Raspberry Tart | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

Added by xlperro on 04-21-2002

Reviews: 928 | Ratings: 3,767
4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

Pretty ass pink beer. Smells of juicy raspberries and a little bit of oak. Mild tart effect on the mouth. Sweet, but not sugary. Wheat grist gives a good mouthfeel for it. Not sour really even though it is spontaneously fermented.

I drink this all morning when I get the chance. Crushed a bottle with the jury after my Burning Man not guilty on all counts verdict. Good times.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

-Thank you very much to Emperor Stan for this one.

The wax is a nice touch on the bottle. Pours a very violet red almost winish. There is also very little dark carbonation.

True to its name smells deeply of raspberries with a tart sweetness coming through too.

Very tart and raspberry sweetness the finish reminds me of drinking prosecco in Italy. The carbonation and tartness are very pleasing to the tongue.

Might be good for a desert beer. Not something I would drink on the regular, but a pleasant surprise.

poured into a flute

A- pours a very sexy dark ruby red. Head is slightly tinted but doesn't hang around long.

S- smells like fresh tart raspberries, very nice, excellent balance between tart and sweet.

T- Straight raspberries here, in my opinion this is a more "natural" raspberry taste than some of the super-sweet versions out there. This again strikes a nice balance and I'm really able to enjoy it.

M- I was expecting a little more carbonation, and that would have helped everything stand out just a bit more. It wasn't flat, but carbonation was minimal.

O- A very nice brew I will be sure to get whenever I can (not often, but thanks to the beer mule network that brought me this one!) Not sure if the carbonation is consistent between bottles, it's still good enough that I'd search out another bottle to see if it has more carb to it.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

The fruit beers by New Glarus are very powerful. Heavy in the mouth as well as heavy on the use of fruit. The healthy use of fruit always overpowers the flavor of the beer. But this is meant to be sipped by a fire and enjoyed for it's richness and developing complexity. This is great stuff. But it is prettyy sweet, one glass is plenty, gimme a pale ale.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

It is somewhat difficult to review to style on something of a catch all style, so I will try my best with this one. One of my few remaining top 100 that I have in my cellar, been sitting on this for a while. New Glarus' Belgian red was fantastic, and this one gets similar love. I hope it gets similar love from me. Here we go!

Look is something like a cranberry or grape juice which looks good. I am going to penalize it a bit for the lack of head retention and lacing, but otherwise no problem with the appearance here.

Scent is, no surprise here, very strong sugary raspberry. A slight bready scent as well. Good, but one dimensional. It's difficult to not judge this against wild ales which would be penalized for not having a bit more to it, but this is exactly what it says it should be.

Taste however is very very good. I don't even like raspberry, but I like this. Not cloyingly sweet or sour, a pleasant (surprise) raspberry burst that has some candy character. Very good but just a little too rich, so rich that I will probably not be able to kill the bottle in one sitting.

Mouth is great, syrupy and bubbly. That is to say it's thick, which again would seem off in a wild ale or lambic, but works here.

Overall I'm going to come in slightly below the average rating on here, but this is a very good beer. Given the option I am going to opt for it's Belgian Red brother every time, but this is still a damn good beer.

From Notes:
Pours a burgundy/red color with a thin head, quite nice looking.

Aroma is sweet raspberry, some tartness and a very slight malt presence.

Taste starts sweet with raspberry and a light malt taste. Transitions into a tartness with raspberry and that sour mash taste. Finish is tart malt and light lingering fruit flavor.

I very much enjoyed this beer though it is a bit sweet for my taste.

4.06/5  rDev -6.5%

thanks to brdc for the trade.

1pt 9oz green bottle, with dark red wax around the cap. no date found. tasted in mid-may 2009.

