Raspberry Tart | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

Added by xlperro on 04-21-2002

Reviews: 936 | Ratings: 3,795
4.08/5  rDev -6%

Pours a clear red with brown hues coming through. Whatever head was there dissipates pretty quickly, but leaves some lacing behind.

Smells a bit like cherry 7-up and popsicles. Intense raspberry aromas with definite tart notes. Not much complexity, but compelling.

Taste is intense tartness up front, just ahead of a massive rush of raspberry. Finishes tart. The raspberry taste definitely tastes more like fresh crushed raspberries than any syrupy extract.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean and refreshing.

I probably wouldn't want mnore tha 6-8 oz of this, but itis very well made and would be perfect for brunch.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Raspberry Tart's a flat gorgeous beverage. It pours an interesting deep red color that almost looks a little purple. When held to light, it takes on a very nice scarlet look. A foamy pink head rests on the surface. It's over two fingers deep and recedes very slowly. Thick, sticky lacing clung to the glass. It doesn't exactly resemble beer, but it's damn impressive nonetheless.

The nose is a full-on berry blast and is impressive. If you're a raspberry fan (or a berry fan in general), you'll love the smell of this beer. I like them quite a bit and this works pretty well for me. It definitely smells sweet and tart. There's some ancillary grainy and earthy notes hanging in there. Other than that, I'm not picking up much at all. That's probably the intent here, but I'm a little disappointed in the breadth of aromatics. That being said, it does smell very good and is certainly inviting.

The flavor mimics the nose almost entirely. I don't know how many raspberries are put into making this beer, but the number must be extraordinary. Berry sweetness simply attacks the palate from beginning to end. The sweet flavor is countered to a large degree by a very accomplished tart flavor. I don't exactly know what the formula is for pulling that off, but it works like a charm. There's an interesting cocoa-like flavor at the secondary level that adds a little depth. I was expecting any chocolate malt presence, but it tastes like there is a little. Grain and earthy flavors are notable throughout. Those flavors and the malt give it a little beer-like character. I like that. But, for the most part, it's a mix of sweet and tart raspberry flavor throughout. I like it quite a bit, but I'm not loving it. It's just a little too one dimensional. But, it is pretty damn tasty despite that complaint.

Raspberry Tart has a more substantial body than expected and has a very creamy, lush feel. On the heavier side of medium is probably the most accurate place to put it. If this were full bodied, it'd be perfect. As it is, it's very smooth. Carbonation is light and only adds to its excellent feel. Drinkability is good, but it's a dessert beer that has its place. It's definitely not something I could drink at any given time.

Raspberry Tart's a very good beverage. I have a tough time calling it a beer simply because it's barely recognizable as such. That being said, it is a very tasty beverage that has a really nice sweet, tart berry flavor. There's a lot to like. But, I don't love it. It's too one dimensional and after a while the sweet/tart flavors almost become too much. I passed a little of the 750 to the wife and was happy to do so. I might have trouble tackling one alone. It is a very unique and worthwhile experience that's worth seeking out. Every BA should try this one at least once.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to this 25oz bottle from umustdrink.

A: Red with a hint of brown. No head.

S: Sour raspberry. Really sour. Makes me get that sour-salivation reflex just from smelling.

T: It's raspberry, it's sour, and as a fruit beer I'm not sure I can get anything more than that, nor do I know if they intend for there to be more than that. But I was expecting a raspberry beer and I got it. The acidity is pretty high.

M/D: It's very spritzy but does have a certain smoothness to it, for a really light beer. The carbonation is very fine. I like sour, I can't take a certain amount of acidity though and this seems to be just around that line. Very good to drink a few ounces here and there, but I couldn't really see myself wanting much more than that.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Note sure what was wrong with the bottle of this I reviewed in 6/08 but it was not like this at all. I am doing a whole new review on 11/21/09. Thanks to ffejherb for giving us a chance to try it again!

A-Clear raspberry color with a frothy pinkish tan head. No real lacing and the head does not retain well.

S-A full blast of raspberry juiciness. Sweet and tart, just like the fruit.

T-Tangy raspberry juice with a good balancing sweetness. The name says it all. Nice lingering pucker in the finish.

M-Crisp and dry with bright carbonation.

D-For a fruit beer, this is nicely drinkable. Quenching, crisp and flavorful but not cloying at all. Not the best fruit beer I have had (those are made by Selin's Grove Brewery in PA) but darn tasty.

