Wisconsin Belgian Red | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Ratings: 3,576 |  Reviews: 1,006
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml shared by Klym, cheers to the trader that hooked him up with a ridiculous sub-24 hour trade notice.

Poured into New Glarus Tulip (amazing throw-in!)

A: Carbonated red jello with some continents of film on an ocean of red. Amazing light reds amidst darker tones; and a noticeable near translucency in certain angles. Darker reds give the lighter tones a deep red rose cloak. This is a beer full of optical illusions.

S: This smells exactly like a cherry icee. I feel like i've gone to see some summer mega-flick, and someone poured a slurpee into my glass. Sweet and very candy-like. Late notes of almond vanilla make for an unexpected guest. It's there I swear, give it a whiff then take 3-4 breaths in and out your nose away from the glass. See? Magic!

T: Light and sweet pickled cherry spritzers that rides a peaking tartness to give the smallest notes of alcohol a cloak of invisibility. Carbonated cherry skins that stick on the tongue for a relentless bludgeoning of tingly cherry otter pops. Bright flavors that do a good job of avoiding syrupy concentrations. Great flavor with perhaps even more reservation of sweetness than Raspberry Tart. An excellent balance of all cherry flavors. A slightly drying almond flake in the end that hits just before the vinegar pinch in the throat. This is alive with tartness.

M: Medium-full cotton ball softness in the mouth that disappears like dissolving grains of sugar. The carbonation is mellow, but just welcome enough to prevent any overly syrupy feelings. My mouth never feels coated in grenadine or simple syrups. This also helps the flavors escape the monotone flavors of cherry skins, and transforms the berry into a fruit of more subtle substance. A sugary plum-like character arrives with a familiar cherry finish. The mouth-feel allows this all to happen.

O: This beer is extremely good, and honestly for me is preferable to Raspberry Tart. I think both are great beers, but after having them side by side tonight I think this one is a bit more of a revelation. I think I've seen other beers go similar places to Raspberry Tart in the use of raspberries (perhaps just not as well); however, this is a first for cherries. I didn't know they could be so light and candy-like. I was really impressed how this stayed away from syrupy qualities; which is where I see this being divergent from Raspberry Tart. I wouldn't say grenadine flavors aren't in here, but most certainly the mouthfeel avoids stereotypical coating syrups. It's juicy, it's concentrated, but it's not syrup. I don't even like cherries that much to eat as a form of food, but I'll be damned if I don't drink them again sometime.

A - Vibrant ruby red color. Big head that has a slightly red hue, too. A bit cloudy.

S - No doubt, the BEST aroma on any fruit beer... maybe ANY beer I've had! If I didn't know better, I would guess my glass holds a bunch of crushed cherries. Like a sweet cherry pie filling.

T - Again, very fresh, authentic cherries dominate the flavor, but a distinct white grape juice flavor comes through. More sour than tart, if there is a difference (I think so). An awesome sort of candy sugariness that is fantastic. The complexity and depth of this beer is unbelievable!

M/D - Medium carbonation and body. The taste lingers with you and gives you time to think about it for a minute or longer after having it. One of two perfect beers I have ever had. I need more Wisconsin Belgian Red!

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance: Beautiful dark red hue.

Smell: Aroma of tart cherries.

Taste: Very authentic cherry taste. It's apparent this was brewed with real cherries. Slightly tart.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, yet somehow delicate, almost like the marriage of beer and a fine dessert wine, just as indicated on the bottle

Drinkability: Very easy to drink, but any beer so sweet and tart is best drunk in sips. Ideal for sharing a 750 ml bottle with a few friends after dinner.

Overall, this is a perfect example of what a fruit beer can and should be. New Glarus has many beers worth making the hour-long trip from my home to Wisconsin, and this is certainly one of them.

4.71/5  rDev +8%

3.99/5  rDev -8.5%

4.54/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a copper, amber color with a small slightly off white head and some light lacing on the glass. Aroma of sweet fresh cherries. Taste is sour cherries, alittle yeast, but the cherries are extremely fresh! This was not sickly sweet artificial syrup taste. Hey, I may need another one of these

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Picked up this 750mL from Woodman's in Kenosa a few months ago and just now popping it open.

A: Pours a brownish-orangish amber color with light tan colored head that settles down to just a little bit of bubbles while lacing the glass a little bit.

S: Smells like sour, tart cherries, with some sour apple in there too, some fruity yeast scents

T: very similar to the smell, except with a lot of sweetness that i didn't expect. Sour and tart cherries, with sour apple and fruitiness from yeast. However, the sweetness of the cherries dominates.

M: Very full bodied and carbonated well that coats my palate and throat as it goes down the hatch.

D: Highly drinkable as I can down sweet beers, but this one could be too sweet to drink a whole lot of. This has good flavor and not really any alcohol flavor.

4.59/5  rDev +5.3%

4.54/5  rDev +4.1%

Over a pound of cherries in every bottle! This is an amazing fruit beer. The best cherry flavored fruit beer I've had thus far. Brewed with, " whole Montmorency cherries, Wisonsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barley".

This was a deep rich red color with a pinkish foamy head.

Aroma was of cherries and a slightly belgian candi sugar smell, but not too sweet and the taste was not cloying at all.

Flavor was Cherry, Cherry, Cherry with some slightly sweet belgian yeasty, sugary notes. A little bready, wild, farmhouse taste.

I can't drink too many fruit beers but if I had to this would be the one.

3.88/5  rDev -11%

From a 1Pint 9oz bottle poured into short glass

A- Ruby red, small white head around the edges.

S- Light cherrys a touch of malt in the background.

T- Semi tart cherry very sweet. Alittle bit of a bitter end.

M- Good feel no activity.

D- A slow drinker, very sweet nice desert drink.

Notes: This is a great beer because my girlfriend also like it who at other times usally described beers as too beer tasting... not that I ever understood that. So its worth a try unless of course you hate cherry then don't bother.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

4.06/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

4.04/5  rDev -7.3%

25oz bottle acquired via trade.

full disclosure - fruit beers are NOT my thing; tried many times, just can't get all the way there. having said that, i was suitably impressed with wisconsin red. nice red-purplish color, big fluffy head. the cherries in the nose are out of control! smells like fresh-baked cobbler, not a hint of artificial here.

taste - initially feels overly sweet, but the tart/crispness overpowers any lingering sweetness. clean finish, carbonation is a bit overdone for my tastes.

very glad i got to try something out of the ordinary.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%

More like drinking a fruit juice or drinking a liquid cherry pie than like drinking any other fruit beer. Huge cherry flavor and aroma. Only very slightly sour. Nice deep rich red color. Very, very drinkable. The perfect beer to give to a girl who says that they don't like beer, but why bother wasting such a good beer on a girl that you shouldn't be going out with in the first place.

4.23/5  rDev -3%

750ml. Poured into my snifter.

A: Pours a clear bright cheery red, with a 1/2" off white head that disapated quickly. Nice even ring of lacing in the glass left behind from the head.

S: Very tart and sweet cherries sent. Reminds me of cherry pie.

T: Wow! Thats nice! I read below that some one said this tatse like cherry ludens cough drops. They hit the nail on the head with that one. Its tart at first then finishes sweet.

M: I'd say on the heavier side of medium bodied. Very small carbonation, but hits the tonge just right.

D: This is a good beer! Definitley a sipper. I'm gona have no problem finishing this one on my own! Glad I got another one in the cellar waiting for me!

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

4.56/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company