Raspberry Tart | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

Added by xlperro on 04-21-2002

Ratings: 3,803 |  Reviews: 936
4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

cracked this with my buddies patronwizard and olieipa. a big thank you to unclejedi for this brew.

poured into my sam adams tulip. a whisp of pinkish head shows up to the party just long enough to tickle olie's mommy daddy button. as olie finishes off his load we return to the beer. no lacing. deep red.

smell is sweet. framboise. raspberry juice. VERY fruity. i mean victor fruity.

taste is pure raspberry. no booze. just fruit. wow. this beer is, well how would you say it...light on its feet. tasty.

mouth is thin. very sweet to the point of having a pinch of sour.

a tasty beer. not for me i would say. im sure that my girlfriend will be pissed that i didnt save this for her. meh. good beer. but as vic said. no balls. and we all know how he likes his balls...onto the isabelle!!!

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

Pretty ass pink beer. Smells of juicy raspberries and a little bit of oak. Mild tart effect on the mouth. Sweet, but not sugary. Wheat grist gives a good mouthfeel for it. Not sour really even though it is spontaneously fermented.

I drink this all morning when I get the chance. Crushed a bottle with the jury after my Burning Man not guilty on all counts verdict. Good times.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

-Thank you very much to Emperor Stan for this one.

The wax is a nice touch on the bottle. Pours a very violet red almost winish. There is also very little dark carbonation.

True to its name smells deeply of raspberries with a tart sweetness coming through too.

Very tart and raspberry sweetness the finish reminds me of drinking prosecco in Italy. The carbonation and tartness are very pleasing to the tongue.

Might be good for a desert beer. Not something I would drink on the regular, but a pleasant surprise.

poured into a flute

A- pours a very sexy dark ruby red. Head is slightly tinted but doesn't hang around long.

S- smells like fresh tart raspberries, very nice, excellent balance between tart and sweet.

T- Straight raspberries here, in my opinion this is a more "natural" raspberry taste than some of the super-sweet versions out there. This again strikes a nice balance and I'm really able to enjoy it.

M- I was expecting a little more carbonation, and that would have helped everything stand out just a bit more. It wasn't flat, but carbonation was minimal.

O- A very nice brew I will be sure to get whenever I can (not often, but thanks to the beer mule network that brought me this one!) Not sure if the carbonation is consistent between bottles, it's still good enough that I'd search out another bottle to see if it has more carb to it.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

The fruit beers by New Glarus are very powerful. Heavy in the mouth as well as heavy on the use of fruit. The healthy use of fruit always overpowers the flavor of the beer. But this is meant to be sipped by a fire and enjoyed for it's richness and developing complexity. This is great stuff. But it is prettyy sweet, one glass is plenty, gimme a pale ale.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

It is somewhat difficult to review to style on something of a catch all style, so I will try my best with this one. One of my few remaining top 100 that I have in my cellar, been sitting on this for a while. New Glarus' Belgian red was fantastic, and this one gets similar love. I hope it gets similar love from me. Here we go!

Look is something like a cranberry or grape juice which looks good. I am going to penalize it a bit for the lack of head retention and lacing, but otherwise no problem with the appearance here.

Scent is, no surprise here, very strong sugary raspberry. A slight bready scent as well. Good, but one dimensional. It's difficult to not judge this against wild ales which would be penalized for not having a bit more to it, but this is exactly what it says it should be.

Taste however is very very good. I don't even like raspberry, but I like this. Not cloyingly sweet or sour, a pleasant (surprise) raspberry burst that has some candy character. Very good but just a little too rich, so rich that I will probably not be able to kill the bottle in one sitting.

Mouth is great, syrupy and bubbly. That is to say it's thick, which again would seem off in a wild ale or lambic, but works here.

Overall I'm going to come in slightly below the average rating on here, but this is a very good beer. Given the option I am going to opt for it's Belgian Red brother every time, but this is still a damn good beer.

From Notes:
Pours a burgundy/red color with a thin head, quite nice looking.

Aroma is sweet raspberry, some tartness and a very slight malt presence.

Taste starts sweet with raspberry and a light malt taste. Transitions into a tartness with raspberry and that sour mash taste. Finish is tart malt and light lingering fruit flavor.

