Raspberry Tart | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

Added by xlperro on 04-21-2002

Reviews: 933 | Ratings: 3,784
4.87/5  rDev +12.2%

Lucent magenta with brilliant raspberry red highlights when backlit. The rosy pink head is more dense than expected and looks for all the world like a piece of shortcake saturated with berry juice. I doubt that much lace with be forthcoming, but that doesn't bother me in the least. This is a great looking fruit beer.

I have to hand it to the good folks at New Glarus. With Wisconsin Belgian Red and now Raspberry Tart, they've created the two finest fruit beer noses in all the world. I don't know how long it took to come up with the final recipe, but they've achieved raspberry beer perfection with regards to the aroma. It's both sweet and tart with nothing on display except the essence of the berries themselves. Wow! seems inadequate.

Raspberry Tart is as amazing as I thought it would be once I tasted Belgian Red. Check that, actually it's better. As in... better than I thought it would be and better than Belgian Red. It's probably too close to call, they're both the finest examples of their style in existence, but I can't imagine a better, more dizzyingly delicious concoction than that which sits before me at this moment. The fact that I like raspberries more than cherries is probably a factor.

As in the nose, there's very little present other than the berries themselves. What puts this beer into orbit is the complex combination of sweet and tart. I'm not enough of a zymurgist to know what aging in oak vats contributes or why the Hallertau hops need to be a year old. My guess is that at least the first of those is absolutely critical to the tangy fermented flavor that gives Razz Tart its soul and elevates it above mere fruit juice.

Even though I'm not big on pairing beer with sweets, I can't imagine a better accompaniment to a gooey fudge brownie or a dish of vanilla bean ice cream. I don't believe that it's at all unwarranted to call this the best fruit beer in the world. The sweetness limits drinkability somewhat, although if I use the question 'would I have another?' as my sole criterion, a bump in score would be a no-brainer.

My first thought was that the mouthfeel wasn't quite as thick and as syrupy as my memory of Belgian Red. Now, I'm not so sure. As the beer sits, it comes together beautifully and is now the very definition of heavily silky. This beer is a mouth party of the highest order! Since I have no idea how it could be improved... another perfect.

I don't know what else to say. I've used just about every adjective for 'great' that I can think of and I still feel that my ramblings have been inadequate to describe the... uh... greatness of Raspberry Tart. I hope this beer keeps as well as I think it does because I'll be clearing out Madison the next time I make the trip. Simply stunning.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a murky purple/maroon color with a bubbly head that dissipates rather quickly.

S: Tons of tart raspberry as expected. A little bit of vanilla as well. Extremely inviting aroma.

T: Even better than I was expecting/hoping. An an incredible sugary sweet raspberry flavor. The vanilla is there slightly, but the raspberry steals the show.

M/D: Not syrupy, light bodied and extremely easy drinking. Unsure if I have had a beer that is easier to drink. Easily my favorite fruit beer to date.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Cheers to Jw347 for this one!

Pours burgundy/purple with 2+ fingers of noisy pink head. Great lacing & fairly good head retention

s: Super raspberry nose, fades as this warms

T: Juicy & tart raspberries. plus a little puckery sourness up front. Tartness & dryness dominate along a sweet raspberry vinaigrette as this warms. Finishes with a nice puckery sweet/tart flourish

MF: Light & sparkling, plus some acidity & just a touch of stickyness

Drinks really well, I believe the acidity & tartness would preclude me from sessioning on this. Easily one of the best beers at 4.0% abv, below, above or whatever! Also, easily the best fruit beer I've ever drank!