VERY dark, purplish red. actually almost opaque! but dark gemstone ruby, with clarity under direct light. 1-finger pink head, fades to wisps and ring, replenished by duvel tulip's etching. some nice, light pink lacing, relatively consistent.

aroma: rich raspberry aroma, almost jammy and preserves-like. faintest whiffs of vinegar, wood and funk.

taste: blast of fresh and preserved raspberries. tart indeed, but fresh and fruity, with just a note towards the vinegar. hint of wood. quite sweet, but balanced by the acidity. some malt detectable underneath.

light to medium body, with lots of acidic texture, accentuated to moments of sharpness by the otherwise mild to moderate carbonation.

a bit too straightforward, without other complexities showing through strongly enough. still, it is what it is - a great fruit beer.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Ruby red with a quickly dissipating head--to nothing; mild bubbling but mostly still; looks like cranberry juice

S: tart fruits: raspberries, apples, cranberries with faint cider and vinegar; quite vinous too--hard to tell this is beer

T: Sweet with a dry finish; loads of raspberries (and perhaps cranberry flavors too); slightly tart; this is a tasty dessert beer

F: Sticky with a medium body; really sticky all over the mouth

O: For a dessert beer this is awesome but the sweetness--though not cloying--does become slightly wearing

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to Cooperrip for sharing this bottle with me.
Poured into non-descript brandy snifter.
Poured a hazy, bloodied-raspberry purple. Minimal pinkish head with some slight lacing .
Aroma of fresh raspberry puree. Quite sweet on the nose. Reminded me of a Flintstone raspberry sherbet push-up from when I was a kid. Man I love those things.
Taste of fresh raspberry puree. Quite sweet on the tongue with some tartness for a decent balance.
Really, it's a medium carbonated raspberry puree in a bottle.
No hops, no malt. Just raspberries. Medium mouthfeel, and a bit cloying. Quite tasty, but I don't think I'd be able to drink an entire bottle myself.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

750ml bottle obtained via trade with kmpitz2. Thanks for the opportunity... Capped and sealed in red wax.

Poured into Rapscallion glass, formed 1" of Strawberry Quik pink head over the translucent raspberry red brew. Head lasts well, and lacing was good. Aroma is deeply of sour raspberries, as advertised. Taste starts with a mouthful of raspberries, some maltiness in the middle, then switches over to the tartness, which is somewhat subdued, we're not talking Cantillon sour here. Seems like it could just meld the flavors together a tad better, somehow. Mouthfeel is good, but the drinkability is quashed a bit by what seems to turn almost cloyingly sweet raspberry at the beginning of each mouthful. A nice brew, but maybe not quite so hype-worthy.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to Mauerhan for sharing this beer with me and that one guy...oh yeah....PatronWizard.

A: Appeared thin with a dull pink head that didn't last very long, but settled in my glass with a cherry-purple hue.

S: Similar to a Framboise (like my good buddy Mauerhan indicated); The aroma has a little bit of cherry along with the raspberry character.

T: Not as much berry flavor as I expected, which I actually pleased about, along with a perfect amount of sourness. It reminds me of that sour-type sugar they place on the licorice candy (can't think of the name of it, LOL).

M: Light-body, which I think is perfect for this style, along with a smooth and subtle carbonated feel.

D: Easy...no alcohol...something everyone could enjoy.

Overall: I usually avoid beers that are similar to this, but I was pleasantly surprised after sipping on this great gift from Mauerhan. A try it beer. Cheers!

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Another nice beer supplied by DirtyLou.

Poured a blood red in color with a pretty pink head that receded to around the edges of the glass. Actually poured kind of like syrup.

Nose is all raspberries. Very sweet.

Flavor is an even bigger whallop of what I got from the nose. V ery sweet raspberries that quickly becomes tart. Very cloying flavor that never really recedes.

Feels like my tastebuds are standing up. A bit puckering but too sweet for it to be over the top. Bit syrupy.

Great beer, but the whole bottle was awfully tart for one person alone.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Stuck in Wisconsin for work for the week, I stopped in a local gas station for a snack - unlike gas stations in KC, this is the beer and cheese state, and has a variety of New Glarus beers in a special stand alongside the BMC. Sweet! I am though in a hotel, drinking from the small water glasses - I'm going to have eight glasses of beer tonight!

Pours clear red, with just a hint of rosy purple - a thing ring of pink head, but it even leaves at least some lace on this tiny glass. A bit of an odd color for a beer, but nonetheless looks attractive.

Smells like raspberries - tart, sweet, berry-like.