I very much enjoyed this beer though it is a bit sweet for my taste.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Pours a clear red with brown hues coming through. Whatever head was there dissipates pretty quickly, but leaves some lacing behind.

Smells a bit like cherry 7-up and popsicles. Intense raspberry aromas with definite tart notes. Not much complexity, but compelling.

Taste is intense tartness up front, just ahead of a massive rush of raspberry. Finishes tart. The raspberry taste definitely tastes more like fresh crushed raspberries than any syrupy extract.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean and refreshing.

I probably wouldn't want mnore tha 6-8 oz of this, but itis very well made and would be perfect for brunch.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Raspberry Tart's a flat gorgeous beverage. It pours an interesting deep red color that almost looks a little purple. When held to light, it takes on a very nice scarlet look. A foamy pink head rests on the surface. It's over two fingers deep and recedes very slowly. Thick, sticky lacing clung to the glass. It doesn't exactly resemble beer, but it's damn impressive nonetheless.

The nose is a full-on berry blast and is impressive. If you're a raspberry fan (or a berry fan in general), you'll love the smell of this beer. I like them quite a bit and this works pretty well for me. It definitely smells sweet and tart. There's some ancillary grainy and earthy notes hanging in there. Other than that, I'm not picking up much at all. That's probably the intent here, but I'm a little disappointed in the breadth of aromatics. That being said, it does smell very good and is certainly inviting.

The flavor mimics the nose almost entirely. I don't know how many raspberries are put into making this beer, but the number must be extraordinary. Berry sweetness simply attacks the palate from beginning to end. The sweet flavor is countered to a large degree by a very accomplished tart flavor. I don't exactly know what the formula is for pulling that off, but it works like a charm. There's an interesting cocoa-like flavor at the secondary level that adds a little depth. I was expecting any chocolate malt presence, but it tastes like there is a little. Grain and earthy flavors are notable throughout. Those flavors and the malt give it a little beer-like character. I like that. But, for the most part, it's a mix of sweet and tart raspberry flavor throughout. I like it quite a bit, but I'm not loving it. It's just a little too one dimensional. But, it is pretty damn tasty despite that complaint.

Raspberry Tart has a more substantial body than expected and has a very creamy, lush feel. On the heavier side of medium is probably the most accurate place to put it. If this were full bodied, it'd be perfect. As it is, it's very smooth. Carbonation is light and only adds to its excellent feel. Drinkability is good, but it's a dessert beer that has its place. It's definitely not something I could drink at any given time.

Raspberry Tart's a very good beverage. I have a tough time calling it a beer simply because it's barely recognizable as such. That being said, it is a very tasty beverage that has a really nice sweet, tart berry flavor. There's a lot to like. But, I don't love it. It's too one dimensional and after a while the sweet/tart flavors almost become too much. I passed a little of the 750 to the wife and was happy to do so. I might have trouble tackling one alone. It is a very unique and worthwhile experience that's worth seeking out. Every BA should try this one at least once.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to this 25oz bottle from umustdrink.

A: Red with a hint of brown. No head.

S: Sour raspberry. Really sour. Makes me get that sour-salivation reflex just from smelling.

T: It's raspberry, it's sour, and as a fruit beer I'm not sure I can get anything more than that, nor do I know if they intend for there to be more than that. But I was expecting a raspberry beer and I got it. The acidity is pretty high.

M/D: It's very spritzy but does have a certain smoothness to it, for a really light beer. The carbonation is very fine. I like sour, I can't take a certain amount of acidity though and this seems to be just around that line. Very good to drink a few ounces here and there, but I couldn't really see myself wanting much more than that.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Note sure what was wrong with the bottle of this I reviewed in 6/08 but it was not like this at all. I am doing a whole new review on 11/21/09. Thanks to ffejherb for giving us a chance to try it again!

A-Clear raspberry color with a frothy pinkish tan head. No real lacing and the head does not retain well.

S-A full blast of raspberry juiciness. Sweet and tart, just like the fruit.

T-Tangy raspberry juice with a good balancing sweetness. The name says it all. Nice lingering pucker in the finish.

M-Crisp and dry with bright carbonation.

