Wisconsin Belgian Red | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Reviews: 992 | Ratings: 3,463
4.7/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to EliteDigger for hooking me up with this one!

This beer pours a beautiful, cloudy, deep mahogany with a warm reddish hue, almost purple. There is a fizzy quality that creates a nice, off-white head with a red tint. Some lines of lacing are left behind.

First smell to hit my nose is sweet cherries. It reminds me of a black cherry soda.

Taste is sweet black cherries with a tart finish. The flavor coats the inside of my mouth and the tartness lingers for a while. It becomes even more tart as it warms. I actually enjoyed this beer at a colder temperature; I found it very refreshing.

This beer reminds me of a nice black cherry soda, except the beer's sweetness is not as overbearing, its body is more robust, and its carbonation bubbles are much smaller, giving it an enjoyable mouthfeel. This is a very unusual beer, like nothing I've ever tasted before.

This is a great fruit beer; just thinking about some other fruit beers that I think missed the mark (Southern Tier's Raspberry Porter comes to mind), this beer is right on. The sweetness is accompanied by a thick, full body and enticing tartness that makes me want to keep drinking.

4.44/5  rDev +1.8%

It is amazing that anyone could capture the smell and taste of this beer. The beer is ruby red in the glass with a smallish white head. The smell is purely cherry like pie filling or marachino (sp) cherries. An amazing smell for a legitamate beer. I absolutley love it. The taste is largely sweet, and quite tart in the finish. Possibly some slight hops in there but mostly just cherries. The mouthfeel is quite creamy and good very nice. If you can get your hands on this one...try it. It is what it is and it is damn fine at that. Drink it after a big meal and you cannot help but be satisfied.

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Wow. This was good. Poured from a champagne bottle; it has a garnet color with a small slightly pinkish head. The beer is light in carbonation although this meshes well with the sour and sweet tastes that are imparted from the cherries. Has a tremendous and complex cherry taste. This bottle was gone way too fast.

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks again to LJArsenal, my Wisconsin pipeline, for this trade. I have to say that I wasn't expecting great things from a fruit beer, but god damn this is hitting the spot right now.

A - Bottle is sealed with red wax. Pours a deep red and brown with a beautiful 1/2 inch pinkish off-white head. Lacing goes all around the glass.

S - Lambic sourness with cherries prevalent in the background.

T - Syrupy cough medicine from childhood. Cherry and malt with other dark ripe fruit.

M - Thick and syrupy, mild carbonation tingle at the end. Coats the tongue similar to tannic wines.

D - A beer I'd want to drink around Christmas instead of those shitty macro Christmas beers.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Was able to get a bottle in a trade. Really have been into fruit beers recently, and this one did not disappoint.

red cherry appearance. Big foamy head. Strong carbonation is visible.

Tons of cherry in the nose. I saw someone mention a creamy/buttery scent, and I definitely picked up on that.

Taste was a fantastic representation of cherry freshness. Extremely addictive taste. Very refreshing. Easily drinkable. Not overly sweet.

Light-body with strong carbonated feel. Creamy.

Wonderful beer that I had on my Want list for a very long time. Exceeded expectation. Would purchase over and over.

4.77/5  rDev +9.4%

2 year old bottle. I've been sitting on this bottle for a while now. Drank the first one I had about a year ago. Decided to crack this one tonight. Why? Just because.
Poured into my Houblon Chouffe snifter.
Pours a clear garnet hue with a quick off white head. Head disapates to a nice ring of lace with some clinging lace up the sides. Lace is long lasting and clings throughout the entire session. Even roughing up the beer a bit, the secondary head drops very quickly. Frothy but quick. No signs of carbonation.
First whif is straight cherry reduction. Deeper than any cherry could give straight from nature though. Deep and rich and sugary, but definitely inviting. No hops present. No discernable malt overtones. Just cherries. Lucious, slightly smokey cherries.
Now for the goods. The taste. First thing that comes to mind is blood soaked cherries. I thought that the first time I tried this beer, and a year later, that's still what I think. You get a rich, tart, almost coppery tang. I can't expliain how deep the flavors go. Slightly sour, not like a lambic, but there is some "twang" there. Sweet and extremely drinkable.
EXTREMELY drinkable. No alcohol is present. Medium mouthfeel fills the mouth with cherry goodness.
This is a gorgeous beer. Albiet not for everyone, but I love cherries. This is the best fruit beer I've ever had. I dare someone to try to one-up this one. Good luck.

Bottle gotten via a trade with JeffKrenner

A: Poured a bright reddish with brown hues. 1 inch pink head that went down to lacing after a couple minutes.

S: Smells like fresh cherry pie.