Tasty in a non-beer sort of way - more like the cran-rasp cocktail you might find at your local mega-mart. Tart, with raspberries being the most obvious component.

Sparkling, and with a lasting tart sweetness. Gets sticky on the tongue, which allows the little bit of hoppiness to stay in the mouth and eminate.

Really enjoyable, but as I am with the entire bottle this eveing, it might be overwhelmingly sweet, but I'm still looking forward to finishing it.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

bottle poured into a wine glass. pours a deep garnet/rouge with a touch of orange mixed in. a single finger of light off white head tops it off, which has poor retention and leaves no lacings.

aroma is of fresh, ripe raspberries with a very light funked note and undertones of vinous fruit.

taste is of the same raspberry note from the aroma with a distinct tartness and a light effervescence that blends into a light acidity. well put together on the palate with a finish that gives way to a more pronounced note of funk after the tartness subsides.

mouthfeel is light bodied, tart and effervescent. a touch acidic as well. wonderful on the palate.

drinkability is great. soft and pleasant, this brew will convert many sceptics to the world of better fruit beers. cheers!

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance: Raspberry pour (almost blood red) with a pink frothy head, looks like desert!

Smell: Raspberries, but a bit sweet and with a bit of twang. Not much else (this beer is a one trick pony, but intended to be thus).

Taste: Once again, raspberries with a sour twang. Perhaps just a hair sweeter than I would like. I prefer a good lambic, but this is a good beer for what it is. I wish I could put this on some ice cream. I feel like "sweet" should be in the title over "tart" however.

Mouthfeel: Not quite as thick or syrupy as Belgian Red. Sweet, but not sticky. It is velvety smooth though.

Drinkability: This one disappeared a bit faster than the Belgian Red did. A bit too sweet and fruity to want it very often or in quantity, but still a good and highly drinkable beer.

4.04/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours crimson color with a thin red head that quickly fades to a few bubbles sitting on top. Very little lacing is left on the glass.

Smells like concentrated raspberries. A bit juice like. Does not smell fermented at all.

Raspberry Tart. That is exactly what you get in the flavor. Big splash of raspberry sweetness with a mouth puckering finish. Lingering raspberry aftertaste. Tastes nothing of beer or any alcoholic beverage. Maybe a little alcohol flavor would improve this beer by cleansing the palate.

Very sweet without leaving a syrupy consistancy. Has a light body actually. Carbonation is abundant but not harsh.

If a person loves raspberries they will love this even if they don't like beer. No beer or alcoholic flavor at all. Probably best served as a dessert beverage. Too sweet for continous consumption.

4.04/5  rDev -6.9%

Sent from Wisconsin by a friend. Poured into a champagne flute from a 750 ml. From notes of 3/20.

Color is hazy red, purple color with a pinkish white head that has good retention. Smell is most definitely raspberry, followed by more raspberry. If I concentrate, I can pick up some oak notes. Taste is initially tart, but quickly overwhelmed by the raspberry flavors and a lot of sweetness. Almost tastes like a raspberry soda, with really bright fruit flavor. Body is light/medium with a lot of carbonation. Overall, it's a really good and enjoyable drink, just a bit on the sweet side for me.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Cool pink and purple appearance, lighter pink for the head which was right where it should be. Aroma was of good raspberry, not much tartness.

Taste, wait, why do they call this tart? Wasn't really tart or sour, you had to search for it. Didn't think the mild tart was at all balanced with the sweetness. Wheat base evident. All this didn't make for a bad beer by any means, just one very different than my expectations. I was hoping more Bottleworks XII raspberry flavor and sourness. This is just a straight fruit beer.

Nice stuff on a hot day. Crisp, clean in the mouthfeel. Really just plays the raspberry card. No real hop character to speak of.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Trade score! Poured into a tulip. Excited as this is the first New Glarus that I am having to opportunity to try.

A-Pours a ruby red. White head that dissipates fairly quickly. Great color. Awesome to look at

S- Raspberrys. Soured raspberry. Not like a framboise though. It is very fruity. Usually this type of smell would drive me away from a beer like this, but it has me rather intrigued.