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Now lets talk a little bit about this one for a minute. I have been wanting to try this forever, and I just recently received not one, but two bottles of this brew. I really did not know what to expect going into it, but have heard it is simply outstanding. So needless to say the red wax coated 750 beckoned me from the start and I popped one open last night. Poured a very nice raspberry colored red with a small pink colored head and very nice carbonation visible throughout the session. The smell was rich with raspberry essence. Extremely strong so that nothing else could possibly come through. Now the flavor was to die for. I have never been the biggest fan of fruit beers in general, but this has just come to a whole new level. So sweet yet tart and sour at the same time, the flavor was so strong, yet not overpowering and not too sweet as to make you sick, it was in a word, perfect. It had the most perfect taste for this style I could have ever imagined. A great light body and great carbonation made it feel like water and there was just no hint of any kind of alcohol in this. This was by far one of the best brews I have ever had. I was raving mad about this all night long and easily killed the bottle myself. I just did not think anything could taste this good, this was fantastic. I would love to get my hands on as much as I could, I have to give it up here. This is one of the best drinks I have ever had, hands down, just wonderful. I would have to recommend this to everyone, go and get some!

4.76/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I appreciated gottajiboo2 for sharing this with me and HombreWing this was a special treat.

I enjoyed this from the bottle in a glass.

The color is like nectar hazed and rosy with pink head. The smell is ripe berries with sweetess of malt and faint floral lightly tart aroma. The feel is incredible with so much juicy fruit tangy yet still retains sweetness to balance.

The flavor is like chewing pure ripe raspberries, this is one of the best raspberry berries because it is not overly tart and not too dessert-like either. The balance of fresh juicy raspberry with a great base beer is delicious and worth savoring. Overall I can't think of many fruit beers that compare with this beer and it is not easy to get in Pennsylvania thanks so much to Courtlyn for sharing this I recommend this to anyone who likes raspberry and is not opposed to fruit in beer.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my New Glarus flute. Poured a cherry red color with a thin pink head covering the top of the beer. The head faded away after a minute or so. I really liked the color though.

The aroma has a tart, slightly sour raspberry flavor to it. A little bit of cherry and other fruits come through a bit. Nice aroma, especially for a fruit beer.

The taste has a nice fresh raspberry flavor to it. A tartness really cuts through the sweet fresh fruit flavor. The sweet fruit and the tartness really balance each other nicely. Excellent flavor overall.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side and carbonation is high. pretty fitting mouthfeel for the style and beer. Drinkability is very good, it's definitely one of the best fruit beers there is. The balance between the fresh fruit and the tartness really make it very drinkable. Excellent beer overall.

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

An impressive looking champagne magnum that is waxed on the top.

Appearance: Murky red colour, looks like puréed raspberries. Light fizzy head give a champagne crackle.

Smell: Big aroma of freshly macerated raspberries. Very sweet yet enough fruity tartness as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Bam! Raspberries! Every corner your taste buds turn more raspberries. The tartness is right in balance with the sweetness of the fruit. Fizzy crisp mouth feel, sweet on the palate with some graininess within. A very faint alcohol also leads down the beer trail.

Notes: A perfect tasting fruit beer, “real fruit”! This is my top pick for an early afternoon brunch tipple.

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

A big thanks to cvaypai for this bottle. Craig keeps on hooking it up with the Wisconsin goods.

A: The pour is a clear, dark, ruby/garnet color with little to no head.

S: Great raspberry aroma. There's a wonderful mix of tartness and sweetness. Maybe a bit of cranberry as well.

T: Like the nose, there is a great balance of tart and sweet raspberry. The flavor is not candy-like such as other fruit beers.

M: The body is medium and the level of carbonation is fairly low. Somehow, it works though.

T: Much, much more drinkable than the Wisconsin Belgian Red. The lack of cloying sweetness is quite a nice surprise and makes this beer very enjoyable.

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Picked this guy up randomly while shopping fer brews at the outset of the Man's Weekend. It pours a deep garnet/ruby/other miscellaneous red-colored gemstones topped by well over a finger of slightly pink-tinted light ecru foam. The nose is an explosion of sweetened raspberries, as though a bowl o' them berries had been sprinkled liberally with confectioner's sugar. Some blueberries may or not be in the bowl as well, and some cinnamon seems to have been added to the sweetening party, though in much less abundance. The taste follows pretty dern closely, but a nice tartness replaces the seemingly sugariness. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sticky, syrupy feel. Overall, a very nice bit o' fruity goodness, excessively drinkable and increasingly tart/complex (so to speak) as the tasting goes on.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a dark reddish-purple color with 2 inches of off white head that has a red tint. Moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour raspberries, cherries, dark fruits, and fruity malts.

t - Tastes of raspberry juice, and dark fruits. Some tartness to it, but not too much. Very enjoyable.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink.

d - I thought this was a great beer. The only fruit beer I like better is New Glarus' Belgian Red. Smells and tastes great; I feel like I could drink this all day. Looking forward to having this again.