HV

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Poured into a wine glass. Deep, but clear, ruby colored with a moderate light pink head. Average retention and lacing. Very very good looking and inviting.

Fruity and floral perfume, strong raspberry and soft oak constitute the smell. The taste is sweet and tart, full of excellent raspberry flavor and stays on lips even after the beer is gone. Oak is certainly felt and complements the fruit well. Very good and very unique if bit of a novelty. Not the most drinkable beer in terms of quantity but very impressive in smaller servings.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

Finally had the chance to try this and upon pour I had no idea what to think. It pours a very very red color with a thin head. Mild carbonation and smells like nothing but raspberries. Believe it or not it also tastes like raspberries with a slight oakiness to it. It does however leave a little prickling on the tongue and mouth which is a tad uncomfortable but it is called raspberry tart. To anyone that likes raspberry soda, you will love this.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

cracked this with my buddies patronwizard and olieipa. a big thank you to unclejedi for this brew.

poured into my sam adams tulip. a whisp of pinkish head shows up to the party just long enough to tickle olie's mommy daddy button. as olie finishes off his load we return to the beer. no lacing. deep red.

smell is sweet. framboise. raspberry juice. VERY fruity. i mean victor fruity.

taste is pure raspberry. no booze. just fruit. wow. this beer is, well how would you say it...light on its feet. tasty.

mouth is thin. very sweet to the point of having a pinch of sour.

a tasty beer. not for me i would say. im sure that my girlfriend will be pissed that i didnt save this for her. meh. good beer. but as vic said. no balls. and we all know how he likes his balls...onto the isabelle!!!

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

Pretty ass pink beer. Smells of juicy raspberries and a little bit of oak. Mild tart effect on the mouth. Sweet, but not sugary. Wheat grist gives a good mouthfeel for it. Not sour really even though it is spontaneously fermented.

I drink this all morning when I get the chance. Crushed a bottle with the jury after my Burning Man not guilty on all counts verdict. Good times.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

-Thank you very much to Emperor Stan for this one.

The wax is a nice touch on the bottle. Pours a very violet red almost winish. There is also very little dark carbonation.

True to its name smells deeply of raspberries with a tart sweetness coming through too.

Very tart and raspberry sweetness the finish reminds me of drinking prosecco in Italy. The carbonation and tartness are very pleasing to the tongue.

Might be good for a desert beer. Not something I would drink on the regular, but a pleasant surprise.

poured into a flute

A- pours a very sexy dark ruby red. Head is slightly tinted but doesn't hang around long.

S- smells like fresh tart raspberries, very nice, excellent balance between tart and sweet.

T- Straight raspberries here, in my opinion this is a more "natural" raspberry taste than some of the super-sweet versions out there. This again strikes a nice balance and I'm really able to enjoy it.

M- I was expecting a little more carbonation, and that would have helped everything stand out just a bit more. It wasn't flat, but carbonation was minimal.

O- A very nice brew I will be sure to get whenever I can (not often, but thanks to the beer mule network that brought me this one!) Not sure if the carbonation is consistent between bottles, it's still good enough that I'd search out another bottle to see if it has more carb to it.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

The fruit beers by New Glarus are very powerful. Heavy in the mouth as well as heavy on the use of fruit. The healthy use of fruit always overpowers the flavor of the beer. But this is meant to be sipped by a fire and enjoyed for it's richness and developing complexity. This is great stuff. But it is prettyy sweet, one glass is plenty, gimme a pale ale.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

It is somewhat difficult to review to style on something of a catch all style, so I will try my best with this one. One of my few remaining top 100 that I have in my cellar, been sitting on this for a while. New Glarus' Belgian red was fantastic, and this one gets similar love. I hope it gets similar love from me. Here we go!

Look is something like a cranberry or grape juice which looks good. I am going to penalize it a bit for the lack of head retention and lacing, but otherwise no problem with the appearance here.

Scent is, no surprise here, very strong sugary raspberry. A slight bready scent as well. Good, but one dimensional. It's difficult to not judge this against wild ales which would be penalized for not having a bit more to it, but this is exactly what it says it should be.

Taste however is very very good. I don't even like raspberry, but I like this. Not cloyingly sweet or sour, a pleasant (surprise) raspberry burst that has some candy character. Very good but just a little too rich, so rich that I will probably not be able to kill the bottle in one sitting.

Mouth is great, syrupy and bubbly. That is to say it's thick, which again would seem off in a wild ale or lambic, but works here.