T- The raspberry's are obviously at the forefront, but they aren't overly sweet. The first sip kind of pushed me away, but the second has me coming back, and then again, and again, and I can't stop!

M-A dry tartness, hence the name, but I honestly was surprised. I expected much more sweetness from the name, sourness from the smell. It isn't overly sweet and definitely not sour.

O-I think this is an excellent fruit beer. Not my first choice of style, but this is excellent. I am glad I have had the opportunity to try it. If this was available all the time to me I don't think I would drink it as much. And for the first time I am glad that I have a botte for myself. I will seek this out again and next time share it with friends. And yes I now want to find more New Glarus.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Made the trek from Milwaukee to New Glarus to sample some of their beers. They didn't have this one on tap but I bought a bottle and drank it later that night. Served from a 750 mL bottle into a straight-sided little New Glarus tasting glass.

Poured a pretty vibrant pink with a good solid head, quite a beautiful and inviting look to it. I found the smell and taste to beer a one-dimensional raspberry attack of sweet and tart pure fruit. Though it was pretty straightforward, it was a very refreshing and enjoyable beer. I was hoping for a little of the funk they brought with the R&D gueze and was a little disappointed not to find any.

A pure raspberry assault. Tasty and better for my taste than the belgian red but a 750 mL bottle of the stuff became a little tiring after awhile. I love raspberries, theyre one of my favorite fruits, but this is probably a beer better suited to split between a few people.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Split with family, everyone found this one surprising but pleasant. It poured a clear burgundy color, with a foamy, just-pink, champagne-like head. The aroma certainly showcases the fruit, with the sweet-tart raspberry juice up front, but there is also a mild, dry woodsiness that is likely contributed by the aged hops and oak barrels. The flavor is likewise a combination of the semi-sweet, natural-tasting fruit juice and an earthy, woodsy oak character. The light, fine carbonation is much like that of a sparkling wine, which dries the palate a bit, helping to cut through the fruity sweetness.

Overall, although its sweetness would become too much to enjoy in large quantities, this beer is light and fruity yet complex, making for an interesting, pleasant drinking experience.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

This is a super rare moment in my life... My WIFE and I are sharing and enjoying a beer. This NEVER happens, unless she forces me to drink one of her Busch Lights... This one's for you, babe!

Pour a gorgeous, clear raspberry with a 1 inch head with hangs around for some time. The head is a neat pinkish white.

Smells of freshy picked, sweet raspberries and light wheat.

Taste is the same. This is an amazingly fresh and tasty beer. Had to believe it's even beer! High carbonation on the mouthfeel. Light to medium bodied with medium to full berry flavor.

PS - Thanks go out to PaleAl for this trade at DLD!

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Dark ruby color with a small head and lots of carbonation, very little lacing.

Scent of raspberries, sugars and some yeast. I like it, but there is something about it that doesn't quite sit right with me.

Taste is very tart with raspberries and sugars initially, some orange peel and spices come in after. Finishes somewhat dry with a subtle wheat flavor.

Mouthfeel is light, clean and biting, matches the beer well.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Served in a champagne flute

A: Ruby pomegranite color with a tint of baked raspberry. Crystal clean. Nice tight light pink head.

S: Rose hip perfume, raspberry pie and grape skin

T: Tart raspberry flavor. Not as sweet as I was scared it would be. Various ranges of raspberry including the seed and skin of the fruit. Extremely balanced and drinkable. Aftertaste has hints of sour green apple.

M: Dry yet silky. Medium full bodied with lots of tannins

D: Another good beer from New Glarus. A very nice balance for a fruit beer.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance: Pours a deep, extremely clear ruby color. Very light carbonation. About 1" of white-tinged-with-pink head forms, which has very nice lacing and retention.

Smell: Smells of raspberry puree. That's about it. Maybe a hint of tartness as well. Pretty simple, but very pleasant. Nothing fake or artificial about it.

Taste: Much like the smell. Pure raspberry puree, with a small amount of tartness to offset the sweetness. As I said before, pretty simple, yet enjoyable.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light bodied with pretty low carbonation. Very nice and refreshing. Overall, I much preferred this to Wisconsin Belgian Red. It's a sweet beer, but the light amount of tartness does well to help offset that.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company