D-For a fruit beer, this is nicely drinkable. Quenching, crisp and flavorful but not cloying at all. Not the best fruit beer I have had (those are made by Selin's Grove Brewery in PA) but darn tasty.

HV

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Poured into a wine glass. Deep, but clear, ruby colored with a moderate light pink head. Average retention and lacing. Very very good looking and inviting.

Fruity and floral perfume, strong raspberry and soft oak constitute the smell. The taste is sweet and tart, full of excellent raspberry flavor and stays on lips even after the beer is gone. Oak is certainly felt and complements the fruit well. Very good and very unique if bit of a novelty. Not the most drinkable beer in terms of quantity but very impressive in smaller servings.

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

Split a bottle at a recent tasting party. It pours a shocking, impressive deep red. I'd give it more love on score, but, well, it just doesn't look that beery. Smell is heavy raspberry, more sweet than sour, but there's enough tart from keeping it from being overly cloying. Taste: No hint of alcohol. Very natural tasting, that's good. But not as sour as I would have expected. A sweet beer first and foremost. Mouthfeel is differentiated from a wine cooler through a slight lack of carbonation which makes it emminently guzzle-worthy. The sweetness, however, keeps one from throwing it down too much.

I will definitely have this again. Due to the sweetsy nature I could never drink too much, but it's a welcome departure from the grainy malty norms of beer.

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

Presented in a 12 oz. brown bottle. No freshness dating available, though there is some quick discussion on the front label itself touting its desert beer status.
Poured a deep dark red. Almost opaque. The head died quickly with no lacing.

This one is a nosefull. Humongous aroma of fresh to overly ripe raspberries. Fermented and acidic. Aroma is fresh and natural.

WHAM!!--Acidic and tart, cheek-clenching raspberry flavor. Perhaps the wheat base is in there somewhere, but I was enjoying the raspberry goodness too much. It must be though, as the sugary malt seems to have leveled out what you could imagine to be a very sour beer.

Mouthfeel was medium, but buoyed by a hefty carbonation. The raspberries linger in your mouth afterward. Nice and drinkable, though I would prefer to have it either with a nice fruit tart or hefty chocolate cake.

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The label on the New Glarus Raspberry Tart bottle suggests that you serve
this beer in a flute, which I did. The pour got me a finger of foam over an
opaque reddish brew. The nose is very bright fresh raspberry and just a
bit of funkiness. The label further states that the brew is made of raspberries
spontaneously fermented on oak to which is added wheat malt and year-old
Hallertau hops. Unlike their excellent Belgian Red, this is intended to be a
genuine wild ale- a lambic with an American twist. The flavor does indeed
bear this out. The flavor is raspberry, of course- there's a fresh berry taste up
front with woody notes and a long, tart finish. The aftertaste is a bit of that sour
fruit lingering on the palate. The mouthfeel is full, yet very very dry. Outstanding,
and I hate raspberry.

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

L - Pours a deep raspberry color with a one finger eggshell head with a bit of tan to it. Very opaque body. Decent retention and no lacing.

S - So much tart raspberry and then when you think it moves on, there is more raspberries. Some sweetness on the nose and faint oak.

T - Tart at first and then the flood gates of sweet raspberries are opened and ends with a medium tartness. The sweetness is rich and from time to time come off as cloying.

F - Medium bodied and medium to high carbonation. The raspberries really coat your mouth and let you taste it long as the beer has been swallowed.

O - This beer is so raspberry forward. Very delicious, if a bit too sweet at times.

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

750ml bottle into tulip. Special thanks to biglobo8971 for this.

A- Dark red pour with a little brown in the mix, half finger tight bubble off white head. Lacing is minimal.

S- Raspberries and strawberries right up front, with some rhubarb and cinnamon in the back. There is a touch of dough in there making it smell like a fresh baked pie.

T- Tart raspberries, sweet strawberries and cherries with a touch of rhubarb. There is a slight spice in the finish. Makes your cheeks tingle.

M- Light side of medium body, a touch syrupy, carbonation is low.

O- This is very good, should probably have split it but I'm selfish like that lol. The syrupy feeling makes it feel a little heavier than it is but you get past it really quickly.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company