Overall I'm going to come in slightly below the average rating on here, but this is a very good beer. Given the option I am going to opt for it's Belgian Red brother every time, but this is still a damn good beer.

From Notes:
Pours a burgundy/red color with a thin head, quite nice looking.

Aroma is sweet raspberry, some tartness and a very slight malt presence.

Taste starts sweet with raspberry and a light malt taste. Transitions into a tartness with raspberry and that sour mash taste. Finish is tart malt and light lingering fruit flavor.

I very much enjoyed this beer though it is a bit sweet for my taste.

4.06/5  rDev -6.5%

thanks to brdc for the trade.

1pt 9oz green bottle, with dark red wax around the cap. no date found. tasted in mid-may 2009.

VERY dark, purplish red. actually almost opaque! but dark gemstone ruby, with clarity under direct light. 1-finger pink head, fades to wisps and ring, replenished by duvel tulip's etching. some nice, light pink lacing, relatively consistent.

aroma: rich raspberry aroma, almost jammy and preserves-like. faintest whiffs of vinegar, wood and funk.

taste: blast of fresh and preserved raspberries. tart indeed, but fresh and fruity, with just a note towards the vinegar. hint of wood. quite sweet, but balanced by the acidity. some malt detectable underneath.

light to medium body, with lots of acidic texture, accentuated to moments of sharpness by the otherwise mild to moderate carbonation.

a bit too straightforward, without other complexities showing through strongly enough. still, it is what it is - a great fruit beer.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Ruby red with a quickly dissipating head--to nothing; mild bubbling but mostly still; looks like cranberry juice

S: tart fruits: raspberries, apples, cranberries with faint cider and vinegar; quite vinous too--hard to tell this is beer

T: Sweet with a dry finish; loads of raspberries (and perhaps cranberry flavors too); slightly tart; this is a tasty dessert beer

F: Sticky with a medium body; really sticky all over the mouth

O: For a dessert beer this is awesome but the sweetness--though not cloying--does become slightly wearing

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to Cooperrip for sharing this bottle with me.
Poured into non-descript brandy snifter.
Poured a hazy, bloodied-raspberry purple. Minimal pinkish head with some slight lacing .
Aroma of fresh raspberry puree. Quite sweet on the nose. Reminded me of a Flintstone raspberry sherbet push-up from when I was a kid. Man I love those things.
Taste of fresh raspberry puree. Quite sweet on the tongue with some tartness for a decent balance.
Really, it's a medium carbonated raspberry puree in a bottle.
No hops, no malt. Just raspberries. Medium mouthfeel, and a bit cloying. Quite tasty, but I don't think I'd be able to drink an entire bottle myself.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

750ml bottle obtained via trade with kmpitz2. Thanks for the opportunity... Capped and sealed in red wax.

Poured into Rapscallion glass, formed 1" of Strawberry Quik pink head over the translucent raspberry red brew. Head lasts well, and lacing was good. Aroma is deeply of sour raspberries, as advertised. Taste starts with a mouthful of raspberries, some maltiness in the middle, then switches over to the tartness, which is somewhat subdued, we're not talking Cantillon sour here. Seems like it could just meld the flavors together a tad better, somehow. Mouthfeel is good, but the drinkability is quashed a bit by what seems to turn almost cloyingly sweet raspberry at the beginning of each mouthful. A nice brew, but maybe not quite so hype-worthy.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to Mauerhan for sharing this beer with me and that one guy...oh yeah....PatronWizard.

A: Appeared thin with a dull pink head that didn't last very long, but settled in my glass with a cherry-purple hue.

S: Similar to a Framboise (like my good buddy Mauerhan indicated); The aroma has a little bit of cherry along with the raspberry character.

T: Not as much berry flavor as I expected, which I actually pleased about, along with a perfect amount of sourness. It reminds me of that sour-type sugar they place on the licorice candy (can't think of the name of it, LOL).

M: Light-body, which I think is perfect for this style, along with a smooth and subtle carbonated feel.

D: Easy...no alcohol...something everyone could enjoy.

Overall: I usually avoid beers that are similar to this, but I was pleasantly surprised after sipping on this great gift from Mauerhan. A try it beer. Cheers!

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Another nice beer supplied by DirtyLou.

Poured a blood red in color with a pretty pink head that receded to around the edges of the glass. Actually poured kind of like syrup.

Nose is all raspberries. Very sweet.

Flavor is an even bigger whallop of what I got from the nose. V ery sweet raspberries that quickly becomes tart. Very cloying flavor that never really recedes.