T: Taste is simply amazing. Cherries, sour cherries, and umm cherries. As it warms up a nice chocolate taste starts coming through that took me awhile to nail down, but I thought it was tootsie roll flavored. Man thats a nice combo.

M: Smooth, very full and kinda tart which really brought everything together.

D: Quite probably the most enjoyable beer I have had to date. Gave my parents a try and neither of them who really cares for beer both said that 1 they would go out and buy. I know if I ever get the chance to get more of this, I will stock up. This beer is a must try for anyone especially if you enjoy cherries.

4.54/5  rDev +4.1%

Thanks to a good friend in Wisconsin for shipping me some of this! I have the Raspberry Tart up next.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bottle into a snifter style glass.

A: Beer pours an absolutely gorgeous red color that is clear, effervescent, but has little to no head or lacing.

S: Smells like cherries and nothing else. Reminds me of a cherry pie from the smell, slightly tart and slightly sweet.

T: I can't imagine a fruit beer tasting any better than this. It's straight cherry pie filling that is refreshing and so good. Goes down really easy, but I like to sip it because the tartness coats my mouth with each sip and I want more.

M: A little undercarbonated maybe, but aside from that I have no complaints. This one is great.

D: I don't think I could drink more than 2 8oz glasses of this due to its tartness, but man does it taste good.

This may be the best fruit beer on the planet. I know I haven't had a better one yet, but it is very delicious and ANYONE beer drinker or not should seek this one out if they get a chance. This could convert some non-beer drinkers to start.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

Thank you Mark for this beer. We don't get New Glarus in IN, so this was a real treat.

A: Reminds me of the inside of a chocolate covered cherry. The amber hue when the chocolate and the cherry mix together.

S: I knew I was in for a good beer when I could taste it before the first sip. An overwhelmingly balanced yet intense smell of tart cherries, with a backdrop of some mild sweetness.

T: Strong but amazingly well balanced cherry taste. It is definitely real cherry here, no extract. Tart and sweet all at the same time.

M/D: Normally, I would say you couldn't drink more then one or two of these throughout the course of a night, not this one. It has a nice rich body with perfect carbonation. I really want to drive the four hours to Wisconsin to buy this again right now. For my first beer from New Glarus I would have to start the slow clap and build up to a thunderous roar...

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Beautiful light red clear beer with light pink finger width of head.

S: Smells very strongly of cherries. Reminds me of children's cough syrup but one i would like to actually drink/taste.

T: Its a very good beer, reminds me of a wine more than a beer though. Tastes of cherry and berries. It is a drinkable beer and I think it has a great taste.

M: Great crisp, light, moderately carbonated drink.

O: Overall, i love this beer. Very easy to drink and pleasant taste.

4.37/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Pours a deep reddish brown with a creamy froth with pinkish tones.

S: Wow, the cherries hit me upon opening the bottle and continue to dominate the nose. Very tart and a tiny bit of fink. Lovely.

T: More tart cherries. Very sweet complimented with a little sourness.

M: Thick and syrupy with loads of carbonation. Reminds me of a flavored soda.

D: Very enjoyable, but certainly only one in a sitting and it should be shared. I will certainly be enjoying more of these in the future.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a flute.

Pours a hazy brownish red with a short lived earthen tone head. The aroma is juicy tart cherries. The taste is tart cherries upfront with a sweet and slightly bitter finish. Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated. Easy drinking, but well suited for sharing due to the tartness.

An excellent brew and a definite must try!

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

Bought this while in Madison. Poured a dark red color with a off white head. Aroma heavy of cherries. This beer is always on hand at my house; perfect for dessert and great for people looking to try something different. First drink was very sweet. Very delicious fruit beer.

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Bottle. Poured a cloudy reddish-purple color with a light white head. No lacing. Aroma is very strong with a nice sour cherriness to it. Mouthfeel is excellent as it is very smooth. Flavor is a nice tart cherry taste with a nice sour aftertaste. An excellent beer.

Brought this back from a recent trip from WI. What a great gem!
A: Pours a light burgundy. A good 1/2 inch head that dissipates into a tight lacing.
S: Wonderful cherries.
T: Wow, you forget that you're drinking an ale. It's sweet, but not overly sweet. This would be a great desert beverage.
M: Medium-high carbonation makes this go down smooth, almost like champagne.
D: Highly drinkable.
All in all, you must get this beer. Great job, Mr. Carey.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance is hazy orange with red and pink hues. A rocky white head settles after a moment to a thin layer. Aroma has cherry pie upfront but behind that there is some nice malty notes and other interesting finds like buttery graham cracker crust and cheesecake. Flowery hops dance around the malt and cherries. Very complex nose. Right out of the gate in the taste is fresh Door-county cherry pie! What follows is an interesting mix of malt and rose-like hop flavors. Hop bitterness, however, is fairly restrained and it could be ramped up a bit to balance the moderate sweetness. I'm shocked this is only 5%ABV because the mouthfeel is like a Belgian Strong Ale. A very complex beer that you could spend all night finding new things to discover within. Don't miss it!

