberries too, though I know they were not an ingredient in the beer.

Initial the taste is sweet cherry, this soon gives way to sour cherry, delicious, and more complex than I can adequately describe. Malt is there, but completely blends in with the cherries. Mouthfeel is smooth and lively, the bubbles are tiny. I believe this qualifies as a session beer under BA guidelines, if only I had another one or ten or so, I'd drink them all now.

4.86/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint. Thanks to redbird!

Well, this is just a little embarrassing. I held on to this for a long time. Probably longer than I should have, since I got this bad boy about 8 months ago, and who knows how long it was around before then. Hoping for the best! Pours a very hazy red color with a tiny head that drop fast. The smell? Dear GOD that smells good! Cherries! There are cherries in this beer. Lots of cherries. I love cherries. This smells very good. It also tastes like there's cherries in this beer. It does a great job of balancing the sweet and the tart. The mouthfeel is crisp and light, and the drinkability is amazing. Why did I wait so long to pop this one? This is seriously a world-class beer. If you like cherries, you will like this beer. No way around that.

4.87/5  rDev +11.7%

Not really a big fruit beer guy...but this was amazing. Complex, depth, loaded with tart fruit. Seemed to be the right amount of carbonation for the style.

4.87/5  rDev +11.7%

Dark red/brown color, poured from a green glass waxed and capped 25 ounce bottle. Small white head atop. Sweet cherry smell dominates this with a subtle maltiness in hiding, some what like a cherry cider. Taste is extremely cherry dominant, sweet, but not candy-like or cloying. Hops are no where to be seen. A very different fruit beer, nothing like I have ever had. Light evervescent and refreshing.

I took another BA's suggestion, and mixed this with some Young's Double Chocolate Stout, and it was one of the richest and flavorfull beers I have ever had.

4.87/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured into a champagne flute from a 750ml bottle.

A: Pours, an amber/ruby red color w/ a eggshell/pink some what creamy looking head. About 3 fingers worth of head.

S: A mix between a ripe cherry and cherry pie. Just amazing, really catches the essence of a cherry in here.

T: Just the same as the smell, it's sweet, but not too sweet. And's it's tart and but too tart, just like it should be. Very perfectly well executed.

MF: Great dense, creamy mouthfeel, that is actually quite unique and enjoyable.

Overall, I'd suggest you get one of these bottles immediately, and drink it. You won't be disappointed! Wow, this is a great fruit beer right here.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company