Feels like my tastebuds are standing up. A bit puckering but too sweet for it to be over the top. Bit syrupy.

Great beer, but the whole bottle was awfully tart for one person alone.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Stuck in Wisconsin for work for the week, I stopped in a local gas station for a snack - unlike gas stations in KC, this is the beer and cheese state, and has a variety of New Glarus beers in a special stand alongside the BMC. Sweet! I am though in a hotel, drinking from the small water glasses - I'm going to have eight glasses of beer tonight!

Pours clear red, with just a hint of rosy purple - a thing ring of pink head, but it even leaves at least some lace on this tiny glass. A bit of an odd color for a beer, but nonetheless looks attractive.

Smells like raspberries - tart, sweet, berry-like.

Tasty in a non-beer sort of way - more like the cran-rasp cocktail you might find at your local mega-mart. Tart, with raspberries being the most obvious component.

Sparkling, and with a lasting tart sweetness. Gets sticky on the tongue, which allows the little bit of hoppiness to stay in the mouth and eminate.

Really enjoyable, but as I am with the entire bottle this eveing, it might be overwhelmingly sweet, but I'm still looking forward to finishing it.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

bottle poured into a wine glass. pours a deep garnet/rouge with a touch of orange mixed in. a single finger of light off white head tops it off, which has poor retention and leaves no lacings.

aroma is of fresh, ripe raspberries with a very light funked note and undertones of vinous fruit.

taste is of the same raspberry note from the aroma with a distinct tartness and a light effervescence that blends into a light acidity. well put together on the palate with a finish that gives way to a more pronounced note of funk after the tartness subsides.

mouthfeel is light bodied, tart and effervescent. a touch acidic as well. wonderful on the palate.

drinkability is great. soft and pleasant, this brew will convert many sceptics to the world of better fruit beers. cheers!

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance: Raspberry pour (almost blood red) with a pink frothy head, looks like desert!

Smell: Raspberries, but a bit sweet and with a bit of twang. Not much else (this beer is a one trick pony, but intended to be thus).

Taste: Once again, raspberries with a sour twang. Perhaps just a hair sweeter than I would like. I prefer a good lambic, but this is a good beer for what it is. I wish I could put this on some ice cream. I feel like "sweet" should be in the title over "tart" however.

Mouthfeel: Not quite as thick or syrupy as Belgian Red. Sweet, but not sticky. It is velvety smooth though.

Drinkability: This one disappeared a bit faster than the Belgian Red did. A bit too sweet and fruity to want it very often or in quantity, but still a good and highly drinkable beer.

4.04/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours crimson color with a thin red head that quickly fades to a few bubbles sitting on top. Very little lacing is left on the glass.

Smells like concentrated raspberries. A bit juice like. Does not smell fermented at all.

Raspberry Tart. That is exactly what you get in the flavor. Big splash of raspberry sweetness with a mouth puckering finish. Lingering raspberry aftertaste. Tastes nothing of beer or any alcoholic beverage. Maybe a little alcohol flavor would improve this beer by cleansing the palate.

Very sweet without leaving a syrupy consistancy. Has a light body actually. Carbonation is abundant but not harsh.

If a person loves raspberries they will love this even if they don't like beer. No beer or alcoholic flavor at all. Probably best served as a dessert beverage. Too sweet for continous consumption.

4.04/5  rDev -6.9%

Sent from Wisconsin by a friend. Poured into a champagne flute from a 750 ml. From notes of 3/20.

Color is hazy red, purple color with a pinkish white head that has good retention. Smell is most definitely raspberry, followed by more raspberry. If I concentrate, I can pick up some oak notes. Taste is initially tart, but quickly overwhelmed by the raspberry flavors and a lot of sweetness. Almost tastes like a raspberry soda, with really bright fruit flavor. Body is light/medium with a lot of carbonation. Overall, it's a really good and enjoyable drink, just a bit on the sweet side for me.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Cool pink and purple appearance, lighter pink for the head which was right where it should be. Aroma was of good raspberry, not much tartness.

Taste, wait, why do they call this tart? Wasn't really tart or sour, you had to search for it. Didn't think the mild tart was at all balanced with the sweetness. Wheat base evident. All this didn't make for a bad beer by any means, just one very different than my expectations. I was hoping more Bottleworks XII raspberry flavor and sourness. This is just a straight fruit beer.

Nice stuff on a hot day. Crisp, clean in the mouthfeel. Really just plays the raspberry card. No real hop character to speak of.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company