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into a champagne glass. Thick cream colored foam on top of a light burgundy red beer. Slowly dissipates to a ring with nice lacing. Smell is sweet cherry reminiscent of candy. Taste is more of a sweet darker cherry. Not very complex.  Light mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Overall a very nice cherry ale. Not overly sweet and easy to drink. I've not found anyone that doesn't like it.

The brewery confirmed the date on this bottle as March of 1999. From the collection of my late aunt, it was stored on its side in the refrigerator. This is my first time having this beer.

Served in a flute.

A- Hazy red, hints of brown. Off-white head, moderate carbonation.

S- Delicious, complex cherries. Like cherry Kool Aid, but real.

T- Heavy on the cherries here, not a lot on carbonation or much of anything else. Perhaps it has lost something here.

M- Moderately thick, but not syrupy.

O- Definitely nothing bad to say about it. Even with its age, this was my favorite beer I had on Christmas! Especially as it warmed up, I was left wanting more.

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The smell of cherries overwhelms you upon pouring this beer. The beer pours a small white head with little to lacing. The taste is of sweet cherries from the first sip to the last. One of the best fruit beers I have tried.

3.85/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Shared a bottle - pours light into glass. Smell is very fruity. Little head. Not as tasty as Serendipity or Raspberry Tart, but still very pleasant. Feel is very light - almost wine-like.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

New Glarus Belgian Red, my all-purpose bribe when I need an out-of-state friend to let me sleep on their couch. Reviews on here regularly start with "I usually don't like fruit beers, but...", and I'll add to that chorus, along with numerous people I've made try it. Pours a beautiful ruby red, with more of a fizz than a foam and a tremendous cherry aroma that foreshadows exactly what you're about to get yourself into. The bottle calls it "the marriage of wine and beer", although I'm not sure there's too much wine to it outside of the fact that it's partially fruit-derived. Instead, it's more like soda pop for grownups, emphasis on the for grownups part. It could easily have been too sweet like a Smirnoff Ice or the like, but instead, it lands in a very rare place - the sweet spot of sweet, if you will. There is practically no place I can think of where it wouldn't be drinkable - on its own, with dinner, even with dessert. The only complaint I have is that it has a way of disappearing far too soon.

I was greatly surprised to find that this offering by the folks at tiny New Glarus Brewery had the kind of national following that it does. It deserves it. Try it at least once.

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle
Pours like Champagne into flute. Murky red liquid topped by a quickly disappearing thick rose head. No lacing. Cherry aroma (duh) not too overpowering. Glad to see this. So often the aroma in fruit beers is too much. Taste was fruity with yeasty finish. Moves between sweet and sour while on the tongue. Cherry Pie in a bottle.

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Traded with justn. Split two ways and poured into large flute glass.

A- Deep red cherry color. Gorgeous off-white rocky head with nice retention. Lacing all the way down the flute looks great.

S- Cherries, cherry cough drops (Ludens), wheat and chocolate. No identifiable hops or barley, pure fruit beer.

T- Are there cherries actually in the bottle? Cherry medicine, with a bit of tartness, but not sour. Again, no hop or barley character. The taste really sticks between sips. Maybe a bit more dry and this would be incredible.

M- Much more body than I expected. Silky, with a tingle of carbonation.

D- For such a strong cherry flavor, extremely drinkable. I wish I didn't split the bottle.

Great fruit beer. Its nice to have a pure fruit beer and not a beer with fruit. A little drier and more carbonation and this would be perfect.

Reviewed from notes taken at Greg's epic Wall St. tasting

A - Pours a reddish brown, with a light pink head that quickly recedes to a small collar.

S - CRANBERRIES! (thats all I wrote, but I have a distinct memory of how one-dimensional this was)

T - A typical fruit beer: very one-dimensional, but hammers its point home quite ferociously. A tad cloying.

M - Very thin, too light and champagne-like for my tastes.

D - Very drinkable, could session this all day but for the limited distribution. However, just because you could doesn't mean you should...

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Holy cats, this beer is just phenomenal.

It looks like melted rubies. Seriously, liquid rubies, were that possible. It actually smells better than actual cherries. I am not sure how they did that, but I swear, they have a deal with satan to make something that smells better than cherries (which already smell hilariously good...like a 3rd grade crush). It tastes pretty much like it smells and feels so nice going down. It has a really soft step and I could easily drink two or three 750s without impairing my ability to bowl.

If I had but one wish it would be that New Glarus somehow made this more sour. It would be my favorite beer in the world. God bles you, New Glarus.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company