Wisconsin Belgian Red | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Ratings: 3,567 |  Reviews: 1,003

4.77/5  rDev +9.4%

Just a wonderful fruit beer. Thick and luscious like a true apple cider only pink. Loads of tart cherries and hints of spices. Smells great, tastes great. Feels like velvet on your tongue. Not overly sweet at all and therefore very drinkable.

Over the weekend I sat out on a lake in Northern Wisconsin and consumed a bottle that I had kept in a cupboard for at least three years. I was a bit nervous that the beer would have spoiled but it hadn’t. It tasted exactly as I remembered it tasting fresh from the brewery.

Moreover, the beer was a perfect pick for the colorful fall day. It feels very much like a homemade cider and this makes it fit naturally with changing leaves and fire pit conversation.

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Green 750ml wax sealed bottle. They didn't do a good job on the cap waxing. Half of the cap was missing wax. Simple beige label with 3 bright cheeries and a "World Champion" square right next to it. No back label because everything was found on the large front label including 2 small paragraphs that talk about the beer and t tiny printed signatures of the brewmaster/owners. I wish there was a vintage date on the bottle.

A beer of this caliber deserves a special glass so I poured it into my Maudite Snifter. The beer didn't pour a solid cherry red color. It was a mixture of red colors. There was some cherry red, ruby, crimson, and even some raspberry red in there. This was one murky red beer. It was so murky that I couldn't even see the silhouette of my fingers on the other side of the glass. That's murky! The head of foam was a disappointment. A super tiny beige skim of foam emerged from the pour, but it quickly faded into oblivion. No rings, no lace, nothing. Cool color, but that head of foam took it down a bit.

Wow! What an aroma! This is one potent beer. It wasn't sour, but the beer's tartness made up for the sourness. It smelled like cherry lifesavers mixed in with cherry wine and a large cherry Slurpee. As you can tell, the aroma was all about the tart cherries. If you're looking for more than just one strong aroma in a beer, then you're not going to like this aroma. There was nothing before or after the tart cherries. I really enjoyed it. It was hard for me to stop sticking my nose in this beer to grab the occasional large whiff of tart cherries.

This is of course where you get to taste the tart cherries that were in the aroma. Yes, the one and only aroma. It tasted like it smelled. It tasted like liquefied cherry (red) Life Savers and blended into a cherry Slurpee. If you've never had a cherry Slurpee before, then imagine drinking a cherry slushie. If you never had a slushie before, then you're screwed. The cherries in the taste had a cool tartness. The tartness was subtle in the beginning and then it slowly built up. If you want a little diversity in your beer, then its best you stay clear of this beer. Cherries all the way!

This was a light bodied beer with a low level of carbonation. It may have been light bodied, but the aftertaste was full flavored. Like the aroma and taste, the aftertaste was strong with tart cherries. This strong tart cherry based aftertaste lingered on for a long time. It took a few glasses of water to cleanse my palate.

Cherry this and cherry that. This review sounded like a broken record. I'm sorry, but this beer was just tart cherries and nothing more. No malt, no raspberry, no hops. Just tart cherries. This was an extremely easy drinking beer. The ABV% won't sneak up on you. It was hard for me to put this beer down. I wish I could find a steady supply of this beer. Big thanks to my good BA friend Meatyard for hooking me up with this delicious beer.

3.68/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a deep ruby color with no head and some carbonation with a very thin ring of lacing.

Scent of tart maraschino cherries, and that's pretty much it, good stuff.

Taste of tart cherries with a hint of cinnamon, some sugars and a hint of banana in the finish.

Mouthfeel is clean and biting, similar to the Raspberry Tart.

I prefer the Raspberry Tart over this because this one is a little shallow to me. It is good though and I will likely purchase it again.

2.5/5  rDev -42.7%

3.4/5  rDev -22%

This beer offers lots of big cherry flavor, replete with a puckering mouthfeel of cherry sourness. It is good, but doesn’t really rank among my most enjoyable beer experiences. It offers a cherry tartness so rich, I feel like Pac-Man (level one) when drinking it. I would almost prefer something a bit more understated and nuanced, like the Lindemans kriek. Still, I love sour, so it is difficult for me to badmouth this beer.

Its color was not as pleasant as I expected (more of a red brown than a brilliant ripe-fruit red), and aroma was just so-so, but that flavor was a big punch of flavor that I really enjoyed.

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

4.29/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a rich red color with a pinck head. Whole lot of lace lining my chalice. Aroma is very sweet and fruity--all cherries. Thank God not marachino cherries though. Flavor is almost all cherries, but I am picking up some sweet spice as weel and just a touch of hops at the finish. Cherries came across as pie filling very sweet and tart. The tartness clung to the inside of the mouth, but did not coat it with a scummy feeling. Mouthfeel is very full flavored. Finish is just slightly dry and some cinnamon. Very easy to drink the bottle.

4.24/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is my official 200th review, so I thought I would pull something special out of the cellar. I have been looking forward to this one, so what better time?

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish brown color what had about a half inch head of off-white bubbles at first pour. The head didn't stick around all that long to end up a small layer on top of the beer. There is some light lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: Rich and tart cherry aroma's dominate the profile as the beer is really cold. As it warms a bit, there is a bready yeast aroma coming out.

Taste: The flavor is very cherry pie like. In fact you can even pick out some bready flavors that taste like the crust. Amazing! There is also an underlying earthy malt (I guess) that is a subtle, but notable, part of the flavor. The finish is a bit syrupy and sweet. As the beer warms a bit, the flavor is moving a bit more toward the tart side...which is nice.

Opinion: Even though the fruit beers aren't my favorite, this beer goes down really smooth. It is a bit on the sweet side for my taste, but I prefer the fruit Lambics...especially Cantillon. I have had this bottle for about a year now, so I thought that the sourness would increase with age. I am pretty satisfied that isn't the case, so I will have to try a fresher example next time.

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.62/5  rDev +6%

A= pours a thick dark red color very dark red with a tiny pinkish head rising from it and no lacing. Pretty much what I expected.
S= Cherries all around. Somehow it also keeps the beer character to it as well though. Pretty good odor from it.
T= Cherry Pie!!! Wow tastes just like cherry pie so much that I'm actually starting to believe I can taste the crust in it. Toward the end there is a very very slight Belgian beer character which is prolly why I think I can taste crust.
M= Great carbonation and Sweet medium body
D= Amazing. I would expect nothing less. This beer actually tastes like cherry pie and is a delicious dessert beer. Great brew.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

4.09/5  rDev -6.2%

Awesome waxed 750 from laymansbeerfan, thanks! Into wine glasses with the wife...

A: Dark tawny red, unfiltered it would seem, with a significant off-white head and some decent lacing.

S: Fresh cherries immediately, more sweet than tart, lending to suggestions of pie filling and Maraschinos. Underlying sweetness, could be the cherries but could also be the bready malt base lending hints of brown sugar. Vinous fruitiness on the nose as well.

T: More of the same, sweet cherries followed by a flash of tartness. Sweeter bready malt base is there, tasting like the underlying graham cracker crust on a cherry pie.

MF: Very creamy for 4% abv fruit beer. Proper carbonation to cleanse the palate from the sweetness.

O: Pretty nice. Sweet cherry character isn't cloying but dominates the nose and palate until the tartness shows up on the finish. A very well executed cherry beer, yet more tartness would have been awesome.

4.56/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company