Wisconsin Belgian Red | New Glarus Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

#287

Ratings: 3,657 |  Reviews: 1,028

4.64/5  rDev +5.9%

Transcribed from undated notes, likely early-2010.

This bottle dated back to Summer 2004, I believe. The pour was lacking any sort of discernible head. Color was a deep red with a slight cloudiness. Nose was like standing in a cherry orchard in the summer and taking a deep breath. I was transported back to the days of my late grandmother's lattice-top cherry pies or making preserves in the early fall. I had some cherry preserves from Traverse City, MI while I was stationed on Diego Garcia that were intense, but this beer ... Holy Cherry, Batman! This left no room for survivors. To say dry would be an understatement. Arid! And cherry! Breathtaking! Mind blowing! Forget other mind-altering substances and put some of this in your peace pipe and smoke it.

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Got this one from Jw347, cheer John!

Pours an effervescent orange/burgundy with a pinkie of ruby pink head. No head retention or lacing

S: Tart cherry, vanilla & oak

T: Tart cherries, oakyness, vanilla, tartness, persimmons & dryness up front. Tartness, cherry & oak dominate as this warms. Finishes tart, dark fruit & cherries

MF: Medium bodied with spritzy carbonation that fades quickly

Pretty drinkable, but the tartness would get to me after 2 or 3 bombers. A beer that both my wife & I enjoyed (that's a rarity when we both like it!).

A classic, shame about the lack of head retention & lacing, but I'd have this in the rotation if I lived in the Dairy State for sure!

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I tried this gem at a friends house. While it might not be my favorite beer style this one was quite good. It poured a rose color with white head that left a spotty lace. From the moment the bottle open until the last drink it was cherry awesomeness. The taste was like a cherry pie. The mouthfeel was medium in body with good carbonation. Overall this is a special beer and well worth the try.

4.29/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Brewed with Montmorency Cherries (purportedly a pound of whole cherries per bottle), locally grown wheat, and Hallertau hops, the beer is then left to mature in 12 ft. tall oak tanks. Okay, great, let's get to it. Murky ruby-hue capped by a flamingo-pink head appearance and harbors an aroma reeking of unabashed cherrynicity, there's nothing fake or artificial about this beer. With a taste reminiscent of fruit leather, the flavor is certainly aggressive in it's sheer determination to cram that pound of cherries down your damn throat. It deftly walks the fine line between sweet and tart and carries with it a jolt of juicy, cheek-pinching acidity. The malted wheat and hops definitely take a backseat to the deep, strong cherry fruitiness. God, I hope you like cherries. The high level of carbonation in the beer does well to bring a much-needed levity to what otherwise would be a heavy body. You do like cherries, right? Overall, a deliciously unique beverage, though I suspect some may be left angrily shouting the catchphrase "Where's the Beer?"

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

4.03/5  rDev -8%

750 mL bottle poured into a goblet. Thanks to MarcatGSB for this bottle!

Appearance - Dark, dull, red with a pinkish, but only slightly pinkish, head. Less brilliant looking than the Raspberry Tart. Great retention, great lacing. Aside from a dismal color, it looks quite nice.

Smell - Fresh cherry aroma. Nothing artificial about it. It smells like a box of cherries.

Taste - Slightly tart cherries, but nothing more than the cherries themselves. A hint of sweetness at the end, but it doesn't build the way the Raspberry Tart did.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and light. The sweetness is really under control with this one. I put this bottle away way too quickly.

Overall - A glass of cherries. If that's what you're looking for, great. It's still tough to rate these bizarre beers.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

From 5/29/10 notes.

a - Pours a ruby red color, with a little bit of reddish, off white head.

s - Smell is wonderful. Lots of cherries, both sweet and sour. Also some other citrus and dark fruits.

t - Taste is great as well. Tastes of sour cherries, sweet cherry, raspberries, and citrus.

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - I thought this was an amazing beer; one of the best fruit beers I've ever had. Very easy to drink, and would love to have again.
___
EDIT on 11/09/12: Have had this many times over the years, most recently last weekend on 11/02/12. Possibly my favorite fruit beer ever; this beer is amazing.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Pours a deep red color, lots of bubbles and a nice pink head that dissipates quickly.

S: Lots of fresh tart cherries, reminds me of a Ludens coughdrop.

T: Tons of cherry flavor, very sweet. A slight malt bready taste, but dominated by the cherries.

M/D: Light to medium bodied with a nice carbonation feel. Very clean and crisp. It is very sweet, but extremely drinkable. One of the best fruit beers I have had. Wish I could get my hands on some more of this.

2.98/5  rDev -32%

Being a huge fan of New Glarus and pretty much everything I've had from them, I was pretty excited to finally try this one. I love cherries, so this has been a want for a bit.

The appearance and smell were awesome. Nice reddish hue and big cherry smell. Good carbonation. Not a huge head. Looking good so far.

Then....I tasted it and I felt like I was a kid again when Mom was trying to shove that synthetic flavored 'cherry' swill down my throat when I had a boo boo. I took another sip, then another, then another...then stopped. Wife tried it and like it...wife gets bottle of Belgian Red.

Really disappointed, esp after how much I love Raspberry Tart and Serendipity. This was not good, at least to me. Wife thought otherwise.

4.67/5  rDev +6.6%

Murky, rust red with highlights the color of not quite ripe cherries. I expected the cap to be girlie pink, but it's actually simple beige in color. Large initially due to a generous amount of carbonation, the head is dense with a stickiness that promotes perseverance and lacing. Soapy, pocked sheets cover a good portion of the glass and stay for the duration.

This beer doesn't smell much like beer due to the all-encompassing aroma of sweet cherries. Forget malt, forget hops, forget anything that isn't pure, unadulterated essence of cherry juice. Thankfully, there are no medicinal (i.e. cough syrup) aromas present. Simply put, this is one of the best fruit beer noses that I've ever smelled.

I love it! Wisconsin Belgian Red tastes deeper and more hearty than most cherry beers. Along with the bright fruit flavor is a more earthy, muscular flavor that is more akin to dried fruit or fruit jerky than it is to fresh cherries or cherry juice. The degree of acidity is nigh on perfect. As noted in the nose description, there isn't a whole lot present that isn't cherry related, just variations on the theme and layers upon layers of flavor.

The body is full in the best sense of the word, with a lush, mouthfilling, thickly coating feel. The sugar content is high and limits drinkability for me. Unless I can get my wife to drink some (extremely doubtful) I won't be able to finish this big bottle in one sitting. Despite the note on the label ('highly carbonated') and the loud 'pffft' upon opening, I don't really appreciate an excessive amount of carbonation. The CO2 does its part to aerate the thick, syrupy body without calling attention to itself.

WBR seems to be a 'love it or hate it' kind of beer. I recognize that though it's beer in the technical sense, it doesn't much resemble beer in the classic sense. I've decided to judge it on its own merits with my enjoyment as the sole criterion. It's hard for me to imagine a fruit beer in general and a cherry fruit beer in particular that is more delicious than Wisconsin Belgian Red. I've waited quite a while to taste this one and I have to say that it has exceeded my expectations with room to spare.

4.25/5  rDev -3%