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to Jon for sharing this.

A: Pretty ruby hue. Mild lacing.

S: Wow! Fresh raspberries. There's not much else to report. Summertime. Picking them right off the bush. Incredible aroma.

T: This is a masterfully crafted raspberry beer. The aromas hit you as you get the glass close to your mouth, then it's raspberry pie in the form of a beer. It is, however, pretty sweet. As good as this is, and I wouldn't want it to change, I prefer sour fruit beers.

M: Smooth, crisp, fresh, light.

D: The sweetness is formidable. A couple of ounces is the perfect amount for me. If you haven't had this before, I recommend sharing the bottle with a few other folks.

3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a goblet. Thanks to MarcatGSB for this bottle!

Appearance - Less bright than I expected. I expected it to look like Blushing Monk. This is much less bright of a red. Slightly pink head and great lacing.

Smell - Raspberries. Lots of raspberries. That's pretty much it. It isn't complex, but it's nice.

Taste - Raspberries. Lots of raspberries. Still not complex. Still just raspberries. Again, it isn't complex, but it's nice. Somewhat tart, but after a while the sweetness builds.

Mouthfeel - Fresh and light, but not as crisp as I'd like. Just a bit too sweet.

Overall - Good stuff. I just don't know how to rate it. I like it, but it isn't earth-shattering. It's raspberries.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

25oz green bottle dipped in a color of wax that matches the fluid within...interesting.

Poured into a wine glass, it appears a somewhat hazy maroon, ruby, reddish-brown color with less than a finger of creamy slightly reddish stained head. Not much for retension outside the penline of white bubbles that has collected around the inside perimeter of the glass. Aroma of this beer is all raspberry sweetness with a faint touch of vinegar and some sourness in the backend. As it warms there is another layer of sweetness outside of the fruit, it is somewhat reminescent of caramel. Taste is about as close as one could ever imagine to drinking a modestly carbonated fresh raspberry juice. It is quite sweet upfront tasting obviously of raspberries and has a much more full mouthfeel than I have experienced with other fruit beers. The somewhat higher than expected carbonation really lets the flavors of the fruit come out in your mouth. The tartness of the raspberries is a bit exaggerated in the finish but it is to be expected considering the name of this beer...and it is quite enjoyable nontheless. There is a lingering sweetness left in the mouth tasting just like fresh raspberries.

Thanks to jojomdma for the trade at DLD for this one.

3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

A – Burgundy black cherry Jell-O with ruby highlights. Finely bubbled white head has great retention and lace.

S – Soft raspberry with a dry earthy note. Has a hint of Dr. Brown’s Black Cherry soda.

T – Tart black cherry opening into a huge sugar note. As the sweetness subsides, raspberry coats your mouth with a whip-crack acidity. The backend mellows out into raspberry jelly, lemon and back pepper.

M – Great carbonation on a full body. The texture is soft and sweet, and not overly syrupy.

O – Delicious, but a shade too sweet.

3.95/5  rDev -9%

Got this in a trade with dirtylou, thanks for the opportunity.

Pours a cloudy reddish purple with a pinkish white head that disappears quickly. Smell and taste is raspberries, raspberries, raspberries. Mouth feel is a little sticky, syrupy with moderate carbonation. Has a tart bite to the aftertaste. Descent brew, kind of a mix between a beer and a wine cooler.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bomber into Bell's tulip glass.

A: A clear and deep ruby red. Looks really pretty when you hold up to a light. At the risk of sounding redundant, I'm gonna say the color is that of raspberries--not hard to guess why.

S: Raspberries all the way, good mix of sweet and tart raspberry smells. Not a lot of beer smells, just raspberries.

T: Excellent! Like the nose, it's all raspberries. The balance between sweet and tart flavors is fantastic. The beer's name is slightly misleading, as this really isn't a super tart beer (it's not a sour for sure).

