Raspberry Tart | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

Added by xlperro on 04-21-2002

Ratings: 3,831 |  Reviews: 941

Ugh! Been really looking forward to trying this and I'm pretty sure I got a dud. When poured into the glass it has a very nice looking head that was very thick. Then after inspecting the beer I didn't notice a jewel like sparkle and my nose detected a very acidulous smell. The brew poured very brown and muted looking in color. After the first sip it was obvious that the beer was off. Lots of vinegar and a very acidic burn down the throat. Barely any berries to speak of and just a huge disappointment. I'd love to try it again, but not for $20.00.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...... Living in WA I have access to de grade and cascade, I'm sorry this beer is a disgrace, not fresh fruit but fruit extract? This is the most disgusting fruit beer I have ever had, this made cough syrup taste good. How Todd and Jasom gave it a 100.... I wish I got paid that money......

1.25/5  rDev -71.2%

1.75/5  rDev -59.7%

1.82/5  rDev -58.1%

Absolutely the most disgusting looking beer I have ever poured into a glass. A strange combination that looks like some sort of off purple mudd. A very light amount of carbonation to let you know that it is beer, but just barely.

Smells exactly like a bowl of raspberry Ice Cream, probably the highest quality of this beer.

Taste is a very sour raspberry flavor, no real beer flavors in a normal sense to speak of, no hop prescence no malts detectable at all.

Mouthfeel is suprisingly thin for a beer that looks so thick.

Drinkability is terrible, taste more like a bad can of sour raspberry soda than beer. I don't think I would even call it beer. Couldn't even finish it.

1.84/5  rDev -57.6%

2.08/5  rDev -52.1%

There isn't a way that I can see on this site to log in a flawed or spoiled beer, so my rating may not make much sense.

On tap...beer was "corked" (TCA) contaminated. Nose was soggy cardboard. You still got nice tart fruit in the mouth, but the smell was a deal killer. I will revisit with two bombers that I just bought.

FWIW, it would be helpful for beer drinkers to log flaws. That would help establish patterns among producers/distribution chains..

EDIT: Bomber #1 had the same wet cardboard TCA nose.

2.15/5  rDev -50.5%

A- Pours a reddish purple color with a nice reddish colored head. Head had fairly good retention and leaves pretty much no lacing.

S- Shockingly enough it smells of raspberries.

T- This tasted more like a wine cooler to me than a beer. Raspberries all over the place and pretty much nothing else.

M- Light in body and light to medium in carbonation.

D- Wow I will pass on this one.

2.18/5  rDev -49.8%

A: Pours brownish red, minimal fast-fading head, lots of active bubbles in the liquid.

S: Strong raspberry aroma, jam-like and somewhat artificial. Pretty one-note, but I suppose that what they were aiming for.

T: Juice. Sparkling juice. Did the yeast attenuate this at all? Tastes like sweet wine or cider. No beer-like aspects to my tongue. Finishes with a distinct zing.

M: High carbonation. Lots of residual sweetness. Sticky finish.

O: As this warms up, it just gets more oppressively sweet to the point that my stomach is starting to get a bit upset. Perhaps if you frequently drink juice and soda and want a beer that's as sweet as them, this is an appealing beverage, but it's not at all for me.

2.36/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Did not enjoy. A very syrup'y like liquid. The sweetness is ridiculous. No beer present it feels like, just artificial raspberry syrup taste. I guess if that is what you are looking for, get one of these. But I like beer, not fruit syrup like beverages. THIS is not sour in any way. Just throwing that out there, to all you sour fans, its not a sour, so don't address it as so.

2.4/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

750ml bottle. Thanks Adam! Pours a slightly hazy, dark red-brown with a fluffy, pinkish head that dies after a bit. Pungent aroma of raspberries; very, very sweet. Sour notes become more noticeable as it warms. Taste is a rush of sugar and fortified raspberry. Cloying, actually. Acidity comes through to balance it a bit, but still finishes very sweetly. Raspberry Tart is a pretty fitting name for this one. The feel is light-medium, but awfully syrupy. As much as I wanted to like this one, it's just too sweet...couldn't actually finish it.

2.5/5  rDev -42.4%