M: Like the Wisconsin Belgian Red, this one drinks a little like a fruit soda. Extremely drinkable, and even though the mouthfeel is a little weird for a beer, it's less weird than the Belgian Red and doesn't really detract from the enjoyment of a world class beer.

O: Overall this is very similar to the Wisconsin Belgian Red, but slightly better IMO as there is a little more tartness to balance out the sweetness. This is pretty much the perfect fruit beer, and probably in my top ten favorite beers overall.

9.7/10

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from the bottle into a champagne flute. Much thanks to translucent for the trade!

A very dark reddish brown amber body, with some champagne like bubbles but not much really for carbonation. Head is creamy and foamy in appearance, with a light caramel brown and lots of sticky creamy character.

Nose is fruit raspberry but some interesting mix of flavors. Wooden and oak, but very much like powdered sawdust, and vanilla too. Real good.

Taste though is nothing but raspberry joy in the perfect sense. Raspberry fruit of mild balance of perfection between tart sour and sweet. Finish is creamy vanilla, with malt thickness. Raspberries are incredibly jammy you could spread them on toast.

Overall a perfect balance of taste, with a great nose. On top of that the light abv makes it so amazing there is all this flavor in this drink, just fantastic beer.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle, poured into a fluted glass:

Pours hazed with beautiful hues of raspberry. It is capped off with a pink head that has pretty nice retention for the style. Spotted trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of fresh, tart raspberries.

The taste of fresh raspberries are not at all "artificial" and are sweet and tart. A firm malt backbone and a touch of noble hops let you know this is beer and not fruit malt beverage. It has a candy-like raspberry character. Sweet and tart balanced perfectly in the finish.

It is very smooth. I wouldn't mind a bit more effervescence (I think), but it is just fine the way it is.

An incredible "dessert" brew. This is one of the best, if not the best, fruit beer I've ever had. It is full of raspberry but has perfect balance. Very tasty and highly recommended!

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

There's a precious, raspberry-red wax over the crown and down the neck of this beer, proper insurance of a finely crafted and properly presented product. How often do you see the like in a beer?
Snap! Fssh...and out wafts the incredible raspberry aroma! Let's get that in a glass and up to my lips, pronto!
Color pours out a devilishly dark, bloody red, with a head that starts fine, but swiftly dissipates. I search for associations with appearance and can only come up with candies, desserts, pies, liqueurs...all things sweet, delicious, and fruity!
Up in the nose, BAM! Raspberry Sorbet! Gorgeous! I used to work in an ice cream factory, and relished the time spent with fruit purees, before blending and freezing. This is exactly like that.
I don't even care if I never get to drink it, just to smell this all day long would be heaven!
A highly charged pounce upon the palate at first sip, a bracket of hops, a rush of carbonation.
So much lip-smacking going on throughout the drink...ooo,tart! oo, tart!, but still sweet and delicious.
Texture: phenomenal, body:full, finish: eternal!This beer has a flavor that never lags, or sags, or forgets it's business.
My only caveats are that the tart flavor can be too much at times, and though quite a delight, this is strictly a special occasion ale, best enjoyed after a perfect meal, among several friends, with plenty of time to loll back and marvel at the splendor!
Other than that, perfection!

4.39/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed over the summer, during a lazy trip through Wisconsin, review is from notes. Large green bottle with that classy waxed top. Bottle shows no freshness or vintage dating. Pours dark amber, with a short lived head and only minor lacing to be observed. Fruity, smoky and SOUR nose. Pleasingly tart brew, not for everybody, but to my taste buds this stuff makes a fine desert brew for those of us into this type of creation. Rich raspberry notes. Tasty and well worth seeking out if in the Wisc. general area.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

Picked up a bottle at Discount Liquors last time I was in Milwaukee - served it with my mom's apple crisp at Xmas dinner.

A - Beautiful ruby red color with a thin pinkish head that dissipates quickly. Bubbles lazily rise from the bottom - it looks kind of like soda, except for the small amount of lacing. It's hard to compare as I don't have a real frame of reference for fruit beer - it doesn't even really look like a kriek.

S - Fresh raspberries, and all that entails. Some sweetness, some tartness - it's obviously sweetened with sugar or malt, as pure raspberry juice doesn't have this potency of scent.

T - Initial taste is pure raspberry, but you get some hop bitterness at the back of the palate. As someone who loves raspberries this is as good as it gets - it actually tastes like the fruit (or jam), and not like the phony raspberry flavor found in gum, etc. The taste is tarter than the smell, which keeps it from getting sickeningly sweet after a while.

M - Medium body, sticky, with a nice amount of carbonation. It's also got the dry crispness that I get from lambics - reminds me a little of La Folie. It leaves that too much candy mouthfeel after a while, for which I don't totally care.

D - At 4%, and with such incredible flavor, this is the perfect beer for dessert spreads. I could drink a bottle by myself and be totally fine with that - although I'd probably want to brush my teeth afterward!

This stuff is awesome - seek it out via trade if you can't hit up Wisconsin yourself.

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

11/11/07- Received via Jetsbeer in a trade.

Presentation- 750ml bottle with a nice red wax coating around the neck. Has a marking code on the bottom of the label, but I have no idea how to read it. I aquired the bottle in 2005 sometime I believe, so it's at the very least 2 years old. Poured into my Alesmith tulip.

Appearance- Very murky almost dark blood red pour. Looks like cherry cough syrup. About a 1/2 inch off white reddish head...semi-creamy. Head evaporates quickly and leaves very minor lace markings.

Smell- Nothing but fresh raspberries here. Seems like a bit of cherries as well. Seems like it may be fairly sour.

Taste- Wow, I thought it was going to be a sour style beer, but it turns out it was more sweet. Sweet in a very good way. Taste like an orchard of fresh strawberries and cherries as well. Very mildly hopped...which I was expecting more as it said it used hallertau hops (aged ones), which probably makes sense for the muted hop flavors. Wonderful sweet and lightly sour brew. The best frambroise (of the sweet variety) I have had. Doesn't taste artificial like most of them.

Mouthfeel- Thick and viscous, but not quite syrupy. Starts off with a mid range carbonation and ends with a very soft sparkle. Super coating and leaves a great fruity sweet aftertaste.

Drinkability- Wow, I wonder if this would have been better fresh. I would love to get my hands on another of these. Will have to get it via trade though. Hat's off to New Glarus!! Thanks for this one Steven.

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a cloudy, red/brown color. 1/4 inch head of an off-pink color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of strong and fresh raspberries, hint of sweet malt, and a hint of hops. Fits the style of a Fruit / Vegetable Beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. There is also a slight tartness and slight dryness. Tastes of fresh raspberries, hint of hops, hint of sweet malt, and a hint of alcohol. Overall, the aroma and body of the raspberries is amazing. The freshness is akin the Samuel Smith's Raspberry, but the blend is even better. It tastes of more than pure raspberry juice; tart, slightly hoppy, and irresistible.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Had at the brewery, probably as fresh as it gets.

A- Pours a deep mahogany red. One inch head that recedes to a ring with ample lacing left behind.

S- Amazing raspberry fruit smell. One could get "drunk" just from smelling this one.

T- Upfront with the raspberries. Slighty sweet but not cloyingly.

M- "Dances on your tongue" is the way I always describe this and the Wisconsin Belgian Red. The carbonation tingles and tickles your tongue. LOVE the way this feels in the mouth.

D/O- More of a celebration beer than something you want to make a night of. Absolutely adore this and it's brother, the New Glarus WBR. World class beer from a world class Brewery.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a bottle into a becher. Beer is about what you expect as far as color, looks red and hazy, forms a white head made up of medium to small bubbles. Head falls away leaving lacing on the glass. Beer looks good.

Aroma is full of raspberries and sweetness.

Beer is sweet and full of tartness from the raspberries. Medium to low body, lots of carbonation on the palate. Sweetness is up front and the tart is in the back of the mouth. Beer finishes rather cleanly and there is no aftertaste. Its a very pleasant experience and I love drinking this beer. If raspberries are your thing, I would check this out totally. Drinkability high, good mouthfeel.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company